Day 1 – super excited but belly is already rumbling

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Day 1 – super excited but belly is already rumbling

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 6 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Good Morning All,

I am super excited about this. I have read the book and it all seems quite amazing and my mantra is ‘Tomorrow, you can have it Tomorrow’ I work full time, so I leave the house at 6@:30am. I have brekkie at work and need something super filling – I had a smoothie today 🙁 rumbling a plenty!

I will the have my dinner when I get home at about 6pm, Haddock tonight – cant wait 😮

Does anyone have any super ideas about a really filling brekkie that I can take to work? also maybe some grazing that wont hit my meager 500 calories.

I am about 12 stone at 5ft 8 and am just a little over the mark to be honest so just want to lose about a stone maybe and get that BMI down. I also exercise 3 times a week but if I am utterly honest I just want to eat cake and have my treats when I need them so this lifestyle is perfect 🙂

Hope to here from you all soon.

thank you

Sarah

Small yoghurt with some fruit &/ or nuts maybe? Or make some mini frittatas in cupcake moulds with egg, tiny bit of cheese & whatever veggies you like? Once you’ve done a few FDs you might find you can manage without breakfast- I find I’m better off not eating at all until dinner, it just makes me more hungry, but everyone’s different.

ahh ok – so the fritata’s? One egg? is there a recipe – thank you 🙂

The first thing that strikes me is that you should at least give skipping breakfast altogether a good go – after all, IMHO, you are doing this to develop new habits, get a new relationship with food – to develop a liking for healthier food – to learn to experience hunger, to deal with that, to get used to it, to find ways of getting round that feeling that previously has made you feel that eventually you would have to give in and eat something. I’ve found the same thing with the 5:2 that many people on here have talked about – you learn to feel hungry and learn that you don’t have to respond to it – I know it sounds hard at first but, judging by what you will read around here – it’s not like having to run a marathon or do anything incredibly hard – it clearly is do-able. You can experience hunger for a while and get through it – it does just pass with time – leave it half an hour – and there are many ways that people do this – making yourself busy – go and clear the garage out, clean the house, get away from the house (i.e. fridge/food) and weed the garden, clean the car, go for a run – I go to my allotment with no food or water save an apple or a carton of juice or a flask of hot water – my 5:2 days I now see as days when I can get a lot of things done or undertake a big task – this is why I made a weekend day one of my two 5:2 fasting days – it’s not possibly to do any of the things I just mentioned at work. I’ve seen a lot of people say eat an apple or a boiled egg – these 2 strategies really do work – they take your hunger away – really give them a good go – I never eat breakfast on 5:2 fasting days – I wait until I am genuinely hungry – and even then I will sit it out, wait for the urge/impulse to pass (it usually does if you are busy with something) – having a cup of hot water – drinking something is often enough to take your mind off eating anything. I found what others have found – it’s really only difficult when you first start 5:2 – the first week or so – it is amazing that you will soon learn to manage your feeling of hunger – in effect – learn to ignore it when it comes – in fact I’d say I hardly notice it now – it’s just something you learn – you teach yourself to more or less ignore it and now I don’t really think I experience hunger in anything like the way I used to. The other big thing (I and others noticed) is that your sense of taste will change – quite dramatically – we buy a loaf a bread (I love bread) and because I eat virtually no bread now – not a conscious decision – just something I gradually moved towards – I see bread in the same group as cakes and biscuits now – anyway – we throw away several slices of bread every week or so as I make the sandwiches for my wife every day and we just don’t get through a whole loaf any more before it goes stale. I am eating and positively lusting after certain foods I never ate much or wasn’t particularly mad about – grapefruit and tangerines in particular (messy to eat at work was the main reason I think). I’m also eating more pickled things – onions, gherkins, chilies – often as snacks. I think you have to believe that this lifelong lust for sweet or fattening foods is actually something that can and will change – dramatically – it, this attachment, attachment to the idea of what you like and want, can be broken – in a fairly short period of time and the change won’t be an ordeal either – you won’t want to “eat everything you want or like” on the non-fasting days – your taste and possibly your judgement will change – and it will be a natural change – that’s my reading of what has happened to me and it seems to line up with what others have experienced too. I hope you can make it work for you. If anything – I am enjoying the taste of food, enjoying any treats I might have – more than ever – because I have no need to feel guilty about it because I am a really good weight now and leading a healthy lifestyle and it’s simple – the 5:2 days are just a habit now – I don’t even have to think anything about doing them – if I haven’t got anything sorted for an evening meal it’ll be an omelette or maybe not much at all – who cares – you say your belly is rumbling – “so what!(you should say)” – I’m not controlled at all by my hunger or by a sense of “I should have eaten something” or “eaten more today than I have” – I just have a drink and go to bed and get on with life as normal the next day. All this is easy for me to say because I am 3 months down the line but you can do it too and you have to believe it is only a relatively modest effort, a small sacrifice, for some major health benefits – probably among the largest you can or ever will make in your life. Good luck – you just have to believe in the process and that you can do it – just stick at it – always always always ignore the moments of weakness, the under-performances, the days and weeks when you don’t lose any weight – it will all come good if you just stick at it – it definitely works.

FWIW – there is a link in my profile to a screenshot of my latest progress chart so you can see how I am actually doing. hth

Sarah, with some prep the night before, you could take some quick meals with you on your way out the door: BTW, I eat 600 calories on a Fast day, so my recipes are under 300 calories. If you don’t drink my version of smoothie, subtract 90 calories from my total.
    The first recipe is like the mini-frittatas mentioned above.

Breakfast Quiche: 304 calories 0.9 g fat 9.1 g fiber 14.2 g protein 37.3 g carbs 362.4 mg Calcium GF PB
    Since the late 1960s, quiche has been the staple of the brunch table. Updated for our use as Fasters, it packs a lot of Calcium as well as tasting very good. NOTE: this makes enough for 2 meals. Invite a guest or triple the recipe and have a party. For 4 [four] muffin-sized quiches – two for breakfast, two for lunch tomorrow. 1 two-oz egg 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp nonfat ricotta or cottage cheese, both drained 2/3 oz mozzerella cheese, grated 2/3 oz Jarlsberg cheese, grated 1 oz broccoli florets, steamed, chopped HINT: do this the night before or use leftovers from a dinner 1/3 oz onion, chopped marjoram, salt, pepper 2 0z melon + 2 Tbsp blueberries
    Steam the onion and chopped broccoli until cooked. Distribute among 4 prepared muffin tins. [I used silicone muffin pans. You could use cupcake papers as well. Both choices avoid added fat and calories.] Add the grated cheeses. Mash any lumps in the cottage cheese/ricotta and whisk in the egg. Spoon over each muffin cup, putting an equal amount in each. Sprinkle with salt and marjoram. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, until quiche filling is set. Prepare the fruit, the hot beverage, and the smoothie.

‘Jian Bing ‘Chinese Pancakes’: 300 calories 6 g fat 3.5 g fiber 15 g protein 59 g carbs 202.7 mg Calcium PB This delicious treat is a popular Chinese street-food. And now it is popular in our household. Quick to cook and fun to eat. The crisp tart apple is a nice foil to the salty-spicy food. HINT: this recipe makes 4 pancakes, of which 2 will do for the breakfast. Save the remaining 2 to eat cold for lunch tomorrow.
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour 1.5 Tbsp white whole wheat flour 1 Tbsp semolina flour 2 two-oz eggs ½ cup water ¼ cup chopped scallions, white and green parts Kosher salt 2 tsp Srarcha sauce + 2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce per person: 1 oz tart, crisp apple blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon juice & hot water 5-6 oz fruit or green smoothie or natural apple cider
    Whisk together the flours, water, and one egg until lumps are gone. Hint: this can be combined the night before. Whisk again in the morning. In a separate bowl, beat the other egg thoroughly. In a custard cup, combine the hot sauce and soy sauce. Using a good non-stick pan, add 2 brief puffs of non-stick spray, then wipe with a paper towel. [Keep the paper towel handy.] Heat the pan and add 3-4 Tbsp of batter, swirling the pan quickly to distribute the batter evenly to make a thin pancake that coats the bottom of the pan. Let cook for a minute or 2, then spoon some of the egg on top and smear it around. Sprinkle with a small pinch of salt and one Tablespoon of the scallions. Cook until the egg on top is a bit set, then flip the pancake over. Brush the hot sauce mixture on top. Cook for 30 seconds, fold the pancake in 4ths, and plate. Use the paper towel to wipe the pan and repeat the cooking process until all the batter and scallions are gone. NB: I had whisked egg left over. If your hot beverage is brewed, your apples are sliced, and the smoothie is ready, then you are set for a real good start to a new day.

Egg-McArnold: 330 calories Hold the phone! Look at those calories!! Don’t worry, when this is paired with a dinner which is far under the count, the two balance out. This, of course, is the Fasting version of a fast-food favorite. This works for eating on-the-run.
    1 two-oz egg 1 Arnold-brand multi-grain Sandwich Thin [100 calories] ½ oz Canadian Bacon or 1 slice Jones Brand [20 calories/slice] 1 oz grapes blackish coffee or tea or lemon in hot water NO SMOOTHIE today
    Open up the ‘sandwich thin’ and lightly toast it. Fry or poach the egg to your liking and cook the Canadian Bacon in the same pan. Assemble, using salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy it with your coffee in a to-go cup but don’t eat in the car – sit down and slowly savor this Fast food.

Dutch Breakfast 296 calories 8 g fat 3.8 g fiber 16 g protein 36 g carbs 210 mg Calcium GF – if using GF bread
    This meal is inspired by a breakfast I enjoyed in Amsterdam in 1969. It was memorable because it is so good. Husband’s opinion? “This is my favorite Fast breakfast.”
    one 2-oz egg, hard-boiled or coddled HINT: the hardboiled egg can be made days before ½ oz ham, 3% fat from the deli ½ of an Arnold Multi-grain Sandwich Thin [50 cal] OR ½ slice 70-cal multi-grain bread [35 cal] OR one “Holland Rusk” [35 cal] 1/4 oz [1/2” cube] Jarlsberg cheese [if you used less bread, you could have more cheese] 2 oz melon or apple or pear OR a mixed fruit cup 4 oz fruit smoothie or green smoothie or unpasturized apple cider blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water
    Warm the ham in a skillet, toast the bread, brew your beverage, slice the fruit, cube the cheese. Prepare the smoothie or take the other half of the smoothie recipe from ‘fridge and shake it to mix.

Citrus Breakfast: 290 calories 1.6 g fat 3.6 g fiber 21 g protein 48 g carbs 938 g Complex] 289 mg Calcium] PB GF Is this the breakfast you imagine when you think ‘go on a diet’? Does it look like starvation rations? Banish those thoughts! Delicious, nutritious, and filling, this is a great breakfast for anyone, anyday. And it has tons of Vitamin C and A and D.
    ½ cup reduced-fat cottage cheese 2 Tbsp fat-free French Vanilla yogurthttps://www.stonyfield.com/products/yogurt/smooth-creamy/fat-free-french-vanilla-32oz 1 clementine, peeled and sectioned 2 Tbsp black currants 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or green smoothie or natural apple cider blackish coffee, blackish tea, or lemon in hot water
    Combine all the dairy and fruit [or combine the dairy and garnish with fruit after plating]. Knowing that I would have a busy morning, I did this the night before and refrigerated it. Great for a grab-and-go meal. With the hot beverage and smoothie, it is a vitamin-blast.

Eating protein helps keep you full longer, plus being good for your muscles.
    Hope these help or give you other ideas you can use.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.