Blueberry confusion!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  silverback 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Can anyone help?
    In the back of the fast diet book, where the calorific content of foods is listed, blueberries are down as 60 cal for 100g. However in the recipes section when blueberries are used they are given as 37 cal for 145g (Breakfast on Day 2 for women)and 18 cal for 70g (Breakfast on Day 9 for women)which works out at about 25 cal for 100g. I’ve also looked up the calorific content of blueberries on the Web and had varying answers ranging from 15 cal for 100g to 30 cal for 100g.
    Anyone have any idea why there is so much variation (especially within the book itself) and what the actual calorific content of blueberries is? I love them so I’d like to include them in my diet, but am not sure what weight to allow myself.
    Thanks!

Hi

According to the US government Department of Agriculture food database – link below – 60 calories for 100g would be right. They have it as 57 kcal which is close enough as it will obviously vary slightly between different varieties of blueberry. (N.B. one kcal in these tables is equivalent to what most people call a calorie.)

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2244?fg=Fruits+and+Fruit+Juices&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=25&sort=&qlookup=

Thanks Pat.

Hi, Dilly
    If you use my spreadsheet – without alteration – you’ll get 60 cals per 100g.
    As stated elsewhere, if you Google for ‘Calories in blueberries’ you’ll get a result of 57 per 100g, but that seemed to be taking calorie counting a little too seriously for me!

Silverback

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.