Bulk fibre and coping with lower throughput due to fasting.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Bulk fibre and coping with lower throughput due to fasting.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Firefox7275 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I used to have a reasonably good diet – but I ate too much of what I liked and over time, as I aged, I became cornered into a less active lifestyle, and since starting intermittent fasting to lose weight, I have found that I cannot match my reduced dietary fibre intake with my bowels demands for fibre.

I feel full after smaller meals, I cannot take any more at meals, but my lower intestines need the throughput that I have been used to for the last 30 years!

Thus I have become out of balance, less regular, often more constipated, uncomfortable and generally out of sorts, while enjoying the benefits of weight loss, increased energy and ability to do stuff, this is not a total joyride.

Increased flatulence is embarrassing now.

Has anybody got an enjoyable solution, or is it a case of seasoning everything with a spoonful of bran, extra chilli or taking things like lactulose to move the problem along?

I have had the same problem as you in the past. I now have a teaspoon of inulin in a drink twice a day. I also have Suma Organic bran sticks on non-fasting days (Amazon sells them). They are a whopping 38% fibre. So a 25 gram portion gives you 9.5 grams of fibre. I sprinkle them on toast, in soups, yoghurt or any moist food (they’re not great on salad!). 25 grams is not so bulky a portion and it’s easy to get through that amount in a day. I have to say it really helps to up the fibre content without you really noticing as they are pretty tasteless. You have to drink lots of water too of course.

Maturing does not have to mean becoming less active, but can mean changing the type of activity we do. Research suggests we do not have to become measurably fitter to benefit health-wise.

Consider a tai-chi/ yoga/ pilates/ chair-based exercise/ aqua aerobics session that is specifically targeted at seniors or at those with issues affecting mobility.

Reducing calories overall does not have to mean reducing your fibre intake if you switch lower fibre options for higher fibre ones. Be sure to have a variety of different fibre-rich foods not just bran. Increase your water intake as you increase the fibre in your diet.

Dr Mosley addresses constipation on p.144 of The Fast 800 book. Another option is to read his earlier book The Clever Guts Diet.

HTH!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.