Breakfast ideas please !

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Priyavk 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi all

I have seen other posts about breakfast recipes but they tend to involve eggs which I don’t eat.

I love porridge but I’ve tried it with water and really struggled with this.

So I am stuck ! I’ve scoured the net but can’t find a receipe that really helps.

Please help !

Thank you in advance!

PriyaVk

Maybe some of these will work for you, Priyavk: [there are references to my blog posts which will take you to some of the recipes.]

10-Grain Pumpkin Pudding: 277 calories 7.6 g fat 6.8 g fiber 12.8 g protein 41 g carbs 249.4 mg Calcium PB The delicious, nutty grains in the cereal seemed to call out for pumpkin and spices, and here’s the result. This recipe is easily prepared the night before and refrigerated for a quick and delicious breakfast.
    4 Tbsp Bob’s Red Mill 10-Grain Cereal Mix ¾ cup water 1 Tbsp ricotta cheese, reduced fat 1 Tbsp pumpkin puree, canned or fresh 1 tsp maple syrup nutmeg + cinnamon ½ oz raspberries, fresh or frozen 1 Tbsp pecans, chopped 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or green smoothie or natural apple cider nearly-black coffee or tea; or lemon in hot water.
    Cook the cereal with the water for about 8 minutes on the stove. HINT: do this the night before to save time in the morning. Stir in the cheese, pumpkin, syrup, and spices. Pour into a microwave-safe ramekin. HINT: you could get this all done and put it in the ‘fridge until morning. Brew the hot beverage and prepare the smoothie. Microwave the ramekin for no more than 1 minute. Plate with the fruit and sprinkle the nuts on top of the hot cereal. Ridiculously easy for a meal so satisfying.

Rounds, with Pan Muffin: 272 calories 3.3 g fat 2.5 g fiber 11 g protein 49 g carbs 206 mg Calcium PB All the foods in this meal are round, hence the name. Easiest way to prepare this is with Canadian bacon [back bacon to readers in Canada or the UK], although the ham patty is yummy. Make the pan muffin days in advance or combine the ingedients the night before for simplicity in the morning.
    1 slice Canadian Bacon [back bacon to Canadians] one pan muffin [see ..Not by Bread… Dec_ 2017] 2 oz apple slices OR 2 0z applesauce blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water 5-6 oz fruit smoothie, green smoothie or natural apple cider
    HINT: For easiest breakfast preparation, form the ham patties the night before and also mix and cook the pan muffin recipe the night before. Freeze remaining batter or save for muffins tomorrow. Brew the hot beverage and blend the smoothie. Slice the apple and plate it. Cook the ham patty or Canadian Bacon. Warm the previously-cooked pan muffin. Done!

Roman Breakfast: 270 calories 3.5 g fat 4.2 g fiber 14.2 g protein 41 g carbs [– g Complex Carbs] 187 mg Calcium PB Though a bit unusual, this is a very good plate of breakfast food, based on foods available to Romans in the 1st century BCE. It is satisfying and flavorful. Try it.
    1 Pan Muffin [see ..Not by Bread.. Feb-7-’18] 1 oz pear 1 oz cooked chicken 1 oz radish 1 oz cucumber [optional: ½ medjool date = ¼ oz] blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water 5-6 oz green smoothie or fruit smoothie or unpasturized apple cider
    Dice all the fruits and vegetables. Add a good finishing salt and gently stir to combine. HINT: I did this the night before and refrigerated the mixture. Prepare the pan muffin or take from freezer with time to thaw/heat. In the time it takes to brew the coffee, you can plate the muffin and the fruit-veg mixture. Romans did not drink smoothies or coffee, but we will. Hope you’ll enjoy your throw-back breakfast.

Red White and Blue: 295 calories 1.4 g fat 3.8 g fiber 20 g protein 45 g carbs 504 mg Calcium PB GF if using GF bread Ricotta is higher in protein and Calcium than cottage cheese, but you could substitute that if you wish.
    ½ cup fat-free ricotta ¼ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen [if frozen, keep frozen until ready to use] ½ cup sliced strawberries, fresh or frozen [after slicing, put into a strainer to let the juices drain] 1 slice of 70-calorie multi-grain bread [Nature’s Own] cut into a star with the largest cookie cutter that will fit the bread large pinch of cinnamon sugar blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water 5-6 oz fruit smoothie, green smoothie or natural apple cider
    Cut your slice of bread with the star cookie cutter, freezing the scraps for use in Crab Cakes or Stuffed Clams or Crab-Stuffed Flounder. Sprinkle the bread with a small pinch of cinnamon sugar and toast it. Measure the ricotta onto your plate. Put the fruit on top. [I do not recommend stirring the fruit into the cheese, since it will ‘stain’ the cheese.] Top with a small pinch of cinnamon sugar and plate with the toast. Pour the hot beverage and the smoothie. Huzzah!

Nordic Breakfast: 281 calories 12.7 g fat 7.1 g fiber 16.5 g protein 37.5 g carbs 201 mg Calcium PB This is based on a recipe from the Fast Diet book, but I always thought it looked like a puny anount of food. Au contraire: this will fill you up. Note that today we will serve only half of the usual smoothie amount.
    3 slices of Finn Crisp crackers 1.3 oz smoked salmon 2 Tbsp whipped cream cheese 2 rings thinly sliced red onion ½ cup raspberries blackish coffee NOTE: 3 oz smoothie
    Carefully spread the cream cheese on the crackers. Divide the salmon among them. Arrange the onion rings atop the salmon. Slice the apple and pour your hot beverage.

Oatmeal Pudding: 301 cal 3 g fat 3 g fiber 15 g protein 16.3 g carb 198.6 mg Calcium GF PB A riff on a recipe found in Marion Cunningham’s Breakfast Book, this can easily be prepared the night before. NB: THIS MAKES ENOUGH FOR TWO [2] SERVINGS.  Make them both, as two are as easy as one, and freeze the other.
    1/2 cup rolled oats, cooked in 1 cup water 2 tsp maple syrup ½ cup fatfree cottage cheese pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon 4 Tbsp. blueberries [fresh or frozen] 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or natural apple cider blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water
    Cook the oatmeal in the water. Take off the heat, stir in the maple syrup and nutmeg. While it is still a little warm, stir in the cottage cheese. Let sit to cool. HINT: I did this part the night before while cleaning up after dinner. If making one portion, pour half of the pudding into a freezer container and top with 2 Tbsp blueberries. Freeze it. HINT: make the entire batch, eat half of it today and freeze the rest for a really simple-to-prepare breakfast for another day. With the remainder, stir in 2 Tbsp blueberries and pour the pudding into a ramekin. Nuke it for a minute to heat through – longer than that and it will bubble over. Serve with the fruit smoothie, and hot beverage for a hearty, healthy meal.

Improper English: 289 calories 2.5 g fat 5.8 g fiber 16 g protein 61 g carb 210.8 mg Calcium NB: those are COMPLEX carbs, the kind that are good for you. Or, you could eliminate the bread. A “proper English” is the full Victorian breakfast, serving every conceivable food you can imagine. This version leaves out the eggs and kippers [how improper!], but keeps the protein-rich baked beans along with the rest of the usual stand-bys.
    ¼ cup baked beans one slice 3%-fat ham 1/4 piece of 70-cal whole-grain toast ½ of a 2.5” diameter tomato 1 oz mushrooms a few grapes 5-6 oz fruit or green smoothie or unpasturized apple cider blackish coffee or tea or lemon in hot water
    Cut the tomato around its equator and put one half away for later. Salt the tomato and put under the broiler until it softens. Cook the ham and mushrooms in the same pan to heat through. Heat the beans – perhaps in the microwave. Toast the bread and brew the hot beverage. Pour the smoothie and plate everything.

Bannock & Bacon: 284 calories 3.8 g fat 3.2 g fiber 18.7 g protein 43.6 g carbs [33 g from fruits/vegetables] 176.5 mg Calcium PB For years we have enjoyed this on Slow Days, only to find that it fits for Fasting, too.
    3 two-inch bannock [see …not by Bread… 7 feb 2018] 2 slices Hormel https://www.makethenaturalchoice.com/Products/Bacon/Natural-Choice-Canadian-Bacon Canadian Bacon OR Jones https://www.jonesdairyfarm.com/products/bacon/canadian-bacon/uncured brand [ back bacon of 60-70 calories] ½ cup applesauce
    blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or green smoothie or natural cider
    Prepare the bannock according to the recipe and bake. Warm and lightly brown the Canadian bacon. Plate the applesauce and pour the beverages. Simple and delicious.

binda, that’s an awful lot of carbs and a very high glycemic index. Not the Fasting that Dr Mosley had in mind.
    Fasting is not about ‘detoxifying.’ Your liver and your kidneys do that every hour of every day for free.

We’ve used two different breakfasts over the last 5.5 years:

1) 30g Porridge, 100g skimmed milk, 50g water, 40g blueberries – I calculated it to be 184 calories. Sometimes we also add a zero calorie sweetener although
    none of the flavours are great.

2) 40g Granola, 40g Yoghurt – I calculated it to be 225 calories

We use Lizi’s granola which has a low glycaemic load.

Both are quick and easy to prepare.

We use porridge when the weather is cold and granola when it isn’t. We also tend to simply have larger helpings of the same meals (plus blueberries for the granola) on the non-fasting days, except Sundays when we usually have bacon or sausages and eggs.

Hope this helps.

How’s it going, Priyavk?

Hi fasting_me !

So far the best breakfast has been the strawberry banana smoothie coming in at 171 calories. It’s in Dr. Mosely book.

I started 5:2 in July at 68.4kg at present I am hovering between 65.8kg and 66kh

really happy with results

Thank you for asking and hope you are well too!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.