'5:2 diet could increase risk of diabetes'

This topic contains 18 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  patilpooja 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

• What are we to make of this, https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/diets-fasting-52-diabetes-risk-increase-side-effects-weight-loss-health-a8361266.html widely reported this weekend?

(Please tell me it’s not true!)

This is very frightening, especially since I am returning to 5:2 today after an eight month break, and this is the first post I read!

I notice that the study mentioned the every other day diet type of fasting, not 5:2. I will have to go back and read this again.

Please, if anyone has any input, give it now! This is really scary, as diabetes runs in my family, and I have signs of pre-diabetes.

I always thought fasting was GOOD for diabetes.

I read the study that was linked, and this is definitely talking about fasting every other day. Further, we don’t know what the mice actually ate or didn’t eat on their fasting/eating days. Personally, I know will be resuming 5:2 eating a low glycemic load plan, similar to Dr. Mosley’s Mediterranean diet recommendations, only I’m limiting grains much more than his recommendations, so at this point I’m not too concerned. Also, his 8 week pattern of 800 lower carb calories REVERSED diabetes, so there’s a lot we aren’t being told about this new study.

I am going to search for specifics about this study. What did the mice eat on their eating days? Typical mouse food or something else? There are too many variables we just don’t know about.

If anyone has further info, please post!

I often measure my blood glucose while fasting and it is typically low. Even on non-fast days it runs lower than it used to. It seems that fasting has cured my pre-diabetes.

Well unless you are a female rat being given an artificial diet I wouldn’t be too concerned.

Dr Mosley has replied in the following article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5748093/Extreme-fasting-didnt-suit-rats-new-5-2-diets-good-says-doctor-Michael-Mosley.html

When I read the articles about the rat study I thought “what are they not reporting about the study?” As usual there is always more to alarmist media reports. I am happy with Dr Mosleys’ reply to the article and intend to continue with the 5:2 plan as it is working for me.

Without know details about the actual study it is pretty hard to really judge. There have been many studies on fasting that show reductions in insulin resistance. I think we shouldn’t worry too much yet.

Charliemil, thank you so much for that link. I really appreciate it. I agree with Dr. Mosley, there is too much about the study that is vague, and I do believe 5:2 is the healthiest option I have right now, particularly combined with low carb Mediterranean. Thanks again Charlie.

Also, the media is very fickle as the same website posted this just back in December

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fasting-diets-smarter-intelligence-national-institute-aging-maryland-bethesda-a8110446.html

I feel better after I fast. I’ve done water fasts before…the longest was 11 days..Water only and I really did and still do..feel my thinking is not groggy and in fact I feel clearer of mind. I wonder if articles against any type of fasting are quick attempts at helping certain types of processed food companies and medical manufacturers not wanting to lose ‘customers’… that would be a terrible accusation but it does make one wonder … especially when we feel so much better with our bodies doing this protocol

The study was undertaken using normal male laboratory rats ie in good health and not overweight. It was a three month study with no long term follow up.

The conclusion is full of words such as could and might which means there is no proof whatsover one way or the other.

I’ve read a lot of medical research papers and the small amount that I know about this one has more holes than a string vest!

What I really want to know is how many overweight rats there are in the world who are considering IF as a weight loss method…………

Thank you all so much. Your replies really made me feel very optimistic about returning to 5:2.

Amazon, your last paragraph was too funny!

Vicki Violet, the same thought about processed food companies and big Pharma occurred to me as well.

I agree. I’d like to know who sponsored that study.

I followed up the link to the research in the article, and it doesn’t link to research, but to a press release that also, misleadingly, has 5:2 in the title.

Googling found two further articles about the paper:
    https://newatlas.com/intermittent-fasting-causes-diabetes-debate/54685/

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-05-intermittent-fasting-diets-diabetes.html

Since it is an outlier study (it goes against what other research has shown) and that there have now been people doing 5:2 for many years without developing diabetes, it makes sense to not worry about it, apart from wishing the researchers well in following up why the rats in the study developed these diabetes indications.

Hi:

When I saw the paper was unpublished and not peer reviewed I stopped thinking about what it said. I might start thinking about it again if it ever clears those two hurdles.

It is very strange that so much is being written about an unpublished study. There are a lot of vested interest against fasting since fasting is basically free. I’m kind of surprised that some company hasn’t tried to force fasting to be licensed. 😀

Hi! Michael has written a bit more about the study here, too. ☺️

Well, that’s the claim. But where is the evidence? I mean, who are you, and what qualifications do you have for pronouncing on the matter?

parijatak,

Fasting is nothing knew. Our ancestors were forced to fast when they couldn’t catch anything to eat and there were no berries or roots to eat. People have practiced fasting for religious and/or spiritual reasons for thousands of years and millions of people across the world are doing it right now as it is the holy month of Ramadan.
    There is no evidence to suggest that Muslims or any other regular fasters have a higher prevalence of pancreatic issues or diabetes than any other section of the population at large.

If you want to lower your risk of developing diabetes, it’s best to choose whole foods whenever possible, including whole grains. Research shows that diets rich in whole grains reduce diabetes risk, while those rich in refined carbohydrates increase risk.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply.