Are my figures correct?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 10 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Hi!

I have battled with my weight since I was barely out of my teens. I have tried every diet going – with varying degrees of success.

I am trying to get my head round the facts and figures of 5:2

The calculator gives me a BMI of 43.9 (yes I know it is horrifying!….but it WILL go down!)…..a BMR of 1756….and a TDEE of 2107

Now, this means I do 2 days at 500 calories and 5 at somewhere between 1750 and 2100?

This seems to be a really big allowance for the 5 days!….(I remember the days when I was told to have 1000 every day)

Please bear with me as I try to sort something out here…if my BMR is 1756 then each week I use up 7 times this = 12292 calories….on the 5:2 figures above I would take in (5×1756|)+(2×500) = 11535 calories a week….subtracting one from the other gives me a calorie deficit of 757 calories a week…which going by 3,500 calories as the average number of calories to gain/lose one pound means that I can expect to lose 1/4 of a pound each week?….I was kind of hoping for a little more than a quarter of a pound!

(I am Autistic and have a bit of a fascination with numbers….so apologies for fixating on the calories like this!)

Can these figures be correct? Will I really lose a pound or so a week eating the quoted figures?

Welcome to the forum Buttonboots and the answer to your last question is ‘well I did!’
    My numbers weren’t so generous as yours, to be honest I didn’t calculate them for the first few weeks of IF. I had 500 cals on Mondays and Thursdays then ate what I liked for the other five days and the weight (and inches) came off at about 1lb per week sometimes a little more.
    It is not a fast (quick loss) diet it is a way of eating (not feasting) that includes two days fasting – and it works!
    Also because on your normal eating days you don’t have to worry about calorie counting, it is sustainable and a way of life that is flexible enough to fit into your own life.
    As the weight disappears you should recalculate your TDEE and change to the recommended calories.
    Don’t forget there are lots of benefits from intermittent fasting which helps stave off those horrors that face us as we age (Diabetes, hypertension and stroke being just a few).
    Check around the forum (a great way to spend an hour of a fast day for inspiration)- you will find lots of helpful tips and motivation.
    Good luck!
    🙂

Hi Button and welcome:

You have used the wrong number, so your results are wrong.

You work from TDEE, not BMR.

Using your numbers, you have a TDEE of 2100. Twice a week you eat only 500. That cuts 1600 out of your diet twice a week, or 3200. That would mean you would lose almost a pound a week.

Here is how TDEE works: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

Good Luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.