Can I take vitamins etc on fast days

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Can I take vitamins etc on fast days

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  snorks 9 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Have started the 5 2 diet for over a month now and lost 7 kilo (from 102 to 95)
    Am very happy because I find it easy to fast.
    However, on fast days I have continued to take general vitamin tablets, vitamin B, Vitamin D and Flaxseed oil. These wont make any difference to my wait lost.
    However, I want the body to start using, on fast days its own stores of fat etc.
    Am concerned that by taking the above I may not get the benefits of cell rebuilding etc that Dr Mosley has spoken about. I want to live longer happier!
    Any thoughts most welcome.
    Thanks.

Well done with your programme and keep it up. I think you should not take medication (including vitamins and minerals) on an empty stomach. So it would make sense to take them with your breakfast or when you are having your dinner at the end of the day. Would like to know what others think.

HI,

Very new to 5.2 and started with a fast day in which I had my vitamins with my breakie.

I take a calcium/vitamin supplement with my breakfast (because the pot says to eat preferably with meals) and Vitamin C whenever I remember it.

I think it’s better to take them than not, especially if they’ve been recommended by a health professional. I find it hard to imagine that it would be detrimental to weight loss – having plenty of a couple of vitamins shouldn’t mean that your body decides it has plenty of fuel to power it, it should still want to burn some fat.

Especially the Vitamin D, you don’t get that from food so much anyway.

Pretty sure the “eat with meals” thing on some medicines is for things that might be a bit harsh on your stomach lining if the medicine is the only thing in the stomach. A small meal is plenty to stop it being bad.

Hi,
    Thanks for responses. I think that it would be better to take none of my vitamins or flaxseed oil because I thought the point of the fast is to get the body to use it’s own stores. And would vitamins be absorbed on empty stomach anyway. No disrespect to anyone who has replied already but are there any expert nutritionists out there please?
    Would love to clear this up.
    Thanks.

Eat your vitamins, they won’t mess up your diet.

“Vitamins do not contain calories or provide energy to your body”
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/267918-do-vitamins-have-calories/
    Take D with food. B just needs water.

Flaxseed oil does contain calories, so I’d either count them towards your daily limit or skip them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.