Advice please!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Apricot 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi! This is a little long I apologise but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I started the 5:2 about 2 years ago and loved it, I lost about 7lbs over 7 weeks so was very happy. After this I went through a breakup and lost another 7 lbs so no longer need to do the 5:2 for weight loss so stopped. Last year I had put around 7lbs back on so decided to do the 4:3 to lose it, I lost 6lbs in 6 weeks which again I was very happy about. After a very over indulgent holiday in South America I put the weight back on. I have been doing the 4:3 again for 6 weeks and haven’t moved any weight in the slightest. I also try and do an 18:6 eating window on non fast days so I don’t over indulge. I work in the dance and fitness industry so work out and run a lot during the week so can’t add anymore exercise into my week. I love the fast diet but am starting to get a little frustrated as it is not working as successfully as previous times where the loss was muxh easier.

Basically the 5:2 diet tricks the body into thinking it really isn’t on a reduced calorie diet. Eat normally, eat less only twice per week. Third time around your body isn’t falling for the same trick again. It has reduced your metabolic rate to compensate for the reduced calories!! Try this, it might work. Go back to 5:2, but the 2 fast days are REAL fasts. Water only. Yes its tough but its do-able. What have you got to lose? What youre doing isn’t working. By the way I used to do 5:2 water fasts and now do maintenance 6:1 water fasts. Its not as hard as it seems.

I’m no nutrition expert so I feel uncomfortable giving any kind of diet advice, but you may want to recheck the amount of calories you’re eating on non fast days. You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume.

I agree with Bigbooty that doing 0 calorie fast days isn’t as hard as it sounds. I am doing two 0 calorie fasts a week and, while I admittedly feel some hunger on my second fast day (Thursday), it’s something I can live with. I don’t have any weight to lose but do two fasts a week so I can indulge a little on weekends and not gain weight.

I wish you great success with your fasting goals.

Bronx

Thanks for advice, I’ve really been pulling my hair out over it. Nothing seems to have helped. I always watch what I eat on non fast days keeping it between 1200-1800 as I do a lot of exercise due to my job I can’t drop too much more.
    On the 4:3 I’m only eating one meal a day around 5-6pm then not again til morning so going all day without food wouldn’t make too much difference so I’ll give it a go and see if it kick starts the weight loss off. I certainly hope it does!
    Thanks again!

Go 5:2 instead of 4:3. Eat normally on the 5 and water fast on the 2. See what happens.

If that doesn’t kick start it (and it should do), try reducing carbs considerably on both the fasting days and non fasting and increasing fats to make up, using mainly olive oil, butter or coconut oil for cooking. There seems to be evidence that this reduces insulin action more and may therefore increase fat burning as long as you don’t eat more than your TDEE. If you haven’t already, re-calculate your TDEE using the “how it works” section. Also, having a higher percentage of protein and fat than carb will make you less hungry and therefore more likely to stay under your TDEE.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.