Anyone else experienced this? No weightloss if I snack!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Anyone else experienced this? No weightloss if I snack!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  FiveTwoFan5252 7 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• I should preface this with saying that I have PCOS and have hypothyroidism (treated with ‘ERFA’) so my metabolism is apparently already compromised. Lots of typical weightloss regimes simply do not work for me but I have had success with fasting and IF in the past.
    I noticed that the only real way for me to lose weight is not to spread my allowed calories (under 500 for me) across the day but really eat in one or two sittings. If I snack my calories then it doesn’t seem to make any marked change to my weightloss but if I am super strict, only eating once or twice in a day then it does work.
    Just curious to find out if this is the same for others or not and why this might be? Is it ‘ketosis’ or something similar? Is it because I have insulin resistance? I would love to hear what people think?

Hi @hungrypig!

I would also be really intrigued to hear any theories people have on this!

I can’t see how it would make a difference at all (everything I have read points to the overall calories consumed over 36 hours on a FD, NOT how/when they are consumed) so I am intrigued :0)

On my FDs I don’t sit down to any proper meals at all and always finish my FDs at sub 400 cals.

My question would be around how long it has taken you to draw this conclusion? Is it long enough to have ruled out other factors? Sometimes our bodies work in weird ways and weight loss (or lack of it) can not be tied to anything in particular! I speak from personal experience!

I love the 5:2 WOL (although quite often I only do 6:1!) but it is definitely a long-term plan, so short-term weight fluctuations aren’t a great indicator in my view, but that’s just me!

GOOD LUCK – I will watch this thread closely! :0)

I started to come to this conclusion after I had done some IF for a good couple of years. I noticed that it was only when I made a very strong effort to eat once or twice a day, with absolutely no food in between, that it impacted on my weightloss.
    A few years ago, I saw a consultant about PCOS and her advice, as far as diet was concerned, was that snacking was very harmful if a person had insulin resistance. The theory went something along the lines that every time we eat, irrespective of whether it’s a ‘healthy’ food (a few blueberries in my case), more insulin is released and we become awash with insulin. I’m wondering if this is what is happening when I do a fast day? Perhaps it’s perception but I don’t think so. I only see movement in my weightloss when I don’t pick at food. I find it very tough but I think the health benefits of some fasting are a big plus.

Hello hungry pig and fivetwofan

May I suggest that you watch Jason Fung’s video lectures on YouTube called Aetiology of Obesity numbers 1-6. He will explain this far better than anyone on here can and will also confirm your observations that snacking stokes up insulin. It’s good you have found this out the ‘natural’ way.

All best

Hi @hungrypig!

I think that is a really good point. Food choices are super-important here!

Insulin Resistance arises as a result of a lifetime of blood sugar spikes. Simplistically speaking, carbs, particularly simple carbs, cause blood sugar spikes. As blood sugar spikes, the body produces insulin in response. In simple terms, insulin helps to store fat. So we want to avoid blood sugar spikes!

Snacking choices such as protein/fat mixes – think hard boiled eggs and nuts – can help keep blood sugar levels on an even keel. Whereas fruit can really rock the boat!

So in theory – 500 cals of carbs may be worse than 500 cals of protein/fat. Who knows?

Read the Blood Sugar Diet by Dr Michael Mosley – this will really help! Dr MM is an expert – I’m just someone who reads his stuff!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.