countrindicated with liver problems?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
countrindicated with liver problems?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jubby 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• I have Gilberts Syndrome which can make me a bit jaundiced. Whenever I have blood tests for my bilirubin count, they often ask me to have the test on an empty stomache “as fasting will bring out the jaundice more”. I thus wondered whether the fasting days will increase the symptoms from Gilbert’s and thus make me feel somewhat nauseous and headachey? Is this diet counterindicated for people with Gilbert’s syndrome? I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has knowledge or experience with this.
    #

I would be vey interested for a reply about the above question. I too have Gilbert’s disease as well as haemolytic anaemia I haven’t got a gall bladder but I still have my spleen. When I discussed the fasting with my GP she just said hat my bilirubin would increase but shouldn’t be a problem. However after one month of the fasting diet I’m jaundiced and very fatigued friends now noticing. I’m not sure what to do? I’ve lost 5kg in 4 weeks and I had my bloods done a week ago yet to get h results. I’m perhaps going to increase my calories to 750 or maybe only one day of fasting! Does anyone have any suggestions or a similar experience?

I too have Gilbert’s Syndrome. I’ve felt amazing on this woe until my husband was really ill, followed by Ofsted. I felt dreadful then got my energy back . Exercised, mowed the lawn. over ate, did a full 24 hr fast and then I’ve had terrible kidney and stomach pains. The kidney pain went after a couple of days but a week later my stomach hasn’t fully recovered. I’ve gained two pounds but I’m hoping that’s water retention. I really want to stay with 5:2 as it is the inky woe that helps with weight loss and I do feel (normally) well on it.

I have Gilbert’s too and fasting isn’t recommended. I become bloated with stomach pains and I get very tired. Any feedback on previous posts please?
    A bit of bloating etc. is better than being seriously ill or dead but life has to be liveable in the meantime.
    I really want to try this!!!!

This is only my second day on the site but I don’t see a response from anyone on the above queries re Gilberts Syndrome. I am interested to hear back as I have this condition as well. As this is one of the official sites and it is stated that there are professionals that can assist I am wondering why they haven’t or are the responses listed somewhere else??

I’m 2 months into this now and I’ve lost 10 pounds. So far (touch wood) I’ve had no adverse reactions with regard to Gilbert’s. If anything my digestive system has been greatly improved. My usual bloating (and the associated embarrassing by product) has gone and ‘regular’ is now a common word in my vocabulary. Sorry!!! Too much info but it’s relevant and significant.
    I haven’t felt tired or depressed on fast days and my general state of mind is much improved. The fact that I’m actually losing weight helps. Drinking lots is a great help. I’ve done more (garden, house, hobbies) in 2 months than I have in as many years.
    It says in the book that you actually look forward to fast days and it’s true. I’ve had 3 days away on the south coast this week and although I haven’t gone mad with food and drink I’m actually looking forward to going home so I can start again.
    These are obviously my experiences and I’m not suggesting that everybody with GS will react in the same way. You have to take it day by day and manage it. Just the same as your normal regime dealing with this syndrome.
    I would be genuinely interested to know how other people with GS get on.
    Thanks
    Keith

I’m still going through phases and the chronic fatigue with fasting is really bad just before the time of the month.

I have been doing 5:2 for 3.5 months and also have Gilbert’s syndrome.
    Recently I stepped it up to 3 days a week and noticed a huge difference – lethargy, abdominal cramping, and brain-fog like nothing I have experienced before. Sure enough a recent blood test shows that my bilirubin is up. I am going to have to give this diet the flick which is really upsetting. Now I look back, I can see that it has disagreed with me from the get-go but I didn’t make the correlation as most medical professionals will say Gilbert’s is asymptomatic. But on 5:2, I had just about every possible symptom in the book. Fasting is not good for the disorder. No more 5:2 for me. Hoping I can keep the weight off 🙁 http://www.gilbertssyndrome.com/index.php

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.