28 Day February 2017 Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
28 Day February 2017 Challenge

This topic contains 2,265 replies, has 136 voices, and was last updated by  TripleT 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,751 through 1,800 (of 2,266 total)

• Day 21, Dunsborough, West Aust, FD
    Not a lot to report except OH did his first FD today. Honestly I didn’t think he would do it so I’m very pleased he made the commitment and stuck to it. We travelled from Perth to Melbourne today, and there is wine, and a meal included in the fare. I took kale slaw salad with 2 boiled eggs and 1/2 an avocado for our meals instead of the Qantas food. It worked well and we sailed through.

Day 21 Maine NFD

Thank you @jojo58 – fabulous summary! List to live by in this WOL. Playing bowls – I’m assuming that’s what we call “bowling”? Bowling as in lanes, pins, bowling ball? (Not the “bowling” that my friends & I refer to when we meet at a Chinese restaurant for scorpion bowls!!)

@fatrabbit & @pashaw congratulations! Great weight loss, Attitude & Insight!

I struggled w/FD yesterday – first time it wasn’t easy for me. We ate late for us – around 7:30 – had bone broth at 5:00 & that took the edge off. Dinner was eggs & roasted cauliflower – all that did was make me ravenous!! But, I closed the kitchen & didn’t give in – had overdone it on Sunday, so afraid to take another bite. Also didn’t have time for walk. Ended up in bed at 11:00 – spent the nite having horrible dreams involving the orange leader of this country – horrible nightmares! But…

All was rewarded w/another 1 lb loss!!! Yay – finally below the 190’s – has been 10 years!! Just need to remain focused so 190’s forever stay in the rear view mirror! To paraphrase@AT quote last week – I’m proud of what I’ve accomplished & have faith I’ll continue!

Hubby stayed the same – not too happy, but not discouraged. He’s been helping a friend re-do his new store downtown – I swear he has lost & gained muscle. People are commenting on his weight loss…not mine, his!!

Thank you all & make it a great day!

Day 21 USA (Illinois) – NFD

Going to do my very best to make today fully CD. I have some leftovers I really want to eat up from my low-carb day.

My best to everyone — onward and downward.

Day 22 USA FD

SCS – impressed with your resolve in spite of hunger! I’ve had a FDs which were much tougher than the others but when you are able to stick it out what confidence it’s gives!! And of course your Orange leader did give me a chuckle this morning – thanks I needed that! It’s laugh, cry or hide in a bunker…

Hi All Day 21 FD (scales took a big jump as they do – in the wrong direction unfortunately)

So I will have to be very mindful to try and bring the scales to order.

Kept to my plan yesterday and had 363 accounted in mfp but the smell of garlic bread for the rest of the family was too much and had 3 small slices. I forgot to scan the bar code in so not sure how much damage was done – hoping if it brought me slightly over 500 it wouldn’t have been much.

Today was going for a liquid only but changed my mind a did a bircher muesli type thing which I have had for lunch. Came in at 351 so if I can keep to that until my lunch tomorrow I will count both days as a success.

Number one son is in Sydney at the moment and loving it – he posted he was in Manly and I thought I know that name. I am sure it has been mentioned on this site either where someone lives or has visited.

@fuvvie are you OK? You don’t seem quite your old self?

So you have got me curious about Kefir – is it pleasant to take? Is it difficult to make/store? Is one type better than another, is there a difference between getting grains for milk or water or does it matter? I’ll also read the link posted above and see if that makes my mind up to give it a go.

Hope everyone is feeling focused – would it help to write down why you started this WOE to remind yourself to keep on keeping on?

Day 21 – Staffordshire -FD(ish!!!)

Day 21, NFD, Rocky Mountains, US

Day 21 – USA – NFD

Thank you all for the answers to a few of my previous questions….I really look forward to sharing accountability with you in the months ahead!

@coda
    I think it is a great idea to put down why we started this WOL!
    I started because I am Fat!! Actually acknowledged this fact October 2016 and been doing 5:2 with varying degrees of weight loss success since November . Other health benefits more obvious at times and what keeps me going.
    Ciao for now.

Day 20, 21 NFD, USA
    Scales showed an even keel, so still down 4 pounds since Feb 1st. was hoping it would be more, BUT it “is that time of month,” a week before as a peri-menopausal woman so I’m thinking I’m holding on to some bloat (I can see it in my hands and face) which will eventually be released. Feeling in control again, so someone here motivated me with 8 days left in this challenge to “haul some serious fanny” at the end to reach my weight loss goal of 6 pounds for the month, so 2 to go and that shall give me motivation to move on to next month for another 5. my goal of staying in control and more mindful eating has partially been met; I’m thinking that gets easier as this month was breaking a long few years of sloppy eating, so may take another month to master that; Part of me keeps getting tempted to just wipe out all carbs and do Atkins again as that’s a “quickie,” that seems to work, but then I remind myself this is a WOL. There was a hysterical line in that Dom Deloise movie ions ago when he’s about to overeat at breakfast and Ann Bancroft says to him and makes him repeat, which he does in this sad, longing voice …”There will be more bread tomorrow.” I say that jokingly to my kids and hubby when we reach for seconds or thirds. “there will be more bread tomorrow.” we don’t have to eat it all today.
    How about it we all leave the challenge with one parting tip that helped each of us; that way we can provide motivation to others, as well as ourselves. Perhaps on our last day of logging in, we can include it on our posts. There have been so many sage tidbits I picked up here this month. Keep going — only one week left;

Day 21 – USA – NFD
    Second post – @fatrabbit, had to repost to congratulate you on your weight loss this month! You’re a brave woman to stop eating bread as you were making it homemade every day!!! Bread is one of my weaknesses….that and pasta (and good beer). I found a spinach and herb tortilla that is only 50 calories to use as a wrap for my morning omelette, and I’ve ditched the “everything” bagels, but a good piece of seeded rye or dark bread is something I find much more prefereable than candy, cake or cookies. I use the low carb pasta, as I find the regular stuff gives me palpitations and makes me sweat! I’d love to do ADF, but my OH cooks and has graciously gone along with me by not cooking on my FDs, but I think it might be a little too much to ask him to eat sandwiches every other day! He has no weight to lose!

Day 21 Canada NFD

Day 21|CD|Toronto
    Ok FD yesterday. My weight remains plateaued at 86.2 kg.
    @flourbaby: thank you!
    @coda and @ Lilymartin: Good question “Why I started this WOL.”
    I am learning this WOL to retain, improve and sustain good health. My 5:2 goals are realistic,and sustainable,weight and body fat reduction in the real world. Along with the 5:2 WOL I wish to retain and gain lean muscle mass as best I can using HIIT combined with weight training.
    So far my results are meager, compared to some, but I “trudge forward” making little changes and gaining greater resolve!

Looks like I am LindaSue again… haha…

Day 21, USA, Missouri Ozarks, FD

Hello all, everything is going fine, felt a little under the weather yesterday – EVERYBODY in this town (it seems) has a cold.

Was SO tired in the afternoon, ate some air popped popcorn, a protein bar and a Greek yogurt.

Ate some spaghetti with salsa and a salad for dinner, took a hot bath, made some hot lemon ginger tea and went to bed ! Fell asleep at 7:30 and slept straight through !

Feel better today, maybe a little hoarse but no fever or anything.

Today’s weight 147, Starting weight on 2/5 – 152, Goal Weight 145.

To your health, all.

Day 21 Ireland NFD
    Thanks for all the support. The people on this thread are truly amazing.

Day 21- Montreal – NFD

SCS- bowling as you describe is called 10 pin, knocking down skittles. Bowls(the game I play) is rolling balls slowly towards a small yellow jack, nearest gets points.
    It can be played on carpets indoors and on grass outside, I do both. I occasionally play 10 pin bowling too which I love.

Coda- look on utube and discover Kefir both water and milk versions. You can buy live grains on line from Happy Konbucha. If you have a friend in the same country they could give you some free. It needs to be looked after(5 mins per day) but will give you a live probiotic which tastes like slightly sour milk or flavoured water. More importantly it will improve you gut bacteria which will improve your immunity to deasease and your gut bacteria will process food more efficiently, less will go into fat stores. I love it!
    Drinking water Kefir as we chat.

I note that several of you are still eating bread and pasta. I would urge that you try ‘cloud bread’ and ‘zero noodles’- no carbs great foods.

I will definitely add my best tip next week. I suspect it will be about measuring waistline. This has led me to a ‘waistline decrease challenge) for March.

Day 21: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD

So much for giving up sugar and carbs just for today. HA!

My plan worked until I came home from work…ate my planned fish and veg lunch, followed it with Greek yogurt (unsweetened, full-fat) with berries and almonds mixed in. If I didn’t have such a sweet tooth this could be quite a nice tasty treat…but…
    By then I was rummaging around the fridge/food cupboards for that “something else”, even tho’ I was no longer hungry. You know the rest…

Fast-day tomorrow?

Day 21, Gozo, Malta, NFD

Have a great evening everyone

Days 17, 18, 19 and 20 – NFDs – Toronto
    Day 21 – FD – Toronto

We had a long weekend in Ontario and I was away visiting my sister and her family – hence the radio silence! Needless to say, it was a lovely weekend spending time with my button-nosed 15 month niece, but I also indulged in all sorts of delicious food and more sugar than I am used to – which has set my tummy and mood off a bit. I was looking forward to today’s FD by the end of the weekend. Last full week of February !

Day 21 FD Oman
    Busy today so FD is going ok.

Hi 2nd post

@lilymartin LOL! lets be honest that’s why most of us started this WOE.

@erikaa67 – I like it – ‘There will be more bread tomorrow’ – how many of us treat our nfds as if food is going out of fashion. How many of us started a ‘diet’ by eating all the stuff we deemed we would no longer be able to have – ever, ever again because to eat them would mean that ‘f’ word. But this is a way of life, so while you may not want them you can always have them if you wish. Also don’t worry we are only saying goodbye to February, there will be another challenge for March – in the pipeline as we speak.

@Ciren – I remember once on a previous thread putting the idea out – ok you want that something nice – well you have to earn it first. Up and down the stairs a few times or plank for 30 secs 3 times or 10 squats 3 times or …… you get the idea? You may even find after you have earned it you don’t want it.

@jojo wow cloud bread – never even heard of it before! I try to only eat low gi bread – Lidl do a really nice one (except when I am doing garlic bread with Spag Bol). Learn lots and lots on this thread!

So while I started this WOE (yes because I was fat) it is the health benefits as I get older I hope will sustain me into my old age. Our NHS is under such strain I owe it to myself to take as much responsibility as I can. I hope it does what it says on the tin and protects me from all sorts of nasties.

One of these days I will tell you the story of how I came back to this way of life and joined the forum. I won’t go into it now but I had dabbled a while with 5:2 when my niece lost lots of weight, I got the books and as I say dabbled although not with much success. Then a well meaning friend sent me a link they had seen which seemed like the answer for my desire to loose weight (remember the saying if it seems to good to be true etc). I really can’t believe I did what I did – it caused tears, shame and regret and I felt I had let my children down (those that knew about it). Luckily I came to my senses and I will tell you all sometime the rest of the story.

Aghhh don’t know what has happened – seem to have lost my post but luckily I copied it but won’t let me re post it – it was there one minute but when I went to edit it it disappeared!?

I went to add this little nugget I read:-
    What runs through your mind, what do you say to yourself. How you look at things, will determine your results in all your endeavours, including any efforts you make to become slim.

@fuvvie btw I finished ‘A man called Ove’ really enjoyed it and shed a little tear a few times. So what do you recommend next lol?

Hi 2nd post – sorry if this is a duplicate but I can’t see it.

@lilymartin LOL! lets be honest that’s why most of us started this WOE.

@erikaa67 – I like it – ‘There will be more bread tomorrow’ – how many of us treat our nfds as if food is going out of fashion. How many of us started a ‘diet’ by eating all the stuff we deemed we would no longer be able to have – ever, ever again because to eat them would mean that ‘f’ word. But this is a way of life, so while you may not want them you can always have them if you wish. Also don’t worry we are only saying goodbye to February, there will be another challenge for March – in the pipeline as we speak.

@Ciren – I remember once on a previous thread putting the idea out – ok you want that something nice – well you have to earn it first. Up and down the stairs a few times or plank for 30 secs 3 times or 10 squats 3 times or …… you get the idea? You may even find after you have earned it you don’t want it which is the whole idea lol

@jojo wow cloud bread – never even heard of it before! I try to only eat low gi bread – Lidl do a really nice one (except when I am doing garlic bread with Spag Bol). Learn lots and lots on this thread!

So while I started this WOE (yes because I was fat) it is the health benefits as I get older I hope will sustain me into my old age. Our NHS is under such strain I owe it to myself to take as much responsibility as I can. I hope it does what it says on the tin and protects me from all sorts of nasties.

One of these days I will tell you the story of how I came back to this way of life and joined the forum. I won’t go into it now but I had dabbled a while with 5:2 when my niece lost lots of weight, I got the books and as I say dabbled although not with much success. Then a well meaning friend sent me a link they had seen which seemed like the answer for my desire to loose weight (remember the saying if it seems to good to be true etc). I really can’t believe I did what I did – it caused tears, shame and regret and I felt I had let my children down (those that knew about it). Luckily I came to my senses and I will tell you all sometime the rest of the story.

Day 21 | NFD | UK

Day 22 MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA NFD ( rejig my system today)

Woke up this morning at 3.30am feeling bleah! Not a good start for weigh in day. Feeling, bloated, sluggish and uncomfortable. What would normally be a FD has turned into a rejig my system day. This morning I will cook a bowl of pasta, leave it to cool to increase the resistant starch and reheat it for dinner. I’ll make a cold sauce with lots of extra virgin olive oil, finely diced fresh tomatoes, spring onions and loads of basil, parsley and chives from my garden. I’ll follow it with a couple of prunes and a bowl of full fat greek yoghurt.

We are all so different. I’ve tried no carbs but feel much better when I include them in my diet. My go to carbs are brown rice, pasta, buckwheat, legumes and polenta. We buy a woodfired artisan sourdough bread. I love porridge but avoid eating carbs at breakfast. Breakfast makes me hungry so I avoid that too.

Luckily I don’t have a sweet tooth. It’s years since I’ve eaten cake or biscuits and months since I’ve eaten chocolate. My OH never eats sweet foods so they are not part of our grocery list. Salty foods on the otherhand are my downfall. I cannot keep salami, salty biscuits, crisps or too many cheeses in the house … and wine… I’ve been keeping it quiet but during this challenge I’ve reduced my drinking to the weekends. Not bad for a girl who’s consumption had crept up to over 1/2 a bottle nightly. Thank you fellow February travellers.

@jojo I’m working on improving gut health too. I’m a big fan of kefir, miso, sauerkraut, kimchi, eating resistant starch and boosting prebiotics and probiotics in my diet.

Why I started 5:2. I was 63, overweight and sluggish. My father had dementia and diebetes. My mother had a stroke. I started for the health benefits. Weight loss was the bonus.

I love the way 5:2 makes room for slipups and the added bonus of keeping me mentally active through research and study.

Onwards and downwards fellow travellers.

Day 21 uk

I thought I’d give 5.2 a rest for a while as I’m really struggling with low mood and the dismal weather!

I had hoped to maintain.

BUT a being away for half term it was scarry how easy it is to slip back into old eating habits – result you guessed weight gain!!

I did try to fast today but failed I just feel so hungry and feel the need for carbs and chocolate.

So tomorrow I will try again. I will post daily and read all your wonderful posts for help and encouragement!!

Day 18 : Cheshire, UK : CD/NFD
    Day 19 : Cheshire, UK : CD/NFD
    Day 20 : Cheshire, UK : CD/NFD
    Day 21 : Cheshire, UK : CD/NFD

It’s been a busy weekend and a busy Monday. I feel I’m on the wagon but being cautious not to fall off. I’ve been pretty mindful all weekend and Monday and today. My stomach is not bloated and whenever I’m tempted I just remind myself how awful I felt within myself and my body.

Although, I haven’t posted, I have been keeping up with your posts on my phone. Just have a page to catch up on this evening. I’ve said it before but I’m grateful for this forum and it gives me so much strength.

I maybe going away with my OH and his daughter sometime soon (hopefully) so that is an additional incentive to not sabotage my eating.

I’m up 1/2lb this month. I’m hoping that I can lose that in the next 7 days and maybe more.

Cheerio for now! 🙂

Cloud bread- check out bbcgoodfood, it’s eggs, cream cheese, cream of tartar and nigella seeds. 😋

I think it is really important to find foods you like to replace foods that are high sugar.

Day 21 – SW WA USA – NFD

Making this a 16:8

PahaW – is this your 1st month on 5:2? With your wonderful weightloss, where you were in your journey.
    Your loss is wonderful.

Day 20 – Cumbria UK – NFD
    Day 21 – FD (much needed!!)

Sorry I did not post yesterday but time just ran away from me – will try to catch up with the posts since I last posted this evening and hopefully this will give me some support to see my FD out safely. Thank you in advance to all.

@coda and @lilymartin – I agree that it is a great idea to put down why we started this WOL! Well I started this WOL because I was unhappy and overweight and was lacking in energy – I am very happy to say that after just over 1 year later- I’m sitting happily below my target weight and maintaining!! I’m full of energy and physically more active than I was and my health is good but best of all I’m loving my life!!

@back2thefuture – great to read your positive outcome – inspiring to any who are faltering at the moment.
    @lynzm – good loss so far and great planning to see you for the rest of the month – good luck
    @fatrabbit – amazing loss over 2 months – with regards to your struggles why don’t you try doing 16:8 days and have 2 meals and a snack in the 8 hours and remember healthy fats are not your enemy when it comes to getting in calories – good luck
    @granny2ten – well done on that 7lbs loss so far
    @Strawberriesandcream – I totally agree with you that this WOL is the best way I have found to lose weight and to keep it off – I’m in maintenance and still do 2 FDs a week which allows me not to worry what I eat on my NFDs – Unlike some I rather enjoy doing a liquid fast – I try to do one a week or every 2nd week and when I do my intake is lots of water and some cups of tea with a splash of skimmed milk and perhaps a miso soup i.e. taking in minimal calories for the fasting period. Like many others I have also reduced the amount of carbs in my diet but I’m not of the mindset to restrict what I eat too much but instead I have reduced my portion sizes to about half of what I used to eat!!!!! I enjoy a small slice of a nice cake once/twice a week and I also enjoy my wine way too much to give this up completely – we all find what works for us during this journey……..I’m with @lilymartin as per her post on Day 21
    @pashaw – great job on the weight loss – it is important to remember that the changes we make have to be sustainable for life – this is not a diet but a permanent WOL.
    @bert1802 – you are doing so well – how many pants does a girl need……..you always manage to make me laugh with your stories x Good to hear that your Mum is doing better – always a hard choice to make when our parents cannot cope safely at home on their own – I’m sure you and your sister will support each other and Mum will be happy with whatever you work out is best for her – Hugs x
    @onahealthyhigh – thank you for sharing your story – I’m only in my 3rd month of maintenance – your story inspires and I hope to still be following this WOL and maintaining after 1 year like you – WOW!
    @happymargo – you can do this – remember together we are stronger!
    @ciren2 – hope you did your Day 20 FD – stay strong
    @jarbia – For me – Retirement is definitely not the only benefit for being older – I was lucky enough to retire at 55 and I moved to Cumbria and started a new life away from my stressful working life and am thoroughly enjoying my retired life. Remember that all the experiences we had throughout our lives make us the person we are today – I weigh over 2 1/2 stones less than when I retired – I’m full of life and energy and have plenty of time to do all the things I enjoy in life and am also learning new things and experiencing new things all the time. I am glad that you agree that retirement gives you have the “chance at last to do the things one really enjoys”

@coda and @lynzm – I’m happy to take over the reins for March instead of April as planned – giving more time for ?@Curlytot to take on April – let me know xx

My thought for the day is “Look for something positive in each day, even if some days you have to look a little harder. Let the challenge make you strong.”

2nd post

@annemarilyn I started my first FD on 17th Jan, so 5 weeks ago today and down 15.2lb. I think I’m still experiencing some beginners luck. I am quite strict, but don’t feel deprived and love the feeling of control. I’ve planned to eat some pancakes on 28th and I’m also looking to do a couple of weeks at 6:1 in a month to give my body a bit of a shake up.

This is now my WOL, I’d been calorie counting and feeling deprived for 7 months and only lost 10lb before I found FD.

Why I started FD: I’d gained weight over about 15 years and even more due to undiagnosed hypothyroidism, but also health reasons. My late father was Type 2 Diabetic, and my elder brother has also recently been diagnosed.

To be blunt, I can’t risk not being well. I have 2 teenage children, one still in school, the other in uni, and I am carer to my husband who has an incurable brain tumour. Caring for my OH is very physical and I was struggling with bad knees and all the other problems carry the extra weight creates. Pushing a wheelchair and helping in/out of bed etc was getting increasingly difficult.

So, I know that as my husband deteriorates I will need more strength and energy, and I simply wouldn’t be able to cope if I did not lose the weight. Stressful – yes, frustrating – incredibly, motivating – absolutely!

Please don’t think of this as some ‘woe is me’ post. It’s not. It’s just my reasons for why I’m here. We all have our own stories.

Take care x

Day 21 Portugal NFD
    Not a great week so far but going for a FD tomorrow and Friday and possibly Sunday as well to make up for it. Life busy at minute and not getting time to read all posts. But it is great to log in and be accountable. I did a HIIT workout today and wow it was hard! Might try it again tomorrow. OH also did it and was sweating and struggling too and he’s fitter than me! Anyway at least the exercise has been happening this week, if not the fasting.

Day 21…..Florida…… very controlled day.

I seriously did not mean to do it. I promise that I accidentally fell into it but today ended up being an FD for me. I did it with out even thinking about it…. How in the heck does anyone accidentally fall into a FD? Well, leave it up to me… if there’s away, I’m always able to find it!

It was asked how did you end up on this WOL…… Here’s my story!
    I’m a youtube watcher and I also love U.K. television. I prefer that over American television. Anyways, I can remember if the program was a YouTube video or through one of the site I was U.K. Tv, but they ran Dr. Mosley documentary on IF and the 5:2 diet. Long story….. short I researched it, like what I saw and gave it a whirl.

My advice for anyone, I know it was supposed to be the last post of the month but anywho…..
    if you don’t once succeed, try, try again.
    You don’t normally not succeed with this WOL. So, your FD turned into a NFD, big deal there is always tomorrow. So, you only managed a 23:1, 16:8 or even a 12:10. Your still doing this WOL. No matter what form of this diet you decide on, it will be successful as long as tomorrow you try again!

Okay, well I’ve bored you enough!
    Cheerio!

Day 20 – New Zealand – FD
    Day 21 – New Zealand – NFD
    Day 22 – New Zealand – FD

Day 21 USA NFD (Day 22-23 FDs)

@coda Manly is on the north side of Sydney Harbor but it’s huge harbor. The family had dinner there one night. Has an Oceanside coast as well. A nice getaway.

Hello my 5:2 friends,
    Yes I’m back. I didn’t post recently because we were on the road. Today we arrived to our camping and got our things installed. Beautifull Temperature near the ocean in Florida.

I had the courage to fast today. A little bit ober my 500 calories budget but hey ! I’m on vacation ! So that’s
    Just great ! Last year Ingained 9 pounds during the trip. I don’t want to do the same this year. No way !

Next FD will be on Thursday.

Bye bye to you all. Hugs

Day 22 Tasmania Aus FD 64.5kgs

Why I started this WOL? To get a grip on my weight which I seemed to struggle to lose and then easily put back on. Really felt the need to get onto this now instead of later. I’m tall so wasn’t in the overweight category, but had an extra 10kgs which meant love handles and a bit extra everywhere which was really uncomfortable and heavy. None of my clothes were fitting and really wasn’t feeling great about myself. My goal with this is to lose the weight and more importantly keep it off. So when I finally lose that last 1.5kgs left it is going to be working out how to keep it off. Really keen also for the health benefits, trying to convince my parents to get onto it as think it will help them heaps. I really feel like the difference is that this is a WOL instead of a diet.

Day 22 – Tokyo, Japan – NFD 79.9kg

@lilymartin, I totally agree that counting calories is pretty much a waste of time. My reasons are probably different that most, but the end result is the same.

For me three are just certain foods that cause me to gain fat, at least visceral fat, the primary one being refined sugar. I think alcohol has the same effect on me too but I don’t generally drink and typically avoid alcohol. It really doesn’t have anything to do with calories, it is just what my body does with the food. With sugar it doesn’t even seem to just be sugar but the fact that it is additional sugar to the food. For example I don’t seem to put on weight from eating fruit, even dried fruit but it does cause me to fart. Fructose seems to be fine as long as it doesn’t go to my liver!

Refined sugar, even things like ice cream, too much starchy food and things like chips all tend to cause me to gain weight. On the other hand I seem to be able to eat as much fruit, vegetables, nuts and meat as I want. I’m sure that reducing the amount I eat would help with fat loss but eating more doesn’t seem to promote much fat gain. I sometimes eat more than 1000 kc/day of peanut butter and nuts, but with those foods my body seems to have a forgiving nature. The problem is that sometimes I just get tired of my slightly restrictive diet. For example right now I’ve not very interested in eating nuts.

It is kind of amazing how many modern foods that are simply just packed with sugar. Sometimes I find myself not having any choice when trying to find food to eat.

Day 21, Oceanside CA, FD

Up early to wave goodbye to the grandchildren and their parents for their day at Universial Studios Hollywood. DH and I headed out for our 3.6 mile walks along the Strand and the Pier before eating a light breakfast and heading out to golf. Lots of fresh air and a salad supper with 2 oz protein, walnuts and feta cheese topped with Balsemic vinegar and oil. About 700 calories for the day. Works for us.

Another CD tomorrow. FD’s have to fit into family visit. All good.

Day 22 – Perth AUS – FD

Day 22 Melbourne FD
    Congrats to all those going well, and for others, remember: ‘there is always tomorrow’ if you have had a less then perfect day or few.

@bert1802 glad to hear your sister is available until you can get there. You will together be able to make the right decision for your mum. I am interested to look into silverbotics as I don’t much care for drugs either. My go-to for all sorts of things is manuka honey (with a high active rating). I even took Medihoney wound dressings to my surgeon for her to use when I had a hysterectomy, as my GP recommended it and I don’t like the thought of the super-bugs that inhabit virtually all hospitals. She thought it was weird, but complied, and later asked me if I had any more for another patient. I keep a jar of 200+ in the cupboard for sore throats, colds and small wounds.

@coda great idea that we share why we started this WOL. My story is an echo of @loubelles Day 22: just on border of overweight BMI, about 10kg to lose, but have been struggling for last 4 years to get some sort of control, after having been okay for about the 10 years prior. I had developed a belly-fat-belly (it’s going down!!!) that was making me miserable, esp. when I would bend in half to start blow-drying my hair every 2nd day…. to see the big droopy chunk of fat… Just couldn’t get motivated to stay on any sensible eating plan for more than a couple of weeks. (lo-carb worked but not sustainable long-term as I would eventually give in to cravings for bread). As Lou Belles said – my goal is to lose the fat, but *most importantly*, to discover a WOE in which I could keep it off by eating sensibly, for the rest of my life.

My long term aim is close to yours, @onahealthyhigh – not to militantly cut out any food group, but to keep the culprits to seldom (bread/rice/pasta) and ‘very rare extra-special celebrations’ (sugar) – so that my focus is as you say – mostly on eating fresh healthy food, not too much, and not too often.

Day 22 Melbourne FD
    Congrats to all those going well, and for others, remember: ‘there is always tomorrow’ if you have had a less then perfect day or few.

@bert1802 glad to hear your sister is available until you can get there. You will together be able to make the right decision for your mum. I am interested to look into silverbotics as I don’t much care for drugs either. My go-to for all sorts of things is manuka honey (with a high active rating). I even took Medihoney wound dressings to my surgeon for her to use when I had a hysterectomy, as my GP recommended it and I don’t like the thought of the super-bugs that inhabit virtually all hospitals. She thought it was weird, but complied, and later asked me if I had any more for another patient. I keep a jar of 200+ in the cupboard for sore throats, colds and small wounds.

@coda great idea that we share why we started this WOL. My story is an echo of @loubelles Day 22: just on border of overweight BMI, about 10kg to lose, but have been struggling for last 4 years to get some sort of control, after having been okay for about the 10 years prior. I had developed a belly-fat-belly (it’s going down!!!) that was making me miserable, esp. when I would bend in half to start blow-drying my hair every 2nd day…. to see the big droopy chunk of fat… Just couldn’t get motivated to stay on any sensible eating plan for more than a couple of weeks. (lo-carb worked but not sustainable long-term as I would eventually give in to cravings for bread). As Lou Belles said – my goal is to lose the fat, but *most importantly*, to discover a WOE in which I could keep it off by eating sensibly, for the rest of my life.

My long term aim is close to yours, @onahealthyhigh – not to militantly cut out any food group, but to keep the culprits to seldom (bread/rice/pasta) and ‘very rare extra-special celebrations’ (sugar) – so that my focus is as you say – mostly on eating fresh healthy food, not too much, and not too often.

Day 22 Melbourne FD

2nd post
    @coda great idea that we share why we started this WOL.

My story is an echo of @loubelles Day 22: just on border of overweight BMI, about 10kg to lose, but have been struggling for last 4 years to get some sort of control, after having been okay for about the 10 years prior. I had developed a belly-fat-belly (it’s going down!!!) that was making me miserable, esp. when I would bend in half to start blow-drying my hair every 2nd day…. to see the big droopy chunk of fat… Just couldn’t get motivated to stay on any sensible eating plan for more than a couple of weeks.

(Lo-carb worked but not sustainable long-term as I would eventually give in to cravings for bread). As Lou Belles said – my goal is to lose the fat, but *most importantly*, to discover a WOE in which I could keep it off by eating sensibly, for the rest of my life.

Day 22 UK NFD

why of why so tired, why oh why scales going up – don’t bother to reply I know exactly why oh why! Pancakes, guess someone had pancake day early! Oops 🙊

@fatrabbit suggestions for ADfs to take the option away good idea might try that for March

@rocy65 good for u have a little break and get back on it! You might just need that to reset mind for a day.

@at thanks for offering to lead March that would be great if @curlytot doesn’t mind, as away at the start of e month and it’s very busy at the start with everyone registering.

@curlytot would that suit you? @at was going to do April, would April be good for you?

@at love the quote too.

@bert1802 NFD turned into a FD, oh poor you! You must get back straight on that wagon – ha ha, and Cheerio!!

Have a good day all!

Day 22 – Switzerland – NFD

Love all the positivity on here – you guys are great!

Day 22 Portugal FD

Checking in early today, had a quick read at a few posts. Trying to get my mind ready for this FD. Thanks for all helpful posts and just knowing others are following this Wol is inspiring. Hoping for a good day for everyone … fasting or not.

Day 22 Uk FD

I started this way of life in November because I had been gaining weight at an increasing rate despite having an overall healthy vegetarian diet and was horrified that my xxl trousers were so tight and that moving was getting harder and harder. I have a quite physical job and it was becoming clear to me that if I continued to gain weight I wouldn’t be able to do it for much longer. And there are lives depending on me – I run an animal sanctuary, I can’t just give up. Every other attempt I had made over the past twenty years had resulted in more weight gain as I just thought about food more and got hungrier and ate more not less. I had already given up sugar but it didn’t result in any weight loss as savoury food has always been more of a temptation for me. I know someone who has been hugely successful with 5/2. I had made a vague attempt before but it was before I gave up the sugar and I couldn’t get through the first day of trying to fast. I think I needed to gain that extra weight and see complete lack of function staring me in the face to gather sufficient motivation. This time I started strong and haven’t missed a fast day yet. It is just too important to fail at. Everything is at stake. The increased energy levels are so brilliant, better than the weight loss. The arthritis that was threatening to render my hands useless has retreated leaving me able to write again, and groom the animals properly, my fibromyalgia is less painful, the fatigue I was experiencing has drawn back, my anxiety has reduced and my thinking generally is clearer. Baggy clothes are just the icing on the cake, or should I say the chili powder on the beans.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,751 through 1,800 (of 2,266 total)

You must be logged in to reply.