After 1+ yr of 5:2, still very tired on fast days

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
After 1+ yr of 5:2, still very tired on fast days

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  nigorahon 9 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi, I know that some people report feeling more energetic on fast days while others feel much more lethargic..I happen to belong to the latter camp.

I’ve been doing 5:2 for 1 yr 4 months and have successfully lost 35 pounds, gained a few and am maintaining now. Problem is, I still feel VERY tired on fast days although I don’t feel that hungry. Just yesterday I had a fast day and was knocked out (unwillingly!) in the afternoon for 4 hours even though I had proper sleep the previous night. Quite productive, I would say. :/

It wasn’t that much of a problem to me while losing weight but now that I’m maintaining, the lack of energy on fast days is getting irritating and it’s not getting better. If I am to keep this up for the rest of my life, I hope to be able to handle my fast days better!

Hope someone can help me out! Other facts about me – I’m 27 years old, have normal blood sugar according to a medical checkup last mth, and my BMI is currently 19-20. On my fast days, I usually have tea/coffee/milk with fruit for lunch and something more substantial for dinner.

I’d say you need to start the day with something more substantial. Get some protein first thing in the morning – boiled eggs are perfect. Since watching the Horizon Special: ‘What’s The Right Diet For You?’ I’ve being doing this and it has definitely helped. Here’s a sample of my daily regime:
    Breakfast: boiled medium egg
    Mid-morning: tangerine
    Lunchtime: CalBisc 100 (or medium banana)
    Mid-afternoon: apple
    Teatime: smoked salmon (50g) with salad
    With cups of tea & coffee thrown in this comes to about 550 calories leaving me a few spare if I’m feeling particularly hungry at any point.
    You’ll notice that I split it up to give myself something to look forward to every 2 or 3 hours. I think this helps both psychologically and to keep your energy levels from falling too low.
    (CalBisc 100 is a really nutritious biscuit I found on the Web. It’s quite high in protein and is easily carried around going to work.)

Hi alan56, thanks so much for your detailed advice! Ok, I guess I’ll try to spread my calories out more, and eat when I feel my energy dipping..I would have preferred to save more calories for dinner as I usually eat with my husband and he likes to see me eating, but I guess everyone’s made differently and I should listen to my body more. I’m also scared of eating too many calories if I graze throughout the day but I guess I’ll have to be mindful! Thanks!

Agree splitting the calories throughout the day. If I’m not working on a fast day I save all my cals for evening. And have an afternoon nap!

On a work day I have:
    One egg spinach omelette (no milk, 100 cal)
    Homemade tomato soup (1/2 tin tomatoes, herbs, water, salt,50 cal)
    Dinner is 100 cal worth of rice, with chicken breast or white fish in vegetable sauce ( tomato based sauce with veg in it) 350 cals.

I also eat with the family in the evening. The above dinner doesn’t look too small!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.