Can you do any 24 period

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  girlwhoknows 10 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi this might seem a daft question but i ate at about 1800 hrs yesterday it’s now 1330 hrs the following day and I’ve just had a 300 cal omelette if I stick to this till after 1800 hrs today can this be classed as a fast day as I’m going out for a meal this evening it makes sense to me to class this as a fast day but then I’m eating out tonite which seems like a bit of a cheat

Yes, your 24-hour period can go at any time. You can eat at 2pm then carry on ‘fasting’ until 2pm the next day (which is nice, because you get a good night’s sleep in the middle! 😀

I think the 24 hour thing a very confusing and its taken me a while to get my head round it and still not sure I have. But the basic fast Dr Mosely does in the book starts after dinner the night before and definitely goes right through WHOLE of next day – so you couldn’t have a normal dinner as this would take you well above your 500 cal allowance. You have to wait till the next morning after a night’s sleep to eat normally again which is actually around 36 hours not 24. I’ve tried other periods which basically involve spreading 500 cals over 3 meals otherwise you can end up cheating if you’re not careful. So if I eat a normal breakfast on day 1, I spread my 500 cals fast over lunch, dinner and b’fast next morning and don’t eat normally again till lunch the next day. This works out at about a 30 hours fast. I personally think the 2pm – 2pm or 8am – 8am Mimi refers to in the book is very misleading. I think 2pm – 7pm or 8am – 1 pm represents a closer alternative to Dr M’s standard 36 hour fast.

hi,
    Hairy & allybally

i do the 1 fastday 36h plus like michael

breakfast/lunch/dinner nonfastday

sleep fasting

fastday/breakfast fasting eat nothing

fastday/lunch eat

fastday/dinner eat

sleep fasting

nonfastday/breakfast fasting eat nothing sometimes
    (most people start their nonfastday @ this time including Dr M’s)

nonfastdaylunch/dinner eat

hope this helps

I do 36 hours too, but I don’t think it matters too much if you occasionally break the rules – you will still have eaten less calories than you normally would (as long as you are careful at that dinner). In future you could vary your fast day to take account of social events

YET AGAIN conflicting answers…

24 hour period means WHAT???

CAN I eat at 8-9pm, go to bed, wake up the next day and eat 500 cals that day, before being able to eat normally again at 9pm? This being a 24 hour period?

2 days per week, week in week out, EVERY WEEK?

Yes or no???

Nevermind ‘i do a 36 hours’ or telling me what is probably ok… Yes or no to the 24 hours thing??

*thank you* sammyboyofficial – i googled 5:2 24 hour period and found your answer – VERY helpful indeed! (esp since i just did a 9:30pm-9:30pm fast day! had to have a snack!…
    tracy

Sammyboyofficial- see Michael’s reponse to your quesry which I came across on another forum. He reckons if you follow your suggested method your eight loss will be slower.

Micheal’s comments

Different ways of managing your fasting days

As we say in the book, it’s important to find a pattern that works for you when it comes to the timetable you decide to use when eating on a Fast Day.

My method is to wake up on a Fast Day morning and have breakfast of around 300 calories at about 7am, before going to work. Then I drink lots of calorie-free fluid but go without food until 7pm, when I have a 300 calorie supper with my family (I eat the 300 calories, they tend to eat rather more).

I think of it is as ‘a day of fasting’. This makes it straightforward to explain and understand. However, as some of you have pointed out, if you eat supper at 7pm on the night before a Fast and then have a normal breakfast on the day after a Fast, you can argue that you are actually eating 600 calories over the course of 36 hours (7pm Fast Day 1 until 7am two days later).

If, however, you decide to fast from 2pm until 2pm, as some fasters do, you would have a normal lunch on Day 1, then a 300 calorie supper on Day 1 and a 300 calorie breakfast on Day 2. If you have a normal lunch on Day 2 this would be a 24-hour fast, full stop. You can, of course, decide to skip lunch on Day 2 and wait till supper to break your fast.

On the 2pm-2pm method, because your fasting window is diminished, your overall weekly calorie count will probably be higher than with the 7am-7am method. You will probably lose weight more slowly.

Some people find it hard to sleep when they are hungry and for them a 7pm to 7pm method might be easier. That way you never go to bed hungry. Again weight loss will be slower. Also, here are some great suggestions from Twitter about dealing with nighttime hunger, if you’d like to look at those. If one routine doesn’t suit you, try another. Flexibility (within the basic parameters) is key – do let us know what works for you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.