Advice needed

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 10 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• I started the 5:2 around amonth ago. I am very strict on my fast days and have fasted twice a week religiously. I finally plucked up the courage to weigh myself and i havent lost anything! I have been going to the gym around 3-4 times a week doing cardio and weights and i havent been particularly watching what i eat on feast days. I also drink tonnes of diet coke which has been suggested could be the problem. Does anyone have any advice please?

Hi laurac85 I am a Weight Watcher I only started 5-2 last Friday first day fast and then again Sunday day 2nd day. sticking to WW strictly the other days I lost 3 lb, I only have one diet coke or two, at the most. I only wanted to lose about 8 lbs. I have lost 56lb with WW in 17 months I have kept 50 of it off since July 2011. 5-2 is working for me. If I was were you I would just write everything down that you eat, do not think about pointed ei WW but you might have a look at the calories when it says on the packet that is. Good Luck please do not give up, think about what you are eating a bit as well.

Hi JIPWGP

Thank you for your advice, I have done weight watchers on and off for years and although i loose the weight i tend to put it straight back on again. I have been doing a bit of research and i think my problem is not only eating what i want but also eating as much as i want! I think i need to start watching my calorie consumption on non-fast days aswel as fast days! I was discussing the diet coke issue with a doctor at work and she suggests that although you are not drinking sugar the sweetner in it is triggering the release of insulin. I drink ALOT of diet coke! definately something to think about

Keep in touch, you are thinking right, give it a good go.JIP

Thank you so much for the support. any other advice is greatly received 🙂

I’m of the opinion that sweeteners are roughly a squillion times worse for you than actually just drinking a pint of sugar filled carbonated badness, so don’t ask me about diet coke, I’m biased. But yeah – totally knock that rubbish on the head if you possibly can (if only for your tooth enamel).

You’ve also kind of figured it out for yourself above. If you haven’t been paying any attention to your calorie intake on non-fastdays and haven’t lost any weight then maybe you should start. You don’t have to obsessively calorie count but knowing that your roughly coming in comfortably between your BMR and TDEE numbers should be enough.

Don’t worry too much if you still don’t lose right away though, some people just don’t. Some lose inches first and only later start to lose weight, some take ages to notice either change but are still getting the health benefits and then just suddenly ‘set off’ once their body finishes doing whatever it’s been doing internally. Also bear in mind that if your exercise regime is new then that will be having an affect on your body composition too and may affect your weight results for a while.

Good luck finding what works for you

Hi TracyJ
    Thank you so much for your response! I think the sweetners and diet drinks are doing more damage then good. I’ve been gymming since January and I can see my body shape changing. However I definitely think that my feast days need to be more monitored! Maybe just save the treats for the weekend would help! I’m going to continue for another month and see what happens.

Good plan & yes, if you started at the gym in January and have noticed a shape change then your body will be redistributing and changing its composition. That is one of 5:2’s little box of tricks too. It hits your visceral fat first if you have any and then goes for converting your fat to muscle. If you’re working out at the same time as taking up 5:2 then your ‘toning up’ may well cause you to maintain your current weight (or even gain a bit) until it reaches a tipping-point and then you’ll start to lose weight bigtime.

This is such a relief to hear! I feel much better about things now! I was thinking maybe it just wasn’t going to work for me and I wasn’t understanding it! Thank you so so much for the support and advice! Can I ask what progress you’ve made and how long you’ve been following the 5:2?

I started in the 2nd week of August 2012 (right after the documentary aired). I don’t know exactly what I weighed then (wasn’t expecting or hoping to lose much more than the ‘visceral fat’ I was worried about after seeing MM’s results) but it was probably around the 15 stone mark.

I first weighed myself 2 months in, after noticing that my waist band on my tightest trousers was a bit looser. I was down somewhere around 14-18lb at that point.

This last month I have severely upped my exercise and begun drinking Whey protein shakes after my swims to help me recover and tone, so it’s not the best month weigh-in wise but I have maintained last month’s weight, which was 11st 5lb. I expected to plateu for a couple of months when I made that change, so although it seems weird for me now, not to have lost anything from month to month, at least I know there’s a good reason and I expect it to pick up again in another month or so.

I started out a 16 on the bottom and 14-16 on top and am now 10-12 all over (but my bust hasn’t gone anywhere!!!). I’ve lost so gradually that my skin has coped really well, despite having form for being rubbish at keeping up with changes (stretch marks everywhere). I had been this size since mid-teens and have had to spend a lot of time in charity shops putting together a servicable ‘interim wardrobe’ as a rsult of this wholey unexpected weight-loss side-effect but I am very happy with the way it’s gone and don’t really mind if I never lose another lb as long as I can maintain where I am 🙂

Good luck on your journey

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.