22, 5'3 and 10 stone – help needed please!! :D

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
22, 5'3 and 10 stone – help needed please!! :D

This topic contains 59 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Keleighx3 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 60 total)

• Hi Guys,

I am hoping to pick some of your brains! I am 22 years old 5’3 and currently weigh 10 stone. I am on my second week of Fasting now and my third fast day today. I only want to loose around 10lbs but notice that a lot of the forums are based around people with a lot more weight to lose. Just hoping someone is on a similar path to me and whether the 5:2 diet will help me get down to my target weight?

Thank you lovely people in advance!

Keleigh

Cant see why 5:2 wouldn’t work for you. Avoid grain based foods like bread, pasta rice, pizza and starchy vegetables like potatoes. Eat up to your TDEE on non fast days and up to 1/4 of TDEE on fast days. Don’t eat “health” cereals as they are crap. Don’t drink fruit juice or eat dried fruits, only eat whole fruits. Avoid sugary drinks like the plague.

Hi bigbooty,

Thank you! I’m hoping it would work, I just don’t see many people with less than a stone to lose so wondering if it is working just as well for those who do? I’m really active and a keen boxer training almost every day so I am hoping this will help shift at least 7lbs before my holiday at the end of August. I don’t really eat carbs or starchy food as it is, only really oats in the morning and maybe sweet potato with my dinner! How are you getting on?

Keleighhx3,

Intermittent fasting works, whatever your weight, although generally the leaner you are to be begin, the slower the rate of loss you can expect.

I initially aimed to lose 19lbs, but ended up losing nearer 30. I’m now about 9st4 and have been for over two years. I still lose weight if I fast.

Hey Happynow! That’s great to hear, well done on your weight loss that’s amazing! What was your weight loss roughly? We sound similar sort of weights so would be ideal to know how much you were losing each week. Im sticking to 5:2 at the moment and eating around 1400 calories on my normal days, but they are all clean eating days. Any tips at all?

Keleigh… I started at 130-131 lbs in March. I am just under 5′ 2″. I am now 120, and would like to lose another 2-3 as a “margin of error.” You will definitely lose weight, and 1400 calories sounds right — but as HappyNow says, make sure they are NOT carb calories. In addition to 5:2, you might want to read Dr. Jason Fung’s book The Obesity Code. The science behind fasting and insulin’s role in fat storage is very interesting reading.

Hi K-Lo, oh wow you’ve managed to shift quite a lot of weight in a short period of time then? Maybe it’s only as i have been doing it two weeks i haven’t stepped on the scales as yet so will let you know how i get on on Sunday. I don’t tend to eat carbs really, a average day is as follows:-

Breakfast- scrambled egg on a warbuton thin OR porridge with fruit.

Lunch – chicken salad (sometimes in a pitta bread), chicken and veg or an omelette with a yoghurt.

Dinner – Usually a meat dish with vegetables and sometimes sweet potato.

Snacks – fruit and protein bars if feeling peckish.

So not normally heavy carb days. Thank you for your story though, goes to show that i CAN do it at my weight. Maybe i just need to be more patient.

Keleigh – I’d recommend you start adding up the carbs in:

porridge
    sandwich thins
    fruit
    pita
    sweet potato
    more fruit

In weight loss mode, you may be consuming more non-vegetable carbs than you want.

Hi Keleigh,

I went from 202 to 158 pounds over about a year, so 44 pound loss. 5’10” male. Ive been doing 6:1 maintenance since March. I ride once or twice a week. You can do training on fast days, just don’t expect to do any PBs. With time (training) you can get up to about 80-85% of what you can normally do on a non fast day. Even on 6:1 I sometimes have to eat more than I want as my weight slowly edges down. Cant see why 5:2 wont work for you.

I second what K-lo has said. Read the ingredients on those protein bars. Most of them are just crap. Nothing more than a chocolate bar with some whey protein (whey protein is really quite a poor protein) thrown in. One protein bar I looked at was 55% sugar!! An advertising con. Nothing more than a chocolate bar at a premium price.

Hi Keleigh, I’m about the same as you. 5″3, 10st 5lb but a few years older 🙄. I’ve done fasting before a few years ago and I lost just under a stone. I started at about 10.4 and got down to 9.5 quiet easily. It was a reasonable 2-3 pound a week ( fasting two days a week). I kept it off for quite some time but I’ve crept back up unfortunately. I didn’t eat anything on my days off as I’m a picker so it was better if I didn’t have anything other than green tea/ coffee and loads of water. My non fast days I stayed within 1200-1300 calories but had an ocassional sludge day at the weekend. Nothing too strict. Hopefully I’ll be able to do the same. I thought it was quite easy after the first few times. I actually felt great on my fasting days. More energy, no sluggishness and definately a difference in my complexion. Hopefully you’ll feel the same. I went training on my fasting days aswell and felt fine.

K-Lo – so do you mean you think i need to be eating more carbs rather than vegetables then? Sorry having a blonde moment!

Bigbooty thank yo for the confidence boost! And well done on your weight loss thats incredible! How are you finding it to maintain? Yeah well i get in hill sprints, a long run, boxing class and a gym session in during the week and try and fast on the days my training is low intensity.

Do you think a target of 7lbs by 20th august is dooable?

Hi Keleigh, I’m about the same as you. 5″3, 10st 5lb but a few years older 🙄. I’ve done fasting before a few years ago and I lost just under a stone. I started at about 10.4 and got down to 9.5 quiet easily. It was a reasonable 2-3 pound a week ( fasting two days a week). I kept it off for quite some time but I’ve crept back up unfortunately. I didn’t eat anything on my days off as I’m a picker so it was better if I didn’t have anything other than green tea/ coffee and loads of water. My non fast days I stayed within 1200-1300 calories but had an ocassional splurge day at the weekend. Nothing too strict. I thought it was quite easy after the first few times. I actually felt great on my fasting days. More energy, no sluggishness and definately a difference in my complexion. Hopefully you’ll feel the same. I went training on my fasting days aswell and felt fine. I’m just about to start again. So fingers crossed I’ll be able to get back down. I’m currently 10.5 and hope to lose a stone.

Keleigh,

7 lbs in 5 weeks is do-able but tough, in my opinion. I also water fast, still do it while doing 6:1. Im not suggesting you do it but it is an option that some others do as well. I just find it easier to not eat anything. I also think it has major benefits/advantages to the way your body performs.

You might have to get rid of the snacks as you haven’t given yourself a lot of time to achieve the weight loss. Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get there.

Hey Kitbag, well done on losing your weight previously, I know how hard it is to keep it off. I wentdown to 9st 4lbs September last year but after an all inclusive holiday the weight slowly went back on and I went back up to 10.7 so have managed to slowly loose half a stone so far. Ideally I would like to get down to 9.3/4 again that’s my ideal weight. May I ask how long it was before you started to see results? I feel the same, I thought I would find fasting really tough –but I actually find it easier than anything I’ve done before. Be great to check in with each other and see how we go! Today I have had mushrooms on a sandwich thin, cuppa soup and a yoghurt for lunch with grapes and a protein shake for after training this evening! Good luck! 😀

Thanks bigbooty! only as i am going to Florida in August and i know it’s going to be incredibly hard to maintain my weight when i’m away over there. i am currently drinking about 4 liters of water a day along with 3/4 cups of green tea so maybe i am being inpatient.

Keleigh…just the opposite. Stick with protein, fats and veggies for now. You’re getting all the carbs your body needs from vegetables. The occasional piece of fruit for a treat is fine. Add up the carbs in the list I posted and see what you are currently having. Even a wonderfully nutritious sweet potato has 27 grams. Aim lower for now to kick start your weight loss. Lose the bread…for now. Lose the porridge….for now.

That would be my suggestion.

And why should it be hard to maintain your weight in Florida?

Ok K=Lo that sounds fab to me, i will definitely try and cut out those secret carbs And focus more on the protein and healthy fats. I just think it will be a struggle to maintain weight in Florida as it isn’t exactly the healthy capital of the world and I have a major sweet tooth and would like to be able to enjoy my holiday although I will be a lot more cautious of my food choices whilst away, may even try and get a HIIT workout in some mornings if it doesn’t annoy the rest of my party.

Keleigh…depends on where you go. You can always make healthy choices. I even lost weight in Mexico.

K-Lo is spot on with her advice. Maybe Im a weird sort of person but I don’t find it hard to say no to treats if its my fast day. No reason you cant do it while on holidays. The amount of times Ive just watched people eating birthday cake at work on a Monday (my fast day), Ive lost count. Some feel bad eating in front of me, some tease me saying YUMMMM, sure you don’t want some. All good fun.

I associate Florida with fresh fish.

K-Lo that is very true and i am going to try and make the best decisions possible but this is a holiday of a life time and i just do not want to be constantly worrying about my weight and my diet rather than enjoying the holiday 🙁

I do wonder why i ever let myself get big in the first place!

What part of the state will you be visiting?

Orlando, were doing all the theme parks and i cant wait!

I will definitely try and keep my fasting days as i think they will be easy as i will be out all day walking and drinking water so that shouldn’t be a problem! I am a lot more conscious of what passes my lips now than before!

Ah….the light bulb just went on. Yes, it is very hard to ignore temptation at the theme parks, but here are some ideas…

http://www.buildabettermousetrip.com/healthy-food-choices/

If it was anywhere else other than orlando and international drive i would be ok and be able to resist a few treats! But im thinking of upping my 5:2 to 4:3 for maybe two or three weeks before just to try and give myself some wriggle room to enjoy the treats every now and again!

I am weighing in for the first time on Sunday since fasting for two weeks with 4 fasting days so i will let you know how i get on. Website looks great, will have to have a look when im not at work! Thank you so much!

It’s been a long time since I visited Disney World. I recall the food being plentiful…and very expensive, but I don’t recall it being particularly good.

I’ve got day 2 fasting tomorrow and yesterday was surprisingly easy with a nice 6 mile run this morning!

How are all you lovlies this morning?

I started to see it the first week I started. I’ve never been much of an eater through the day so that bit was easy but it’s night time I tend to go wrong.I try not to have crap in the house as I’ll pick at it when bored or tired. But I eat quite quickly and end up over eating. The day after my first 24 hour fast I convinced myself I was starving and ate too much. I felt sick as a pig for hours after that so my non fast days just naturally tended to involve less food as well as I didn’t want to feel like that again. I drink quite a bit of water anyway but you’ll end up drinking more just to keep the fake hunger pangs at bay. This is my first fast today but I prefer not to have anything.I might go straight through to Saturday morning but I’ll probably have boiled egg and ham tomorrow. Once I’m back into the routine again I’m usually fine with just coffee, water and green tea on my fast days. I weighed myself this morning and I was 10.5. I felt great the last time and not just because I lost weight. So hoping it will be the same this time. Good luck and let us know how you’re getting on 👍🏻

Well this is my second week now and my second fast day of the week but I’m tempted to start doing 4:3 and just see how well that fits into my routine! You sound very similar to me, if it isn’t in the house then I can’t eat it! Since I starting training and fighting with my boxing I’ve always been conscious of what I eat anyway (apart from the occasional treat days) I think I would struggle on my fast days if I didn’t eat anything, so my fast day today consists of:

Breakfast: Warmed up apple in the microwave with cinnamon and a yoghurt.

Lunch: Sugar Free Jelly, a yoghurt, handful of blueberries and a cuppa soup.

Dinner: Sandwich thin with mushrooms and a protein shake.

I’ve got three more gym sessions before weigh in Sunday so keeping my fingers crossed!! I must admit these forums are SO motivating!

Ok so Sunday has come and the dreaded weigh in has come and after two weeks on fasting I have only lost 1lb 😩😩 gutted that it’s such a small loss with all my training but I’m determined to keep on going and see what happens. Think I’m going to try 4:3 this week and see if this makes any difference!

Ok i’m struggling now guys. Im training every day with a mixture of weights, HITT and cardio and ive lost 1lb in two weeks 🙁 starting to feel realyl demotivated a little bit ”whats the point anymore’

In need of a serious pick me up

Hi Keleighx3,

Sorry to hear you’re struggling. You might want to consider joining one of the already active/ popular threads for support.

Hi happynow, I would join them but i started this thread because people in the group were of a similar background and weight to me so i could try and get support from people on a similar journey.

everyone seems to have such quick and high weight loss and it doesn’t seem to be happening to me.

Have you tried going lower carb? Protein and veggies. Why a protein shake versus real food?

I’m just throwing ideas out.

You say you eat too fast. Have you tried meditation or hypnosis to try to break that habit? I have found that helpful….learning how to put the fork down between each bite, enjoying what Im eating.

Yeah i hardly eat carbs as it s K-Lo – i only ever have oats in the morning with a scoop of protein powder, chicken and veg for lunch and then dinner is normalyl an omelette, stir fry or chicken and veg again!

Don’t know what i’m doing wrong!

Like I said in my earlier post avoid grain based foods. Oats are grain based! Why protein shakes? The protein in those shakes are whey protein. Pure junk and will have your blood glucose spiking up. If you want protein have some almonds or walnuts or cheese or tofu. What is the sugar content of the yogurt? More than 5% throw it out. You want high fat low sugar yogurt.

What are you eating on your non fast days? Same applies, its just that you can eat up to your TDEE.

Normal days I have oats, fruit salad with greek yoghurt or scrambled eggs. Lunch is normally a salad/omelette and dinner is usually the same, protein based with vegetables. I very rarely eat carbs – and when I do it is straight after training to refuel my body. The sugar is low in the yoghurt, always by 0% or fat free greek yoghurt to thicken it out. I am training 6 days a week so I can’t cut out all carbs/grain based as I need to refuel.

Just worried that my holiday is very fast approaching and the beach whale look is Is looking more likely than the beach body look!

Usually fat free yogurt means that it is high in sugar. Read the label to see the % content. Is the fruit salad out of a can? Usually its in sugared water. Eat a whole piece of fruit instead. What sort of training is it? Aerobic or anaerobic weight training? Anaerobic would usually mean you’d be wanting protein more that carbs. Veggies = carbs, but theyre carbs locked in fibre which is a good thing. Just grasping at straws for you since you want to be seen on that beach.

Keleigh, you are not eating low carb. You are eating oats, you are eating 0% yogurt, you are eating fruit salad. You are simply NOT eating low carb. And yes, you can cut all the grains and fruit for now, and get all the carbs you need from green leafy vegetables.

And this is a general question for anyone. Does one need to “refuel” after a workout? Doesn’t that stop the body from burning the fuel that’s already on hand and we’re trying to lose?

Thank you bigbooty! The fruit salads are ones i make up myself and if i have trained in the morning it is usually banana’s and blueberries with yogurt, which is very low in sugar as i use MFP to monitor EVERYTHING on a daily basis to keep me in check.

In reply to K-Lo i have read the Lean in 15 books from top to bottom and personally yes, because i am training so much a lot of it weight heavy and HIIT workouts i do need to refuel because i need my energy stores. I only ever have oats in the morning with extra protein to keep my energy levels up during the day as my job is long hours! The last thing i need is to fatigue when i’m in the middle of a boxing ring!

Keleigh, clearly what you are currently doing is not getting you where you want to be and only you can decide what to change. Do the numbers and recognize you are not on a low carb plan.

Good luck.

I understand that K-Lo and recognise that every body is different and looses weight at different rates. But with the amount of training i do, i cannot afford to, and it would not be healthy to starve my body of slow releasing carbs which help my body refuel after training.

I train with a qualified sports nutritionist who does and eats the same as me and she looses weight – i think it is just a matter of our bodies being composed differently. i think it is just trial and error and seeing what works best for me.

Keleigh, that is my point exactly. BigBooty and I have been making suggestions about what changes you might try, but only you can make the change. I don’t know what a “qualified sports nutritionist” is but I’ve worked with enough trainers over my adult life to take every thing they say with a grain of salt. Again good luck.

Madness is when you do the exact same thing over and over and expect the results to somehow be different. Both KLo and I have been suggesting different options to try. Your diet is not low carb.

I would place bananas in the high sugar category, there is a reason they taste sweet. Stick to your more tart berry fruits. You mention slow release carbs?? What are they? No such naturally derived carbs exists!! I know of only one “slow release” carb and it is an artificially made product by UCAN. All carbs are released pretty fast and the excess is stored as glycogen and then fat. Your body needs the equivalent of 2 tablespoons of glucose circulating in your blood at any one time. The rest must be stored as glycogen or fat.

If your workouts are very strenuous and you have muscle strain then you probably need protein more than carbs after your workout. You don’t need to top up with carbs. That is counter productive to what you are trying to achieve. Your body will top up your glycogen stores (about 70% of what you would normally get by carb loading) overnight while you sleep by accessing stored fats. Your liver will get good at doing this but only if you don’t carb load after training. If you do that then your liver doesn’t have to do this and it becomes lazy. The process is called gluconeogenesis.

Like I said we are just offering you alternatives, its up to you to try them. Continue to do the same thing means you will get the same results.

Well you’ve lost 1lb in two weeks, so maybe it is working but your expectations of how much weight you can lose/ time are unrealistic!

You could wither practice patience, carry on as you are and see a gradual weight loss, or make changes as others suggest and see if that speeds things up. However, given that the average weight loss for women doing 5:2 is apparently less than 1lb/ week, and that you haven’t got very much to lose, I suspect patience is a virtue you may need to cultivate 😀

I think i’m going to give 4:3 a go and try switching my diet up and see what happens! any ideas and tips are always welcome! its a case of trial and error i think so thank you for your suggestions! 🙂

Yes, i think you’re right Happynow, i think its going to be a slow process as i do not have a lot to loose, only around 9/10lbs maximum so will have to be patient i think! Not one of my best traits i have to say!

Ok so today is my second fasting of the week and I normally find it really easy to fast and don’t even give it a second thought.. however after my 6 mile run this morning I am HUNGRY.. I have had an apple so far and I have a Quorn salad with jelly for my lunch.. trying to drink lots of squash and green tea to keep me full but I think today is going to be a struggle!

What is squash? I have a feeling we use a different word in the US

hi K-Lo it is juice that you add water too! 🙂

Ouch….Fruit juice is not a diet friendly beverage. Try switching to water or club soda for a week. It might make a difference.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply.