confused myself!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Big_Bill 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi Everyone

sorry if this has been asked before, for some reason i cant see the search bar on my computer or my mobile, to search the forums? my question is i have recently read Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon and wanted to fast i.e. no food between 2pm Monday and 2pm Tuesday, but i have managed to confuse myself with how many calories i should be eating before the fast starts and when it ends i.e. on the Monday how many calories i should eat for breakfast and lunch? and then on Tuesday how many calories for Lunch and Tea? my TDEE is 1800 calories. I know on my ‘eat’ days that is shouldnt exceed 1800 calories but have thoroughly confused myself on my fast days! would be grateful if somebody could give me an idea.
    many thanks 🙂

Hi Amcc:

What you describe is simply an every day reduced calorie diet. To lose weight, you have to reduce the number of calories you eat. Simply not eating for 24 hours does not accomplish that as you have now figured out. If you eat your TDEE before 2 pm on Monday and then again after 2 pm the next day (both easy to do), you have not reduced your calorie intake at all.

So if you want to lose weight, figure out how many calories you want to cut from your diet each week and develop an eating plan that accomplishes that goal. If you want to lose a pound a week, plan on cutting around 3500 cal. for the week. You can do that at 500 cal. a day or at any other amount you want on any days you want.

Good Luck!

Thank you simcoeluv

I worked out if i did official 5:2 it equates to 10,000 calories a week. If i do 3 days i.e weds, sat and sun 1800 cals and then 1200 cals before 2pm on mon and thursday and 1200 calories after 2pm tues and friday would equate to the same calories per week?! Or have i got this totally wrong?

The reason why im trying this 2to2 business was the research into fat burning after 20 hours without food i.e my body would start eating my fat! I have around 2.5 stone to lose.

Maybe ill just do 5:2!! 🙂 🙂

Hi Amcc:

Your body burns fat whenever it suffers a reduction in calories below its TDEE. There is no need to fast to burn fat – a vast majority of weight loss diets like WW, Sliming World, DASH and Atkins do not include any fasting but do burn a lot of fat! On the other side, if you fast for 24 hours but do not reduce your calorie intake below your TDEE, you will not burn any fat and will not lose any weight.

It is the calorie restriction that matters, not the time without eating. Here are some 5:2 tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

@amcc. There is SO much crap information on the internet. With regards to weight loss, please double the amount of crap information out there. Your body is burning a combination of glucose, glycogen and fat ALL the time regardless of your weight and the activity you are doing. Those ratios do however differ depending on your current physical condition and the activity you are doing. If you are currently overweight it is highly unlikely you will enter ketosis (fat burning dominates energy consumption) after 20 hours.

Don’t get me wrong by all means if you can do zero cal fast days go for it. Ive been doing it for over two years now. I only fast once per week now as im in maintenance. Sim is right. If at the end of the week you have not run a calorie intake deficit you will not lose weight. Its really that basic.

@amcc, it sounds like you are tracking your calorie consumption every day? If so, great effort. I struggle with that approach, I tend to do better if I just stick to as few as possible very basic rules.

Have you tried the “standard” 5:2 approach to fasting? Where your fast would extend from the night before your fast until the morning after your fast, or about 36 hours?

Daily calorie reduction is difficult for me to maintain as it tends to leave me feeling deprived and hungry. I’d rather get all my dieting out of the way in 2 or 3 days and relax for the rest of the week. It’s all about trying different things and finding out what method of calorie reduction works best for you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.