Can we actually change our bodies for good?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Can we actually change our bodies for good?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Merryme 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

• Hi, reposting this as I forgot to put a title on the previous post. According to this article http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/after-the-biggest-loser-their-bodies-fought-to-regain-weight-20160502-gokkc7.html our bodies will fight to regain any weight we lose and fasting might accelerate the problem. Help! I joined 5:2 because I have been a yo yo dieter for years. Please tell me I can lose this weight and keep it off.

Read Dr Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code. Fasting is the trick to reset your set point to avoid gaining again after losing. PVE

The point is, this is a way of life, not a quick fix. Once you reach your healthy maintenance weight, and you will with 5:2, you will need to continue to eat mindfully and fast regularly for the rest of your life. But the rewards are SO worth it! 😊 PVE

It does make for depressing reading!

I think the key difference between intermittent fasting and other diets is the duration of calorie restriction and effect on metabolic rate? The 5:2 duration of fasting, alternated with ‘normal’ (not calorie restricted) days, isn’t a long enough period of calorie restriction to lower metabolic rate?

Although for those of us who’ve been yo yo dieters I’m afraid the damage will have already been done (and hence why a lot of people don’t lose weight if they eat up to TDEE – because the TDEE calculator is presumably based on people who’ve never dieted?).

Having read the Obesity Code too, it seems like intermittent caloric restriction and intermittent fasting (i.e. total food abstinence) may be realistically the only way to keep the weight off long term!

Hannah,

Where does it say that fasting might accelerate the problem?

Hannah,

Ditto on what Happy said.
    Your using some reality show as the basis of your information???? What they do is unsustainable and motivated by ratings and profits. Hopefully this is not the case for you?

5:2 is not a destination it is a journey. It is a journey you will take for the rest of your life. I now do 6:1 after reaching my target weight and I actually enjoy doing my fasts. Its like hitting a big reset button every Monday. I have found that I now eat more healthy without really trying. Sweets hold no interest anymore. On the few occasions that I do have them they are pretty much an anticlimax. Rather than craving more Im left wondering why I just had them in the first place.

5:2 works if you want it to work. Its not some magical treatment that will allow you to eat anything you want after you reach your target weight. You need to develop a pattern of eating that will be sustainable for the rest of your life. That is more than do-able using 5:2 or for me 6:1.

Good luck it works, if you want it to work.

Hi thank you big booty – that was what I needed to hear. I have lost loads of weight before but it has always come back. I was worried this might be the case again so it is great to hear from someone who is able to maintain their target weight. I am finding the program easy to stick to but it is only week one. Knowing it can work forever gives me the motivation to keep at it.

Hi,
    I misinterpreted the point slightly, apologies. What they said was “Ludwig said that simply cutting calories was not the answer.” But don’t worry. Others on maintenance have shown this can work and so I am going to stick to it. Thank you 🙂

Thank you! Don’t worry – I am going to stick with it. I have to for my long term health. I also have to stop reading every article about diets! 🙂

Lots of us have been on this wol for quite some time (my husband and I for 3 years) and know it works as a maintenance tool, too.
    Set your goal at a healthy weight for height, do proper 5:2 and mindful eating on the other days. Don’t go back to your old habits, reinvent your food choices with all the wonderful, healthy, fresh and tasty food out there.
    All the best with your journey. PVE

Hi Hannah,

I started this journey in Feb 2016. Id just watched the tour down under bike race and was a cyclist in my teens and early 20s. Now in my mid 50s. I made a decision to get back on the bike (why did I ever stop??) and lose some weight. I lost 20 kg (44 pounds) over the course of 2015. Ive been in maintenance mode since about Feb this year doing 6:1.

People approach most diets in the wrong fashion. They attack the diet, reach their goal and then go, what do I do now??? They then revert to their old eating habits and the weight just comes back again. 5:2 gets you to your self imposed weight (for me this was 92 kg (202 lbs) down to 72 kg (158 lbs)) and then 6:1 keeps you there. Its a journey, not a destination. Every Monday is like a big reset button for me. I actually enjoy my water fast (not advocating anyone else do this, I just know that it works for me).

Having “restricted” my eating of sugar (get rid of that little chestnut and your well on your way to success), and simple carbs (bread, pasta, rice potatoes etc) for over a year now I find that I really don’t enjoy them much when given the opportunity to have some. My sister in law made me smile the other day. We were at a 60th and the host was walking around offering people cakes etc. Before I could politely refuse she chimed in with, Oh he wont have any cake its got sugar in it. 🙂 I naturally tend to seek healthy foods, Im not forcing the issue it comes naturally.

It works, treat it as a journey.

It IS interesting how our food tastes change, bigbooty.Sugar loses it’s appeal, fabulous alternate foods can easily substitute for highly refined carbs. You wonder why everyone doesn’t do it.
    Increasingly I’m finding cafes and restaurants who are producing much better low carb, fresh foods and it is always easy to just eat around the refined carbs (the bread, rice, pasta) They can just stay on the plate. Fill up with the salad and veg instead.
    The flexibility of this means we can choose to overindulge sometimes and simply slip in an extra fast. No problem. PVE

Would love to understand the psychology of it all. Yes my tastes have changed as a consequence of 5:2. As a child up to the age of about 10 I really didn’t like chocolate. Then that changed and it took until I was into my 50s for that to change again.

I get a sense of frustration reading some of the posts on this forum. You would think that the concept of not having sugar would be a no brainer, especially on a forum such as this, but then I read recipes on how to bake cakes and biscuits?? Im not sure I understand the motivation as to why you would post things like that (on this forum)? Maybe the general population still don’t know the dangers of sugar and we have to keep banging on about it?

Yep. And people keep saying, “But I don’t have blood sugar problems” but it IS the insulin spikes that cause us to end up with fat.
    Interesting, also, how incredibly sweet things such as Brazil nuts, tomatoes, berries etc taste when yoy have cut down on sugar. 😊 P

There was another story in the media here this morning about the amount of sugar in babies/toddlers snacks and the misleading front labelling to trick parents into thinking they were healthy. Surely no-one can be surprised but apparently the parents don’t read the ingredients labels. I think our issue with sugar goes hand in hand with our use of processed foods for convenience. As we have eaten more salt and sugar in processed foods we have increased our “sweet tooth”. I would have said I didn’t have a problem with sugar having always preferred savoury things over sweet but when I gave up alcohol for a few months I got the most awful sugar cravings! Hidden sugars are everywhere 🙂

Well sugar is addictive, some people are more susceptible to its effects. Some people don’t think they’re addicts, even though they say they’d die if they couldn’t have cake. Some people want to have their cake and eat it. Me, I’m happy that my sweet tooth has largely left and I can now take or leave sweet ‘treats’.

Hannah, I’ve been maintaining a 13-14kg loss for two years now, still a novelty for me after a lifetime of being on the chubby side…

Like PVE and BB, I’ve largely cut out added sugar and refined carbohydrates (and naturally prefer other flavours and less processed options), and that makes a huge difference.

Hannah, read Dr Jason Fung’s explanation why calorie restriction results in lowered metabolic rate, but fasting does not. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/biggest-loser-diet-explained/
    PVE

Bigbooty, PVE,
    I am so glad that I read this thread. To learn that eventually your taste change and you don’t crave sugar anymore is a wonderful news for me. I thought I would have to battle it for whole my life.
    I am starting 5th month of the WOL, and still struggling with my cravings.
    Thank you for sharing of your experience!

Just read that blog by Dr Fung and Im agreeing with what he is saying. I think people bandy around the term starvation far too freely. “I skipped breakfast, I hope my body doesn’t go into starvation mode blah blah blah”. What??? Really you think that?? No you’re just a little hungry, that’s not the same as starvation. Starvation is a long sustained and continuous caloric deficit (weeks if not months) and the body reacts by slowing down its metabolic rate to try and survive. The beauty with 5:2 is that you restrict for only 2 days per week and eat normal the rest of the time. This prevents the body from flipping into survival mode. Periodic fasting or really calorie restriction trains your body to utilise stored fats as its energy source. Accessing stored fats is just like nature intended it to be, its the body’s “Plan B” when food was scarce.

There is a reason why we are wired to like (fruit) sugar. Historically sugar was mostly derived from fruits and fruits were seasonal. Given that fruit was seasonal (not the case now in our global world) the sweetness would encourage us to gorge and store excess as fat. A great survival system going back thousands of years. Trouble is that same system is now our worst enemy as the Western world rarely struggles for food.

Thanks PVE and bigbooty – I’ll get a hold of that book. Have a good day all.

As my grandmother did (and she was healthy to 97) ‘eat fresh, locally available, seasonal food.’ She felt different foods offered the nutrients you needed for that season. Makes sense, doesn’t it? PVE

Can someone just explain to me what Dr Fung defines as a fast? I need to order his book today.

A fast is no calories for a period of time (usually 24 to 36 hours as intermittent fasting). Water, black teas or coffee only. Dr Fung also has a concoction of bone broth and vegetables made into soup and strained, resulting in extremely low cal and no fibre. I personally see that as unnecessary.
    Google his blog. Always interesting articles. Purple

I am trying my first “liquids only” fast day. Tea, coffee, water and miso soup. All good so far.

I’m with you, but it’s about 300 and somethingth fast. 😊 Keep going!Purple

I feel like tastes do change, for me it’s been a slower process, but I wish my whole family could crave the vegetables the way I do! I am trying, I really am. On the other hand, my mother seems to be a lost cause. She is a Type 2 Diabetic and in denial about her sugar/carb addiction. She thinks as long as she can “control” her spikes she is okay. She denies eating sweets and bread everyday. Yet much of her food is actually based around sugar and bread!!

Good for you Pink. Keep giving it a red hot go. Most of the time I have my veggies raw in a big salad type dish. I have pretty plain taste in foods so I find this easy to do. Eating raw I think helps you stay full for longer.

Im assuming she is controlling her spikes with medication? You have to keep banging on about it to your mother Pink. Medications to lower sugar levels just means she is storing those calories as fat. Not good.

I should do a little experiment and measure my BG after eating some sugar and compare it to eating a slice of white bread. I suspect there will be very little difference in the BG spike. I tested myself on a big bowl of salad/veg and my BG went from 4.5 to 6.5. Once slice of pizza and by BG went from 4.5 to 8.5. Not good.

Hi Hannah- Unfortunately the media don’t know how to read research articles and often give sensationalist and innaccurate articles for us to read. It’s also necessary, when reading an article like this , not to extrapolate it out to other things. The reasearch and article talks only about former contestants of The Biggest Loser, not other people. The way they lose weight on that show is pretty unnatural. It’s nothing like 5:2, and They also seem to focus a lot of time on those hours in the gym and sensational physical tasks. Just not realistic, and unless you are an elite athlete, exercise isn’t going to use up heaps of calories in a normal life. Exercise gets us fit , not slim.

“Ludwig says just cutting calories isn’t the answer. 5:2 doesn’t do that either, as others have said. Re savoury things – it’s surprising how much sugar is in savoury things if the food comes out of a factory, so check the labels. Sometimes it’s disguised as maltose, dextrose, fructose, maltodextrin, fruit syrups, cane or corn syrup, all sugars. Good on you Hannah for taking the steps you’ve taken to normalise your weight and better your health. Good luck, and perservere with your Mum.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply.