5:2 does not work any more – I am gaining weight

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
5:2 does not work any more – I am gaining weight

This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  marielaem 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• I started the 5:2 in January 2013 for the health benefits and to lose 9lbs. I lost 17 in 7 months and maintained for about 10 months, when I noticed that I was gaining weight.

Despite sticking to the 5:2 – and sometimes 4:3 – I am almost back to the weight I was in January 2013. I don’t drink, I walk for at least an hour a day and go to the gym a minimum of twice a week.

I really thought that the 5:2 had set me up for life – I don’t plan to give it up, but getting fatter is having an adverse effect on how I feel about myself.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Hi marie:

If you did 5:2 and lost weight, you know it works.

If you are now gaining weight, you are not doing 5:2. That is because if you eat 500 cal. or less two days a week, and your TDEE or less five days a week, you cannot gain weight.

Your ‘problem’ is quite common. People lose weight but then start eating more than they were eating and start gaining. By definition you are eating more than your TDEE on average – that is the only way you could be gaining weight. Count calories for a few diet and non diet days and you will get an idea of how many calories you are eating. As that number of calories is causing you to gain weight, if you eat less then you should stop your weight gain. Your exercise won’t help you lose weight.

The less you eat, the more you lose.

Good Luck!

It can also depend if you combined it with low carb, higher fat, as I’m doing. The risk is that if or when you step up the carbs again you don’t lower the fat, and the combo puts the weight back. That’s why the low carb diets all have maintenance phases, but some don’t spell it out. So just check what you’re eating on the other five days as combinations as well as calories below TDEE.

I’ve been logging my calories on MFP every day since January 2013. I went to see a nutritionist a few weeks ago and got criticism for not eating enough carbs – she checked my MFP log.

Marie,

Nutritionists don’t necessarily provide good advice I’m afraid, but you’re quite at liberty to start eating more carbs and see what happens!

What do you think your weight would be doing if you weren’t doing 5:2? Decreasing? Maintaining? Increasing?

Reading back over your historic posts, the problem began when you quit smoking. So it isn’t 5:2, it’s you! If you didn’t increase your intake at that time then it seems stopping smoking affected your metabolism. You now need to eat less than you did when you were smoking.

It isn’t clear if you’ve reduced your calories on non-fast days or if you’re doing exactly what you did in 2013. But I’m afraid you probably have to face the fact that you are just consuming more calories than your body needs.

If your gain happened only since you quit smoking you are dealing with another issue as well as normal consumption issues. Nicotine, by smoking, vaping, nasal or oral spray, nicotine gum or transdermal patch can increase the metabolic rate. Nicotine use also acts as an active appetite suppressant.

Also when you quit smoking you replace smoking with eating. So 3 times the charm and it’s easy to gain 40 pounds in the first 6 months after smoking cessation. I did that and then some plus ##. (I won’t embarrass myself with the number it’s BIG)

The solution is simple eat less, fast more, and make sure you recalculate your TDEE repeatedly or set your TDEE for your goal weight and stay within it.

The fact is that the only way to lose weight is to consume less energy than you expend. The reverse is also true to gain weight consume more energy than you expend. Gaining is easy we’re all good at that it seems. It’s consuming less that we’re not so good at.

Consume less lose more. Caloric restriction through fasting is probably the easiest to achieve. 5:2 isn’t fast, it isn’t expensive, it does work; as long as you eat less than your actual current TDEE on NFDs and consume less than 25% of your TDEE on FDs you will lose weight. I highly recommend that your fast days be zero caloric intake days. Water only. 5:2 has to be individualized if it isn’t you will fall back into habits that aren’t conducive to weight loss or good health.

Really recommend the book, The Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor. Lots of science (clinical unbiased studies)…. Hormonal balance is key, quality of food so important.

Marielaem, all carbs are not created equal. White bread v. vegetables. Fruit juice v. fresh fruit. What kind of carbs have you increased?

I don’t eat bread or drink fruit juice. I introduced wholewheat couscous and rough oatcakes for a few weeks. Otherwise, carbs are in vegetable form.

When I gave up cigarettes I switched to vaping, not food.

Hi Marielaem
    Sorry you are gaining weight despite all the hard work.
    The current research is that if you reduce your calories your metabolism slows down however if you fast your body will speed up its metabolism again. So what may have happened to you is your metabolism has slowed down now you are eating less over the long term. If you google Dr Fung MD you can get all the science but in a nutshell I think he is advocating that you don’t eat anything but just drink water for 16 hours or more twice a week and this will improve your metabolism. Anyway have a look at his website. All the best

OK so something has happened since you quite smoking. There are a few possibilities. Your metabolism has actually slowed down. I suppose this might be possible. You have changed your eating patterns. Be it different foods groups or portion size. Regardless of what is causing it you need to address it. What you are doing isn’t working so try something slightly different. I don’t think that wholewheat couscous and rough oatcakes would be doing you any favours. Wheat is wheat, its a simple carb that will spike your blood glucose. Ditch it. Get the carbs and fibre from green vegetables.

Ive been in maintenance since March but still do 6:1 and its a water fast. before that it was 5:2 and they were water fasts. Perhaps try a water fast for your FD. Do you think you could do it? Give it a try and see what happens.

I am new to 5:2 and so cannot really speak much from experience with it. However, I am not new to dieting per-se and one area you might want to look at is how you had achieved your weight loss in the past.

While dieting, people very often focus on overall weight lost, and not so much as to whether the weight that was lost, was muscle, fat, or both. Ideally, we should be focusing on losing fat and not losing muscle. Certainly, having more muscle mass contributes to having both a higher TDEE and BMR – which then could potentially mean a higher margin for error of calories consumed on FDs.

This is why in addition to fasting, we still need to remember the value of exercise. Even if we don’t intend to ‘bulk-up’ on muscle mass, we should at least try to retain the amount of muscle we already have.

Therefore, it is highly recommended that one invest in a quality electronic scale, that not only measures fat %, but also muscle and bone % as well. This will enable you to have an objective means of determining what kind of weight loss one is experiencing.

In theory, if one is only losing fat, then one should see fat % go down, and bone and muscle % either go up or stay the same.

Any thoughts?

As as add-on to my post yesterday, it might be worthwhile ready this thread within the forum as well: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/muscle-mass-loss-with-adf/

Is muscle mass really an issue? Seeing as it does affect both TDEE and BMR, I think so.

Not only is it an aesthetic issue, it is one that has clinical relevance.

Many thanks for your help. I have an electronic scale which measures fat % and gives BMI but not bone and muscle %. I will check out the link that you posted.

I have ditched the advice given by the nutritionist and have gone back to getting carbs from veg. I am now going to Google Dr Fung.

Take care xx

Fung is a real eye opener. I ended up buying the book

Yes, if you search him on Youtube you can find his instructional lectures, very informative. I also bought the book, but found his lectures better because of the easy to understand speaking format in addition to visuals. Someone told me he has another book coming out in October on Fasting…wish I could have an advance copy!

I have ordered the book, which should be arriving today. I will check out the lectures on YT, too. I have also taken a look at the Diet Doctor website, which features him.
    Thank you so much for your help.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply.