All or nothing

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Big_Bill 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• So this morning I had to talk myself out of doing another fasting day. I had already fasted 4 days out of the past 5 and I’d only had 2 cups of black coffee prior to midday.

Before this “binge” of fasting I had a couple of bad weeks and gained back a couple of kilos. My TDEE is between 3,000 and 3,500 calories, so for me to gain 1 kilo per week I’ve got to be eating in the region of 4,000+ to 4,500+ calories per day. A large block of chocolate and/or a large bag of crisps gets me there easily enough.

I’m glad that I heard about and tried the 5:2 lifestyle, it seems to suit me very well so far. And when I fall off it’s easier to get right back into it. But…. I suspect that I’ll always struggle to find a moderate balance, no matter what diet I am on.

I was reading this morning in the online news about a “new” type of diet that is taking off: eating one meal per day, with no restrictions on what you can eat at that meal.

There’s nothing remotely new about that, it’s pretty much the “Carbohydrate Addicts Diet” which I tried about 20 years ago (with some success, I lost 16 kg over a few months).

The article did give some indication that this was another form of intermittent fasting, and that intermittent fasting had been shown to have a number of significant benefits. But it still wound up with “there are no long-term studies into the risks and benefits of intermittent fasting, so the best approach is still to eat less at every meal and move more”.

Guess what? There is plenty of evidence regarding the effectiveness of that last piece of advice. It has been thrown around a lot over the past few decades, perhaps not entirely coincidentally at the same time as we have seen the rising obesity epidemic.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.