Any IBS sufferers? :p (huge post inc!)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Personal stories
Any IBS sufferers? :p (huge post inc!)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  MiriamNZ 9 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hello everyone! My name is not Ferris and I’m a 25 year old gal.

My story is that since around 17 and during A Levels I started suffering from IBS. It really messed with my education, and even though I did manage to get off to university after a gap year I’ve constantly suffered panic attacks. I’ve actually been a fairly healthy weight at times (usually around 9 stone at 5’7), but…I don’t know what happened. Addiction to starbucks coffee with too much sugar? A ill-fated meeting with fast food on recent years when my symptons subsided?

Either way, at the start of this year I realised all the lower back pain and agony in my knees was not a good thing for my age. I hopped on the scales, saw I was just over 14 stone and technically obsese. I was completely dismayed. From January onwards I’ve elected to “prepare” for a brand new me. I’ve built up to walking on a treadmill for one hour a day at a brisk walk (covering 4 1/2 miles in that time), eating healthy (hitting around 1400 calories a day) and right now and just after the time of the month I’m sitting on 12 stone 8. That was sort of the warm up for me.

Now, the problem is my IBS. It might sound funny given how I got myself into this state, but I actually do have problems eating. Stuff like freashly baked bread is meant to be a nice scent, yet it has me rushing for the toilet more often than not. Given that here in England there is currently a heatwave, my appetite is somewhat abysmal. My current diet for my size recommended 1500, but honestly I have issues attaining that. Mainly I’ve been having a lot more orange juice than normal to hit the 1500 calories a day.

So, that’s really what made the 5:2 diet attractive. I figure that way and how I feel at the moment, 500 calories a day is “easy” as weird as that sounds. I chose my fasting days as Tuesday and Friday (today will be my first), and hoping this works.

Essentially I’m exercising by treadmilling 1 hour aka 4.5 miles a day (mainly as I enjoy it a lot, and the weight gain is mainly on my upper thighs and I like how they’re toning up), having 1400(ish) calories on a good day, IBS permitted and Tuesday and Friday fast days. All the while, hoping that the weather here doesn’t act up so I can actually eat enough on a diet (that still seems very odd to say).

Dear (not) Ferris,

It sounds like you either have celiac disease or at the least a strong gluten intolerance. Gluten can be found in wheat, so all purpose flour, rye, and barley. If it is celiac disease, the gluten destroys the cilia in your small intestine making it difficult to absorb nutrients. It is an actual allergic reaction. Gluten intolerance can also cause digestive distress. My oldest daughter not only gets the runs from gluten, but also acid reflux, and occasionally she vomits from it. The tiniest bit of gluten can cause trouble. It sometimes only affects her for a few hours, but larger amounts like a piece of bread or pizza can cause problems for several days.
    I am not a doctor, but I’ve had lots of experience with gluten intolerance. Three out of six people in my immediate family have problems from it. Maybe try staying off all grains (except rice) for a month and see if that helps.

Warm regards.

Hi:

“There are three big takeaways from Biesiekierski’s research: 1. If you think you’re sensitive to gluten, get tested for celiac disease — it’s a serious condition that’s almost certainly underdiagnosed. For each diagnosed celiac patient, at least seven more are undiagnosed. 2. If you don’t have celiac disease but are still experiencing its symptoms after eating gluten-containing foods, your problems may result from FODMAPs, not gluten sensitivity. Gluten-free diets can be deficient in fiber and a host of other vitamins and minerals, while simply reducing FODMAP intake can be much healthier and less restrictive. 3. Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (a.k.a. gluten intolerance) may not actually exist.” http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/are_you_really_gluten-sensitive.html; http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/05/gluten_sensitivity_may_not_exist.html

FODMAPs are interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP

Have a read up on FODMAPs, you might find it helpful.
    http://fodmap.com/what-are-fodmaps/

There are 5 groups of FODMAP foods that can trigger IBS, and a person may have a sensitivity to some but not others.
    I discovered a kindle book that can help you work out which or how many you are sensitive too:
    http://www.amazon.com/IBS-Free-Second-Change-FODMAP-Elimination-ebook/dp/B007R7SPYM/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-4&qid=1430550888

Both wheat/bread and onions have the same chemical which some react to.

The FAST diet recipes are heavy on beans and onions, both of which have FODMAPs, so there is a bit of extra work to do to follow this diet and use the offered recipes but still keep fodmaps out of your food.

Onions are the biggie for me: I avoid them very carefully. I can have some green-tops of spring onions, and chives, and I can get away with a little bit of garlic. I also avoid beans, and the cabbage family including cauliflower.

Some IBS sufferers find avoiding FODMAPS no help, others like me find a complete solution — no way to know without trying.

Its a bit of extra effort to keep to 500 cals and no FODMAPS, but it is doable, and once you have a set of recipes you are happy with, it is straightforward again.

Cheers
    Miriam

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.