Bloating

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Lindyw 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• I am on my third week of 5:2 and have lost 3lbs and nothing this week. However on “feasting” days I am not eating loads and loads but feel bloated and sick. I find this disconcerting and feel I will not be able to carry on if this continues. I am seeing my gp on Tuesday so will ask his advice

Hi there – my friend said the same thing, but she continued to lose weight throughout. I’m getting it too, and I am wondering if it’s due to stomach shrinkage and eating too fast on non-fast days (so I don’t know I’m full immediately!). I have noticed this feeling particularly if I eat bread and pasta. Good luck at the doctors!

Hi Jade, have put another post under “Bloated” – saw my gp this morning and he said I am not carry on with this diet but try another one cutting down each day, rather than fasting. Shame as I have lost 5lbs now. However have been really constipated too. Some posts say that the bloating stops after a while???? But looks like I will have to give up!

Saw Nurse at our GP’s today to discuss diet and she said to give this one another go, that it is the most sensible diet she has seen so looks like I am back on it!!!

melisende, are you drinking enough water during your fast days (and on your feast days)? I wonder if this could be contributing to your constipation?

Hi MrsJKW, Nurse told me that I should increase water intake so I am trying very hard to drink more. Hopefully this will solve problem of constipation. Thanks for your reply!

Sorry Melisende, I only just saw your posts, I hope you’re going alright with it. Whenever I tell people about this diet they always gawp but I am glad to hear that the nurse was positive about it. Good luck and let us know how you get on xxx

Hi Melisende, I find that breads and pasta do give me more bloating. I do better with protein and non-starchy veggies. I drink lots of water with lemon every day, especially fast days. Glad your nurse suggested you try again, I’m just starting out, but it really seems like a sensible way to go. good luck and keep us posted.

I have IBS but since starting the fast diet the bloating is nowhere near as bad. I think this is mainly due to reducing my bread and other carbohydrate intake on non-fasting days. Instead I eat much more fruit and veg and think this helps with the IBS. I do think the stomach needs time to adjust to the regime of the fast though, so it’s worth carrying on. Good luck to you all.

Ann

Hi MountainMyst
    I managed to lose 10lbs, but then had a two week holiday! Fortunately it was a walking holiday so I only put on 3lbs in two weeks. Managed to lose 2lbs of it, but then went away for a week again last week!! Put 2lbs on in this week. So today is my first day back on diet for a while, so am hoping to start losing again now. Seeing Nurse again this Weds to let her know how I am getting on. Hope you are doing well……

Hi everyone! As previously advised I am back on fasting. Constipation and bloating are back again!! Hoping that this will disappear soon once body readjusts?? This is my second week back on. Not a very nice subject but has anyone else bled from backside?!! This happened before and is happening again – assume it must be due to constipation but would appreciate any feedback.

Hi melisende,
    The bleeding sounds like something is really not right – have you asked a doctor about it? I hope things improve for you!
    Edit: oops sorry just read the rest if the stream – please ignore the above re: the doctor.
    Xx

Have been on the diet for 4 weeks and lost 3 kilos. Happy about that but the constipation is very uncomfortable. My husband is my fast buddy and he has the same problem. We drink a lot of water, we have psyllium husks for breakfast, we go to the gym and we walk at least an hour every day, but the constipation persists as soon as the fast days come around. Am reluctant to try pills. Any natural way.

Hi MarianneChris,

Have you tried Linseeds? You can sprinkle a handful on a salad or put them in yoghurt. I eat A LOT of vegetables on a fast day to combat this problem and it has eased off. Grilled veg Mediterranean style with a spray of olive oil. I think the oil helps. Since I’ve cut out bread and pasta things are a lot easier too. I hope this helps.

Ali

Give up wheat and dairy for a week, you will be surprised at the outcome. Bye bye bloat

@melisende (and mariannechrista)
    If the bleeding persists and is red fresh blood it could be because you are getting constipated your are straining too much when you think you should ‘go’ and this could indicate haemorrhoids (piles).
    Increase your roughage on normal days and drink plenty of water on both fast and normal days. It is not necessary to have your bowels open daily so don’t stress about that.
    If the bleeding is dark stale blood, or persists when you are not feeling constipated a visit to the doctor is called for in case you need further investigations or he may prescribe a course of some sort of ‘bulking out’ medication which would alleviate the discomfort of constipation. 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply.