Confused as to what fast kcal should be.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Confused as to what fast kcal should be.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  RitaK7 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Salutations all,
    I am new to this, week 2, I was eating according to TDEE multiplied by 1/4, seemed to be about right. Then I read the book and now I think I may be doing it wrong and should be sticking to 500 kcal no matter what. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

BUMP

Hi Rita,

If you are just starting out the best thing to do is stick to 500 calories. If your TDEE is any higher don’t increase your allowance as it will slow down your weight loss. Once you’ve been following 5:2 for a while if you want to tweak it do so. I’ve stuck to 500 and see no reason whatsoever to change it as it works, but one of the best things about this way of eating is that we can make a few changes here and there to suit ourselves once we know what we are doing.

Good luck.

Hi there Amazon,
    Thanks so much for the advice. I am going to strive to stick with the 500kcal. I very much appreciate the advice.

I have always used the 500 cals for women on a fast day as my calorie limit when fasting. Now I have lost weight if I follow the principle of fast day calories being a quarter of my TDEE I should really only eat about 318 calories on a fast day. However, I still aim for 500 on a fast day. Also I stick to the daily TDEE allowance on non-fast days and my weight still goes down, even though my only exercise is a daily 30-40 minute walk.

Thanks for sharing Galexinda. Congrats on your success!
    Were I to do the quarter of TDEE my caloric allowance would be 725kcal/day.
    I do about 90 mins of exercise/day including Body Pump and Zumba and my weight stays pretty much the same (HIGH!!!) I am very fortunate however that my blood pressure is good 100/50, average BP is in the high 50’s low 60’s and my cholesterol is 135 with a good cholesterol of 60. I got my degree in Food and Nutrition so for the most part I eat healthy, though a few times a month to excess. Had a medical issue a 10 years back during which I gained almost 6 stone over the past few years I have lost and regained the same stones.

FIngers tightly crossed (and my goodness does that ever make it hard to type) that the 5:2 will be successful for me too. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.