Blood sugar

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nika 10 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• I’ve been doing the diet since Easter and have lost about 10lbs. One of my friends is also doing the diet, but struggling to lose weight. When she had her company medical, the doctor told her that it was not a good diet as your blood sugar went up dramatically and down dramatically.

Is this true?

Sure – blood sugars change dramatically. Each morning after a long good night of sleep (8-10 hrs. fasting) and eating a high sugary breakfast!

Your body can cope with those changes. He can learn it and he will learn it.

Nothing to worry about! I’m doing alternate-day-fasting, fasting a complete day and eating the next day since April. No troubles.

Q

Quizzle, how much weight have you lost with alternate-day-fasting?

For me this is particularly interesting over Christmas as apparently you do not have to watch TDE at all. I would not want to do this all the time but for example yesterday I had a dinner where I definitely overindulged and therefore today is a fast day.
    Stef.

Hi, Stef.,
    I’ve started in January with the warrior diet, which is just 4 hours for eating a day – don’t care about calories, just 4 hrs for consumption and that’s it. This was comfortable and body weight/body fat loss was steady. I’ve lost 8 kg within 4,5 month.

In April I’ve stumbled over the book of B. Ludwig (www.10in2.at) and decided after some hesitation to try this program.

At the beginning it was a steep weight loss – 7 kg in 2 month without giving any care to daily calory input on mz eating days.
    But since then I never gained such rates again – after putting some weight on again in holidays I’m back on the program since August and the weight loss is now very slow – 500g or so in a month? Complete fasting for more than 90 days now but weight loss is slowing down.
    I guess, the body has adjusted to this program so it’s time for a change again.

I’m doing sports 5 times a week for 45 min., endurance exercise and resistance training so this part is hard to improve.

Now I’m thinking about putting some more care on my diet again. My diet is quite good but still just too much in calories (still too much choc and bad carbs…don’t need to count that…).

I’m now thinking about finishing up the remains of my “shaking era” – I still have some powders and protein shakes which can make me go for a couple of weeks.

Nervertheless, ADF is great an helped me a lot in improving my eating habits. I will definitively stick/return to the programm but now I need to get a kick to drop some additional kilos before I can settle as a happy intermittent faster in a comfortable BMI-range.

Q

Great to hear about your weight loss! I have to admit though that the four hour diet seems pretty brutal to me as I find 16:8 already tricky and I could not see myself doing a four hour window of eating long-term.

At the end of the day though it works for you and that is brilliant! I have lost five kgs in the last 4 1/2 weeks with a combination of 5:2 and 4:3 and trying to stick to 16:8 whenever I can.

I have only two more kilograms to go but then comes the important part which is maintenance. Here I can see the 5:2 working very well for me or when really stabilized I can go on to the 6:1

Best of luck and please let us know how you get on.
    Stef.

I tried the warrior diet as well but didn’t lose any weight… Then I just took it as a new kind of IF and minded what I ate in that window more and yup, there went the weight! I’m now combining 5:2 with 1 big meal a day (so 22:2 or something) and cutting all carbs for as long as I can (when I get too doozy I have one day of carb eating).

To me the challenge will be to get into maintenance, I have to get back slowly to a more regular eating pattern (like regular 5:2 including some carbs). If I just jump to that too sudden I’m afraid I’ll explode again x)

For me, 10in2 is much easier to follow since I’m much better in eating nothing than restricting me to just 500/600 kcal.

But I agree, even eating nothing outside the eating window (1 day or 4 hrs, whatever) it might become necessary to put more control on the caloric intake. I’ve just read a study stating that the secret of success of the “Mediterranian diet” lies not in the Olive oil and veggies but in the fact, that those guys tend to skip breakfast. The insulin peak after a large breakfast is much higher compared with skipping it and have a large lunch instead.

Since it seems I have difficulties to cope with long eating periods (I’m still eating too much and too bad within those 12 hrs of the eating day) I’m now thinking about changing my eating patterns back to 1 short eating window a day starting at noon or so and see if the weight loss will improve….

Q

Nika, I admire you. A low carb diet is a big no no for me. I just love my pasta and rice! I can do without bread but would not want to miss my apples and other carb yummies!

Quizzle, I strongly believe in giving the body a rest and trying to eat within a certain period during the day. 16:8 works very well for me. Four hours would not be enough and it would not be suitable for my family life. I can easily skip breakfast, but I need something around lunchtime. I try to have our family dinner earlier so that we are done latest by 6 PM.

Anyhow off to sleep now… Just finished another fast day.
    Stef.

Many thanks for all your interesting comments.

As I am fairly new to the forum, perhaps you could explain a couple of references. I understand 4:3, but what is 16:8 and 10:2 mean?

Stef, Your “I love my Pasta” attitude is the reason you have fluctuating blood sugar. If blood sugar ( diabetes) is your problem, then you may have to unlove pasta and other simple carbs, whether you do this diet or not or face the long term effects of diabetes. As a type 2 diabetic, who has basically beaten the disease with diet and exercise, the life style changes necessary are worth it.

Hope you find the life style that works for your body.

Janthea- 16:8 is an eight hour eating window, and I think 10in2 is about eating only every other day-

quizzle- why is eating breakfast harder on blood sugar than a big lunch? You are still breaking a fast, so lunch just becomes the new breakfast?

Hardjudge, I haven’t got diabetes, fortunately. Nevertheless, I will look into other forms of pasta as I want to avoid getting age diabetes..
    Stef.

Hi, Piper, actually I don’t know why a big breakfast causes greater increase in insulin than skipping it and having a big lunch instead. It was a surprising result with different dietary regimes for diabetics. The paper is freely accessible at plosone.org.

Max

Hi Janthea! Piper already explained a bit but I’m going to explain as well anyway 😛

Basically there are different fasting methods, one that splits up the week (5:2, 4:3 etc – notice they add up to 7 days) and one that splits up the day (16:8, 18:6, 20:4 – notice those add up to 24 hours!). The name 10:2 never really made sense to me, I read why they call it that but I forgot again. I think it’s something like 1, 0, 2 and they called it 10:2? Anyway. It is Alternate Day Fasting, so eating one day and fasting the next. It’s a complete fast, so no calories at all during the whole day, and then you don’t have to count calories the next day.

Anyway, that’s the quick scope! ^^ I myself follow both 5:2 and 22:2, due to my current lifestyle (45 hour work weeks and 6 day a week workouts after work) I kind of only have two hours left to eat before I have to go to bed. So it’s a forced 22:2. I’d like to go to 20:4, as a bigger eating window is more comfortable (and makes it a lot easier to eat your TDEE!).

Oh right, this topic was about sugar. Sorry for the hijack 😛

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.