Acid Reflex

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Shadow 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• I have been following the 5:2 diet for about 8 weeks and for the last 4 I have been suffering from a strange sensation in my throat when I drink, bizarrely not when I eat, and I have just started have an unpleasant taste in my mouth all the time whether I am eating or not. I have been to see the doctor who said I have acid reflux and prescribed some antacid medication for 4 week. When I did some research on the net two articles mentioned that this can be caused by fasting, irregular eating, dehydration and a number of other causes. Since I started this fast my diet has been irregular because I have been fitting it n between holidays and weekends away so I have got to say I am probably not doing it correctly. I try to fast on a Monday and usually Thursday. I have also been away in Portugal and got heatstroke so was definitely dehydrated. Has anyone else found this to be a problem and do others keep to a strict schedule. Any comments would be much appreciated. I have got to say that it has been brilliant for losing weight!

I’ve been doing this for 4 weeks and have found my reflux has improved. I’m on prescribed meds for it. Keep drinking as much water as you can and don’t eat before bed

Shadow i’ve never heard of a relation between acid reflux and fasting before, or with irregular eating or dehydration. I can’t even understand how that would work.

AR is often a result of overeating and certain types of foods.

I wonder if you should get checked out by a dentist in case its gum disease. I had a bad taste in my month for a period at one time, went and got it sorted out by a peridentist. (I can’t remember the right words). I didn’t have to have the expensive treatment to resolve it but if your gum disease is bad, you will. The taste is caused by bacteria flourishing in places you can’t get at (pockets in your gum) when cleaning your teeth. It was a taste of something rotten.

What does your flavour taste like?

Since all that, i’ve been using an electric toothbrush and haven’t had any further problems. I always used to floss even before.

And also try the yoga thing of using a tongue scraper. I’ve never tried that

I have gone on several fairly long water fasts, and find the dry mouth metallic taste a problem, my solution was to sip a small amount of fruit juice, rinse my mouth and spit it out (swallowing would be fine) I have a problem with acid reflux normally, but never when fasting.

Regards Stuart

Thank you all for your comments they are much appreciated. I will definitely try your tip Stuart. Pattience – I have got a check up with dentist in a fortnight as gum disease could be a distinct possibility. I do use an electric toothbrush.
    I will also make sure i drink plenty of water and see what happens. It is too good a diet to give up at first hurdle.

Hi Shadow,
    I suffer from Acid Reflux and after a lot of research, I found out that in many cases it can be caused by a bacteria. If not in your mouth, then in your tummy. If the dentist gives you the OK, you might ask your doctor to run a blood test to check for bacteria.

Thanks for that information cateyes that is very interesting. I am on medication from the doctor for 4 weeks and will be going back after that and will mention it. Dentist is next week!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.