2:5?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Dummerchen 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• anyone done 5 (or more ) fast days to kick start weight loss?
    Good idea?
    Bad idea?
    How long can you do it for without going into “starvation mode”??

Hi Allie:

It is hard enough for most people to get started doing 2 diet days a week. Five can be done, but it is quite hard for most people. Here are some tips to get started: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Your body goes into ‘starvation mode’ when it hits about 5% body fat – not a problem for most people starting a weight loss diet, so don’t worry about it.

Good Luck!

No, but good luck with it. Some weeks I have done every work day which is 4 days – not hard once you get into it really and it’s pretty effective at getting it done quickly (weight loss I mean, which was my main aim). If it doesn’t suit you could always change tactics after trying it. Let us know how you get on.

I think starvation mode would take at least 6 months or more, of every day severe calorie restriction (not intermittent fasting like this).

Hey there. Going to give this way a go beginning from today. Have been on and off fast diet for a while now but after a long summer break with the kids (& food and beer out a lot) the weight is creeping back on. Not so much creeping but speeding lol.

I’ve been wondering about doing a couple consecutive days myself, but I’m thinking that if I do, I will have a non-fasting short period of time mixed in with the fasting sessions.

For instance, what is working best for me is to have a solid breakfast and THEN begin my fast until the next day 24 hours from whatever time I ate. This works so well because I start out full and it isn’t until late afternoon that I feel any hunger pangs. I’ve been thinking I could do a few days in a row where I break the fast, have a good breakfast, and start again.

thanks for the replies!
    I did a week of what ended up being 1:6! I found it quite easy actually – just drank a lot of water or tea/coffee especially when feeling hungry!
    I’d say I managed also to stick to the 500/600 calories each day also.
    Went for a long walk on the beach on the 7th day and had fish and chips and a 99 ice-cream!!
    For the first week I lost 6lbs!
    Currently on day 5 of the second week and will just take the weekend as it comes – I actually find only eating once a day (the evening) with the occasional bite to eat for lunch (either a boiled egg or some fruit) really easy to do. If I have a small breakfast I find I’m VERY hungry then!

I’ll let you know how I get on with the second week on Monday. Got the “my fitness” app too which I find a great help to keep track of the calories!
    good luck all!
    Allie

Hey there. Well done, that’s brilliant. I’m on day 5 now of trying out 2:5. Found it relatively easy, a few points where willpower was a little tested. I’ve lost 7 pounds already. I have something like a muller light at lunch with an alpen light bar and then a healthy dinner sticking to the 600 calories. Hope week two goes well for you.

So week two I did 2:5, lost another 2lb (so over half a stone in 2weeks!)

The 5 days of fasting was fine- managed to keep to my TDEE on Sat, but had a bit of a wash-out yesterday- mainly from alcohol though!!

Think I will do alternative fasting this week as although it is easy to fast during the week at work, I think it is slightly disheartening to “only” lose 2lb after a week of fasting…. But then again, its the best weigth loss I’ve had for a while!!

Well done Ian BTW!!

Hi Allie:

I guess a way for you to figure out how good your weight loss is would be to take your TDEE, multiply it by 7 (days in a week) and divide by 3500 (calories in a pound). That will tell you how much you would lose if you did not eat any food for a whole week. Every calorie that you eat will reduce that potential weight loss.

If you read #4 on this post, you can do the numbers yourself: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi,

I was looking for someone with a similar plan, and you are the closest I found. I have been doing 1:6 for the last 3 months. Out of 6 days, 5 are not 600 cal but more of 700-800 cal. and 1 day is about 300 cal. I do low carb on fast days.

I absolutely feast on sundays. About 4000-4500 calories. No restrictions at all. On monday, I only eat about 300 cal. Then from tuesday to saturday, I do about 700-800 cal per day. Trust me, when you do low carb, even those 700 cal have to be forced fed. I take 1 multivitamin (Nutrilite) each day.

I have lost in total about 21kg in 3 months. Very rapid weight lost initially. Then it stablised to 1kg/week. If I reduce the sunday binge, I am sure it would be faster but I am ok with it.

It has been really easy. It is nothing as difficult as I imagined it to be. It has become natural to me now. Just the thought of sunday keeps me going for the whole week. My weight increases by 2 kg by sunday evening (due to water retention by carbs) and those 2 kg are gone by monday night.

I work out 2 days a week (tuesday and saturday). About 20 minutes of cardio and some strength training. Not much. But I hoping it would help preserve my muscle mass. I’ve added weights about every 3 weeks. So I am definitely gaining strength and not losing. I plan to add another day of exercise when my weight-loss slows. Surprisingly, my protein intake is very low. Not more than 45g from tuesday to saturday, and about 15g on monday. Sunday protein intake is higher but I am totally vegetarian on sundays.

Absolutely no problems relating to energy, concentration etc. No physically visible problems. I had my bloodwork before I started. I’m gonna have it again in a couple of months. I am still about 15 kg away from my target weight. After reaching the target weight, I plan to continue a 5:2, closely monitoring my weight to find the optimal calorie intake.

Sorry kikkuram, you need to stop this. Such a low intake is unhealthy because you are not getting sufficient micronutrients in your diet and will lack protein. Your one day of junk food will not counteract such an unhealthy eating pattern.

Very low calorie intake combined with excessive exercising as you describe it has “eating disorder” in big red letters written all over.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.