Cauliflower Rice – my new Fast Day best friend!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Top tips
Cauliflower Rice – my new Fast Day best friend!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  double happy 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Thought I would share my new favourite Fast Day food with you all: cauliflower rice – it’s genius!
    Just take the florets of a cauliflower and pulse them in a food processor until they are about the same consistency as dried rice. You then just cover them and microwave them for a couple of minutes (don’t add any water though – they turn to mush!). I reckon 1 serving contains a max of about 30 calories.
    I had this with veggie chili last night. A really yummy and filling supper. The cauliflower rice adds bulk without all the calories and carbs of normal rice.
    I’m looking forwards to trying it with the meat balls from the recipe book too.

I posted this recipe some time ago…it’s a great alternative and low cal. My portion is 15 cals. If I have it with curry I add 1 teaspoon of dessicated coconut and the grated rind of of a lime and a tablespoon of lime juice. (50 cals)

I also make ‘courgetti’ …cut a courgette lengthwise into pasta like strips and microwave like the cauliflower – a good portion is 15 cals.

xx

Those both sound lovely I am going to try them both!

Apologies for my ignorance, but why do you call it cauliflower RICE if it does not contain any rice?
    Stef.

@stef …..because it is ONLY cauliflower ‘riced’ i.e. processed down to look like grains of rice. If it contained rice it would have loads of carbs and calories. This is a low calorie, low carb alternative – great for fast days.

xx

Hehe…thanks for explanation! I love cauliflower and will give it a try!
    Stef.

Cauliflower also makes a great mash! Might not be a fast day thing though cause I do like to add a slab of butter!!

Hi all just caught this thread about cauliflower rice and it interests me. I pulse frozen Broccoli and Cauliflower florets along with a half teaspoon of Turmeric and a glass of water. I take this daily. Research has shown that the aforementioned veg has some significant health benefits in combating some serious illness such as some cancers. Turmeric is used extensively in Indian cooking. It is recognised that there are low rates of Alzheimers disease among Indian men and I believe significantly lower levels of Prostrate Cancer. Research shows that Turmeric may be responsible. So a combination MAY help in the prevention of some nasty modern illness. Please do not take this information as gospel. I urge you, if interested to research these foods both on Google and Google Scholar then make your own decisions as to any possible health benefits they may bring in addition to assisting with weight loss.
    Good luck to you all.

Hi @couscous – interesting information on cauliflower, broccolli and turmeric in regard to health benefits.

I just want to point out that cauliflower rice should be quite dry, like ‘real’ rice – and cannot be made with frozen veg as this is too wet and soft. It needs to be made with raw, fresh cauliflower.

@dayna05… cauliflower mash can be made for fast days by using a tablespoonful of low calorie plain yogurt and some black pepper ….and you CAN use frozen cauliflower for this.

xx

thank you for the recipes here. I am on fasting day and it is so good to have a new taste to look forward to. right time for yet another cup of tea.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.