Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

This topic contains 1,453 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,456 total)

• Well went over 34 calories on today’s fast but I am not stressing. Thursday last week I had 240 uneaten calories.

I made a fabulous FD dinner. I think I stayed within my calories. Grilled shrimp in a corn tortilla with Sriracha mayo and lots of kimchi. And shrimp have only 7-10 calories a pop! Do I leave the leftovers for hubby or take them for lunch?

Hi K-Lo,
    After reading about your FD dinner, I wish that I did not chose water fasting…:-O

Amazingly, I found the book, used but ever so gently and for only $6! It certainly gave me something to do today besides thinking about food. I’ve been doing okay and staying busy so I haven’t been think ing about it much. Probably the hardest part today will be giving up my glass of wine, but since I’m not eating dinner too it may be easier than I’m imagining. I indulged in a baby bell lite cheese (50 cal.) mid afternoon, and I’m planning to have a slice of turkey bacon (50 cal. too I think) in lieu of dinner. I had a roasted carrot and some slices of roasted zuchinni, I figured roughly 52 cal. there. Is it okay not to eat the full 500 cal. on fast days? Happily, I’m not hungry. Going to bed early. Yes, LA, staying busy is definitely a help for me. I’m looking forward to tomorrow and a non-fast day:-) How is your friend? Did he make it home okay? I dodged a heart bullet so I’m aware of how scary that one is.

Hope everybody is doing well!
    C

Wow K-Lo,
    I agree with coldpizza! Wish I was having your dinner tonight! Way to go!
    C

You too can make it another night!

My first day of fasting today and am surprised that I “made it”. I did do the 500 calories (actually 520) – and for the most part it was okay. I did have a few times that I thought I was going to “cave in” but ended up eating a few celery stalks and more water. I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions as to a good Greek yougart that I could add berries too (so I get the protein!!) …everything has so much sugar. I like tuna, salmon and chicken so that will be my afternoon/evening protein but in the morning (I workout everyday) I need to have something with a good dose of protein. I have lost 50 pounds in the past year and a half (just exercise and change in eating habits) but over the past 9 months have maintained or even slightly gained — I still have 60 pounds to lose!!! So, I’m hoping the IF days (Mon/Thurs) will “jump start” my system and get me losing! :).

Looking for advice, suggestions, ideas, anything :).

Hi crow:

It is just fine eating less.

The less you eat, the more you lose!

Good Luck!

I haven’t spoken to my friends since they left. They have a 3 day drive back to California and were planning on making a stop to see another friend before they completed the trip.

I’m sure he’s fine as the hospital wouldn’t have released him if he weren’t ready to resume his life if dialed back slightly. They were with us another day after his release and we went out and had a lovely meal together.

So you had a heart attack yourself, crowmama? My husband has a number of cardiac issues (which I’m happy to say are now in control) but he’s never had a heart attack. How did you mange to survive it? How do you ensure that you avoid another?

rlw, yogurt is very, very easy to make. And, if you make ti yourself, you know exactly what’s in it and don’t put in what you don’t want to eat. Basically, you warm milk, then monitor the temperature, add some yogurt starter (I buy a dry powder I get at Whole Foods but once you’ve made a batch you can use your own yogurt as a starter) and then insulate it so that it cools very slowly.

If you want more info just let me know. My yogurt is ordinary whole milk yogurt but I promise you it’s as firm as Greek yogurt. I flavor mine with some vanilla and a small amount of condensed milk. Homemade yogurt is not very tart but I still like to take the edge off Vietnamese style. It’s also much cheaper and is loaded with active probiotics.

I made it through my first fast day! I need to get away from the kitchen now as I have taken in approx 450 calories. I am a terrible evening snacker, so this time of day will bring the biggest challenge. I will take my dog for a long walk. We are having a nice evening. The sun sets in one hour. I plan to avoid the kitchen by turning in early tonight.

Take up knitting!!!

LA Chubster – thank you for the info on homemade yougart. I will look into that ….I’ve never tried it. I don’t like the “tart” taste that most Greek yougarts have so maybe a homemade whole milk yougart would be better ๐Ÿ™‚

Whew!! Made it through my first FD. It wasn’t that bad but see I need to plan better on how to use my 500 calories. Great to read everyone posts. Everyone is very encouraging.

Hi K-Lo, crowmama, cizzy, rlw66 and everyone,
    Made it through my first day! Stayed really busy, which helped, drank water all day, decaf in the afternoon, sipping mint tea instead of white wine tonight. Congratulations to those with a successful-and first- day as well!

I too like to make a nice dinner. I sautรฉed (in water) garlic, onion, yellow pepper, celery, zucchini and cherry tomatoes, and added strips of grilled boneless skinless chicken with tons of fresh herbs. Sprinkled Parmesan on top. My husband didn’t know we’re on a diet:) Earlier in the day I waited til I felt hungry, and had a half cup of fage plain Greek yogurt and sliced strawberries.
    Today was a piece of cake! Without the cake:)
    cheers, notfastenough

For all of you having trouble on feed days, I also have that trouble. I think it is good to dwell on the successes and let the bad days drop in the dust. I find the fast days refreshing. My body likes the break from excesses. I did have success loosing 26 lbs over 10 mo. Keeping it off for 2 1/2 yrs is result of 5:2. I like the routine of twice per week eating 500 c. It helps to be busy on the feed days. I use to call them feast days. Someone on a different thread here told me I might quit calling them feast days. I did. It did help. I am not so prone to buy my trigger foods. That is the first step down the rocky path for over eating, for me at least. Hope this helps someone. It is so logical that it is a first step (buying the food). But the deception I go through making up some other reason why I need it is beyond the absurd. Keeping busy is structuring my day more. I am retired and have more freedom. So that is my offering today. Tomorrow I fast.

Hi, so excited to see this American post. I’m located in the Bay Area and halfheartedly tried IF a few months ago but didn’t really fully invest and got sidetracked with exercise which got me nowhere. I’m a 40 something who has never had a real problem with my weight just vanity lbs until the past 5 years where I would gain a few pounds and plateau for a few months then gain a few more and plateau and so on. Now I find myself 150lbs at 5′ 4″ with an upward trending pattern and some really resistant lbs that I can’t seem to lose(many diets later). I just completed my 2nd fast day. Just crawled into bed as I’m hungry and grumpy but love the fact that I can eat relatively normally tomorrow. I really think this is my solution and can’t wait to chat with you guys to see how you are progressing. Yay us!!!

Homemade yogurt is for you, rlw. It has a much creamier, smoother flavor. Particularly if you start it from a dry culture and switch back to dry culture when it starts to develop tartness.

Anybody else find their sleep differs post fast? I woke up 3:30 am this morning. I keep finding that after a fast I wake up way too early. I am not hungry so that isn’t the cause.

LA Chubster — thank you …I’m off to find dry culture sometime this week ….there is not a whole foods near me so I will look into where else I might get it …YAY ๐Ÿ™‚

Princess Cilantro — yesterday was my first fast day and I woke up several times in the night to go to the bathroom (and I didn’t drink any more water than I usually do!) — I am usually restless most of the night — but I have to say last night was probably one of my WORST nights of sleep ….not sure if it’s related to the fast day or not. Will have to see how Thursday night goes.

Congratulations to all who made it through first days — I did take a moment last night to be proud of myself for making through day 1 !!! It’s so easy to think about all of the “I didn’t do” vs. the “yay for you” moments ๐Ÿ™‚

Good morning! I checked my Fitbit to see my sleeping pattern and I was no more restless than usual. I did wake up twice but that was due to my cat. I do take melatonin every night. I am feeling good today. Packing my usual lunch for work and added the calories. It’s more than what I ate in the last 24 hours. What an awareness the fasting brings to calorie intake.

Thank you k-lo for the knitting idea. It would keep my hands from reaching into a potato chip bag. I will have to ask my sister to teach me.

I hope everyone has a great day. Off to work.

Good Morning All,

I am so happy to report I survived my first fast day. And K-lo, loved the knitting comment! I used to say I’d rather knit than eat even if I ddn’t look like it(and I actually would rather knit too.) ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m knitting my H a pair of socks right now and do a lot of community knitting for VOA and local hospitals. Was glad I had that to turn to yesterday; it really helped me keep busy.

Feeling kinda’ wonky today so am fixing my usual easy HB egg w. a bit of sirracha and toast. Rlw, I, too, didn’t sleep very well, but I think as I adjust to this it will improve. In the helpful hint dept. let me suggest you try thoroughly rubbing your feet with essential lavender oil just before you crawl into bed. I nod off immediately and sleep soundly for minimum 5 hrs. It works for me. I should have gotten up when I woke up and re-applied it at 3:30 when I couldn’t get back to sleep. Oh well, next time.

Shazzer, I’m also 5’4″ but I tip the scales at 169 and have yo-yoed up and down around 5 lbs. for about 10 yrs. I’m sick of it. It feels good to me to have decided to take back my control and do something about it. Cizzy, I also like the heightened awareness of the calorie intake on non-fast days, like my breakfast this morning isn’t all that high in them, but instead of butter on my toast I sprayed it with EVOO and I was really craving fruit this a.m. LA, I’m going to try making my own yogurt per your help. I’ve tried it before and failed miserably but haven’t ever tried a dry culture before. I have a busy week so won’t put that on my list until next week or when we get back into town. Kwesterman, the calorie thing on fast day is something I will need to work with too. I think it will help me feel better and the pictures in the book make it look like you’re not really fasting. I still need to figure that piece out too.

LA, I’m happy to report I dodged a major heart attack and dying by having my cardio inform me I had a month or less to live. I was born with a faulty aortic valve but all the drs. I’ve seen, including my dad, all said do as much as I wanted so I have always excercised hard, doing everything I wanted (we’re in CO so skiing, mountain climbing, backpacking, bicycling and swimming were my choices) and then masked the problem with yoga and yogic breathing for years and years. The time ran out in 2006 when I was 62 and I had to have open heart surgery to replace the valve. I now have a titanium one hence, having to be on warfarin the rest of my life. Last summer I had to have two stents put in too which has put me on another anti-coagulant (blood thinners are a misnomer, that isn’t what they do b/c they prevent blood from clotting). None of my doctors have said I needed to diet but they watch any gains or losses like hawks. I’ll need to talk to them about this diet but am pretty sure the benefits will outweigh (pun intended) any risks. Heart and vascular disease are our family diseases and both parents and a grandparent died of sudden, major heart attacks (my mom was 74 yo and dad was only 68 yo). I’ve tried to adhere to the restrictions but there is also quality of life that needs to be considered too.

Sorry this got so long. I need to get out and walk my dog. I’m thinking about each of you. Here’s to a great day 2!
    Crow

Crowmama, I also had an egg with sriracha this morning! … on a corn tortilla. (Not a FD). I am finishing up a henley sweater for my sister’s 3 year old grandson. I have about six PONs right now. The ADD of knitting! And yes, it keeps my hands busy. I’m also K-Lo on Ravelry, if you want to connect there.

I keep meaning to try making my own yogurt. Maybe tonight will be the night.

….and I’m going to follow this recipe.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017991-creamy-homemade-yogurt

Congrats to all who completed their first fasts! Crow mama, rlw and …. ? (It was a long thread to read and I’m sure I’m fuzzy on details! โ˜บ๏ธ) But congrats! It only gets easier!

Good for you to dodge that bullet, crowmama. My husband’s family is also full of cardiac issues and he was the one who was luckiest to live in the era when so many options are available. I’m glad you have good support behind you and I’d urge you to run your intention of intermittent fasting past them. You might have to provide them with some of the info because doctors often aren’t so much interested in diet and nutrition but if you share what you know and they share what they know you’ll be taking the best preventive care of yourself.

As for yogurt starter, the dry culture is also available at health food stores and online. Yogourmet is the brand I’m familiar with and it’s quite cheap for 30gr (which will last you a year of batches). http://www.yogourmet.com/usa/probiotic-yogurt-starter-culture

You can also use commercial unflavored yogurt with live culture but if you’ve done that and not had success it probably wasn’t really a live culture.

The only equipment you need is a heavy pot and a reliable thermometer. But things like glass jars (I use 8oz straight-sided canning jars), a strainer and a wide mouth funnel or a beaker or measuring jug with a pour spout are useful.

You just heat a quart of whole milk to 185หš-195หš. I add 1/4 cup of non-fat milk powder (makes it thicker and boosts the protein) and 1/2 cup of condensed milk (makes it a tad sweet and less tart). Stir occasionally to keep a skin from forming.

Now take the pot off the heat and continue occasionally stirring until it cools to 110หš-115หš. Ladle out a bit of the milk and dissolve the yogurt culture then pour it into the milk along with 1/2-1 teaspoon of vanilla if you want that flavor.

Pour or ladle that into your individual containers. If you strain as you fill the containers or as you move the milk into a pouring vessel you’ll remove any undissolved non-fat milk powder. Put the jars — still warm — into your microwave cavity. DON’T turn it on; you just want the insulated effect. Let it sit overnight. If your kitchen is cold a teapot of boiling water in there with the jars will help them cool as slowly as possible.

In the morning the matrix will have formed into a firm but silky yogurt. Store this in the fridge.

I fill a 4oz canning jar first. I put this one aside for my next batch. On subsequent batches dissolve your starter yogurt in the warm milk instead of the dry culture and carry on in the same way.

Store unused dry culture in the fridge. It will keep nearly forever. If your yogurt starts to develop tartness, make a batch with culture instead of starter yogurt and you’ll get back to the sweet flavor.

If you’re feeling indulgent this yogurt turns into dessert if you top it with some lemon curd and fresh blueberries.

There you go, K-Lo! That will work too. I’ve seen a lot of variations in the specific temperatures in various recipes so there’s more latitude than individual recipes indicate.

I note that the NYT suggests adding cream is a possibility. Up here in Canada there are 9% and 11% yogurts that have had cream added. They’re pretty damned good too! ๐Ÿ˜ There’s a flavored one in particular that I buy on occasion just because it’s so yummy.

Ain’t it grand that fat isn’t an issue in IF so long as you don’t go way over your TDEE?!

And overnight is a great idea because there’s little chance anyone will disturb your incubating yogurt. I forgot to mention that one thing you want to be sure of is that no one agitates the milk before the matrix has formed. Overnight is the remedy for that!

Hi K-Lo and LA,

You are inspiring to make my own yogurt again! Used to make it all the time for my kids- when I had way less time. ๐Ÿ˜œ I had a set of glass jars with lids that sat in their own warmer overnight, and then the jars stored nicely in the fridge. I never tried the dry powder, will look for that at Whole Foods.
    I swore I wouldn’t get on the scale but once a week, well that intention lasted 24 hours. ๐Ÿ™„I lost weight from my FD yesterday, certainly just water but who cares? I’m psyched! ๐Ÿ˜ƒPlan today: stay under my TDEE of 1550.
    Good luck everyone! cheers, notfastenough

WOW! I love reading this thread …THANKS TO ALL FOR THE yougart advice ….I’m anxious to try my hand at my own yougart soon! Seems a bit overwhelming but I’m willing to try ๐Ÿ™‚ …..

Do most of you spread your 500 calories out throughout the day? I’m sure as each day goes by it will get easier and easier, but what do most of you do for breakfast? I too did a HB egg yesterday, with 1 oz of cold chicken and my iced coffee with a tad of half/half. But that didn’t seem to last too long.

Cizzy — I wear a fit bit too ….and I checked that as well, I was awake a few times and restless a bit more than usual. I’m usually restless at night but not awake as much as I was last night. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m hoping this gets better ……

Crow mamma – thank you for the Lavendar suggestion — my 14 yr old uses Lavendar regularly for anxiety and/or stress ….never thought of it for sleep! Can’t wait to go to bed tonight! ๐Ÿ™‚

rlw66- What I am trying is waiting until I am hungry, I have coffee in the AM, and then get on a treadmill – then later in the morning I will have a poached egg on toast with strawberries, or peanut butter (1 tsp!) on toast, or plain yogurt and fruit. Then I will have a small dinner, like last night chicken with lots of vegetables.
    The book stresses eating lots of vegetables, (and salad greens and herbs for flavor) especially the ones with few calories, with protein. So in addition to your HB egg and chicken, you could add any kind of vegetable you like- I often do a medley of sweet peppers and tomato- yummy with an egg. Helps fill you up for very few calories. Then drinking something all day long- water, tea, coffee, helped me yesterday.
    Cheers! notfastenough

I don’t know whether anyone answered your first question, rlw. Some people *do* report that their sleep is disturbed some in the beginning. It’s never been that way for me but it’s not an uncommon complaint. Be reassured, tho, that it doesn’t seem to last that long. And, of course, you’ve already had the tip about minimizing it! ๐Ÿ˜

It’s probably the same restlessness of starting a new job or project or a new term at school. Just a bit of nerves until the novelty wears off.

I don’t eat on my FDs. I just have plain tea and water unless I’m really ravenous and it’s interfering with my focus. Then I have some warm chicken broth and throw in some celery salt and a splash of tomato juice for a flavor boost.

The yogurt is actually a snap! You’ll see.

Crow mamma I too thank you for advice regarding lavender on bottom of feet before bed. I will give it a try.

rlw66 I have two meals on fast day. I often begin with yogurt. Actually I need to find a different source of yogurt because mine is too high in sugars. But anyway my yogurt could have some fat and much less on sugar. I eat it at 12:30 my first meal. Then At 3 I usually have 4-5 radishes to satisfy hunger- chewing urge. They are sooo low in calories. They are also delicious. In evening between 5:30 and 6 we have a meal. Save some calories for popcorn and half apple 1-2 hrs later. So, I don’t eat 3 meals exactly, but evening meal is regular food, frozen meal, or med soft boiled egg with vegetables. A favorite are the little colorful sweet peppers in a bag. They are not bad in calories, but around 40 for 3 1/2. I have a scale so could look them up and find out g. or ounces.

By the way I do like having this American thread. I tried on other threads and UK has different food and maybe some of the same, but in UK language not translated into American English.

Hi Princess and rlw:

rlw – you are losing water weight. It has nothing to do with how much you drink. Here is more than you ever wanted to know about water weight:

“This is the time of year when many begin diets with high hopes of getting lighter and healthier โ€“ quickly. Experience has shown that most will abandon their efforts within the first couple of months.

One of the many reasons they stop is that they quickly lose quite a bit of weight at the start of their diet and get very happy (there are many such posts being made daily on this site now). However, in awhile they stop losing weight at the initial rate of loss and get very unhappy โ€“ and quit. Most of the rapid, substantial weight loss they experience at the beginning is water weight loss which cannot be sustained over time.

The term water weight is not well understood. There is nothing wrong with losing water weight, but it becomes important if people think that quick water weight loss amounts at the start of the diet should continue and then quit their diets when it does not.

The body needs fat and protein to survive, but not carbs. However, carbs provide โ€˜quickโ€™ energy and the body stores a small amount for immediate energy needs. In addition to standard blood sugar, the body stores carbs in the form of glycogen. Glycogen is stored in muscles and in the liver. Bodies may contain two or three pounds of glycogen. However, to store glycogen, the body needs water โ€“ up to 4 pounds of water for each pound of stored glycogen.

So when a person goes on a diet, they reduce their caloric intake and the body starts to draw on glycogen stores to supply the energy no longer being supplied by food intake. As the glycogen is used, its weight, plus all of the water weight associated with storing it, goes away. Quickly. After glycogen stores are reduced to a level that is stabilized by the caloric intake of the new diet, the quick weight loss stops and the fat loss takes precedence. Fat loss is much slower (the old 3500 cal. from the diet to lose one pound).

The result is the initial rapid weight loss is replaced by periods of weight gain (water weight coming back) no weight loss (a plateau) or much slower weight loss. This is when many dieters quit their diets.

So enjoy your weight loss, there is nothing bad or wrong with it! Just donโ€™t quit 5:2 when you stop losing weight at the rapid pace you initially enjoyed!”

Princess – this is a post from my thread on sleep issues:

“One common side effect of fasting is insomnia. It does not affect everyone, but certainly quite a few.

In shorthand, one reason is because fasting increases norepinephrine levels in the body and one side effect of heightened norepinephrine levels is insomnia. The hormone also increases alertness (โ€˜my mind just wouldnโ€™t stop workingโ€™), speeds up the heart rate, pumps glucose into the bloodstream and is the basis of the โ€˜fight or flightโ€™ response.

Looking back, this makes sense. If in the olden days a person was unsuccessful in their hunt for food and was hungry, it would make sense for the body to become more alert, get more energy and be better able to find and catch something to eat.

There are various ways to try to mitigate the effects of the hormone that work better or worse for different individuals. The one that seems to work most often is to eat one meal in the evening of your diet day that is high in fat and protein. This seems to provide enough food so that the body does not release a lot of the hormone into the blood stream. Also, some find a snack of some kind before bedtime helps. You have to experiment to see what works for you.”

This thread will answer most of your questions: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

LA Chubster I want to try your yogurt recipe. Do you figure the calories? I am interested in having more fat (the whole milk is good) and much less sugar. Of which yours seems to have none.Thanks!

Going to try the lavender thing too!

Notfastenough, Simcoe, Pea Jay and LA — thank you so much for the responses. I just finished cleaning a whole bag of mini peppers (love those things!! Like candy!!), carrots and celery. I plan on roasting the mini peppers and having that with chicken tonight (non fast day) but it’s one of my favorite meals! I workout every morning as well (Oula or Latin hip hop at the Y) and love my classes, although they put me more into a cardio zone than a fat burning zone ๐Ÿ™ …..but mentally they do wonders for me! I did have oikos triple zero Greek yougart and frozen blueberries for dinner last night (fast day) and it did fill me up — so I’m thinking about converting that to my after workout breakfast on my fast days and then seeing if I can get by with veggies in the afternoon (or nothing but water) and then have a protein/veggie packed dinner with room for a snack before bed ….thanks all so much for the good info!!

I also sleep less when I fast, usually wake up around 3 am (thankfully not every time). At the beginning, I was trying to fight it and lay down until 5 am (my normal wake up time). Then I figure out that I could use the time better. I go and do some clean ups or laundry. Usually, I feel very bouncy and don’t feel tired during those days. At evenings I go to bed for about 30 min earlier and sleep better the following day.
    I even never call it insomnia, just extra alertness. And it does not bother me much. ๐Ÿ™‚

But I hate the days, when I actually sleeping well, and my cat decided to be an alarm at 3 am! ๐Ÿ™

Cold pizza – haha it’s amazing how animals don’t care if we are sleeping ๐Ÿ˜‰ It did seem as though I had a bit more energy at various times during the day but when I went to bed I felt very tired and ready for bed. I was more surprised by the actually getting up to use the bathroom but good to know that the sleeplessness may get better …or like you suggest, if it doesn’t and I’m alert enough to be up – I might as well get up — I will certianly have productive days!! Haha

rlw66,
    There is always a good side… we just need to find it. ๐Ÿ™‚

You might experiment with reducing drinking water after 7 pm or whatever works. Also you may search for some tea or herbs that help “speed up the process”, like chamomile, or cranberries, so the big part of the water would be out before bed time. Good luck to find the solution that works for you.

Unfortunately, it is hard to find a solution for a cat that practices at night for opera debut. But I am trying… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cold pizza — haha love it! Ooooo I like the tea to help “speed up the process” idea — thank you!

Good info simcoeluv. I kind of figured fasting would have the insomnia affect on me and it did. I’ve learned from many sleepless nights not to get too stressed out about it. When I discovered lavender rubbed into the bottoms of my feet it seems to have solved the problem for me, at least for the first 5 hrs. when I sleep very soundly. I’m thinking we should all have a party at 3 a.m. until ? and maybe a few nights of that will turn us around. I get a lot done when I get up and then go back to bed and snooze until 7 or 8 a.m. For the first time ever in my life, I’m without kitties. I even miss them waking me up. I may have to fix that situation sooner rather than later…..what kind of kitty do you have?

I think today went okay for me. I was too busy to spend much time on what I was eating or not. I’m having a too late dinner tonight but I’m keeping it very light (a salad with radishes and hardly any dressing since I don’t care much for dressings). I’m super exhausted and figuring I probably won’t have too much trouble sleeping tonight. I always have to get up to go to bathroom, but not willing to give up water. You’re right coldpizza and simcoeluv about not drinking it so much when it starts getting later.

Pea Jay, I agree about the American thread, only b/c it’s all just a bit different. One of my best friends is British; listening to her talk is like listening to beautiful music.

Night everyone. Sounds like tomorrow will come early for some of us. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m new to the forum and the diet- 3 weeks and 5 lbs (all in the 1st week) on the Every Other Day Diet. I eat 500 calories on fast day and pretty much pig out on all the things I’ve been depriving myself of for years on the feast days. I normally gravitate to very healthy foods so I’m hoping this phase ends soon once I really realize I can eat whatever I want again. No more restrictions, it just makes me binge when I can’t stand the restrictions anymore!

I have 3 kids and hitting my late forties has pushed my weight up- I went from 119 in my 20’s to 146 in my 40’s. My goal is 20 lbs and possibly a bikini again!! Hope to find a permanent solution to weight problem. Great reading all the inspiring posts!

Welcome CaliBikini,

Unfortunately, the eating without restrictions has greater effect on fasters with smaller weight. I am now 148 and my final goal is 120. I started (163 lb) very well during January and February using 36 hours water-only-fasts twice per week, but in March, my mind starts playing tricks with me saying that I could eat whatever and as much as I want. I stopped losing. I never counted calories, but my experience shows that if I want the result fast, I need to fast and to be careful what I eat.

Additionally, check out your TDEE. Technically, according to this diet, to lose weight you need eat 1/4 of your TDEE on fasting days and don’t go over your TDEE during non-fast days. Be careful when you choose your active level, sometimes we tend to choose the higher one. ๐Ÿ™‚

Many fasters assume that their TDEE is about average 2000 and choose 500 cal for fast days and complain that they are not losing. In reality, the lighter you are, the smaller TDEE (You can play with calculator under Resouces). My TDEE when I was 163 lb was 1579 cal. If I were using average 2000 cal, I would never loose.
    Now, at 148 lb, my TDEE even smaller – 1497 cal – it means that I should watch out even harder of what I eat if I want continue to lose.

Wishing you the best, and hope that my experience will help you to speed up the process. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks coldpizza– This is exactly the kind of thing I need to know and hear. I feel like I’m eating out of control on the feed days and I do not want to continue the pattern. I wiill find out my TDEE and then tone down my pig out sessions to include one treat sometimes instead of multiple treats every time!! Thanks for your support and telling me your experience- those are very valuable things for me right now to help me get off the roller coaster I’ve put myself on and move forward with a viable weight loss plan. I’m also in the beginnings of menopause which never helped any woman lose weight so I have my work cut out for me. I am determined to make this work and with this new found forum I believe I can make the changes needed to reach my goal!! Thanks and glad to be here!!

I too am all over the place on feed days. Working on not eating closer than every 4 hours on feed days. Want to bring in some of the fast day mind set to the non fast days.

Perfect idea princess cilantro- maybe I’ll try that too! I need some kind of restriction on my free for all day! It’s like all the years of dieting have created a rebel in me and I suddenly have stood up and said no more to all my healthy habits. Time for some sanity to return to feed days. Wish you luck on your journey and btw- congrats to coldpizza for the amazing weight loss!! You must feel great!

Good morning!! I had a good feed day yesterday. Nothing out of control. Actually I wasn’t very hungry at all. My downfall was when my husband called(works out of town) and I started the mindless eating listening to him talk. He talks a lot and in no time I had my hand in a bag of cashew clusters chomping away. Guess I need to start doodling with my free hand. I am so guilty of mindless eating.

Princess cilantro makes a good point of bringing the fast day mind set to non fast days. I try to stop eating by 6 pm. I have breakfast at 6am, that’s a 12 hour break from food on non fast days. It also helps my acid reflux symptoms which btw have been eased the past two days.

Everyone have a great day for we fast again tomorrow.

Cizzy2,
    It is me! I also guilty of the mindless eating. I created the rule Not to eat from any bag. This way I could limit my chips intake (sorry, cannot fight that). Additionally, I caught myself mindlessly go to refrigerator/cabinet with food on my fast days, so I put ropes on those. Somehow it helps! My husband even learn to untie the ropes if he needs something to eat and TIE it back! He is skinny and boyish looking and thankfully very supportive of my diet. ๐Ÿ™‚

Calibikini,
    I also pre-menopausal, and already had many symptoms like hot flashes, crazy heart-beats, sweating during nights. When I start fasting, the symptoms went away. I practically don’t have any negative symptoms now. Additionally, I am anemic because I have very heavy periods, and I took iron meds all my adult life. With the fasts, my periods became lighter and take less days. My iron level much higher now, and I am taking iron only during periods and 2-3 days right after the periods.

I am fasting today. Anybody ready to join?

Coldpizza

I’m with you- fast day today. Great to hear about the abatement of your symptoms-the fasting benefits never cease to amaze me!! Are you still doing 36 hours of only water on fast days? That sounds so brutal- not sure I could make it! You have an iron will!! I did my TDEE and my fast day calories should be 425 so that is a change I will make today. Tomorrow I hope and pray for strength to not go hog wild on sugar and carbs. I guess I have to avoid them again as I have done for so long!! Wish I could learn to eat them in moderation!! Maybe later in the fast I will calm down on the carb cravings! One can hope!

Hi Coldpizza
    I am fasting today! Lots of chores to do so I hope the day goes by quickly. Slow days are the worst for me to be fasting, though I have found I get a bit dizzy when I stand up quickly on fast days.

Great ideas being shared! I was reading earlier this morning at 3am and laughed when someone commented we should all chat at the crazy early morning hours.

Simcoeluv’s details on water weight and then slower fat loss was helpful – thanks. That’s right where I am at…..trying to stay clear of the scale and watch how my clothes are fitting.

I am working at getting beans and protein in on my eating days – they seem to calm me and keep my blood sugar stable. Still struggling with control on my eating days but the fasting days are going great and I LOVE looking in the mirror at my thinner face. Such an encouragement to keep this up.
    Cheers

Viewing 50 posts - 251 through 300 (of 1,456 total)

You must be logged in to reply.