Benefits to immune system

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I wondered if anyone knew of any research done that shows any benefits to the immune system from specifically doing the 5:2 diet.

Thanks 🙂

Hi Samia in Michael & Mimi’s book they reference a study carried out by Valter, published in 2014. Hang on a sec & I’ll dig out the reference for you….

Longo, Valter D et al ‘Prolonged fasting reduces IGF-1PKA to promote hematopoietic stem-cell-based regeneration and reverse immunosuppression’. Cell Stem Cell, 14(6), June 2014

The synposis is that your body clears out damaged white blood cells while fasting (so white blood cell count does drop) but once you eat again they are replaced with more vigorous cells & so your immune system is strengthened.

Hope this helps 😉

Hi Samia and welcome:

I am not aware of clinical studies showing benefits to the immune system from doing 5:2. The study referenced by Em T, above, showed much benefit by water fasting for four days, and current research indicates that four day or plus water fasts are quite beneficial for many conditions. However, they must be done more often than just once, and it is currently unclear how often. I am going from memory, but I think Longo does them at least twice a year – maybe more often.

5:2 can help acclimate a person to fasting, especially if they water fast on their two diet days each week. One of the major mental challenges facing a newbie is to get over the fear that if they don’t eat for awhile, they will die, or worse, get hungry!

Here are some 5:2 tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.