Cognitive improvements

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Turnip 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Hi I am interested if anyone has used this diet for cognitive improvements.

A bit of background:

I was always a top student. I placed in the top 1% of the state, got into the state’s top law school (Adelaide University), and was in the top 1-2% of my year. In 2005, I dabbled in ecstacy 3 times and also started taking the anti-balding drug finasteride. By november of that year I started having chronic headaches (that are literally 24/7) and cognitive dysfunction. Energy levels were also adverely affected.

I subsequently saw several neurologists and have tried every known headache drug.

In 2009 i discovered i had severe endocrine dysfunction (low test, dhea, IGF-1, high RT3). I have tried various hormonal drugs but am currently only on 70mg of testosterone a week.

My health is now otherwise good but the cognitive dysfunction remains. Recently i have tried a paleo diet and noticed improvements in cognitive functioning – but it was also while on a calorie deficit. This has got me also interested in fasting. I notice if i eat non-paleo and/or high calories my functioning will deteriorate (i.e., over the most recent weekend).

Depression or any other mental illness has been ruled out. I have had various brain scans.

Hi Desmond and welcome:

It currently appears that some or all of the ‘other health benefits’ of fasting come from getting the body into a ketogenic state. The ketogenic diet appears to have a positive impact on brain function and has been used to control epileptic seizures for decades. There is some evidence it can help recovery from strokes, and research is just starting to look into its impact on ‘brain diseases’. Here is more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

Good Luck!

HiDesmond I think you may be on the right track with paleo and IF but look into LCHF too, you may have your solution in the combo there.

See if there is a Mensa Club for you to join if you are intelligent enough, it helps you know. I didn’t get my problems until I was in my early thirties and how different things might have been if I had understood things earlier, Mensa is a nice place to be so check them out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.