Carbs to Calories

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Iwant2Bincontrol 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Third fast almost over and weigh in tomorrow which I’m looking forward to. Today was breeze but gagging for a glass of wine….there’s always tomorrow.

Question – everywhere I’ve read tells me 1 gram of Carb = 4 calories but I keep finding contradictions to that in the FD book and on on-line calculators. I’m figuring it could be a brand issue….certain brands varying to others but how safe am I doing my own calculations using 1 = 4?

Example tonight – Can of Tuna on the tin Carb total per 100gms = 2.7 which would equate to 10.8 calories wouldn’t it……look’s way too low to me.
    FD book Can of Tuna 108 calories…big difference. The brand I have is brined in spring water and 98% fat free but still a massive difference in my mind.

Any helpers

Just checking: are they both the same measurement? Reading what you wrote it seems that from your tin of tuna you are only counting the calories from carbohydrates, where maybe the book is supplying total calories for the tin – including the protein and any fat (I haven’t read the book so apologies for any ignorance).
    A small tin of tuna on my pantry is around 50cal.
    Not sure if that is helpful but I hope so.

Hi Iwant2Bincontrol,
    Thanks for the reply. I’m trying to find out the best way to work out Calories from a food label that doesn’t have Calories stated. From what I have read 1 gram of Carb equals 4 calories. As an example my can of Tuna says 2.7g total carbs per 100g. From that I calculate to 10.8 calories but it seems very low to me (although it is a low fat brand in spring water brine).
    In Michaels book he has a range of basic foods listed and there calorie content per 100g. I understand this would be a guideline for packaged foods as brands would vary. For 100g Tuna he has listed 108 calories per 100g.
    Thanks for your help.
    FK

Hello again!
    Does your label show how many grams of protein and fat per 100gm? I’m sorry if I am misunderstanding, but it seems that from your label, you are only counting the grams of carbs, where the 100g in the book will include the protein (my can is 23% protein) and fat (1.5% in my case)? Mine only has traces of carbohydrate so they would provide negligible calories.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.