Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Americans! And anyone else who might like to join :)

This topic contains 1,453 replies, has 174 voices, and was last updated by  dykask 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 1,456 total)

• Camie6,

All I think of when I hear Buellton is pea soup, which I love by the way. So glad you’re on board with the colonoscopy. My prep was a bottle of Miralax mixed with 2L Gatorade so I didn’t have to go through the hideous taste of prep drink that a lot of people talk about. I used Gatorade G2 because it has less calories than regular Gatorade.

A friend of mine got braces in his early 40s and lost a ton of weight while wearing them because he couldn’t really eat while they were on. He was on a mostly liquid diet. Unfortunately after they came off he began eating like crazy and became very overweight. Now his teeth are straight but his gut sticks way out.

Pea Jay,

I do a 5 day liquids only fast about every 8 weeks for the health benefits, not weight loss. It cleans me out and kind of gives the digestive system a rest and resets things. There are some other threads about it here that you may want to read if you’re interested in doing it. I know others do a 5 day fast every 4 weeks and some do 10 or more days, but that seems like too much for me to do.

NYCFaster,

I knew once you got back on the horse you’d be successful. Seeing a weight loss like that would give me motivation to keep going. And you know, being the thread starter, you have a reputation to keep up so you can’t quit now.

Oh man, now I’m the one being chatty; must be contagious.

Bronx

Good morning!

I love stopping in Buellton at Andersons! I knew the name of the town was somewhere I had been.

Bronx, I don’t know if I could do a 5-day fast. Kudos to you! That takes commitment! It sounds like you really think it’s worth it.

My fast on Monday went well, but it ended a little early. I spent the evening in ER worth my mother, who has pneumonia and is now on a respirator, so when I got home at 2:00 am, I decided to have a glass of wine and worry about the fast later!

I’ve abandoned my M/W/F idea while Mama is in the hospital, but I will fast tomorrow as normally planned. Right now I’m spending my days with her in ICU. I don’t want to take on anything more stressful!

Have a great day today, whether feeding or fasting! πŸ™‚

NYCFaster–WooHoo!! If us reading and writing and being chatty is was it takes to keep motivated and in the moment than perfect!!! Whatever it takes to retrain our way of eating. I also am an everyday weigher (always have been). Some people go by how their clothes fit and I do that too but that evil scale always tells the real story πŸ˜‰

So…weighing in today my 2nd day NF and I have lost another lb to make a total of 3 lbs lost. I know I’m all excited with this because I’m a newbie and the weight will not always be dropping off but I’m still happy to see numbers dropping. I used MyFitnessPal to log food and calories. I enjoyed seeing what I could eat and even had even left enough calories for my glass of wine. I ate healthy but did not feel like I was depriving myself nor just randomly stuffing myself–it was a good day.

K-Lo, at this point in my life I would be happy to have people get up and offer me a seat for grey hair or my tummy!! Haha!! Lately, it seems that at 55 I have become invisible like a non entity that people don’t seem to really see. That’s not all bad though–sometimes it’s good to not be noticedπŸ˜‰
    Good luck today and be presentπŸ’“
    Camie6

CaliRose I’m so sorry to hear about you mom, I lost my mom 5 years ago about the same way and I miss her so much. Cherish every moment with her and 5:2 will be waiting for you when life is less stressful😘

Bronx and CaliRose–who doesn’t know about Anderson Pea Soup!! Ha! It cracks me up that my brother in Houston mentions it often to me. My husband and I take our crazy wheaten terrier Hazel to a great dog park in Buellton and from the bench up a hill we see the sign. We have yet to go there–mostly because I think their soup is not really as good as it could be. I remember as a little girl driving up the coast with my faKily from Newport (where I was raised) and stopping. I wish they would try harder to make it something special because there are a lot of really amazing restaurants in the area now–it would be neat if they got on board with the growth in the valley.
    Chatty McChatty Face signing off for now πŸ˜‰

Camie6, at this point in my life I’d be happy to be 55! (And I don’t know about Anderson Pea Soup!)

CaliRose, How’s your mom?

I’m fixing a yummy homegrown spinach and lettuce salad with hardboiled eggs and bacon for dinner tonight, for tomorrow I fast. I don’t want to go into craving the bacon H will cook for his breakfast in the morning and I’ve discovered that if I haven’t deprived myself too much the day before, I do way better with my fasts. I also got in a 3.5 mi walk today so I’m treating myself to a glass of Prosecco with my salad tonight. I hope it’s enough. And even though I surprised myself on the scale this morning I sure don’t want to pack on stupid calories before tomorrow. We have the grands this weekend so I’ll get in plenty of excercise then!

I’m with you K-Lo…I’d love to see 55 again, but there was a lot of stuff I had to go through between then and now, so maybe I’ll just be happy I am alive and healthy today at 71. I’m still cool, at least according to my granddaughter. πŸ™‚ lol

Crowmama and K-Lo I am thrilled to be 55!! My dad died at 47 so to me every day is a blessing. I guess sometimes I should think before I write πŸ˜– and I so look forward to being a cool 71 year old grandma like you K-Lo!!

My dinner is leftovers from last night but I love it–ground beef tacos!! Today my biggest goal was to not eat between meals–that’s my downfall. It was actually not a big deal–I just drink water when I think about a snack. I used to troll through the day snacking….
    Camie6

Hi everyone!

Camie, I have the same goal of not eating between meals. It’s actually gotten easier since I started fasting and I’m not sure why. I still do it some, but it’s a conscious decision. Before it felt like I NEEDED something from the vending machine.

Had a pretty good NFD yesterday–snacked a bit in the afternoon and had a big dinner, but my lunch was just a soup (no breakfast) so I feel like it all balanced out. It feels so odd to be able to go into the cafeteria at work and choose soup when I could be having something fried or otherwise not so healthy. Similar to what I said above, before I started this I felt an almost compulsive need to eat the unhealthy thing. It’s like my mind was rebelling against feeling deprived and telling me that I needed to shove all the unhealthy food in my mouth to combat that. Now I feel like I can eat whatever I want on NFDs within reason which takes the urge away.

Down another .2 today and now officially at 5 lbs. down. Very strange that my lowest weight seems to always be two days after my FD instead of one, but perhaps it’s a digestion thing. I’m a bit younger than most of you I think (though I would never have guessed–I guess you are young at heart!) and I know that I probably have that to thank for dropping weight relatively quickly in the beginning. I am mentally preparing myself to keep pushing through even when the weight loss slows down a bit (or a lot).

Hope you all have a good day today! Another NFD for me and I have a work situation that I’m worried about followed by a big party with lots of food and drinks, so wish me luck with controlling both my stress eating and my happiness eating πŸ˜‰

Camie, not a grandma yet. I’m 60 and my kids are 20 and 24.

And yes, it’s much easier to NOT snack when you go through days of fasting and you realize you’re not going to die if you don’t eat something RIGHT NOW.

I am so close to goal…and I seem to be popping up and down between 120 and 122. I would LOOOOOVE to get below 120 – a5 5′ 1″. But all my clothes fit, so I am NOT complaining.

A gorgeous day in NYC.

Camie6, thanks for the compliment of being a cool grandma. Yes, I am a cool grandma, a crazy artist (painter mainly, but I’m loving textiles at the moment and also doing some shrines). The thing is I don’t want to look like a grandma and I am carrying more weight now that I’ve gotten older. Today is a fast day and I woke up thinking I’d blow that off and have a hearty breakfast instead. But rather than do that, I thought I’d pop in here first and see if I could get some inspiration and you guys did it for me! I’m having a cup of coffee with a big helping of renewed and inspired effort for a fast day instead of my original plan. It’s supposed to be way hot here today so I’m climbing Mount Laundry and hanging the clothes outside to dry which is super good excercise since it means dozens of trips up and down stairs. Off to chores to keep me out of the kitchen and knitting to keep my hands busy.

I admire artists and wish I had even a little talent but have none at all. The only thing I’ve ever been able to draw are stick figures. My hand drawn schematics at work were so hard to read I had to learn AutoCad and now I draw them on the computer.

Another fast day for me today. I kind of splurged yesterday and felt it overnight. Had turkey with gravy over cornbread and then shared peanuts and cashews with the dog. Have to be careful with nuts because, while they’re supposedly good for you, they are packed with calories and it’s too easy to eat too many.

CaliRose, sending positive thoughts to your mother today. I wouldn’t worry about fasting right now either, although with me when I’m stressed I tend to lose my appetite and not eat anything.

Bronx

I’m on an opposite trend compared to most of you! Since back from vacation a couple of weeks ago I continue to crave — and eat!– unreasonable amounts of treats. It’s like my brain is stuck in vacation-mode and does not want to switch back!

I’m sticking with the program on Fast Days, but on feed days it’s like getting that willpower back is a real problem. This might be a lesson for me to not indulge daily while on vacation, to have treats but to keep the habit of moderation intact.

I am sure I have gained pounds, as my clothes are getting tighter! Am contemplating adding a third fast day for a while or going every other day to shock myself back into to healthy feed day habits again! Am way too out of control right now.

Good morning!

It’s a fast day for me. Yes, I’m stressed, but they don’t serve food in the ICU (Mama has a feeding tube right now), so it’s easy to not snack or think about food. Mama was doing better and they had removed her breathing tube, but she had to be re-intubated at midnight last night. She’s not doing as well as hoped. The call woke me up and I couldn’t get back to sleep, so today will be a tougher fast day. However, since I usually try not to eat anything on a FD, at least I know I can eat up to 500 cal if total food abstinence seems too challenging today. I think I can handle that.

I’m not anywhere near being a grandma yet (my son is 8), but I’m grateful for this board and all the encouragement here! (Thanks NYC for creating it!) I’m also not an artist – I think painting is fun, but no one ever wants to hang anything I paint.

Yesterday I went to the gym and lifted weights during my “lunch” for the mental health benefits. If I take a lunch break from the hospital today, I might walk or do some HIIT – whatever will keep me busy and reduce my stress!

K-Lo, congrats on being so close to goal!

Have a great day, everyone!

CaliRose,
    So sorry to hear about your mom and I’m sending positive thoughts to both of you. My feeling is that, with all the stress right now, do whatever works for you right now. And you’re in the best position to know that that is.

BTW, Fast Day for me today too, thanks goodness. A break from my excesses.

CaliRose, so sorry I missed your initial comment about your mom. I’m really sorry you’re going through that. While I completely agree that you should do whatever works for you right now, I also know that sometimes in these situations it’s nice to have a goal and something else to focus on, so I understand fasting anyway. I’ll be thinking good thoughts about you and your mom today.

CaliRose, so sorry to read your update on your mom. It sounds like alot of us on our fast day so keep checking in if you decide that this is a good distraction. Like Workinprogress2016 said though–do whatever works best for you. No judging here πŸ™‚

Ok, so today is fast day after two days off. My scale was a bit up this AM but not enough to get discouraged about…it might be from the tortilla chips my husband brought down to the couch…urgh!! Bronx–I feel your pain… Anyway, today is fast day and that seems alot easier right now to deal with. Having said that I just calculated my weight lose and it’s a 2.6 lbs–I’ll take that!!

K-Lo–You go girl!! It’s in your sites!! I would love for my clothes to be fitting again…I won’t know what to do with myself when I can get back in MOST of my clothes…something to look forward to.

workinprogress2016–that’s how this whole thing started for me this week!! We bought a new travel trailer and took it to the beach and I basically bought “vacation food” and ate and ate and ate my way through each day. It was kind of out of control, and I knew it, I just didn’t seem to care. THEN I weighed myself the first morning back and realized that I had an issue I needed to deal with NOW. I thought about all the diets I have tried and remembered that my feeble attempt at the FastDiet last time would have worked and not been a diet but a lifestyle change IF I had really wanted it. So, back I go to really try this and I like and and want it to work. We all are just trying to be healthy and I feel this is a very good start!! Good luck to you!!

crowmama–It’s laundry day for me too but I don’t have stairs. Think of all the extra calories burned!! I kind of miss having stairs to be honest.

So, today is fast day for a few of us. I made a great chicken broth yesterday to help get through the day. For some reason homemade broth is like mother’s milk to a baby to me!! I feel energized after a cup!! I did have my coffee with half and half this AM with a half of banana and a few almonds. Lunch will probably be broth and then finish off with dinner. Is that a good plan? Being a newbie I’m just trying to get through the day. Oh! And my passion sun tea (pomegranite) is also something that I’m really liking πŸ™‚

Good luck to all!! We’ve got this!!!
    Camie6

CaliRose, just stay healthy and strong right now. Stay sane.

Camie6, I have a skinny four story house. NOTHING BUT STAIRS. 45 steps between my kitchen and my bedroom. That’s we have a coffee pot/dorm fridge in our bathroom. How I wish my laundry was anywhere but off my kitchen.

I am American. I live in the beautiful State of Florida. I am new to this particular fasting protocol but not really new to intermittent fasting. I had been losing and gaining the same 2 pounds all month and yesterday was my first “fasting day” and this morning I had a lovely surprise on the scale. Not only lost the two pounds I had adopted but an additional two pounds. Today is my non fasting day and I have only had my coffee. I know I can eat but I am not hungry and I know I have a great meal coming at 5. I do follow a Low Carb Healthy Fat diet so will probably have different results as I never have sugar spikes or hunger as I eat more protein and fats than is recommended. I have, however, lost 33 pounds in 4 months and have crazy energy so I am pretty pleased with it. But being 61 years old, it comes off slower so I know fasting will help with that.

Hi Florida and welcome:

Here is some information and a tip or two: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi all,

Just finishing up my fourth true fast day of this time around. I noticed this time that it was much easier to ignore the hunger pangs. I felt like my mind was a tiny bit more accepting of like, “this is a fast day and there’s nothing you can do about it so just think about something else.” It still wasn’t pleasant, but I feel good about it. Looking forward to three NFDs in a row. Hope you all enjoy your weekends!

P.S. CaliRose, I hope things have improved with your mom today.

Good morning!

I know I am way too chatty, but I am so happy with this way of eating today. I am officially down 5.8 lbs today (goal is 38.2 total so 32.4 to go) and I just feel so relieved. I know most of it is water weight right now, but I’ve been feeling so bad about myself for putting this weight on, and I’m so happy to feel like I’m finally on the right track, and in a way that I could actually sustain long-term. I really appreciate the encouragement everyone on this forum provides as I’m not sure I could have stuck to it alone even this far.

I hope all of you are having an equally good day!

NYCFaster—way to go!!! I am down 3.9 lbs and I am thrilled!! I feel that for once this is really a life style change that I want to keep doing. Rather than being so hard on myself it is nice to have good results and not feel like I’m missing out the on living.

I’m with you–just checking in here gives me such strength!! And watching your scale tick down every day (or most days) is fuel for your fire and mine!! Haha!!

CaliRose–hope you mom is doing better, sending good thoughts your way!!

Camie6

Back from my holiday in the states and the scale is showing 1.5kg gain. Back on EOD fasting today, hoping that 1.5 will be gone soon and take some of its stubborn little friends with it. Even though the scale is up, my recently purchased new jeans (in a smaller size) still fit so hoping I’m still hanging onto extra fluid. Somewhat modified fasting day today as I work night shift tonight (maybe I will get a nap in), and my partner has an orthopaedic consult tomorrow at 10:00am. So I’ll conceivably be awake about 30 hours if I don’t get a nap! Probably will exceed 500 calories but I won’t be eating until our evening meal. I always take something to eat when I work nights – low in calories, like a cup of soup, that keeps me going if I get a bit droopy and peckish at 3:00am.

All in all, very glad to be home and back into eating better, again!

It’s always so good to hear about people doing well, feeling well, on this way of eating. I felt better when my partner and I were doing 5:2, and I had one heck of a time trying to do 4:3, but somehow every other day seems to work well and easier than 5:2! Next, it will be jet lag catching up along with the effects of night shift. I’m pretty sure I’ll be sleeping 10-12 hours Monday night!

I hope everyone has a great and successful week no matter how many fasting/non-fasting days!

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday. I’m feeling a little nervous about this week because I’m not sure when I’ll fit my first fast day in. I’ve been doing Tuesday and Friday and coming home as early as possible after work on those days to have avocado toast, which I find very filling, but now I have all day commitments on Monday and Friday that it would be awkward to not eat at (don’t really want to explain 5:2 to my boss who barely knows me and a client), Wednesday I have a late night commitment and Thursday I have a late night food-based commitment. I am thinking I will try to do tomorrow and will just try to keep it quiet that I’m not eating, and then worst case scenario I can do Wednesday and will just have to figure out something I can eat at work around 6 that day. I don’t trust myself to try an all water fast yet–I’ll just end up binging. I guess it’s good that I’m trying instead of just giving up like I usually would though!

NYC Faster,
    I sympathize. I am in a similar situation this week with three workplace lunch events, one on my fast day. On the fast day I am hoping to just chat with folks a lot while sipping on water or, if available, raw veggies.

The other lunch events could derail the calories omitted on fast day. Right now my strategy is to watch portions, maybe eat half, etc. Not sure how that will play out in real time since I’ve not been very disciplined post-vacation a couple of weeks ago.

Good Monday morning!! It’s a fast day!!! I just read the posts from NYCFaster and Workinprogress 2016–good luck you guys!!! I am home and retired so I don’t have work temptations. Find strength and know that at least you are trying to get through a very busy work week AND also try to remember how good it will feel to drop the unwanted lbs!!!

I had my coffee with cream this AM, went on my walk and now paying bills and drinking a giant glass of water. I have homemade chicken broth for lunch and I’m thinking of making this super easy tomato soup for dinner. This will be my first fast day trying to not eat any food and just drink liquids. I think might be easier to not have to deal with trying to figure out the calories and such….we will see!

I weighed myself this AM, I have lost 2.5 lbs from a week ago so….that is great!!! I love to watch that number go down rather that creep up and up each week. The last 3 days were regular eating days I tried to be more aware of what I was sticking into my mouth and really tried not to snack–I think that is my biggest problem. Oh and my husband and I did drink a whole bottle of wine watching Game of Thrones–it’s just TOO stressful!!!

I’ll keep checking in today just to see what’s up and get some strength on this fast day πŸ™‚

Keep up the good work y’all!!
    Camie6

I am new to this forum, but not new to fasting and LCHF way of eating. Am always curious to learn new methods and ideas, so look forward to chatting.
    In the past year I have managed to loose 45 pounds, and feel stuck on weight loss presently. I am kick starting breaking the plateau for a week now, and plan to continue alternate day fasting (500 calories in the evening) with up day being LCHF.
    Am a big fan of Dr Jason Fung, and also have read the 8 week blood sugar solution for fast weight loss (now viewed favorably). Initially I intended to loose at least 50 pounds, but was serious about dropping blood sugar levels without taking prescription. They are lowered but want to drop below 5.9. Fasting will be best thing.
    One day at a time…

CaliRose, How are you doing? Any improvements with your mom? Thinking about you!

Checking in so I don’t eat my arm. Let me echo what Camie6 said to NYCFaster and Workinprogress 2016…Good luck! Be sure to drink water before your meals. I’m retired too Camie6, although I don’t use that word b/c I haven’t figured out how you retire from being an artist. I have retired from doing murals in other people’s houses and all commercial work, except for dog portraits. I spent morning working on one until I thought I’d faint from hunger. Came into house and had a 100 cal. tub of greek yogurt. It helped, so does all the coffee I’m consuming, but I’m hungrier today than I’ve been on any of my fasts. Go figure. Thinking is if I check in with you all then I’ll feel encouraged and it will strengthen my resolve. I’ve kinda’ noticed that I’m now losing and gaining the same 2 lbs. below 164 like I was doing above 165 only then it was 5 lbs. up and down, up and down, so I guess on some level I’ve made progress. H fixed himself an incredible breakfast and wanted to know if I wanted some and I said No, but now it’s all I can think about. Maybe it’s actually impossible for old ladies to lose weight…please say it isn’t true. It just feels like it right now. Trying not to be a whiner…..

1:15 PM ……tick…..tock….tick…. All I can say is thank God for this site and forum!! I need to just stop thinking about this diet but I can’t. Maybe I just need this intense type of focus to commit myself? Not sure.

Crowmama–I meant to comment on this last week but forgot!! I WISH I could paint and I love the fact that now you just do dog portraits. Two of my brothers are outstanding artists–so what happened to me?? Not sure–I was custom making chainmaille silver and gold jewelry for a while but now my hands can’t handle the pliers I use in each hand to weave the little rings together.

LS–thanks for the info I just saw the blood sugar book on Amazon and I’ll check out Dr Fung–I’ve seen his name pop up here and there.

I guess I’ll go have a cup of coffee because I can’t just babble on here!!
    Camie6

Anonymous

Hello all! Just joined the forum this evening- posting a quick intro- I came across this diet by accident but very excited to get started. Looking forward to learning some pointers, and losing the 30 plus pounds I cant stand. Ciao for now!

Hi everyone!

This is just a quick hello. I had a nice normal weekend, and then today was intended to be a fast day. I planned to fast, planned to fast, and halfway through a cinnamon roll I baked as a treat for my son today, I realized that I had forgotten to fast. I forgive myself. I’ll just have to move it to a different day.

Mama is still in the hospital. Still in ICU. For every step forward she makes, she takes 2 steps back. The only real positive is that her respiratory infection seems to be getting better. Everything else seems to only improve for short periods before worsening again. It’s a roller coaster of hope and, well, loss of hope. It’s rough.

And given this stress, I don’t really care if I don’t fast this week. My stress is reaching the max of what I can take, so I’m not going to worry about fasting if it seems like a challenge.

Sorry if I’m a debbie-downer. I’ll be back on the wagon soon! πŸ™‚

Have a great week everyone!

CaliRose so glad to hear from you!! You are not a debbie-downer–you are coping and trying to find ways of dealing with a very scary and emotional time in your life. I’m glad to see that you did not beat yourself up but forgave yourself for eating that cinnamon roll. You are doing great–just one day at a time right now and as I said before–you can get back on track when you have the strength!!

Cellothere68–you found us!! Ha! Good luck getting started–this is my second week and I really think this is a doable diet or better yet lifestyle change!!

Good luck and focus!!
    Camie6

I have spent some time going back through some of the pages of posts – and really enjoying the stories.
    CaliRose with your mom in ICU it will be impossible to have focus for anything else. Be where you have to be. The rest in all good time.
    Seems like a lot of posters from the States. I am blogging from Ontario. Today is a fast day for me, and I am only having a few periodic stomach grumblings. Seems like it is getting easier. Just started last week doing alternate day and on my eat days, I eat LCHF. Sometimes I incorporate a week of fat fasting. For the past few months I have also been doing 8 hr intermittent fasting (eating between 11:30 – 7:30) and continue to do that on my eat days as well.
    Beautiful day here-when I leave work shortly I am picking up by 2 year old grandson and off we will go and play.

CaliRose, Be kind to yourself. As most of us know, dieting is available anytime, anyday, and always there. Right now, it sounds like more pressing issues are weighing in on you (pun not intended:-) so, whatever you do, don’t be hard on yourself for anything, especially cinnamon roles, which, by the way, was an incredibly “sweet” gesture to do for your son (pun intended there). We’re thinking about you! With much trepidation, I got on the scale this morning. I was at 160!! I’m sure it was a false read and I’ll be a pound or 1/2 more tomorrow, but I am working super hard to stay on task today and not overdue calories on my non-fast days. Weekends are tough! I was beyond excited when I saw what it was. It’s been about 10 years since I was at that weight so I’m feeling quite goal oriented. It helps me to know I am making small progresses and I appreciate I can share this with you all. Good luck to everyone new and new beginnings. The support here is wonderful! We’re off to the mountains for about a week. Our nephew’s band is doing a big event at a ski area on Saturday, and DIL is singing at a restaurant in our town that night. Everyone’s coming up to stay with us so we’re planning menus to accomodate reasonable eating. Wish me luck; action packed. But until we go on Thursday, I’m working hard at being focused with calories and progress.

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the encouragement re: workplace food issues! I didn’t end up fasting on Monday like I wanted to because temptation got to me, but I’m determined to get two fast days in this week, so here’s hoping today goes well. I’m a little nervous because I’m not sure what I’m going to eat, but I’ll be in a no-food zone from about 5:30 to 10 so if I can just make it to then I should be okay. I also have a pretty excruciating (hopefully not serious) health issue going on right now and as sad as it is I’m hoping that will kill my appetite…

Crowmama, I was planning to tell you that of COURSE you can lose weight, but I see you beat me to it by actually doing it πŸ™‚ the feeling of being your lowest weight in so long must be AMAZING. Can’t wait to get there.

CaliRose, glad to hear you are going easy on yourself. You and your mom are still in my thoughts. Hopefully once the respiratory infection fully clears up her body can get to work on everything else.

As I mentioned a while back, I have a series of rewards for myself that I “get” after maintaining various weights for five consecutive days. I just hit five consecutive days for five pounds down and I am thrilled! It feels like weight loss is really happening this time, you know? My reward this time is a new cookbook–hopefully one with a good backstory and not too many tempting pictures πŸ˜‰ in all seriousness though, the great part is that I really don’t feel deprived. Because I haven’t fasted yet this week, I know that the reason I’ve been able to keep my weight down is because I’m finally controlling myself and making reasonable food choices on my non-fast days. Despite that, I really haven’t had a single day where I felt like I was missing out. I eat till I’m not hungry anymore (most of the time), and then I go out and do other things. It feels like a magic trick!

Welcome Cello and LS.

I gained back one of those pounds I had hoped was a “real” loss, but I figured I was going to, so back at 161, but the goal for next week is to slip beneath 160. I know I can, right? I put on a pair of fat jeans this morning and they were decidedly baggy so I whipped out my measuring tape and lo and behold I’d lost 1″ off hips and 1 1/2″ off waist so I’m a happy camper and it was a great affirmation that the first 10 lbs. gone is actually happening for me!

I’ll be thinking about you CaliRose and hoping things turn for the better.

Love the magic trick NYCFaster. I kind of think on one level this diet itself is kind of a magic trick since I’ve finally gotten rid of 5lbs. that I’d been gaining and losing for years, plus 5 more!

I’m fasting tomorrow per usual since company isn’t coming up until Friday night and Saturday AM. I have my goal to get out of the 160’s this weekend but if I can’t then definitely next week. Going to be a hot time in the city so will be glad to be in mountains and it’s easier for me to not eat when it’s not so hot.

Today is fast day, hoping the hunger won’t strike too hard. I seem to do fine until early evening, and then generally have a stir fry (lots of veggies and some shrimp/lean protein & shiritaki noodles). But that doesn’t seem to do the trick, so often will also have a cup of soup using my homemade broth, more veggies, and usually some ground beef as well). Try to do water only until evening.
    The eat days are working out tremendously! Each time there has been a function or celebration the nights are working out to be my eat days. On NF days I also do the 16:8 fast, and try to eat LCHF. But last night enjoyed BBQ ribs and (my favourite) fries and gravy. Had glass of wine, but said no to dessert.
    Going to be hot all weekend, will enjoy family get together to celebrate fathers day, which also is a NF day. Plan to make a rhubarb delicious dessert as in perfect season now.
    Enjoy beautiful day and goodluck to all F & NF

I’m fasting today too! I am really trying to get a hold of this whole thing and my weight certainly shows. I kind of keep fluctuating between the same 3 lbs–erg!! I know what I’m doing wrong and I’m trying to be more conscious of my choices on NF days. Today I weighed in down 3.5 lbs which is great following 2 non-fast days BUT when I weighed myself on Tuesday following Monday’s fast day I was up–very disappointing! I think I know what I did wrong–I was drinking my homemade chicken broth and then I made a simple tomato soup but I bet the sodium was off the charts on both because I salt a bit heavy on soups and I showed that with the weigh-in. So, today my plan is no broth, hard boiled egg whites if I get hungry and steamed or roasted vegies for dinner and water, water, water!!!!!

Oddly enough I have a quiet weekend. My adult kids are doing busy with their dad for Father’s Day and my husband has a race on Saturday (motorcycle speedway–old guys racing on motorcycles without brakes…oy!) but I’m thinking of fasting on Saturday because I’ll be by myself πŸ™‚ Way easier!!! I think I won’t decide until after today–I am really trying to make this a lifestyle change and not push it so much that I don’t want to do it. So far so good–I’m ok with fasting today and looking forward to a clean day πŸ™‚

Next week might be tough–we are taking trailer to beach where I seem to think I can eat like a whale!!! hahaha!! One day at a time πŸ˜‰

Take care and be strong!! Camie6

Carnie6,
    Yep, I hear ya. I’m still struggling to get back on track. I know what I have to do — exercise discipline on feed days, but my willpower is sorely lacking these days.

For this week my goal has been modest, to remain on track with Fast Days (something I have done 100 percent since I started in late May) and to continue to exercise. Remaining true to those two things is my baseline for when I feel like I Just want to take a week off from 5:2! Then, starting Monday I hope, the plan is to adopt some calorie limits on feed days and to follow that until I’ve adjusted my stomach and cravings to smaller meals on feed days. We shall see how it goes.

Today is a Fast Day so all’s well. Good luck everyone!

Hi Folks!

No fast for me this week. Mama decided to join Daddy in heaven, and she passed away Tuesday. It’s not worth attempting to fast right now. Maybe next week. Or the next one.

Meanwhile, I’m a little stunned that she’s gone and have been functioning on auto-pilot. I’ve lost both parents in 2 months. While I am looking forward to getting my life back and creating a “new normal” for me, I’m disoriented right now.

Thanks all of you for the prayers, warm thoughts and encouragement through this, even though I just “met” you all. I’ll probably go quiet for a while, but I will be back!

CaliRose,
    I am so sorry. Am sending more prayers to you and your family. Please do whatever you need to do to take care of yourself right now.

CaliRose
    So sorry to hear about your mothers’ passing. My condolences…

I have been busy researching more on fasting and found some very interesting information on fasting for 5 days straight per month, or even 5 days fasting every other or couple of months. It is strict in the allocation of ratios of proteins, fats, and carbs, but you do get approx 1050 calories first day, and the following 4 just 750. Sounds very do-able
    Search Dr Longo. As well, Dr Jason Fung advocates longer fasts as well.
    One link leading to another and on it goes

CaliRose, I am so, so sorry to hear that. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers this week. I hope you will take as much time as you need off of fasting or anything related to worrying about food. However, I hope you’ll also feel like you can come post here anytime you need, whether you’re fasting or not. There’s something I find comforting about sharing my burdens with people who don’t know the “real life” me. Plus, you all know many embarrassing things about me that real people don’t know (like I got another pregnancy comment on the subway last night!!)

CaliRose, I am so very sorry for both your losses. You should just take care of yourself right now, however best you can.

Oh CaliRose my heart hurts for you but thank you for keeping us posted. Take time to deal with all this and I hope ALL of us stranger-friends will be right here when you return. Take care Sweets!!

NYCFaster–remember my comment?? You just look so youthful they think your preggers!!

You know with CaliRose losing her mom it made me think about my mom and this story applies to all of us so here I go telling a story!! Can you tell it’s a fast day?? Haha!

My mom was 80 and really trying to fight non-Hopkins lymphoma which she was doing but she needed a cycle of radiation on her hip. I stayed with her for the 6 weeks of twice a day treatments. She was always concerned about her weight and appearance and always looked so beautiful and put together. We are built very similarly so we had the same stubborn 10 lbs that we were always fighting. Anyway–about halfway through the radiation she was quite thin and I was really worried about how weak she looked. I took her to her regular physician because he was also keeping tabs on her. The nurse called her name and I helped her go back to the exam area. Of coarse they needed to weigh her. What did that sweetheart do because of years of practice? She flipped her shoes off and literally drooped her little wind breaker type jacket on the floor–because why? You all know–that’s extra lbs!! I remember we laughed and laughed!! That memory is something that always makes me smile πŸ™‚

I guess my point in telling this story is that our weight is and may something we deal with forever but it’s nice to know we are all in the same boat. CaliRose take a break and come back when you want. NYCFaster–you have your health and you are working on that stupid tummy but just laugh it off!! Hopefully, we have maybe found a solution in this 5:2 diet that might break the cycle of forever dieting and just living life!!

Cheers to you all–I’m going to go get my glass of water!!
    Camie6

CaliRose,
    So sorry to hear about your mom. And your dad a couple months ago. Stay strong and don’t worry about fasting right now. My heart goes out to you.πŸ’•πŸ’•

Camie, I love your posts–you are always a bright ray of sunshine in our thread!

Today is a fast day for me, my first time doing one with only one NFD in between. I’m a little nervous because of that, and also because I’m working from home, had a lot to drink last night at my work event, AND I’m finding myself a bit burnt out on my default fast day meal of avocado toast. I’m trying to think of something else I could have that would be satisfying and wouldn’t involve a lot of cooking, which I can’t say I’m in the mood for on a fast day.

My weight was up 1.4 after last night, which wouldn’t be that bad for a NFD, but usually I’m down after drinking, so I assume it will go up more. However, it’s only one day and I can’t ruin several weeks of weight loss with one night of drinking, so I am just going to ignore it and get through my fast day. I was too busy to buy my fast day book on Wednesday, so tonight I’ll reward/distract myself with picking out two! Once I get through today I’ll have three weeks of 100% 5:2 compliance, which is pretty exciting for me.

HI Y’all!
    I’m in Austin Texas, originally from a place where we say “you guys” . I’ve been on a great thread with some lovely fast trackers because I am doing every other day until I hit goal, then I’ll go to 5:2.
    But, like NYC, sometimes I need peeps closer to my time zone when the other side of the World sleeps. We are Central, so just an hour behind eastern.
    I have the same boring story of thin till , age, children, and sedentary life caught up. But as for my health, that’s a different story. I’ve always felt low energy and had lots of way too young aches n pains….and fasting is really helping me. So I’m even more excited for that than Weightloss!
    I’m a physician but very open minded and I’ve never been part of the big system, never made enough money to live…thank God my husband does. So I’m fascinated by the science of fasting and eager to share it with patients.
    Ok, enough for now, I’ll catch up with getting to know everyone by reading the thread in the next couple of days.

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 1,456 total)

You must be logged in to reply.