5:2 and high blood pressure

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Berkshire40m 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• I am very fit (heavy exercise 4-5 times per week), eat well and have a normal BMI (24). Despite all this I still have high blood pressure that standard medications dont seem to be able to impact.
    I dont want to much weight (maybe 1-2 kg) and was wondering whether the 5:2 diet might help reduce my blood pressure or are there any other ideas out there.

Thanks

Hi Stuart,

A big part of why I started 5:2 was concerns about hypertension. I was on meds but my numbers didn’t move from 145/90+ and in fact we’re heading higher. I started doing 5:2 on Feb 6, 2017 and in 4 weeks my numbers were back in the normal range without using meds. I check a few times per week and I am now steady at 115-120/65-70. The 5:2 has helped me drop weight and I am not such a sugar binger now (another factor for trying this) so it’s been a very positive experience for me. Hope this is helpful.

Hi,

There are numerous causes for hypertension and whatever has caused yours will determine whether fasting can help. The only person who can answer your question is someone who has knowledge of your medical history ie your GP.

Hi,

I can tell you that my blood pressure dropped to normal levels after a couple of months on the fast diet and has stayed there. My BP previously was consistently considered high so I’m very pleased with the results. Be warned though that there have been posts on here saying that their BP skyrocketed due to the diet so it’s probably wise to keep monitoring for a month before starting the diet and constantly thoughout the diet to be safe.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.