Broad Bean Shocker

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  franfit 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• I’ve been thinking about reducing my refined carbs/sugar intake and having a look at some Glycemic Index charts. I was really surprised to find that broad beans have a really high GI. I’m also quite upset by this because I have grown 4 rows of broad beans which are just coming on stream and we will be eating them probably daily for the next few months! And I love them! And you would think they would be ultra healthy! Why are they so high? And if there are any nutritionists reading this, does it make any difference whether they are young and tender, or old and starchy?
    Also what is the difference between glycemic index and glycemic load? The load says ‘low’ while the GI is high.
    You can probably tell I haven’t quite got to grips with GI yet!

StraR, the short answer is, if the GL is low and you eat them as part of a mixed meal (with foods that contain protein and fat) they will work out fine. Will try to give the long explanation later. Anyway, they are definitely not refined 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.