Blood tests show not so good!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Blood tests show not so good!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  franfit 9 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi,

I’m an “old lady” from Finland (65 in August). In April 2013 I started a process to lose 15 kg. In August 2013 I’d lost 6 kg and started 5:2. In April this year I’d lost totally 10 kg and both me and my doctor were very satisfied. But and this is a big but: for years I’ve eaten medicin both for cholesterol (not statin) and diminished ability to resist suger. A week before my latest blood test I stopped to take those medicine, because I wanted to find out how the diet had worked and I was really surprised. I’ll quote here the results of blood test six months earlier and this latest one, so you can see how they were:

glucose 6.0 –> 6.1 mmol/L
    total cholesterol 5.3 –> 6.3 mmol/L
    HDL 1.69 –> 1.95 mmol/L
    LDL 3.3 –> 4.0 mmol/L
    triglyceride 1.32 –> 1.53 mmol/L

Although they all are within the limits (except LDL), all the results have gone worse and even my ALAT (liver test) had risen from 20 to 36!

I’ve eaten a bit more calories during the fasting days (about 600-800) and in the normal days I’ve stayed in 1900-2000 calories. My BMI is over 40, but I don’t have high blood pressure and I’m exercising three times during a week. In otherwise 5:2 has suited me well, but have you noticed some differents between men and women? For instance, I’ve read that Atkin’s diet works better for men than women.

I’m going on with 5:2 and hoping the results will get better. Anyway, I’m slowly loosing weight so at least that’s pleasing!

rusinasoppa, while people are in the process of losing weight, their cholesterol measurement often goes up, as fat is liberated from the fat cells to be used by the body. Once people reach and stay at their goal weight, it comes down. I’m not sure if the same is true for triglycerides, someone else may know. Am I correct that the first numbers were when you were on medication and the second numbers were with medication stopped? If so, that could also be a contributing factor. You might need to wait until you’ve lost more weight to go off your medications.

Many women lose weight more slowly than many men on 5:2, but we are losing. I have managed to average about a pound a week weight loss over 38 weeks; I’m 57. Many women, especially those with lower BMIs and lower TDEEs, lose more slowly, but at least it stays off as long as we carry on 🙂

Hi franfit,

Thanks for your answere. Yes, you are correct about my medication. Well, I’ll just have to be patient. I’m a bit sceptic wether I’ll ever been able to go off the medication, but at least i’m going on my 5:2 diet and the next goal is -5 kg till October, when I’ll have my next medical examination. And my doctor told me to take my medication 😉

rusinasoppa, I agree, best plan is to just put up with taking the medication for now, lose the weight with 5:2, let it stabilize for a month or two, then get cholesterol re-checked with medication; if it’s good, try going without medication, then get it re-checked at whatever point the medication will have worn off. BTW, not to go against your doctor’s advice, but according to poster simcoeluv recent research shows that higher cholesterol levels are not necessarily bad for us older folks. Unfortunately the official guidelines that doctors are supposed to follow always take a while to catch up with new research, but maybe you will get to go off your medication in any event 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.