6 month report from the U.S.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Personal stories
6 month report from the U.S.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ljc1011 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Been a IF convert for just under 6 months now. I simply LOVE this lifestyle approach. To me, its not a diet, its a permanent change in eating focus. Benefits in that time include:

– weight loss of nearly 30 pounds (199 to 170.5).
    – BMI of 24.5 (normal is 18.5 to 24.9)
    – cholesterol numbers stunned my doctor
    Total=174 (goal <200)
    LDL=85 (goal <135)
    HDL=78 (goal >40)
    Triglycerides=54 (goal <150)
    Blood sugar=86 (goal <100)
    – wearing a size 33 jeans (previously 38)
    – improved memory (noticed by work colleagues who noted how I remember names of people we meet briefly; something I was HORRIBLE at before).

I never thought I’d see these stats again at age 48. But I feel better than I have in a long long time. The great part is that my lifestyle is not normally conducive to healthy habits. I travel a ton for work, exercise only perodically (e.g., walking the dog when I’m not on the road), sleep 6 hours a night (if I’m lucky) and spend whatever free time I have with my family since I’m so frequently out of town for business.

The fast days are easy (even on the road) once I got into the habit. I still occasionally succumb to “pig out” days where I overeat (e.g., bbq party or pizza/beers with the work buddies), but I know that if I throw in an extra fast day and focus on eating normally the rest of the time, I can get back on course.

I plan on keeping at the 5:2 pace until I get into the 165 weight range. From there I’ll switch to maintenance mode (6:1). For folks thinking about this, don’t listen to the haters out there (e.g., NHS website or NYMag article from last April). This diet has worked for me – and I tried prior diets (Atkins, South Beach, etc.). Again, I see this as a lifestyle modification that I plan to follow for life – not like the other temporary “diets.”

Great to hear about your successes, FastJim! I have to say I was really excited by the prospect of improved memory when I started the plan but sadly I’m not seeing the benefits yet – my memory has gone scarily downhill since I hit 40 and it hasn’t shown any signs of recovery yet! I can still live (and fast) in hope… 😉

StephB – I think its different for everyone. I’m not entirely positive if the memory thing is due to the FastDiet or memory tricks I’m also learning. Unlike objective criteria like weight, cholesterol levels and pant sizes, memory is inherently subjective. I like that I think its improved! Not saying it will work for all. My original goal was weight loss. I’m thrilled that IF has led to other benefits as well (real and perceived!).

Stick with it! There are plenty of other reasons for following this diet/lifestyle shift.

Hi FastJim, thanks for sharing your great results, long may they continue! xx

Glad to hear. Especially as you are managing to fit it into your lifestyle.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.