Carb cravings?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  danielpatrik 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi all! I’m entering my third week on this WOL I noticed I get some pretty intense carb cravings on NFD… like eat a whole loaf of bread kind of cravings. Any advice on how to deal with this?

On FD I aim for lots of protein and fat, and I’m keeping to 800 calories for now. Is it just withdrawal from not eating as many carbs on those days?

You probably need to cut refined sugars out of your diet as much as you can. Refined sugar tends to drive a lot of cravings.

There are people on this site who eat few carbohydrates and it seems to help them manage their cravings. Because of a long term bowel problem I need a very high fibre diet, so omitting grain would be a problem for me. I haven’t restricted the amount of carbohydrates that I eat on NFDs, but I have made a lot of changes to the type of foods that are high in carbohydrate that I choose.
    By eating carbs that the body can’t convert quickly into sugar you won’t get insulin spikes – that is usually the cause of the cravings.
    I either make my own bread or I buy sprouted sourdough rye or spelt bread from a local aritsan bakery. I really like the flavour, but if you are a white bread fan it will take some adjustment. Generally supermarkets and chain bakeries sell bread that is mainly white flour (even if it’s labelled rye, it’s probably only 25% rye). Health food shops and some small artisan bakeries have better choices if you don’t care for making your own bread.

I also try not to have high sugar foods like cake regularly. If I limit these to occasional treats I don’t get that urge to binge eat. I’ve found that the best way to control this is to not bring them into the house, these are occasional treats had when out of the house.

Most of my sugar comes from fresh fruit which I have used to replace the cake and biscuits I commonly ate as snacks.

I also have changed the grains I use to higher fibre choices. For example I use grains like freekah, buckwheat and barley instead of rice. The coarser higher fibre grains mean I feel full quicker and it takes my body a lot longer to digest. It also doesn’t cause the insulin spike that has you hungry again an hour later.

Some people are more sensitive to starchy carbs than others, so you will need to find your own balance on this one. I hope you find some foods that make NFDs feel normal but don’t trigger cravings.

All I can do is advise you to cut out on processed foods. They are highly addictive. Eating carb stimulates a region of your brain for production of dopamine, the pleasure neurotransmitter. When dopamine levels start to fall, feeling of being down sets in. We crave this pleasurable feel good feeling again so it leads to addiction.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.