Can i have this smoothie

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  dlroseberry 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• hi everyone im struggling on my fast days with bad headaches and dizzyness and i have found a smoothie i like called naked its no added sugar and just fruit and plant extracts. They really fill me up but have around 200 or 240 calories. Can I have one for lunch and breakfast. thank you xx

Hi, shop1240 – Looking at the Naked Drinks website, I see the calorie content of their drinks range between 51-57 kcal per 450 ml bottle (that’s between 215-240 kJ, as 1 kcal = 4.184 kJ). Generally, kcal and food calories are held to be the same measurement by most dieters, so, the good news is that two bottles of these drinks would only be about 115 calories maximum, out of your fast day allowance. (See http://www.nakedjuice.co.uk/blue.php)
    The bad news for you, as a borderline diabetic, is that they are almost pure carbohydrate in the form of natural sugar. As I understand it, whilst eating lower-sugar fruits (like apples) in their natural form is not off-limits (because they contain fibre and are absorbed by the body relatively slowly), juices can cause sugar-spikes (because they have most of the fibre removed and therefore get absorbed very quickly).

Other contributors who are diabetic themselves, and more used to monitoring their intake, may be able to advise you better than I can but, from what I have read, it seems your best bet would be to learn about and follow a low-GI/ low-GL diet (GI = Glycaemic Index; GL = Glycaemic Load). This would be perfectly compatible with the 5:2 approach.

Here are a few websites which might be useful:

How to convert calories to kilojoules – http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/Weight-loss/How-to-convert-calories-to-kilojoules-20120721

Diabetes Diet and Food Tips – http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_diabetes.htm

The Glycaemic Index – http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Food_and_recipes/The-Glycaemic-Index/

Have you discussed the dizziness and headaches with your Doctor or other health professional? S/he might be able to give you some good tips to prevent the problem. I hope you do find an easily manageable way to continue using the 5:2 system and that you become healthier and happier as a result. All best wishes to you.

Are you dehydrated? Maybe drink lots of water and herbal teas. Also, I often find when changing my way of eating I feel funny at first. Body is just getting used to things. How long you been on the fast diet for? Xxx

I’m Type2 diabetic and I love smoothies but………….. If I have one, my blood sugars double even when the readings are taken 1st thing in the morning from 12 hours before so I don’t have them anymore. If you think about it, the amount of fruit required to make a smoothie is a lot, much more than a normal portion.

I was told many years ago that when you make a smoothie, the breaking down of the fruit (or vegetable) alters the nutritional value.

being a type2diab

i try 2 do low glycimic fruits and low glycymic loads

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/best-fruit-choices/

Healthy Smoothies with Low Glycemic Index for Weight Loss

Health Benefits of Low Glycemic Index Smoothies

A healthy, low-glycemic index smoothie provides essential vitamins and minerals for good health. While providing nutrition, smoothies with low GI provide a steady supply of energy by releasing glucose into the bloodstream slowly and steadily. Some of the health benefits of low-GI diets include:

Controls the appetite by sustaining a feeling of fullness between meals
    Balances energy levels
    Lowers insulin demand
    Aids in weight control
    Controls blood sugar levels
    Reduces cholesterol
    Lowers the risk of developing heart disease and diabetes
    While a low-glycemic index diet is tailored for diabetics and people who are trying to lose weight, it is also beneficial to everyone else. After all, it is a healthy diet regimen. That’s why everyone can benefit from healthy smoothies with low glycemic index.

How to Make a Healthy Low-GI Smoothie for Weight Loss

If your goal is to lose weight, your smoothie must be low-calorie and low-fat. Here’s a guide for making low calorie smoothies with low glycemic index.

Choose a nutritious base rich in protein and calcium. Low fat organic milk, almond milk or soy milk are good choices.
    Add fruits with low glycemic index such as berries. They are rich in fiber and antioxidants but contain lesser carbohydrates. Bananas and pineapple have moderate glycemic index.
    Increase the nutritional value of your smoothie by adding a scoop of protein powder. You can also add greens supplements, flaxseed powder, or almonds.
    Blend your smoothie ingredients with ice for a healthy and refreshing snack or meal replacement.
    Recipe for Low Glycemic Index Smoothie – Berry Smoothie

1 cup fresh or frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries)
    1/2 cup cranberry or cran-apple juice (no sugar added)
    1 cup vanilla yogurt (no sugar added)
    3 ice cubes, crushed
    Combined all ingredients and blend until smooth.

Peach Smoothie

This recipe has a glycemic index of 19 and contains 69 calories.

1 medium peach, peeled and sliced, or ½ cup canned peaches, unsweetened
    1 cup nonfat peach yogurt (artificially sweetened)
    Dash of ground cinnamon
    In a blender or food processor blend peach and yogurt until smooth. Crushed ice and a dash of ground cinnamon may be added if desired. Makes 2 servings.

hope this helped

I get dizzy (only rarely) on fast days from low blood pressure. It happens sometimes when I squat down and stand up quickly. If it’s blood pressure, lying down will instantly fix it. I had this all the time when I was young, but it had gone away as my blood pressure rose with age. Now it’s back, but only on fast days. I don’t consider it a big deal, but I’m familiar with it. If getting down doesn’t fix it, then it’s something else, possibly a response to ketosis.

Some people get headaches easily whenever there are physical changes in their body. Fasting is a fairly major change, inducing ketosis, which could cause a headache.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.