Any newbies in November?

This topic contains 106 replies, has 57 voices, and was last updated by  Merryme 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 107 total)

• Hi everyone, second week now, seems quite difficcult for me getting back on track after weekend. RobbieJ I like lots of hot water & lemon very refreshing & better than drinking plain old water. I tend to have reduced calories in the morning & lunch & a nice healthy vegetable soup at night. Feel so happy when I’ve stuck to the diet, feel I’ve achieved something & then really appreciate my non fast days šŸ™‚
    Keep going everyone you’re doing great, we’re all in this together šŸ™‚

I am new starting today!!!!

Hello.

I am a November newbie. My first fast is tomorrow.

I am 29, have piled on 3 stone in the last 3 years and am on a mission to shed the chub for my wedding next October. I am also on an overall mission to feel a lot healthier.

Hi All, My 3rd fast day today..week2..Tip i found out today!! Dont chew gum, it made me very hungry, but i didnt break, water helped after that dangerous gum this morning..So far doing good.

Hey Zozo your story is literally the same as mine how spooky!

I started my first fast yesterday and I can honestly say it was a lot easier than I was expecting. I found going to the gym first thing in the morning before breakfast also gave a good kick start as I had loads of energy left in me from the meal the previous night.

The only thing I worry about is my TDEE, its recommended at 1739 but I have been using MyFitnessPal for a month or so now and have been hitting 1200/1300 daily – an increase to 1739 just wouldnt feel right (maybe thats in my head), Does any one here thing its ok if I hit 1500 and still do 500 on my fast days? or am I supposed to lower the cal intake on my fast days to about 350? HELP!

Hi Jammy85,

I also have not come anywhere near my TDEE on non fast days and feel just fine. I have now completed my second week and have lost two and a half kilos (that’s nearly six pounds), so I intend to keep going this way while it works for me.

If I stop losing weight, then I will consider making changes.

Those who have been on this diet longer may know more about what happens when you reach a plateau.

My view is to stick to what works and it’s been a long time since anything worked for me, so it’s all good.

Hi Anna

first of all – congratulations šŸ™‚ you have done very well!

I shall report back after a couple of weeks and lets see how this goes – honestly this is the first “diet” I have had hope for in years.

Hi Jammy:

You eat to your TDEE – or less.

Good Luck!

Hi, I am just about to start this diet again in an attempt to shed MANY UNWANTED POUNDS BEFORE CHRISTMAS and could also do with help, advice and tips on how to succeed

Hi Jammy,

Agree completely that this ‘diet’ is the first hope I have had in a long time as well.

Look forward to hearing your good news soon.

First fast day today! Doing ok, but it’s only 10AM! I have 40 or so pounds to lose. I’ve been doing low carb/ high fat, but not making much progress. I am planning to stay fairly low carb as I feel it is a healthy way to eat.

Look forward to taking this journey with you all!

Going to start tomorrow as only read about this diet tonight so any tips on fast day food would be most appreciated…….I have 30+ lbs to loose

Thanks all xxx

Charliesmom..the best tips I can give you are drinks lots of fluids without sugar, stay busy, stick to mostly vegies and protein & hav your 500 cals at a time that suits you…savour your food without being distracted by tv or your computer…good luck and if your tummy feels hungry think of it as fat burning !

Jammy 85…your TDEE is a guide that you just need to stay below…I think 1500 should be fine but I would not drop your cals on a fast day as it could all become too hard and you might fall off the wagon…give the plan a chance to work…good luck!

Lori_PA…firstly welcome and good luck….I wouldnt be too hung up on the low carb thing….the advice is mostly vegies and protein and you know its funny the longer I do this diet the less I naturally want high carb stuff especially white bread, rice, pasta etc. I dont eat a lot of bread now just a piece of rye toast with breaky on a feed day and maybe some with soup. I still hav the occassional take-a-way on feed days but I hav a good protein breaky and just dont get hungry…the change is truly amazing!

Hi everyone I’m also new……signed up in the early hours of the morning, all the way from South Africa!

So since July I’ve been on the LCHF (low carb high fat) lifestyle and have lost 16kg to 18kg (didn’t weigh when I started but used my last recorded weight from Nov 2013 : 108 kg. In Oct 2013 I was at 110kg when I consulted a dietician and I’m certain I may have been heavier than 108 when I started the LCHF programme).

In September I began training with a personal trainer which has helped a lot, see him 3 times a week and on the odd days I do my own thing at the gym or at home.

So what brings me here, figure I need to try the fasting approach, particularly for my upcoming b’day in January and my sister’s wedding sometime next year.

True what they say, losing weight after the age of 30 is so difficult!

Hi Everyone,

Fast days are getting easier and I concur about the plenty of fluids throughout the day and to eat the 500 calories when it best suits you. I manage to go all day with only fluids (I’ve never been a breakfast lover) and I have a meal at around 7.00pm.

The main difference with others here is that I don’t eat meat. I occasionally eat fish but mainly stick to a vegetarian diet. Yesterday was a fast day and I had a meal of barley, green soybean and vegetables in the evening. Yes, I know that isn’t for everyone but it works for me.

That’s high in good carbs and low GI as well. Just thought I would share this in case there are other people out there who could not face a high animal protein meal.

Hi I will be starting tomorrow !

Good luck, Purdylucky, just remember to drink lots and that the day WILL come to an end. I try to make myself feel better by thinking tomorrow I can have a good breakfast. I don’t actually feel like it the following day, but it makes me feel better while I am fasting.

Hey All,

I started half way through last week and have one fast day with the second one today.

Jumped on for a littel support and encouragement – I have a lot to go!

Hi all, so after my first week lost 1lbs!!!! Not very impressive but find wknd really hard. Need to lose 10lbs by CHRISTMAS!!! Good luck all you out there,we CAN do this

Hi November Newbies,
    I started yesterday with my first fast day. Did better than I thought I would. Found not going to bed hungry helped. Already find I am making choices about what to eat on my 1st free day today. Will be having dinner out at someon’s place tonight, so will see how that goes re food choices. Will check in in a week. Have a good week everyone.
    Cheers,
    Merry

Hi everyone,
    So the countdown has started to Christmas, I know it’s middle of November but just over a month to go now.
    How you all doing?? I can see you like me find fast days challenging & I certainly did yesterday, week three now & I am still battling especially after a weekend but resolute to make the difference & being an absolute chunky monkey decided to fast Monday, Wednesday & Friday & seeing big changes. I’m not so out of breath & yes I do have a waist & ribs under all the blubber LOL :)I think though the biggest difference I am seeing is in my skin which seems to be looking more cleansed & detoxed which is great & people seem to be noticing too(all good).
    Love reading your posts peeps, keep going we can do this, if an idiot like me can this so can you!!! Onwards & downwards.XXX

Hi all, put 2 lb on last week & still had 2 to go to my goal weight, so I deci to fast Sunday & Mondayā€™s, again on Thursday this week, as I weigh every Friday, but decided to weigh this morning after 2 fasts,& Iā€™m heavier than last Friday??? Will this change by Friday?? Wish I hadnā€™t weighed! Not been that bad on Friday & sat

Hi. I started on 1st November and so far have lost 10lbs. I feel fantastic

Hi All, I am on my first fast day today this time around – i did some intermittent fasting a few months back after watching Michael’s documentary and talking with a friend who was doing it. I don’t think I know what I was doing so now I have the book I am reading and decided to have a fast day. I have fasted twice on detox, both 10 days, so I know I can manage, its more of a mental came. Water is my friend today!
    I would like to lose weight, but I am also very interested in the health benefits long term. My stress level are too high and my body needs to recalibrate – detoxing the adrenals and so forth. I am in Australia.

Hi, have just finished my second week and am irritated to find that I don’t seem to have lost any weight at all! Can it take time to click in for some people? Am finding the fast days boring but not too bad and also trying to get some extra exercise in as well (walking and cycling). Am weighing myself in clothes and shoes at local chemist, but despite today being my fourth fast day the scales are not moving yet. Any inspiring words welcome!

Hi all I am a November newbie too. I am in the middle of week 3.when I weighed on Monday I had lost 5.5lb week one I struggled with fast days I tried eating little often but that didn’t work then I tried one meal a day that didn’t work either. The second week I had a low cal ready meal at lunch and another for tea – bingo that worked. I have successfully completed another 3 fast days this way. Because I am used to having nothing till lunch then only 260 ish at lunchtime on fast days I have started doing this every day this leaves me with a whopping 1600 calories for the evening. I haven’t hit anywhere near that. Even had mc Donald’s for tea yesterday and was still 700 cals under what I was allowed šŸ™‚

Supermam-264. Bit confused about the calories there. I take it the “whopping 1600 calories for the evening” are on a NON-FAST day ?
    On a fast day no more than 500/600 calories should be consumed in total.

Hello,

I just joined. I am becoming frustrated on a 1200 calorie diet w/o losing a pound. I have done this for a week & have decided to drop my calories to 800/day. I recently had surgery and cannot exercise until the end of January, but I am allowed to do some weight lifting and of course isometrics. Any suggestions?
    Thank you.

Hi karenann

I will repeat drunner’s post from earlier in the thread for you for info on the 5:2 diet.

If you look at the forums here you will find a wealth of information & stories to help you on your 5:2 journey:

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/

Some of the people on here are super helpful, and you may find this post (posted by the every-helpful @simcoeluv) in particular will answer many of your questions: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

There are a few newbies thread, Iā€™m sure some of them will be very helpful šŸ™‚

Hi perky wally. Yes the whopping 1600 on non fast days šŸ™‚

Hi,

Now into my 2nd week and going well. Started at 81.2 kg (179lbs) and was 79.7 at the start of week 2, disposing of 1.5kgs(3.5lbs). It will be interesting to see what my weekly weight loss settles down to, but I’m quite happy to have disposed of this bit of my excess weight to begin with.

Not finding this difficult, in fact it is interesting seeing how my impulses re food, and my thoughts, are changing as the days go by. Even on the non fast day following my 3 fast days so far, I haven’t been hungry in the morning and have had late breakfasts. My husband and I are on this jpurney together, and I can imagine that that is also helping us. It ieasier on all days to be eating main meals the same. On fast days I have a late breakfast 11.00 or 12- a boiled egg and an orange apple or pear. A salad of leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot, 1/4 small avocado and low cal dressing in afternoon sometime. Dinner is a small portion of lentil, tomato, and diced low GI vegies cooked in chicken stock and herbs, curry, on about 2 flat tbspns rice, with steamed cauliflower, zucchini, carrot and broccoli. Nibbles are 1 or 2 nuts, 1 or 2 small prunes, sugar free lollies(sweets), 1-2 nori sheets/day. The nori sheets are 9 cal per sheet, and are the dried seaweed sheets used in sushi. They can be torn or cut up, and I’ve previously seen these sold in small pieces in small snack packs with different flavourings, so thought I’d try it on a fast day. Not to everyone’s taste, but I liked it. Drinks are water, water, water, weak tea of various sorts, decaf coffee with a dash of milk. Also had miso soup 1 day. We both feel the need to have the largest meal of the day about 6.30-7 pm and to go to ged a bit earlier on fast days.

I’m impressed so far, as is my husband, and I can see how this can easily become a lifestyle. It’s interesting also that we’re not feeling very hungry at all on the fast days. There is a bodily feeling in my abdomen, but it’s not translating as hunger or needing to eat. It’s even reasonably pleasant now I’ m getting used to it. Not having to think of food all the time, and not having any guilt, sort of putting food in it’s rightful place of sustainence and normal enjoyment of food rather than food and meals always having an element of guilty pkeasure. It’s a relief to feel this changing.

Merryme

Hi all!

Am a November newbie myself and am very inspired by the posts here, great to get such a detailed update from Merryme!

I started Sunday 16th and am doing 4:3 with my 3 being Sunday, Monday & Thursday. I am also cutting out alcohol for about 4 weeks. I am basing what I’m doing on the Fast Beach diet. So my fasting days are no more than 500cal and I’m trying to keep my non-fasting days to between 1000 and 1200 cal.

As I’m not much of a breakky eater I’m finding it quite easy, my problem has always been over eating in the evenings. I must say I am having to exercise some intense self control some evenings, but most are good.

I forgot to get a starting weight, but after a week 1 I was 80.8kg – 109cm around my belly button. My aim is not so much the weight but my belly and eating habits. As I live alone and work sometimes from home and sporadically (I have 2 jobs and work for myself as well) my eating habits became really shithouse!
    From Jan 2013 – Mar 2014 I managed to put on nearly 12kg and 15cm around my belly button. This was all from bad habits.
    A couple of weeks ago I had all my bloods done as for the past 6 months I have been pretty well sticking to a 1200 cal per day intake with 3 workout sessions per week. This has done NOTHING and I was getting worried. Turns out I’m ‘pre-diabetic’ and was told if I didn’t start doing something about it then I would be in trouble.

So, here I am! I am enjoying it mostly – had a ‘blow-out’ of sorts today – went into an actual shopping centre for the first time since I started and had some junk food, but still managed to stay below my non-fasting day requirements, even though the quality of the food was rubbish.

Am looking forward to reading more of how others are going for as bad as it sounds…. Misery loves company!! lol, perhaps the more the merrier is better?!!

shandance šŸ™‚
    Btw I’m in Melbourne, Australia

Hi everyone šŸ™‚

This is my first week of Fasting, my fast days are Monday and Wednesday. I am 25 and have put on a sneaky 3 stone in the past couple of years! I have recently started a new desk job after working 3 years in a busy supermarket so I am sure that is to blame šŸ˜‰ I am looking to loose the extra weight as well as reap the benefits of fasting šŸ™‚

I’m finding it okay so far, for lunch I have 100g carrot sticks, 100g cucumber sticks, 100g cherry tomatoes and a small pot of low fat houmous to dip it all in, totalling 161 calories- delicious!!

For dinner I use the fast diet recipe book and pick something tasty. On my first day I had the stand by veggie chilli (around 200 calories) and I was stuffed! Still have some left in the fridge so will probably have that again tonight.

I try not to snack during the day, although if I cant resist a quick munch then I go for rice cakes at 30 calories per cake.

My non fast days I try to stay around 1500 calories- 500 below my TDEE. Again, this is easy as I tend to overeat out of boredom rather than hunger.

I have really enjoyed reading everyone’s stories, and I wish everyone the best of luck with achieving their goals šŸ™‚

Here’s to a new, healthier and lighter way of life!!

Kayleigh.

Well a month in for us November Newbies! How is it going for everyone? I’m totally gobsmacked at losing just over a stone, I know, I know water retention etc, but i feel so much better for it…find weekends the hardest though, fast days are when I work Mon, weds and Friday and the rest of the time I eat to my tdee…thanks to my Dr for telling me about it.

Congratulations Mel! This is only week 3 for me as I started mid-month. Lost a couple pounds the first week and didn’t weigh last week because of Thanksgiving. I’ll weigh in this Friday and see how it’s going….feel good…..hope the scale gives me a good number!

Keep up the great work!

8.5 lbs loss for me so far. Stuck to diet perfectly last week was even under 1000 cals on three of my feed days and only lost 1/4 lb – was bit disappointed but not put off made me more determined for this week. Decided to do 4:3 this week to see if that gives me a boost. My attitude to food has totally changed already. I am finding it easy to say no to treats at work. I want to lose weight more than I want a chocolate that will taste nice for about ten seconds then stay on my hips for about ten weeks! If I get any hunger pains I know in about ten mins they will be gone I have told myself that when the tummy grumbles start it is the little fat monster inside me feeding off my fat! ( I picture him a bit like the Cookie Monster lol). Would love to have lost a stone by New Year’s Eve.

Hi all, thank you to those who responded to my last message!

Am now in week 4, and getting used to the fast days on Mondays and Thursdays. It helps that my husband is also doing 5:2 and fasting the same days.

Stats: week 2 loss was 400gms (14 oz) and week 3 loss was 300gms(10.5ozs) so I’m thinking this is the beginning of a steady weekly loss. I am very encouraged by this as there have been several Christmas functions, and a 70 th birthday party in those 2 weeks. I’ve tried to not eat too much but I’ve still enjoyed cake, dessert, a few other things I don’t usually eat except on special celebrations. The meals have also been a little bigger than I would normally eat. I’m not a drinker, so I mostly drink sparkling water when out, as I find somehow it’s more festive and the bubbles make my mouth feel like it’s drinking something special. So, I’m very happy to have lost anything in the last 2 weeks!

I am 64 and have M/E colloquially known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome, and my energy level is Currently at about 30-35% of normal after 16 yrs of recovery from 5-10%. So, I am fairly sedentary. I use a pedometer each day and try to get over 4000 steps each day. On a good day I get to 6000 steps and on rare occasions 9000 steps, but I have to be very careful on those days following a 9000 day, so it is usually 2000 the next day or I end up having to be bedbound for a few days. Pacing is the key to living with this disease, so I try to keep each day about the same with frequent rests laying down for 10-30 mins, and resting before I do something I know will take more energy. I am super happy to be able to lose some weight, and find a way of eating that I can sustain comfortably. I’m amazed that a little has come off over the last 2 weeks even though I’m eating a bit differently than I normally would. Without special celebrations all accuring together I would probably have lost a bit more.

I’m settling into a reoutine on fast days of 1 boiled egg at 11am, lots of water, a nori sheet about 4pm and meal of lean 100gms of lean chicken breast, lean pork with smicrowaved low cal, low GI vegies, or 125gms canned pink salmon and salad of cos or oakleaf lettuce, baby spinach leaves, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and grated carrot, with a teaspoon of Paul Newmans light Balsamic dressing, and 1/2 tsp of light mayo on the salmon. I mix light mayonnaise with some seeded mustard to give it some more flavour, as I’m not a big mayo fan. To drink I have, water, water, water, weak Earl Grey tea, black, and decaf i stant coffee with a splash of milk. I’m finding that strong tastes seem to fool my mouth into thinking It’s more satisfied.

Hope everyone is going we.. Don’t give up. Oh….and if you have headaches on or after fast days it could be withdrawal from foods you would normally eat. Will write more about that later. Not having headaches now but had a huge problem with this some years ago.

Cheers,
    Lucy

Forgot to say, on fast days I also have 1 or 2 small serves of fruit. Low cal fruit in season at the moment is rockmelon(cantaloupe) and strawberries. I also had a couple of no sugar lollies(sweets not ice blocks), 1 sort is 9 cals per lolly and the other is 15 cals per lolly. Am also finding a mouthful of diet dry ginger ale another source of a strong flavour for mouth pleasure, if I can put it that way, and it has 7 kj per 100 mls or less than 2 cals/ 100 mls.

Hi I,m a newbie, started last week, today is my 2nd fasting day, will do fridays as well. I walk 5kls 5 days a week, so thats not new, but thinking because of that I could eat what I like, wrong, so I feel very confident this will work for me. The book was a great read and full of great ideas to help us through this and make it a lifestyle.

Also meant to add that I have taken a huge step of using a quarter spoon of sugar in coffee or tea from 2 spoons.

Hi Mogsie, congratulations on ypu decision and starting your 1st week. Yes, getting rid of most of the sugar in your hot drinks is a big step, and a healthy one. Well done,

Thanks Merryme.

I joined recently, and have to say I’m amazed with the results. 4lbs down already. I’m trying to move around more, and really enjoy my fast days, feel so in control! The support here is fantastic, good luck to everyone .. I’m grateful to be here šŸ™‚

well done, Dragonfly. I agree its good to be in control and not the other way round.

Hi all, i started on the 3rd of November, just found my post on this thread. I have been finding the fast days easy..and the hunger is not a prob. I have not weighed myself in all that time ..6 weeks, BUT i have lost inches!!My clothes are getting looser..Ive cut back on the wine### none in 4 weeks!!!Thats a lot less calories too..I measured today>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4 inches off waist>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Bigmarie, well done! I struggle with the wine, and it would help if I succesfully could skip the alcohol, but that is not the case yet. My first 2 weeks went well, but this week (my period is about to start) I am having trouble sticking to my allowed kcal.

Well done to Dragonfly and bigmarie!

Now 10 days after my last post and have lost another 500gms (1.1lbs I think) Have been away and eating food prepared by others and a big celebration in there as well, but kept to my 2 fast days well. Yesterday, Thursday, was to be my fast day, but I found it a bit too challenging for non- food related issues. It was easy to just say, well I’ll shift my fast day to tomorrow, and now my new fast day, Friday, is nearly over. Alls good. My clothes are a bit looser too.

Merry Christmas to everyone!
    Merryme

Well done merryme, measured this morning and waist is 32′. My clothes are telling me more. Slept like a log..so fasting has improved my sleep quality, hence the brighter eyes!!Merry Christmas..We are flexible fasters all the way!!

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 107 total)

You must be logged in to reply.