Can 5:2 increase diabetes risk in women?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
Can 5:2 increase diabetes risk in women?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Amazon 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• I read earlier this evening that doing the 5:2 could actually increase diabetes risk for women who are only moderately overweight

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/373665/Caveman-fasting-diet-may-leave-women-diabetic

My father developed late onset diabetes and I am keen to avoid it. I am slightly overweight 5’6″ and 10st 10lbs. I am probably pear shaped rather than apple. Please can someone advise me on this?

I love doing the fasting, but am worried that I might be doing more damage than good?

Hi @alison Cross, Thank you for the link. I wouldn’t be put off intermittent fasting by the opinions in the article – The research mentioned showing no benefit refers to a small trial of only 8 women followed for just 3 weeks and the research on rats on a ‘restricted diet’ will not have the same effect as intermittent fasting.
    This is not what the longer term studies with big numbers show. Dr Michelle Harvie’s excellent work, in 2 recent studies of over 200 women doing 2 day fasting show that there are significant improvements in both weight loss and improved insulin sensitivity (also confirmed by Varady with alternate day fasting).
    Interestingly the insulin sensitivity improves regardless of weight loss. I am not sure what the evidence is regarding being pear shaped, but don’t be put off as there is good evidence supporting the metabolic benefits and reducing risk of type 2 diabetes. Good luck and glad to hear that you are enjoying the fasting! Clare (Michael’s wife and a GP)

Hi Clare,
    It was really helpful to read this response regarding the risk of diabetes for women that was expressed in this article.
    The article also explored the fact that women’s fertility could be decreased and ovary shrinkage had been shown in rats that had been tested on this diet/similar.
    I just want to check whether you have had any experience with decreased fertility with patients as a result of the fasting diet?

I am overweight and hoping to start having children in a few years – I am really interested in the diet but I am a little concerned about this particular issue.

I doubt very much that this WOE can have anything other than health benefits, and I don’t see how losing weight, eating healthily and potentially lowering insulin resistance could increase the risk of developing diabetes.

Obesity can contribute to infertility, and I doubt very much that being within a healthy weight range is anything other than optimum for someone trying to conceive.

As for IF causing infertility, one only has to look at the birth rate in third world populations who live in challenging circumstances, where there is not a meal on the table every day and people are forced into IF, to know that it is not so.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.