31 Day January 2017 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
31 Day January 2017 Challenge

This topic contains 2,437 replies, has 150 voices, and was last updated by  Fuvvie 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,701 through 1,750 (of 2,440 total)

• Day 20,Canada, FD

Cboz wow whataday!! Impressed with your ability to “keep the fast” with all that stress. Will draw strength from your example and stay strong next time some stressor,usually minor compared to what you went through, throws me off my FD. Hope the bank returns your $ and dad is none the worse for his adventure.

Whoosh! This morning 3 lbs down on the scale which hasn’t moved in over a week. Yay😃

Will aim for another FD today as 2 dinner parties this weekend.

Day 20 — NFD – New York, USA.

Weighed today and am squeaking by under 160 at 158.8. this is a huge barrier for me mentally (every ten pound mark, my weight loss stalls — happens whether it’s 140, 150, or 160.

Very interesting.

So getting it to be below 160 (an almost 6 pound weight loss from last Thanksgiving, when I jotted somewhere that I was 165.4), although honestly when I started 5:2 I was closer to 164 or so. Funny how even one pound can feel so important. But as we all know, the devil is in the details.

Rode Wednesday (today is Friday but Thursday was so busy I couldn’t breathe, I swear) and ended up with extremely painful lower back (did a lot of sitting trot at the beginning). Went to chiropractor and he worked his magic. I need to do more to strengthen my back, so I will be adding more yoga and some gentle stretching/strengthening for my back and for my balance.

I feel good again, knowing that this is actually HAPPENING for me. Tremendous relief to know I have found a way I can actually do successfully, and that I can sustain. What a valuable resource this is and that all of you are.

Meanwhile, in other news, I can smell skunk.

Day 20, NYC, NFD – yesterday’s fast day went reasonably well. I had salmon and salad for lunch and then a hard boiled egg after an early theatre date with hubby. I think I burned a thousand calories just jumping up and down in my seat during Hamilton.

Scale is moving back down. Just a shade under 122.

Update…hour 64 fasting…I want my mommy.

Day 20 The last two days I have intended to do a fast day and made it until dinner time, did fine at dinner, but succumbed to snacking on chips later on. Both days I was feeling sad about an interaction that occurred before I got home, and I know that is why I ate. I’m not sure how to change that. I had been doing better until that Thursday interaction. I know I shouldn’t allow my emotions to drive my eating, but that is always what takes me down.

Day 20, Gozo, Malta, NFD

Babysitting till 8.00 pm today. Cooked and ate chicken and mushrooms pies. I’ll eat light this evening to stay within y TDEE.

Good evening / night / day everyone.

Day 20 / Sweden / NFD

Day 20 SW WA USA FD

Doing well on day 2 of B2B. I like how I feel on FDs. Who would have thought!

Laddie10 – you may be surprised on getting the bones quite readily. I have a local Produce store that has a wonderful meat section. When I asked for bones for a bone broth, they recommended their bones cut in 2 1/2 in pieces in order to access the marrow more readily. They had 2 lb bags of bones. I was surprised that knew exactly what I needed.

PamelaV – congrats on getting below 160! Oh & good to know your senses are working well 🙂

Day 21 – Queensland – NFD

Have been away from the forum for a while. I had a very busy week last week at a conference. FD and NFD didn’t seem to be making any difference as the weight was not budging no matter what. For the record, days 12, 17 & 20 were fast days but, as I said, it didn’t seem to be making any difference. Until yesterday, it would seem, and I am happy to be back on track and working towards my goal. Today’s weight = 65.6kg. I think that was my goal for the month so I’ll be happy to at least maintain it until the end of the month. Obviously, it would be great to get down to 65 by the end of the month. So far, so good. Thanks for the support.

Day 21 NZ NFD Goodmorning everyone. If anyone had told me a few weeks ago that I could fast for 60 hours I would not have believed them but I’VE JUST DONE IT. The odd thing is I don’t really feel like eating, we are having guests for dinner tonight, they are vegetarians so I am making, onion tart, roast vege salad with chilli dressing, green salad and baby new potatoes, followed by lemon tart and fresh blueberries. Maybe I’ll see if I can last until then before I eat. Weight this morning is 81.5kg. Thrilled as the scales were stuck prior to this fast. Thanks for the support of the forum.

@pamie – what time should I arrive for dinner? Sounds divine. I have a nice bottle or two of Pinot Noir that would go nicely with your menu I think? And for dessert how about I bring an extra bottle of Cabernet? The blueberries would really appreciate a nice dry red – don’t ya think?

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your evening.

Day 20 – Cumbria UK – FD

Fasting since 1400hrs yesterday after a light lunch but definitely above 500cals (and no breakfast) – good day so far, water and tea with a dash of skimmed milk during the day and small salad tonight – hoping to carry on until tomorrow late morning, roughly 46hrs then have brunch out with the OH.

@happymargo – thank you for the link to bone broth – made for interesting reading
    @laddie10 – stay strong – just caught up with your earlier posts – WOW 64+hrs in! amazing mental strength – I’ll be hand holding with you to keep you going until your target tomorrow
    @Avarndee – well done on your FD
    @dykask – as others have suggested I agree that whilst travelling you might think about doing 16:8 days if you cannot fit in FDs, skip breakfast and have a light lunch or dinner depending on which one is easiest then you can maybe stay within or below your TDEE – minimise any chance of weight gain
    @reid – “A positive attitude will lead to positive results”
    @quebecoise – good to hear about the improvement with your back
    @fuvvie – sounds like your evening went well and best of all you stayed strong to your WOL P.S. you never lose your skills – great job with your dog
    @bert1802 – what a great positive attitude
    @cboz – well done you
    @pamie – amazing what you can achieve with the support of this group – a lot of us feel exactly like you – not hungry after an extended period of fasting – our bodies are really strange!!! I would also keep fasting until I felt hungry
    @pell – “you are stronger than you think”

Well done to those who have posted weight loss for the week @pamie, @keitii, @pamelav, @K- Lo, @In it to thin it, @marinermum and anyone else I may have missed
    Anyone struggling remember that this WOL works – you will get there too!
    Weigh in is tomorrow morning for me – as usual after my last FD of the week

Thinking of all the fasting pocketers – I joined you yesterday at 1400hrs and I have been holding hands with you all across the globe – together we can do this!

Aussie day’s 20-21 I lost another day woke up with brain fog tired all day I think all this stifling heat is getting to me last FD went well tho the scales didn’t agree added a kilo next FD Monday.Now to catch up on post’s .

Day 20 USA Hawaii NFD

Day 21 NFD – australia
    Good FD yesterday and not hungry this morning, will try to cotinue the fast til lunchtime before I break it.

peli – I’m an emotional eater too – I know how hard it can be. Don’t be too hard on yourself if you were good til the evening you would still have eaten a lot less than a normal emotional stress day so try and see it as a win. Thinking positive can work wonders. Good Luck

Day 21 – Sydney – NfD

Going to track cals today – haven’t done that in a few weeks!
    Did a weigh-in this morning. Landed at 80.9kg which is pretty stable, given that I’ve only done 1 proper fast day in the last 2-3 weeks. But I’m back home now and ready to commit and see scales and health improving!

Been so encouraged as I read through the posts seeing people’s high focus/commitment and also seeing people struggle with exactly the same things as me. Thanks guys!

Day 20 & 21 NFD
    Quick report as my husband has arrived for Ye weekend and we are off for a family day at the markets and out for brunch.
    cbos that’s terrible news about your bank I do hope hey get it sorted for you quickly. These are supposed to be places we trust and rely on, not good enough at all!
    Everyone else I’ll catch up on shortly. Have a great day all

Day 20 | FD | Bucks UK

Day 20. Sussex U.K.
    NFD.

Day 21 ? FD / NFD Country West Australia
    I DID IT !!!!! Finally managed a b2b, fasting since Wednesday and about to break my fast with DH for breakfast this morning ( Saturday). So I think it is 60 hours – from 7.00 pm Wednesday evening til 8.00 am Saturday.

Like you Laddie and others, I think the insulin resets the body because I don’t feel at all hungry so am going to see how long I can go.
    Woke with a slight headache but I am still going to try to keep under 500 calories today ( yesterday I actually managed on liquids all day after a nectarine and orange for breakfast)

So a big THANK YOU to all pocketeers and others on this forum who helped me make it.
    I made it to dinner last night and had bought a hot cooked chook ( chicken) and was looking forward to eating a small amount for dinner. I sat down with a cup of weak black tea and before eating I read all the posts I had missed.
    The support and journey of other pocketeers made me think I could last the distance. So chook went in to the fridge. Another weak black tea was consumed. I busied myself with washing, tidying, reading and an early bedtime ( I never really understood why other b2bers did that but now I see how helpful it is.)
    And TA DA!!! 60 hours of good fasting AND down 1.5 kgs since Wednesday morning.
    I know some of that will re-appear once I start eating but happy happy happy !🤗😄
    My DH has been calling me Skinny Minnie this morning which has made my day. He loves me no matter how big I was – well they do say love is blind but still…. it is good to be the lightest I have been in 5 years!!!!
    I am really motivated to keep going and that is why for me the FDs make me better on my NFDs.
    Since tracking milk in hot drinks I am drinking more weak black tea and having less milk in coffees and less coffee generally the past 2 days.
    @ peli the only way I do not snack is by keeping chips, chocolates and biscuits out of the house otherwise they quietly call to me too much
    @cboz – hope it all turns out OK. Well done on FD with all that stress
    @ pamelav congrats on downward trend
    @pamie – could you set a place for me too? I’m joining laddie at yours tonight. Dinner sounds amazing !!
    Go well all. You are the BEST group of people.🙂

Day 20 : Cheshire, UK : FD

Broke my liquid fast at 7.30 pm with a delicious fresh salmon salad totalling 493 calories. Total of 46 hours liquid fast – my personal best beating 40 hours. I will continue to increase my liquid fasts over time. I’m feeling really good and have lost the bloat that eating carbs gives me.

second post.
    Thinking and praying for our American friends today. Interesting times ahead.

Still day 20

Lilymartin, perhaps you were even closer to 72 hours. If I did the math right, a regular FD is 36 hours so if we do 2 days we’ve got 72, right?

Congrats. I’ve still got the evening left.

@laddie10 and @lilymartin. Dinners at 7pm, places are set and looking forward to the wine choice laddie. Lasted until lunchtime and broke my fast with a small bread roll and some corned beef and a fresh peach. Have a good weekend everyone.

Finished 3rd FD – b2b2b! 70 hours…

Hey, all you pocket fasters out there and all those that have cheered us on!! With all time zones considered we all made it to the finish line! I was hurting for certain at 65 hours but pushed on thanks to all those out there keeping us in their thoughts.

Way to go everyone! I celebrated with a slice of pizza and that was plenty for now.

I am keeping up with the entire groups’ posts – we are all still in this together good days and not so good – we are keeping up our promise to ourselves and how many people can say that?

I will check in tomorrow on an NFD!

Have a wonderful weekend one and all.

Day 20 – Canada – NFD

Aussie day 21 doing a FD today I only do two a week but been busy this morning and it’s nearly 2pm and i haven’t felt hungry so i will just go with it.

Day 20, Oceanside CA, NFD

Easy NFD after delightful dinner with family friends. Kept to FD protocol to dinner of chili and salad. 700 calories total. Enjoyed red wine to top off day.

I plan for light meals on NFD with just a small treat. In track for week.

Historic day in US with new president. Future is positive. So too with our Fast 5:2 commitment. January challenge only 10 more days.

Day 21 – Brisbane, Aus – NFD

…enjoying a little afternoon rain (after a hot, humid morning). Nothing overly exciting… it’s Saturday… progress is being made… good luck all.

Day 21 UK NFD

Hi guys, just got back from holiday, for those that remember me, my last post was 20th December.

So jumped right into the group again and been reading all your posts. Best motivation ever.

My scale says I am up 5lb from what I was start of December to today. Not good but we had Christmas and holiday so I have a reason but not an excuse, so now I’m back home it’s damage control time and I’m so glad to see the pocketeers are still going so I’m gonna jump on that band wagon when it comes round again.

Goal for the remainder of this month is to lose as much of the 5lb that I put on as I can. Got 10 days so some of that can go. Good news though I’m still down from when I first joined the group in November.

Good luck to everyone today, ❤️

Day 20: Pacific NW USA, hour 51 of a 60 hour b2b! About to go to bed after re-newing my courage to keep going by reading about my fellow pocketeers who have made it to the finish line. I won’t quit now, I see your arms out-stretched to grab me when I get close! (That is with mouth watering reading pamie’s menu – you’re killing me girl!)

AnneMarilyn – since I’m fastidiously counting hours until I plan to break my fast tomorrow I just wanted to clarify the math. You are correct, the total number of hours on a “regular” 1 day fast is 36 hours but if you add one more day and night (what we abbreviate as a b2b) and wait to break the fast the next morning you add another 24 hours to 36 and that equals 60 hours. Then if you go an additional day and don’t eat until dinner the 3rd day that’s when it equals 72 hours and what we lovingly refer to as a b2b2b. Is this right or are the ketones not reaching my brain??

CBoz – I am never complaining about my days again !

PamelaV – I am also looking for those elusive 150’s!

Laddie – you made me laugh, thanks! Glad you made it, I assume even without your Mommy?

HappyMargo – how did it go with your friend?

Pissupoosa – those devious food processors who add sugar to 75% of everything, gee!

LynzM – welcome back, you said you would return and you did!

Apace.
    Thanks Pamie – looking forward to a virtual dinner with you!

DAY 21 – Bucks UK – NFD

Day 21. Sussex U.K.
    FD.

Day 21 – Cumbria UK – NFD

Woke up feeling really refreshed this morning – nearly fully over that nasty cold I had.
    Weigh in this morning – down 1.6kg from last week – had a good week with B2B FDs on Monday and Tuesday and a 3rd extended FD starting Thursday 1400 ongoing until brunch today and kept to my TDEE on the other days, also no alcohol since Sunday – dropped below my original goal weight by just over 1kg

@lilymartin – well done you – it is amazing how knowing you have the other pocketeers available to you gives you that extra boost to keep going when you are struggling. Like you I never feel hungry on waking after either a FD or a B2B FDs – I think this is possibly due to the fact that on my NFD I often follow a 16:8 WOL sometimes a 18:6 but I never have breakfast first thing.
    @goldensun – Good job
    @laddie10 – great achievement – gives you such a great feeling
    Welcome back @lynzm, hope you had a fab time away – you will be back on the bandwagon before you know it – the pocketeers are always here!
    @back2thefuture – by the time you read this you will have made it to the finish line – holding hands across the globe does work!

A NFD weekend for me but I would hope to stay within my TDEE – Looking forward to going to see a recording of Sleeping Beauty from the Bolshoi tomorrow afternoon with some friends

Hope all our good work this week pays dividends on the scales this morning, special thoughts to the fasting pocketeers!
    If not then remember that “Even if you can’t physically see the changes in front of you, every single effort is changing your body from the inside. Never get discouraged.” We stay positive and learn what we could have done better and focus on the week ahead – stay strong and have a good weekend.

Day 21 Sunshine Coast Qld Australia FD 105.4kgs:

Coda, I measure with a Freestyle Optium Neo monitor. I prick my thumb or finger and then collect the drop of blood on a stick inserted in the monitor. Then it counts down for 10 seconds and a reading comes up. It’s supposed to be more accurate than checking urine which measures excess ketones. The range can be between .5 and 3.0 mmol/l when in the ketotic state. I’ve just checked it again and it is up to 1.6mmol/L. So it’s looking good for the moment. I think there are still 68-70 in the group who regularly check in, but not all of those are daily.

Coz, My heart goes out to you. We have had our accounts raided twice now, once 6 months after my husband had finished working in the Philippines and once while he was working in Nigeria but about to finish there. The ANZ bank in WA changed their policies after the Nigerian attempt. We were able to get the money back both times, but if there are any large amounts of money going out of our accounts now overseas, they freeze our accounts till they check with us that we have actually spent the money. Also, I was at the shops with my Mother-in-law and she was sitting on a bench while I popped into BigW. I came out to find she had got up and was headed off in the opposite direction looking for me. It gave me a real fright and I wasn’t able to leave her sitting on the bench after that. She is in care now so I don’t have that constant worry anymore. Scary.

LynzM, I have you on the list. Good to see you back.

The b2bers pocketeers have done extremely well. I really think this group is fantastically committed and supportive. Go team.

Pamie, I have to agree your meal sounds delicious. I’m salivating just thinking of it. Truly, this glass of soda water just doesn’t cut it. Think I’ll go and heat up some bone broth. I need a bit of real salt.

I listened to a 45 min interview with Dr Jason Fung on the Diet Doctor last night. Nothing I hadn’t heard before but really well worth listening to for the positive reinforcement and a good precision of his 6 lectures on the Aetiology of Obesity. I listened to two other interviews as well. All the help I can get is going to push me under that 100kgs. Focus, focus, focus.

Day 21 NFD Kent
    My birthday! Been manic with lots of pressure this week and completely fallen off the 5:2. I started so well. Only 3 weeks left to loose weight before my ski holiday so need to up my game. About to go for a run, then to yoga. I havent run all week and that really affects my mental health and my healthy eating motivation. Snacking after dinner, a few nights out and afternoon flapjack have been my downfall!!!

Pocket-w, I kept the faith and you are still on my spreadsheet. Good to see you back posting again. Try to come on daily and I’m sure it helps you to be more accountable to yourself, once you see it in writing Give the flapjacks the flick. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Hope you really enjoy it. You won’t be the first to go haywire after starting well and you won’t be the last. Good luck with reinventing your good intentions.

Well done AT. I’m so glad you are getting over your cold. You seem to have this maintenance lark licked.

Day 21 a crisp and sunny Belfast NFD
    Weekly weigh in 158lbs 👍
    Broke fast after 45 hours so immensely pleased with myself. I didn’t think I had the willpower, so a big thank you for all your support.
    Onwards and downwards!

Day 21 – Staffordshire, UK – NFD

Day 21 – St. Louis, MO USA – NFD

We did it one and all!!!! So happy to see the entries bright and early this fine Saturday morning. Well done!!! Yes – I made it. Even without my mommy! It was touch and go there though for a few hours. It was odd one minute I was feeling all confident and even said how it doesn’t get harder after day one but at hour 64 or something like that, my body was pissed off! I guess it finally realized I was seriously going to do 3 days. Then it passed and I floated into the 70+ hours. Had looked forward to a slice of pizza for 3 days. At first, I felt a little guilty to jump right into something like pizza but then I reminded myself that every Friday night for years I have had pizza! So what is wrong with a big ol’ slice after a 3 day fast for goodness sake! It was lovely.

Here’s a bit of good news to boot – I went to bed thinking about hiking today. I LOVE to hike although in Missouri it isn’t so much of a hike as it is a long walk in the woods without much in the way of hills, but the thing is I have been too down feeling low for some time to really get excited about it. But I woke at 5 a.m. this morning and once I finish catching up on the posts here I will be out the door headed to the woods!

I am down 7.4 lbs since Jan 1. It bounces around give or take a pound but I am pleased with the results and I can’t say I look back and feel like I have suffered during the process which is a very nice realization.

Have a great day everyone and STAY STRONG!

Day 21……Florida…… NFD

Well, it’s official, I gain a lb. and it was mainly all my fault. With the stressors of the week, I let them over see, what I was trying to do for my own person. I’ve got to find a way to do this in the good times and stressful times of my life…. That is what I plan on focusing on for the up coming week.

Today, is my Sat to work. I’m hoping to get caught up on a few things that I couldn’t do while training. I’m looking forward to my first day off with my husband in almost two weeks on Monday. We’re headed to the sponge docks in this beautiful little Greek community. We haven’t been there in a couple years, so it’s going to be an exciting day!

Coz….. sorry to hear about your troubles. I’ve had some friends that have had it happen, it is a crazy thing. People think they don’t have to work hard, they think they can just steal it.
    About 15 years ago, my husband and I paid off all our loans except the mortgage, credit cards and pulled all of our money out of the banks. We now only pay cash for everything. We did it because we were starting to find ourselves over our heads in the debt to income ratio and because one day, I would love to go off the grid for good. While, it was hard in the beginning to do this, I can say it was one of the best things, we’ve done. Now, I’m only telling this because of your troubles and because I think with technology it’s becoming harder and harder for the establishment to keep our money safe, but also give you an idea that a family can live successfully this way. Research it, maybe it could work for you too.

Well… off to work I go….. hi ho, hi ho

Cheers!

@lilimartin – it WAS an interesting day here in the states. It was too hard for me to watch. Dr Fung and others suggest that the best way to lower cortisol – the stress hormone – is to avoid stressful situations and stressful people as much as possible. I knew yesterday was going to be too much to participate in and tuned out as much as I could. Just 4 years to go…and I don’t mind saying on this forum it’s not so much the political views that upset me – it’s the man!!! 🙁

Day 21 – Tokyo Japan – NFD – 78.6kg

@lilymartin – Congrats on your 60 hour fast! I’m pretty sure that last 24 hours is really hard on the fat.

I’m happy my fast day is over this time. It was rough but I made it through it. Normally it isn’t that hard for me, I’m was just off my game.

My weight seems to be leveling out again. I seem to have a pattern where I lose a lot of weight for a couple of weeks and then I’m basically flat for 5 or 6 weeks. I have so much going on right now that I’m not going to worry about it. Last year this time I was at 94kg … so I can’t actually complain about that!

Day 21, Australia NFD

UK day 21 NFD ,will catch on posts tomorrow x

Georgia/USA/Day21/NFD: Gonna hit the gym this A.M. Feeling like getting in some major cardio. I’ve been taking a meditation class lately. Been very helpful to focus on being present and in the moment. Funny, it helps when I think about my food choice and what I’m putting into my body. Happy Weekend!

Day 21 Melbourne CD
    Congratulations to b2b2bers, hard work – well done you!

@cboz – so sorry to hear about your super-stressful day. You must be made of strong stuff. I hope the wretched bank does the right thing and restores your money, quick smart.

Day 21 USA (Illinois) NFD

Yesterday was so strange – did my 45 minute Silver Sneakers workout, but I was just so hungry all day. I didn’t really over eat by much TDEE wise, but was surprised how hungry I felt all day. I wonder if it had to do with eating Raisin Bran cereal for breakfast? I had to done that in ages, so am going to curtail calories significantly today although I am calling it a CD.

Need to read up on all your posts. This is a wonderfully active board! Yeah for everyone!

Onward and downward.

Day 20 (update) — Colorado, USA– Hmmm.

Well, didn’t quite make the full b2b. Made it 42 hours, then met up with my friend that I haven’t seen in a month. Ended up ordering lunch with her at a lovely local Chinese restaurant. With a glass of wine. Made careful selections & brought a good deal of it home in a take-away box.
    Still, def broke my FD streak at 42 hours, as it came to 688 calories.

I enjoyed the lunch & talking immensely!
    We were actually there for nearly 4 hours… We are planning a class/ presentation for our coworkers re: personal finance. Basic stuff re: easy savings ideas, how compound interest & 401k works, the “latte factor”, creating an emergency fund, etc. I’m a bit nervous as I am not a financial planner (I do have both my Business & Nursing Degrees), but everyone’s looking forward to it.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,701 through 1,750 (of 2,440 total)

You must be logged in to reply.