Anyone doing alternate day fasting?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ci1979 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hi. I was wondering if anyone is doing alternate day fasting were. You fast every other day. Some eat 500 cals on fast day. Some eat nothing.
    . I’d like to try this and if anyone wants to try this. I plan on starting Monday. I have alot of weight to lose.

Hi Challenge:

Quite a few on this site have tried it but they seem to disappear. It is very hard, especially for a newbie to fasting. Also, many find it socially challenging – things come up that make it hard to do over time.

It works fine if you do it, though.

Good Luck!

Hello Challenge

I’ve thought about doing but I find it very difficult because of the weekend lunches of family and other events ….

What more I adapted it to Monday to Friday with an evening meal will only around 1000 calories and Saturday and Sunday as usual.

I have achieved an average loss of 1 kilo per month, found it more sustainable for me, because I have trouble sleeping fasting.

We choosing the best way to carry on with, because the secret is persistence in adopting as a way of life fasting.

Brazilian hugs!

I do alternate day fasting.

I’ve done it since Dr. Johnson wrote his book. I left it during my baby making years but am now back to it and found the 5:2 group to be a great support.

I plan to do 5:2 when I get to my goal…though sometimes I take a break with 5:2 or even 16:8.

It’s like anything. The more you practice the better you get.

😊

Sim thanks for your responce I’m an expert faster ha I previously have done extended fasting for health reasons. But that is with no food.

I’m wondering how I will do with the option to eat 500on a fast day. I hope I won’t indulge but I’ve written the foods im allowed to eat.

I’m starting Monday!

Anaide your doing brilliantly! That sounds like a really good plan. ! And a Brazilian hugs always nice! I don’t think a UK hug would be as good haha but hugs to you too!

I have no social life until September when University resumes. Just taking kids around for now. Which I eat how I like around them lol.

SLIM, Wow fantastic to see someone who’s doing it. Any tips? So you eat the 500 cals or do you eat less?

How much do you eat on up days? What are your weekly results lack if I may ask.

I’l use this thread to be accountable and hopefully do weekly weigh ins

1st weigh in on Monday 🙂

Hello,

I do alternate fasting. My blog is in the personal stories page. I had lost around 5kg from Dec before starting alternate fasting which I started in March. I have lost 17.9kg since then for a total of 22.9kg 🙂 I eat nothing on fasting days just have hot tea and water or no sugar cordial. I don’t really count calories on eating days, but don’t snack just eat 3 normal meals with the occasional bit of choccie, and I don’t drink calories (I heard that term the other day and I like it!) lol.

Good luck. I love it. You don’t have to think. You know that yesterday you ate, tomorrow you will eat, today you fast. Easy as that! If you want something, just say you can have it tomorrow. And if you want it tomorrow, then have it. I don’t find that I am any hungrier on non fasting days, so I eat very normally. In fact, your appetite will go down a lot and you will be surprised by how little you eat to get very full. Just don’t panic. You don’t need to stuff yourself on eating days to try and stop yourself from getting hungry on non eating days. It doesn’t work like that. Just satisfy yourself because tomorrow is a different day 🙂 I’m saying that because the first time around I did 5:2 a few years ago I used to try and make sure I ate all my dinner because tomorrow I couldn’t eat. It was a sort of panic.

I still have 15 kilo’s or so to lose 🙂 So I’ll be around for awhile yet, lol.

Take care.

Challenge and ETJ

Nice to see some alt day fasters, though the 5:2 ers have been a great inspiration for me!

Challenge, I’m in no hurry this time so I’m not sure if I have great advice for you. I too was an experienced faster before the alt day..once doing a ten day water fast and various 3-4 day fasts for health reasons. I got out of all my childhood failing health through “natural hygiene” and fasting ….what I guess now would be the “go raw” crowd. But professional life, children and age all put me back in my previous health so I began a more realistic lifestyle with family and littles by the alt day fasting.

At this point as long as my health seems to be improving and I lose a few pounds a year instead of gaining, I’m pretty happy. I’m probably 10 pounds overweight at this point. I had a severe arm injury a year ago and a cross country move 2 years ago and so I am heavier than usual due to being very sedentary and thinking my poor arm deserves treats.

The main thing I do is 300-500 max on down days. I use a protein shake unless I can stick to raw veg n miso. Then I plan my first ” break the fast” meal so that it is healthy. I try to wait as long as possible to break my fast so this can be 10am or 2pm and then I eat as much as I want trying to eat whole foods mostly. That’s it.

If it’s a holiday or a trip I usually do 16:8 or 5:2.

I’ve lost about 6 pounds since May but my mom says my “shape” looks better. ? As I said, not in a hurry.

Hope that helps. I’m on vacation for this n next week so may be a little all over the place, but after that you can catch me fasting every other with you!

Et – wow thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I’ve also decided my first fast day tomorrow il eat nothing.

I’m really excited now. You have done amazing with your weight loss!

Thanks Challengeachievedxx. You can do this. Start tomorrow with the mindset that if you are so starving that you can’t take it, then you will have dinner. Then once you make it to dinner and you realise that you haven’t started eating your own arm, then tell yourself that you will eat the next morning. It’s really just a mind game fasting. Nothing more. Drink heaps of water and hot tea, it really does help a lot. Focus on the number on the scales that you would like to see at the end of the week as well. I do this. I find that it keeps me focused. I’m excited for you. This way of eating really does work! 🙂 Let us know how you go!

Hi Challenge,
    I started on Tuesday and have decided to eat nothing on my fast days as I would struggle to stop. I do drink tea, coffee, water and diet soft drinks though. I also don’t start my fast in the morning, I start the night before. So I’m fasting today but started yesterday at 4.30 pm. I am now waiting until 4.30 today and then I will eat again. Although I am only on my second fast day I have found this so easy and haven’t been starving. Additionally, I didn’t binge when I was able to eat again and didn’t even finish by lunch yesterday – that may not continue though, we shall see!

I’m also doing slimming world so that I try and eat more healthily on my non fast days. As I’m fasting on alternate days I am allowing things like olive oil and butter in my cooking. My next weigh in at slimming world is next Wednesday so I can’t wait to see if ADF has an effect on this. I love it so far but will most probably stick to not eating on my FD, I really have no control otherwise!

BTW I’m 9st 11 and looking to be 8st although I’d be happy with 8st 7. I’m just a little over 5ft so any weight really shows 🙁

Good luck, hope it goes well and you enjoy it!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.