Breakfast

This topic contains 17 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Sewerdoctor 3 years ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

• Any tips on breakfasts? Just joined the site and will ne doing my first fast day on Tuesday.

Welcome Donnam103. When I started 5:2 in August 2014, my OH agreed to do it with me for support. He eats by the clock so I had to devise three FD ‘meals’ to keep him interested. For breakfast we had 30g of oats & a half tsp honey. Add water, wait. Add more water, wait. It bulks up. Eat slowly with a teaspoon! Surprisingly filling.

Nowadays, I prefer to hold my calories in the bank and don’t eat anything until 2pm when it’s cauliflower soup, 103 cals. From memory, there are breakfast suggestions in Dr M.’s book. Essential reading. Good luck!

2 possibilities:
    2 boiled eggs and 2 cherry tomatoes.
    Half a banana and low fat yogurt.

Good luck.

Avoid morning calorie sinkholes like muffins, bagels, and pancakes, and order a protein-packed egg sandwich instead. To save calories, hold the cheese

How many calories is the egg sandwich? 🙂

Donnam: on Mondays, we have one of many baked egg recipes. on Thursdays, we have omelettes.

Cheesy-Bake: 248 calories 4.6 g fat 6.2 g fiber 12.1 g protein 40 g carbs 267 mg Calcium PB GF This is the baked version of a cheese omelette that thinks that it is a cheese souffle! Delicious.
    One 2-oz egg 1/2 oz cheddar cheese, grated 1 Tbsp reduced fat ricotta cheese 1/2 c raspberries [When I use frozen fruit, I portion it into its dish the night before, so it will be thawed by morning] ½ oz apple, sliced blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon juice & hot water, 5-6 oz fruit smoothie or natural apple cider
    Spritz a ramekin with olive oil or non-stick spray. Set the toaster oven at 350 degrees F. Stir the two cheeses together with a fork until blended and whisk with the egg. Without waiting, pour into the ramekin and bake for 12-15 minutes, until puffed and beginning to brown. Prepare the fruit and beverages and enjoy a cheesy start to your day.

As for the egg sandwich, it depends on the bread. If your bread is <70 calories, you could do one egg and 2 pieces of bread for 210 calories.

Here’s another sandwich:
    Egg-McArnold: 330 calories Hold the phone! Look at those calories!! Don’t worry, when this is paired with a dinner which is far under the count, the two balance out. This, of course, is the Fasting version of a fast-food favorite. This works for eating on-the-run.
    1 two-oz egg 1 Arnold-brand multi-grain Sandwich Thin [100 calories] ½ oz Canadian Bacon or 1 slice Jones Brand [20 calories/slice] 1 oz grapes blackish coffee or tea or lemon in hot water
    Open up the ‘sandwich thin’ and lightly toast it. Fry or poach the egg to your liking and cook the Canadian Bacon in the same pan. Assemble, using salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy it with your coffee in a to-go cup but don’t eat in the car – sit down and slowly savor this Fast food.

For me breakfast is mostly about nutrition. I don’t worry about the calories just the nutrition. Lately it is based on oatmeal from just plain rolled oats. I add peanut butter and a little dark chocolate for favoring. It top it off with fruit, typically 3 or 4 servings of fruit, sometimes more. Lately I’ve been using raisins, prunes, figs, bananas and blueberries. I go a little heavy on blueberries and I’m find them very filling. Fruit is pretty much my only source of sugar as I tend to go with pretty bitter dark chocolate. I tend to use a lot of fresh fruit and less of the dried fruit.

There is some protein in the oatmeal and a good amount in the peanut butter, but in general I’m keeping my protein consumption down a bit. I have found large amounts of protein are not necessary for me building muscles. I typically build muscle slowly no matter how much protein I eat. It is common to push protein for diets that focus on burning fat. It is unclear if that is actually a safe or healthy thing to do.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So it is essential to have healthy food for breakfast. Try to include nutrient and protein rich food in your breakfast along with the milk. Even if you skip your lunch and dinner, never skip breakfast.

Actually, Braklin, how one views breakfast is rather more individual than that. True, some people feel faint if they don’t eat upon waking. But the ‘most important meal’ thing is an invention of the nutrition fad of the 1800s. For centuries people ate their first meal hours after waking, and it wasn’t what we’d call breakfast. My husband needs breakfast right away, I can wait a bit. Some people start eating around lunch time with no ill effects.

We skip lunch on Fast days. Today we had egg-avocado-crab-cottage cheese baked in a dish for breakfast. Really fast and easy. Tonight we’ll have a variation on ‘mixed sushi’ with brown rice, grilled beef, smoked salmon, egg, and cucumber.

I don’t eat breakfast on FD and if I eat it on other days it’s usually only oatmeal, a piece of toast or a bagel. I find that I’m starving by lunch time if I eat breakfast, no matter what I eat. I’m not hungry until around noon – 2:00 if I skip it. On FD I eat a light lunch and a little more for dinner, keeping the calorie count under 500 calories. Lately I’ve been having a small can of of salmon with lemon juice and lemon pepper at lunch, just because it’s convenient when I’m working. Dinner is often soup, an apple or sometimes oatmeal. Just enough to keep me from feeling hungry. Many people here find it easier to not eat anything on FD and just do a water fast. I’ve tried that a couple of times, but prefer the 500 calories. It doesn’t seem as extreme.

@califdreamer – If you want a filling breakfast:

1) ditch the bread, it digests too quickly
    2) use plain rolled oats, don’t go with favored oats use plenty, typically cooks in 2 minutes in a microwave oven
    3) sweeten with blueberries, like a lot 100 to 200g worth. (~100 calories)

The blueberries make a gel inside and slow down the slow to digest oats.

Personally I use a lot of fruit because I like the favors, but it is the blueberries that makes it super filling. I also add some peanut butter (made only from peanuts) because I like the favor and I don’t care about the calories. However if I only had one thing to use, it would be blueberries because they make the oatmeal very filling.

@califdreamer – If you want a filling breakfast:

1) ditch the bread, it digests too quickly
    2) use plain rolled oats, don’t go with favored oats use plenty, typically cooks in 2 minutes in a microwave oven
    3) sweeten with blueberries, like a lot 100 to 200g worth. (~100 calories)

The blueberries make a gel inside and slow down the slow to digest oats.

Personally I use a lot of fruit because I like the favors, but it is the blueberries that makes it super filling. I also add some peanut butter (made only from peanuts) because I like the favor and I don’t care about the calories. However if I only had one thing to use, it would be blueberries because they make the oatmeal very filling.

Peenut Butter Banana Smoothie

1/2 banana
    1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
    1 cup ice cold skim milk
    Procedures

Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.

Enjoy this smoothie as a mid-morning snack or before you work out for a boost of protein, dietary fat, and fiber.

Does anyone else have the smoothie from the 5:2 book for breakfast?

Loretta, do you mean this smoothie:

Fruit Smoothie, Michael+Mimi: 80 calories 0.4 g fat 3.5 g fiber 4.2 g protein 16.2 g carb 131 mg Calcium This recipe is from the Fast Diet book, further quantified by me. PB GF
    HINT: this makes enough for 2 servings, so reserve the rest for another breakfast which will save you time.
    6” of banana [3.0 oz] ½ cup plain, non-fat yogurt 2 oz fruit
    [either ½ cup mixed berries or 7 one-inch strawberries] 8-10 ice cubes
    Blend at low speed at first to break up the fruit, then at higher speed to blend. HINT: I make up ‘kits’ in advance. In a freezer-safe container, I place all the ingredients except the ice cubes and freeze it days to weeks in advance. The night before a Fast Day, the Smoothie Kit comes out to thaw on the counter overnight. Much simpler.

We used to do that one, but now we do this: It gives us more fruit.

Berry-Yogurt Smoothie: 88 calories 0 g fat 0.9 g fiber 2.8 g protein 18 g carbs 91.5 mg Calcium PB GF Dear Husband was inspired to create this, in an effort to get more Calcium in our diet. HINT: Makes 4 [four] servings
    1 cup yogurt [½ plain, fat-free + ½ French Vanilla, low-fat] 2 oz banana 2 oz mixed berries 4 oz fruit juice with fiber 8 oz orange juice HINT: I combine the fruits and put those in the freezer as ‘kits.’
    Put the yogurt, fruit, and fruit juice in the blender/VitaMix/container for using immersion blender. Whiz it on HIGH until everything is blended and no bits of berry are seen. Add orange juice and blend on low. Put what you don’t use today into the ‘fridge for another day.

Do you like sweets? Then I can advise you this site.

https://club.cooking/recipe-category/jam/
    You’ll like it.

We never have breakfast. The myth of the most important meal was promoted by Kelloggs to sell their cereals. Two or three cups of coffee fills any pangs.

We eat around 1pm, usually porridge made with water and a banana or blueberries.

How about yogurt? Especially homemade yogurt? I’m entertaining the idea after reading this (https://yogurtnerd.com/best-yogurt-starter-cultures/) and thinking if I should go for probiotic.

My favourite FD breakfast is a bowl of fresh blueberries and raspberries with 40g of full fat Greek yogurt, plus 1/2 tsp honey in a cup of hot water and cider vinegar.

Breakfast isn’t about when it is eaten but what is eaten. Some people simply aren’t hungry or cannot cope with food as soon as they get out of bed.

My breakfast is rarely before noon as I’m simpy not hungry before then.

I’ve been making my own yoghurt for several years using organic full fat milk and the last couple of spoonfuls of the previous batch as a starter, and it is as good as and cheaper than anything I can buy.

Two eggs and two slices of whole wheat homemade bread with lots of vegetables! 🙂
    I just love this beakfast. It fill me for a long time

Skip breakfast and prolong your fast. It’s probably the easiest way to maximise your fasted period by being asleep for most of it.
    Most of the suggestions on here look like you’d have most of your calories for the day by 8 am!
    If you must have something because you get low blood sugar or something, avoid carbs/sugar and just have an egg or something that packs as much nutrition as possible into the fewest calories.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply.