16:8

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• I continue to want to eat everything in site on my non fast days. I love the peacefulness I experience on the fast days and decided to try to do all my eating in an 8 hour period of each day — between 10:30 am and 6:30 pm. Fast days will still be 500 calories in that 8 hour time span.

I hope this works, as I am getting desperate getting this eating under control. My body and mind sure are at odds with each other.

I tried to find other posts about 16:8 eating, but the search feature doesn’t work well. Any suggestions of folks trying this would be welcome.

Hi:

I’m curious. Do you feel you will eat fewer calories than you have been by eating by eating only in an 8 hour period? If so, why?

Here’s some insights I have gained Amy C that you may find helpful.

Fasting has helped me to understand that hunger pangs do not signal an urgent need to eat (far from it), and they come and go, and this knowledge has meant I am eating less on my non-fast days too.

Hunger pangs can also be reduced by plenty of fluids. Hot drinks are especially effective for me.

Since starting 5:2 at the start of 2014 I have also implemented a personal rule that I don’t eat between meals. If I feel I have to eat then I will have some fruit. Nothing else. I find that is enough to satisfy any pangs. I think the “pangs” are frequently just a desire to stimulate my taste buds – so fruit is a great way of getting vitamins along with taste stimulation.

I conclude success with controlling eating is mainly about developing new, healthier and more beneficial habits.

I hope you find a regime that works for you and helps you to achieve your goals.

Good luck.

simcoeluv:

I am trying the 16:8 not to lose weight, but to gain control over my eating.

I have for some time noticed that in the evening hours, all I want to do is eat. I can’t seem to have just a little, once I start I go overboard. Perhaps this is similar to an alcoholic who knows he can’t print drink, but tries just one and then goes overboard. Because I have to eat, I have to find methods to control eating on the non fast days.

Once I started the 5:2 diet, I discovered I actually enjoy the Fast Days tremendously. There is a sense of control of the eat-everything-in-site demon that is refreshing and I wanted to extend this control to the non-fasting days. I am a little weary of counting calories and tracking what I eat. Perhaps I will get a sense of what my body wants to eat.

I am not so sure about pushing breakfast until 10:30 or 11:00 am, but it seemed to work for the one day I have tried it. I may go to a 12:12 eating plan or nothing beyond the scheduled meals.

nigeyb: Thank you for offering what works for you. I may try this eventually. It is good to have multiple tricks in the bag to pull out when something doesn’t work.

I also try to confine my eating to between mid day and around 7pm. This gives me a pleasingly long period of abstinence each day, and my digestion is settled in good time for bed time. I’m finding I eat much smaller portions since starting IF, so my eating is much more controlled than previously. (Prior to starting this I was eating similar amounts to my husband, who is a foot taller, male and much more active than me, no wonder I was piling it on!).
    I do two fasting days, back to back. I’ve given up alcohol, wheat and sugar, which I know are lethal for me, I count my calories every day including non fasting days to keep within my TDEE, and I’ve lost 9kg since new year. I’m sleeping really well and feel so much better in all respects, and full of energy. I’m convinced it’s doing me good.

New Woman –

9 kg since the beginning of the year! Very Good! You are indeed a new woman. I started the 5:2 on January 31 and have lost 5.6 kg.

I have issues with totally controlling myself — have never been able to do this with regards to eating. I am very disciplined in other areas of my life. so the concept is not foreign to me.

I completed one week of 16:8, but combined it with two fasting days. I didn’t find much value in it, as I continue to restrict my calories on the non fast days and just eat in-between 10:30 am and 6:30 pm. I find the day after the fast day to be a little challenging to wait for breakfast until 10:30. Also, the custom at work does not include eating breakfast at 10:30 — it kind of interferes with the meetings I always attend at that time.

In searching for what works for me, I have identified that I have compulsive eating tendencies — especially at night. Wow, the amount of food I can consume once the first bite is taken is impressive. Crackers – gone. Ice Cream – gone. Chips – gone. Pecans – gone.

I am going to restrict myself to no eating after dinner and before I go to bed.

There are so tips to give here about 3 square meals. It’s also very hard if other sneaky snackers are around. Snaking is a habit so when I’m dieting I break those habits before I start. Most habits can be broken after 7 serious attempts 😉
    Out of sight put of mind –
    Buy food each day at a time fresh.
    Have only healthy snacks in the pantry.
    Enjoy and be sated from you meals.
    Let others buy the junk food.

I could go on and on.
    I found success with what you are trying to do by ruling I may not have snacks. However I may have beverages. Though no better than snacking calorie wise , I was able to break sweet,salty, and crunchy habits. Over the years the more I try to switch to health food the more I find combinations more to likeing.

I gave up buying cases of soda 6 years ago.
    I tried to go with green tea, but I grind up a Lemon or an orange and have been happy with it ever since.
    Lately I’ve been looking into antioxidants and coming around to enjoying them in unsweetened tea. With a packet of stevia.
    Basically no snacking on high calories. I read somewhere that children usually need approx 30 attempts to add a new vegetable to their diet. I felt that way when I started putting things like whole blueberry in my water. Last years diet I found trying a CRON 19.5/4.5 so to get used to not eating i was basically cheating with fruits in my tea. That gave way to me enjoying fruits as snacks instead of grains. I’m much more comfortable this year eating only vegtables and beans on my fast days and snack on fruits on my feast days. Good luck!

Here’s an off site article on teas.
    http://www.self.com/health/2014/02/slim-down-stay-healthy-with-tea

If you can’t break a bad habit transform it into a good habit. 😉

An interesting article about Tea SAMM. Thanks!
    Amy C and New Woman – Well done on the weightloss that is brilliant! I drink a lot of herbal tea/fruit tea instead of snacking these days. I try to do this on non fasting days as well and I have given up finishing my children’s meals. It all helps! Keep going and good luck!

Amy, my husband is doing 16:8, and it’s working for him, but it never worked for me. In fact I gained weight after one month of doing it strictly.

I really feel 5:2 is best for me, after reading about all forms of fasting and trying it briefly once.

My husband doesn’t overeat like I do, so I think that’s why it’s working for him. It never controlled my appetite. In fact, for the short time I did 5:2 about a year ago, I found my appetite more controlled.

This time I’m taking The 2 Day Diet book’s advice (Dr. Harvie), and fasting two consecutive days a week with a bit more calories than Mosley recommends.

The best to all of us on this journey!

Hi Amy C. I have been doing 16:8 (ish) in combination with 5:2 for well over a year now. I started out on the 5:2 having a normal 3 meals on the other days but found that I had worse hunger pangs when I actually ate something than if I just treated it like a fastday and held off for as long as possible before breaking my fast on a non-fastday.

I’m not strict about it. If I have a work lunch I need to go to I do eat in the middle of the day and if I’m at a hotel that has breakfast included then I fill my boots as any tight Yorkshire lass should 😉 but usually I fast all day if I can and eat my ‘normal day’ calorie allowance for dinner & supper later on in the day.

As I said on another thread – it can be a bind getting the hunger genie back in his bottle once you’ve let him out and fed him and I find that this way works for me most of the time. I can definitely pack away the grub when I’m in the mood to though, so it’s not necessarily a ‘given’ that I won’t be able to overeat by doing this. I do still have to keep an eye on myself.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.