Coping and surviving strategies for 5 2, Please add yours!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Different approaches to intermittent fasting
Coping and surviving strategies for 5 2, Please add yours!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kelly_Diet 7 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I thought it would be nice to share how we cope with the 5:2 diet.
    Here are my methods:

1. I cope best by not having my diet days back to back, I have them as far apart as possible when I can. Eg, Sunday and Wednesday. That gives me maximum time to get over it 🙂

2. You have places where you’re used to eating (Kitchen, lounge, glass of wine at the end of the garden) and you have places where you don’t (school run, working on the shop floor, in your bedroom, bathroom, shopping (for some!)).
    I cope best by being in these areas more often, so you’re not thinking about food.

3. Plan your meals. I have a smaller bowl of cereal than normal (which I have weighed out as 100 Kcal), a 150Kcal lunch, and 250Kcal dinner.
    Please note, I hate diet food! I hate vegetables! I have been doing the 5:2 on eggs and chicken. The protein keeps me going. I tried weighing out jacket potatoes for a bit, but I found I was hungrier than ever in the following morning (it’s the carbs!)

4. Have a busier day as possible, where you would barely have time to enjoy a meal anyway. I choose days that I’m working, then have out of the house chores, then school run etc.
    My absolute best days to do it last christmas, were when I found an evening christmas job. Absolutely no time to eat! Evenings are the hardest part of the day for me, so being at work where you don’t eat was ideal.

5. Reading about the 5:2 always gives me inspiration! I’m always in the mood for 5:2 when I read about it on the internet, or watching one of the many diet programs on the TV.

6.What about coping with when you’re not allowed any more food, and you’re really angry and normally comfort eat?
    Now is the time to look for things to make you happy that don’t involve food:
    -watching my absolute favourite film,
    -listening to high energy, angry music, moving onto happy music (or sad music moving onto happy if you’re sad)
    -doing exercise, or at least go on a walk for at least 20 minutes,
    -do some adult arts and crafts;
    I sadly only have 4 examples 🙁 perhaps, 1 to add to this list would be read through this forum for comfort knowing others are going through the same thing.

So, in a nutshell, DISTRACTION and AWAY FROM TEMPTATION. Eat PROTEIN and FIBRE to keep the engine running! This way, I don’t even get hungry thoughout the day!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share your ideas as to how you cope! I hope mine can help someone 🙂

Hi Kelly, my experience:
    1) Focusing on my health.
    2) Not thinking of 5:2 as a diet.
    3) Being flexible and fitting in fast days around social and work obligations.
    4) Only eating one meal on a fast day. Eating lunch or breakfast makes me hungry.
    5) Not eating carbs on FDs also makes me too hungry.
    6) Drinking lots of fluids.
    7) Miso soup in winter when I felt cold.
    8) Ridding my house of all temptations.
    9) Planning interesting meals – a protein and lots of colourful vegetables. I love vegetables! Homemade soups in winter.
    10) Using smaller plates and bowls.
    11) Keeping a food diary for accountability.
    12) Watching portions on NFDs.
    13) Reading about intermittent fasting.
    14) Joining motivational threads, monthly challenges, following Lolly and Buttonboots threads.

I found this post on another topic, and it was really helpful:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/im-not-hungry-im/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.