5;2 on Methotrexate

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  CymraesSB 9 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Hi, I only started my 5;2 on Thursday, quite enthusiastically did Thursday and Friday back to back! Not intended but I note am no longer hungry day after ‘fast’ day so I am like oh let’s get on with it! I regularly take my weekly mtrxt on Friday after supper. Having read in the book about possible benefits of fasting pre chemo, for cancer patients, i imagined shall i do it prior to mtrxt day then? So I did. Usually 2-3 days afterwards I am full of mouth ulcers. I do not know if its coincidence but my mouth is superb this week!considering the dose has even been increased, this is new. I even did a fast day yesterday! Any one else with similar experience/ideas?

Hi I am also on methotrexate I take 8 tabs on a Sat morning. My fast days are Mon/Thurs, RA isn’t to severe, but it will be interesting to see if this diet helps the pain in my wrists. Any info from other R A sufferers welcome.

Am also on Methotrexate 20mg weekly and am hoping this diet will help. Am one of the lucky ones though as I know my aches and pains are mild compared to some RA sufferers.Recently more probs with my knees so am sure the weight doesn’t help so am determined to do something about it this time.Am only on Day 3 but feeling very positive……read the book…..so now will see bow it goes !!

Hi Jennifer4 and wotagalsal, glad there is someone else out there who has similar challenges. Taking 22.5mgs weekly just now of mtrxt on a friday. So far stating my second week tomorrow of 5;2. I do need to loose weight as my worst joints is my knees just recovering from a flare that involved the elbows and fingers,so walking is an uphill task just now. Usually quite active i am still in fulltime employment and go to gym 2-3 times a week, unfortunately with this flare been on steroids as well so may be having some water retention. Not checked my at yet. I will in the morning.
    Always bn overweight tried exercising lost few kilos but ‘plateaud’ hopefully this diet helps. fasting tomorrow.

Hi folks, I too am on Methatrexate 10 mg (Wednesday nights) at the moment and 8 mg steroids (plus loads of other stuff!) I think the idea is that they increase the Meth and reduce the steroids which I have been on for 20 years now so will be difficult. I have Systemic Lupus. hubby and I started the 5.2 on 6th January 2013 and we have both lost one and a half stones each. I am hoping that reducing weight will help joints. Our fast days (or “Jam tomorrow days” as we call them 🙂 are Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Lovely and encouraging jellybeanz that one can loose weight on steroids with the 5;2 diet. Am encouraged. I was rather concerned to have been started on steroids when my knees are so violent I really need to loose at least a stone! I am doing Mondays and Thursdays today went quite well.

I didn’t think that I would lose much on the steroids but it can be done. We know that reducing weight will help joints and progress can be slow but I just accept this as a way of life now. I could speed things up even more if I was more disciplined on non-fast days. Exercise would help too. I was doing Zumba 2/3 times a week and dog walking too until a bad flare 18 months ago. Hoping to reduce steroids when they increase the Methatrexate. Keep the faith guys – onwards and downwards 🙂

Hi all, I too am on Methotrexate ( 20mgs on a monday evening) for my RA. I started the 5.2 back in March and am pleased to tell you that I have had no bad reactions, even fasting on a Methotrexate day ! I’ve lost 1.5 stone ! I have now stopped losing on the scales but i’m not worried cos i’m still losing in my measurements and friends and family comments are still flowing. My R.A seems much better too, my energy levels are good, My blood pressure has come down and frankly I feel amazing ! I am the lightest i’ve been since my teens. Good luck folks, stick with it ! x

Well done Cydney 🙂 are you on steroids and Hydroxychloroquin too? I find a tendency to comfort eat on non-fast days especially when body is painful. I am really pleased that it’s so doable, I just need to watch my non fasting days a bit better. July is a month of family celebrations so will really apply myself in August. I am very disciplined on fast days so I should be more controlled on the other days.

Wow, Cydney so encouraging, I need to loose almost 2 stones and am encouraged especially coz 1) am barely a yr and half into methotrexate and am already on 22.5mgs and I guess that’s coz of my derranged inflammatory markers and flares and 2) with the flares the weight is absolutely not helping.I had started loosing some weight last year but got stuck. However, I am now convinced its doable.
    Thanks so much everyone for the encouragement let’s stick with it!!
    I will keep you posted of my week 2 progress.

Hi everyone. I hope we are all keeping well. Just to say 2 weeks in no exercise much as my flare is just about settling. However I am 1.5kgs down! Am liking this!

Been on 17.5mgs of methotrexate for a couple of years, trying to control my RA (which seems to be working!) Started 5:2 back in April – being closely monitored by nurse – loss so far 25lb! 🙂 No significant RA flare ups, have halved the number of NSAIDs I take too. Have fasted on a Mx day and not, doesn’t seem to make much difference. Feel so much better – joints hurt less (RA mostly affects my feet, ankles & knees) and I’m able to exercise more. Thanks to all for posting – found it really helpful.

I’ve now been on 5:2 for over two years and (with a few breaks for holidays/Christmas etc) I have lost over 40lb. More significantly for me, I have been able to reduce my methotrexate by a quarter (to 15mg), and halved my anti-inflamatory meds. Feel so much better, able to exercise more – feel like I can fight the RA so much more – like I’ve taken some control back in some small way 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.