Cholesterol !

This topic contains 15 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  bschleh 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Hi everyone,

I was very interested in 5:2, not only to lose weight but to get my cholesterol level down.
    I’ve been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s since 2005 resulting in my being hypothyroid. Due to my underactive thyroid I have gained about 10 kg and have to monitor my cholesterol level as well.

Thanks to 5:2 I have managed to lose 6,5 kg so far. My cholesterol was 205 mg/dl (over 190 mg/dl is considered too high)last year. Now it has dropped to 162 mg/dl and my risk factor is only 2.5 (low is between 2.5 and 3.7) !

I am so happy with the results so far and plan to continue 5:2 until I reach my ideal weight. Then I will switch to 6:1.

Good luck everyone !
    Carla

I too Carla have had thyroxine problems but have done well on 5:2. After 16 weeks I,ve lost 21lbs and my cholesterol has dropped overall from 5.9 to 4, my triglycerides from 2.5 to 1.5. I’ve had to drop my oroxine from 150 to 125mg as my Free TSH dropped from 2.1 to 0.02 and I’m interested to see if this slows things down.

@carlabelgium and Beavergong:

I’ve read your comments with interest, and would like to know whether you do your fasting days consecutively, as was advised in the video, or spread in the week, as seems to be advised in the book.

And on the fasting days one meal, or spread in 2 or 3?

I would be very grateful for your answers,

kind regards,

Yunela

Yunela
    I fast generally Tuesday and Thursday and have done so for almost 5 months. I have just been on holidays and changed my days but never consecutive.
    I tend to have egg and mushroom for breakfast, homemade vege soup for lunch and fish and veges for dinner.
    Hope that helps.
    We are all different and have to find what suits us within the parameters of this way of eating.

My first husband was a tall, slim, fit and apparently healthy young man who suddenly and totally unexpectedly dropped dead following a coronary artery thrombosis. As I have two sons I have investigated extensively any reasons why this might have happened. My starter point was an eminent cardiologist who put the boys through extensive tests and didn’t have much time for the dietary cholesterol advice we are all subjected to.
    I don’t believe the popular perception about cholesterol – that it is a ‘baddy’. Dr Malcolm Kendrick has an excellent book and website on the subject and this is a link to a very brief outline by Jonny Bowden of some of the reasons we should treat this subject with scepticism http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jonny-bowden/cholesterol-health_b_2035487.html.
    I’m sure some will disagree and please, if you are under medical supervision, don’t take my word for it. This is just my opinion that I offer for your consideration.

I’ve been on fast diet for 16 weeks now and have just found out my serum cholesterol is UP – not only that but HDL is down and LDL up. Sooo disappointed. Why is this happening? Otherwise have lost around 4-5lbs which wasn’t my reason for starting the diet.

liz0, did you have your cholesterol checked after a feast day, or fast day? sometimes you cholesterol can fluctuate several points depending on what you have eaten the day before. just a thought. hang in there and see what your rate is next checkup. good luck.

Thanks MountainMyst – the test was done after a fasting day but I’ve decided to persevere anyway as so many others seem to get such positive health benefits.

My cholesterol numbers didn’t improve much. But my triglycerides improved a lot. I’m taking a very low dose of Crestor now. Before, I was taking a higher dose exclusively to try to lower my triglycerides and it wasn’t working very well while even a very low dose of the statin worked great to lower LDL. With everything there is a lot of variability between people. And I wonder about the reliability of the tests. Ideally, I’d get a lipid panel every month. I’ll get another round of tests here shortly.

I did Alternate Day Fasting (usually 4 days/week on 400 cals) for 7 months last year mainly to get my cholesterol levels down because I am diabetic and won’t take statins.. However, the level actually went up slightly which disheartened me and I gave up.
    I am wondering if the benefits don’t apply if cholesterol is a genetic rather than a food related issue? Mine is about 6.6.

I also didn’t eat as well as I need to on the non-fast days. Tried Intuitive Eating next and out on 2 stone! Am now doing 5:2 on 500 calories which is much more manageable. But I would love to get cholesterol down as well as lose weight.

just wondering why you wont take statins?

Hi David,

Statins have some very bad side effects and sometimes they are not reversible. I took statins for a couple of years but then I started waking up in the mornings with my thights aching. My Dr. took me off statins. Another friend starting noticing muscle weakness when skiing and/or doing other activities.

The literature I have read also says that the drugs that are commonly taken for heartburn are also NOT good for you. I have cut mine down from a daily dose to only taking them 5 days a week. I am thinking about dropping down to 4 days a week.

Just as there is no such thing as a free lunch, there is no drug that doesn’t have side effects. They don’t effect everyone but they can be dangerous.

Quick

@lizard4mi
    “Cholesterol is not the enemy and statin drugs do people much more harm than good ”

Thanks for these links. They provided me with info that I was not aware of before.

If you are still in doubt about whether cholesterol is anything to worry about see the Australian science program Catalyst on YouTube –
    “Heart of the Matter Part 1 – Dietary Villains”
    http://www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DrDVf-00w5gk%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&h=VAQGQrX6k&s=1

The Australian Heart Foundation has gone into meltdown due to criticism of their anti-fat/cholesterol dietary recommendations and heart healthy product “tick” program following airing of this program. A recent program titled “Toxic Sugar” is also on You Tube and next week’s episode will focus on statins – both required viewing!

Testimonial – I’m 60 with high cholesterol for the past 15 years (even on a controlled low-fat diet) and successfully kept it in check with simvastatin (Zocor) for most of that time. Two years ago, I experienced muscle cramps in legs and hands, so I stopped the statin immediately and further controlled my diet. A year later my cholesterol returned to 265 (mg/dL) and my doctor put me on another statin – same result with muscle cramps within two months, so I dropped it again back in January. Two months ago I started the 5:2 Fast Diet with no other changes (non-fasting diet or exercise) – Result on this month’s physical was a drop in total cholesterol to 235 (that’s 30 points!) and a 25 point drop in LDL (HDL dropped a small amount to 73, but is still in the good range). Triglycerides also dropped 30 points from borderline high of 129 to 98. For me, this represents tangible change in a relatively short time frame that was never achieved with diet alone. My doctor agreed to test my cholesterol further to determine the makeup of the LDL, not all of which is “bad” – please see this link to “Men’s Health” regarding control of cholesterol and types of LDL: http://www.menshealth.com/health/understanding-cholesterol-and-heart-disease. I’m now on the 6:1 Fast Diet for maintenance (no weight loss is needed) and look forward to rerunning the blood test in 6 months.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply.