🍂 October Challenge 2023 🎃

This topic contains 208 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  metatauta 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 208 total)

• Day 23 – 2nd Post

@stitchsmith – welcome back! Putting you on the list. As @stitchincarol will tell you though – ‘luck’ & ‘hope’ have nothing to do with it. Just a bit of planning ahead, & plenty of RESOLVE. And maybe a pocket list…

Pocket List – Day 23 🎯
    @merry🍎
    @jaifaim
    @stitchsmith

Day 23, London, UK, FD

Morning all, I need to get a grip of the weekends and make sure I post, I’m falling into bad habits!!

@funshipfreddie, thanks for the info, I guess my evening soup on a FD tends to be veg or lentil based, and perhaps not as protein rich as it should be to keep me satisfied!!! Unfortunately I didn’t see your post until this morning , so tonight’s butternut squash soup might not be ideal!! I assume it was ‘squeaky bum time’ for a few of our SA friends the other night, my colleague reckons he’s aged 5 years or so!!! I agree, what a match!!!

@stitchincarol, I’ve been giving away lots of bits over the last few weeks. My mum was tiny all her life but could eat like a lumberjack!!! Carbs were her best friends so the house was full of biscuits, breads, pastries, donuts, crackers, crisps etc. etc. etc😩😩…………………..🤤🤤 Of course I ate some, but like you I know I’m not a bin, and I’m trying to keep this as my fasting mantra ………………… “Ensure that your goal outweighs your temptation “ Love the menu, wasted 5 minutes looking for a dessert menu I should NOT be looking at anyway!!🤣🤣

@daffodil2010, I was so excited at your mention of a BH!!! Now I’m back to full time, they actually mean something to me …………………. However……………………………..this will be an Irish only affair …………………….. Not happy😭😭!!!!

@funshipfreddie, clarification on the sweat thing required please!!! 👃🏽 🤭

@stitchsmith, welcome! Consistency is key, support and personal accountability go a long way too!!! I took my foot off the pedal for a few YEARS, so I’m proof that @at’s mantra is absolutely true!!! ………………………“If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”😭😭

Stay strong everyone, we’ve GOT this!!!!

Pocket List – Day 23 🎯
    @merry🍎
    @jaifaim
    @stitchsmith
    @flourbaby

Just edited my post to include the pocket list and it appeared in the December 2020 challenge!!?? Not sure how THAT happened nor how to remove it, so I just edited it to be a ?.
    😁

Day 23 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in 225 lbs. Well, thank goodness the FD is finally here!

Pocket List – Day 23 🎯
    @merry🍎
    @jaifaim
    @stitchsmith
    @flourbaby
    @northgeorgia

Day 23 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Dinner out with our friends was so glorious and restful and full of laughter yesterday; DH and I both really needed that break from all the commitments of late. And I was well behaved in what I ate; yes, I had pasta (the one with pheasant, @flourbaby), but only one piece of bread, no cocktail to begin (the other three all did) and just one-fourth of a bottle of wine (DH very carefully poured it to be precisely even 😂). Our waitress brought over a dessert menu, but I said no thank you and the others immediately agreed that was a good idea. So today, I’ll behave at the funeral luncheon and behave for supper, and tomorrow will be a WF–whew! 🤣

@merryapple Thanks for typing out the recipes! I chuckled at your comment about why use butter when you can so easily use suet? Well, in the States, suet is NOT easy. Several years ago, determined to use suet but completely unable to find any to buy, I rendered my own. It took several days, the house smelled for a week (stank, really), and I couldn’t discern any advantage. I’m now an avowed butter user. Nonetheless, I will add your recipes to my Christmas Cake recipes and will use one next year (I baked/steamed mine on Friday.)

Oh, and DS27 (the culinary-school trained one) says you steam a cake in order to get it evenly cooked through without overcooking the outside. Such a DUH and obvious answer.

Welcome back, @stitchsmith! Yeah, as @funshipfreddie mentioned, I pretty completely quashed the use of “hope” and “luck” when I hosted back in August 2022, realizing that using such words is nothing more than giving yourself an out if you don’t actually do whatever you’re “hoping” to do. Instead, I pointed out, if you make a promise to a friend, you’ll move heaven and earth to follow through on it, right? So make yourself a promise, and follow through with the same determination…and then no “luck” or “hope” is needed.

Okay, must get dressed and head out to put away yesterday’s worship music, and pull today’s funeral music. I do love playing the organ, but it’s the pulling and putting away of music that can get tedious! (I have about 9′ of music, if I were to stack it all on top of each other, so it’s no small task to keep it all tidy.)

Have a grand one, everyone!

Pocket List – Day 23 🎯
    @merry🍎
    @jaifaim
    @stitchsmith
    @flourbaby
    @northgeorgia

Day 23 country west Australia NFD 82.6 kgs
    Day 24 will also be a NFD.
    Long absence, life happened!!
    Went on unexpected hiking holiday mid September for a week. Ate healthily , walked kms, had a great time – came back exactly same weight as I went on holiday ( 82.4 kgs)🙄🥵 and with. healthy dose of Covid for the second time.
    Too many carbs, too much sugar, too little control, too little planning, NO accountability and here I am back again…

Day 24 NZ NFD 82.8kg

Have had a crazy time with all sorts going on including rugby… Those Springboks NEVER give up! One of our ex AB and Silver Ferns coach’s says he thinks tackles should only be waist high. It would help the flow of the game and be much safer. The players have bulked up so much with muscles now that they are much heavier than 20+ years ago and the game has become like an attrition of battering rams… The running game is much more attractive to watch as well.
    I pumped up the tyres and Mr Mac and I went bike riding to the dog park y’day. It is lovely weather at present – not too hot and not too cold.
    @ Stitchincarol I hate to tell you this after your valiant efforts but suet is beef fat from around the kidneys, which you obviously know. You can ask you local butcher for it and you just GRATE it you don’t need to render it like lard… Well worth it! It has a higher melting point than butter and withstands long cooking. Butter is a milk product… As to steamed puddings, a real favourite here is steamed ginger pudding with golden syrup and ginger plus pears at the base of the bowl. I slice barely ripe pears and place them around the outside edge of the bowl before pouring the batter in which looks great when turned out. Serve with custard and cream!!!!!
    @funshipfreddie Spooky fact… My grandmother was Barbara Roberts, named after her grandmother. My middle name is Barbara. I could never spell it as a child without having to sound it out and then Barbie came along. Not my favourite as a child. Too far right on the girly scale.
    Great you’re back in time for the November challenge @lilymartin! The dreaded COVID… Hope you recovered quickly. It’s almost time for another booster here but it is definitely circulating.

The countdown is on… 7 days to go…
    STEELY RESOLVE everyone!

Day 24 – Ireland – FD 🚫 🚶🏽‍♀️ 🌾

Hi all, a much needed FD – again … as yesterday didn’t work out as a FD – no “fail” right… today will be one.

I’m eating too much sugary stuff recently… my little green tick should come off my lead in text until I can get back on track…
    Thanks for fixing the list yesterday @funshipfreddie 👍

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Pocket list day 24
    @jaifaim

Day 24 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@lilymartin – welcome back!

@merryapple – or may I call you Babs? 😅 – names are a funny thing, how we feel about them, how we come to love or hate them. I’m quite fond of my name. Can’t imagine being called anything else. But I cringe if someone calls me ‘Dave’. My mother (Joan) always claimed to not have a middle name. Yet after she died I found her birth certificate, & she was christened ‘Joan Mary’.

@flourbaby – re the sweat FUF:- “Sweat doesn’t actually have a smell on its own. Your sweat glands secrete protein, which forms an odour when it is broken down by bacteria living on your skin. When they do this, they also produce waste products and it’s these waste products that cause the unpleasant smell. The reason the smell is usually stronger in your armpits, groin and feet is because those areas are usually hidden away from light, and they’re warmer and damper”. Yuck. Well, you did ask…😅
    from https://www.cbhs.com.au/mind-and-body/blog/the-link-between-body-odour-and-your-health-why-we-smell-and-what-it-means

The oldest person in the world, with NO health issues! – https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12663389/Scientists-studying-116-year-old-San-Francisco-born-grandma-oldest-woman-world-learn-secrets-develop-cures-diseases.html

I was all set to have a FD today. But I’ve changed my mind. It’s way too nice today, I have to go out & my local coffee shop is already beckoning me. Most people seem to find FDs more of a challenge when they’re at home, but for me it’s the other way around. But I’m RESOLVING to have three more FDs before the end of the Challenge

Today’s FUFs: Did you know…?

The tool used to measure your feet at the shoe store is called a “Brannock Device”.
    You produce about six pounds of stool per week
    The first Nerf ball package claimed the toy “can’t hurt babies or old people”.
    According to the Bible, the chicken came before the egg.

Day 24 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

Steely resolve, although I have a hunch it may come undone this evening as there is something we need to do and we often celebrate after 😄

@flourbaby so sorry of the BH reminder, and then it’s only for Ireland 😆 Ooops
    I for one am looking forward to it. I know I am only back from Holiday, but the shock of having to change work habits, WFH, and the super long list of priorities and work around means I sooooo need this long weekend.
    I laughed at you updating December 2020 picket list…..who was on it then?????

@merryapple that ginger pudding sounds delicious….on an FD even more.
    We have no problem getting suet from our local butcher, but he is an old style butchers shop and farmers from miles around come to him. I would have problems getting suet from our supermarket I would say.

Anyhoo, have a great day.

Day 24 – Leicester UK NFD

A successful first FD now I am back on the wagon……felt a bit hungry but nothing too bad and drinking water helped with the hunger pangs…… onwards and upwards (or should that be downwards!) I have a zumba class tonight which I really enjoy but have not been for a fee weeks due to a holiday and illness but I am looking forward to it…….

2nd Post – Day 24

@daffodil2010 – I checked! The only fasters on December 30th 2020 were: @northgeorgia, @basyjames, & a ‘perhaps FD800?’ from @stitchincarol. Unsurprisingly, there were no fasters on the 31st 😅

Pocket List – Day 24 🍓
    @jaifaim
    @daffodil2010

Day 24 – USA/GA – ZBC

Weigh-in: 222 lbs. Come on, 210s! Not planning on a FD today (thought tomorrow would yield better results for the week), but I’m not hungry this morning. I have a late night of work tonight. We shall see, but I’m thinking a light meal for lunch today then another day of fasting tomorrow.

Day 24 – Rural Nebraska, USA – WFD

Okay, yesterday was NOT well-behaved, neither at lunch nor at the rest of the day. On the other hand, it was my third funeral in eleven days, and I was exhausted, especially after three hours of helping the ladies who were serving. So I wanted a treat as compensation once I got home, and indulged myself in all sorts of snacky things (thankfully there was little in the house). Once again, however, I learned my lesson that treats never feel like treats when your gut wakes you up in the middle of the night…can you all identify with that? I’m shaking my head this morning that I never seem to learn my lesson, and mourning the lack of discipline; no idea where I’m going wrong that my promises to myself are not being kept. But today’s a new day, right?

@lilymartin Welcome back! We’ve frequently speculated what in the world happened to you, so we’re glad you’ve returned! How bad was your covid? Are you all recovered now?

@merryapple Hmmm…Okay, I had typed an answer, but just deleted everything I said because I texted chef son and asked him to remind me why I did what I did–and astonishingly, he’s already awake, so we’ve gone over the whole issue. First, his training makes him reluctant to use “raw” suet (not sure I’d also be reluctant, but I tend to follow his recommendations); second, most butchers in the States are not starting with whole cows, so they’re not encountering kidneys and the surrounding fat. Bottom line, I simply could not access it with any ease, and what I did find was wicked expensive, and so I used beef fat from a good butcher and rendered it. This is a prime example of how so many things can be duplicated from one country to another, but other things simply cannot be, or at least not with any ease.

@funshipfreddie Too funny about your mom claiming not to have a middle name! My middle name is Jean and I was always “Carol Jean” growing up, and just as often was CJ…until I decided I was much happier with just Carol. My poor mom was so very offended to reject half of the name she gave me, LOL, and now my legal name (like for tax returns and purchasing property) leaves off Jean and uses my maiden name instead. You’re right that names can carry so many emotions with them!

@stitchsmith Good for you on your first successful FD in awhile!

Okay, I’ve been trying to type this message all while having an extensive text conversation with chef-son about suet and another extensive text conversation with an adult piano who’s had heavy exposure to Covid and strep both (I’m not going to her today). My head is spinning from all these simultaneous conversations, LOL!

Gah. And the radio is on and I just heard the first Christmas commercial. Gah, gah, gah. I adore Christmas, but not all the commercials. And so it begins.

Pocket List – Day 24 🍓
    @jaifaim
    @daffodil2010
    @stitchincarol WFD

Day 24, London, UK, NFD,

Well, I’m late on parade ………. Again!!! Yesterdays FD went well, will definitely need to rethink the protein for tomorrows FD though!! I must remind myself that the gnawing hunger is a GOOD thing and not an automatic signal to eat!!

@daffodil2010, I think there may only be one benefit to working a five day week, not £££, but gleefully looking forward to bank holidays!! ………………… Why are they always Mondays or Fridays??? I can’t believe the next one (for me) is Xmas day, that’s actual months away🤣🤣!!!

@lilymartin, welcome back!! I may have some hidden secret powers, I mention your name and Poof! Up you pop!!! It’s a shame the covid nightmare continues😷😷

@funshipfreddie, thanks for the sweat explanation……………. I think!

I’m with you @daffodil2010 …………….. another vote for the pear & ginger pud recipe here!!!

Keep the faith people!! I have just had a biscuit.😬 It’s ok, it’s a NFD, but I really truly didn’t NEED it…………… I need to “Just say No” to my nemesis ………….. ‘The Carbohydrate’!!!🤤

Day 25 NFD NZ 82.6kg
    2 months till Xmas, 6 days to go for October

@stitchincarol That’s interesting about suet. Our butchers still break down their meat so hygiene would be no different for fat or steak. I never buy anything much from the supermarket. I support the growers and doers not the off-shore owned (Australian) supermarkets who have made such phenomenal profits when times are tough that the commerce commission is looking into them. Their answer is to advertise on TV to say what a happy family they all are.
    @funshipfreddie or should I say DavetheRave 🤣🤣🤣 It’s a shame your mother didn’t like Mary – such a lovely name! I had two great grandmothers named Mary Morrison (my maiden name) so I don’t think my parents gave it a second thought. I think the era of bestowing family names on the kidlets has largely passed judging by some of the names out there.
    @penz Where are you! I have just ordered some $44 bottles of Pinot Noir for $16.95 because they were part of a cancelled order to the USA! That’s my Xmas wine sorted!
    @northgeorgia 2 lbs and you’re in the 210s. Yeah. Keep it going!
    @flourbaby I’ll post the Ginger pud recipe in November’s challenge – don’t want to undermine anyone’s last week!!!
    I have a massive cauliflower in the fridge. Any advice on how to make cauliflower steaks?? I 🤍cauliflower cheese but it’s so big even I would OD on that! I thought I’d try something a wee bit healthier… especially since there’s 6 days to go and I would like to drop to around 82… and I have arranged to make lunch for friends on Thursday’s FD and go out to a smart charity dinner that evening… Friday will be my next FD.

STEELY RESOLVE one and all!

Day 25 – Ireland 🇮🇪 -NFD

Ohh already @stitchincarol and @merryapple have mentioned Christmas, and last night we sprinkled ground cloves near our oven ( cat sprayed there so we had to clean and get rid of the smell…she might have heard another cat and got stressed), aaaaand now the house smells like Christmas too 😄

Not an FD today but will fast until late morning then I will have a bowl of Oatbran and walnuts for good fibre and protein. Leftovers for dinner as DH and I need to get some food shopping done in advance of our Bank Holiday trip in the camper…

It’s my Dad’s 87th birthday today ☺️ He has mobility issues but is sharp as a tack and still going strong. We had his birthday party on Saturday so all the family could make it, though I am sure my brother and two of my sisters who live near him will have another little get-together today with him.

He has already booked the band for his 90th birthday by the way! That’s my Dad 😍

Have a great Wednesday all.

Day 25 – Leicester UK – FD

Another FD for me today, yesterday’s Zumba was great, my first session in a few weeks due to a holiday and then illness, can definitely tell this morning that I did the class yesterday but its not too bad. Woke up feeling a bit hungry this morning but will be resisting till lunch time with only water and fruit tea……hope all is well with everyone else……..

Day 25 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@merryapple – ‘Dave the rave’?! 🤯 Yeah, I’ve been called that before 😅 I agree, some of the names these days?! Bizarre. A small price to pay, I guess, if your daddy is Elon Musk. You can always change your name 😂 Some countries even legislate what names can or can’t be used. Crazy world.

FD for me tomorrow. Gotta dash. Line-dancing. 🕺

Happy Hump Day! 🐫

Today’s FUFs:-

The only domestic animal not mentioned in the Bible is the cat.
    Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads or online apps for dating are already married.
    In old Christian art, good angels were red and Satan was blue.
    Ketchup was used medicinally in the early 1800’s.

Pocket List – Day 25 🍋
    @stitchsmith

Day 25 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 224 lbs. Actually on the line with 223 lbs; so I barely gained 2 lbs after yesterday’s NFD. Will probably do a FD500 today. I have a meeting tomorrow evening, so that should prevent a lot of overeating tomorrow.

Pocket List – Day 25 🍋
    @stitchsmith
    @northgeorgia

Day 25 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Yesterday’s WF was the first I’ve completely accomplished in several weeks and I’m feeling serious PFDS today–feels great. There’s nothing exciting to note about my weight, as I’m not eating well enough on NFDs to be making any progress, so I’ll wait to post my weight until I’m actually losing…

@merryapple Nice deal on the Pinot Noir. Whose wine is it you’re getting?

@daffodil2010 Cloves to eliminate smell? All smells, or specifically the spray from your cat? I’ve never heard of that, but it’s got to be glorious. I love that your dad has already booked a band for his 90th! ❤️

Lots of tidying to do today as my housekeeper comes; it will be lovely to have the house restored to tidy and clean by the end of the day. I’m still sorting out what I’ll eat today, but I never cook with any ambition on the day she comes as I want to keep the spotless kitchen spotless! 😂 So perhaps I’ll pull from the freezer a package of the baked bean dish I made a month ago; that won’t make much mess to thaw and heat up. It’s high in calories, but with a sandwich for lunch, I should still be within my 1500 allotted calories.

Pocket List – Day 25 🍋
    @stitchsmith
    @northgeorgia

Day 26 Should be a FD NZ 82.5kg

It’s a big baking and eating day today – Kugelhopf, Flap Jack biscuits and muesli, a friend for lunch then I have the charity dinner tonight accompanied by an auction… 🤐 I feel full already😬licking spoons etc
    @stitchincarol A Central Otago Pinot Noir by Southern Lines
    Just turned my Kugelhopf out and it’s not cooked in the middle so I’ve put it back in the oven… Hmm
    @daffodil2010 Your dad sounds wonderful! The thought of dancing and singing at his party will keep him going!
    I have got to get going… the housekeeper/cleaner sadly is me…

STEELY STEELY RESOLVE TO ME AND EVERYONE ELSE😁

Day 26 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD keto

Steely resolve. Fast until lunch then an egg salad (boiled egg, lettuce, cucumber,a couple of olives, one mushroom chopped, sprinkle mixed herbs, a splash of extra virgin olive oil), and keeping with the protein keto egg theme for dinner with an omelette. Lots of tea and water.

Goodness @merryapple you are having an FD baking day. Steely resolve to you indeed.

Just got a WhatsApp from one of my colleagues who is not logging on today as has a migraine, so that’s going to add to my daily work pressure. Ah well. One thing at a time.

Wonder if I could retire early 🤔😀

Have a great Thursday FD
    @merryapple
    @daffodil2010

Day 26 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

The news is SO depressing these days?! And I just heard something about a mass shooting currently going on in Maine. Possibly + 20 people killed so far, & the lunatic is still at large.

@daffodil2010 – I’m removing @merry🍎 from the list. She said, ‘should be a FD today’, but I’m sure she has no intention of doing so; “it’s a big baking and eating day today…” 😳 There will be no spoon-licking pseudo-fasters on the list. Not on my watch 👀 😜 But – thanks for sending the STEELY RESOLVE our way, @merry🍎

It’s a glorious sunny spring day here, so I’m off out….🌤 🌈

Today’s FUFs:

There’s a city called “Rome” on every continent except Antarctica
    The opposite sides of a die will always add up to seven.
    Marie Curie’s 100-year-old belongings are still radioactive.
    A dentist invented the electric chair ⚡️

Have a great Thursday FD – Day 26 🍏
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie

Day 26 – France – NFD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾

Hi all, no check in yesterday as I was travelling early – attending a two day conference outside Paris which will mean no FDs. This month it has been all about damage limitation and trying to keep up the habit of checking in even though time has been scarce.

I hope your dad had a fabulous birthday yesterday @daffodil2010🎉💕. He sounds like a great character and full of craic 🕺 😄. It’s so important to keep celebrating the birthdays and look forward to the big ones.
    Here’s to us all keeping up the dancing 💃🏻 🕺!
    How’s the line dancing going @funshipfreddie?

Sorry not to be contributing more to the chat… but great to read all the news
    Will have more time next month 🙏

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 26, London, UK, FD

It’s a quick check-in from me today, steely resolve required for today’s FD!! The scales are NOT playing ball at the moment, but I shan’t get despondent. I need to look carefully at my food diary and be 100% HONEST with myself about what accidentally fell into my mouth to cause the scales to laugh in my face!!😒

Tomorrow is the day for the ‘office breakfast’, I would be looking forward to some lovely granary bread if this had been a successful fasting week, I may have to order the salad box!!😲😲

@daffodil2010, I love that your dad has booked the band already🥰🥰no doubt he’ll be the first up throwing some shapes!!!!

No surprises there @funshipfreddie, I could have guessed Bo-Bo would be banished from the bible!!! I’ll be getting the cloves out as he’s been spraying a bit since my (his) mum left us😢

Have a great Thursday FD – Day 26 🍏
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @flourbaby

Day 26 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 222 lbs. Did a FD500 yesterday. I’m trying to get readjusted to one WFD a week and one or two FD500s a week. I want to continue for a few weeks and see what happens — I seem to be less tempted to blow out on a NFD and even reduce my intake, post-FD500s. Right now, kind of stabilizing around this 222/223 mark. Time will tell if the weight begins to drop. I think it will, if I give up the bad habits I picked up on NFDs.

Day 26 – Rural Nebraska, USA – should be a WF, but…?

The starch has been completely removed from me, as I have a sore throat (red and raw, not lumpy) to beat the band and my nose is stuffed up. Could be covid, I suppose, but I’m guessing it’s simply a run of the mill cold. Whatever it is, I don’t feel capable of anything, so am not sure I’m going to teach piano lessons today; we’ll see how I feel in an hour after I’m fully awake. So that puts a WF in danger…but my throat is so sore that the thought of eating anything seems hugely painful, so perhaps that’s the silver lining of whatever is going wrong.

I ate exactly according to plan yesterday, with the exception that I had TWO pieces of bread to go with my baked beans, and I was dumbfounded to discover total calories of two very restrained meals was 1700. Gah! Nonetheless, I’m only up perhaps a half a pound, so that was lovely.

I think I’m going back to bed. Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 27 FFFFDDDD!!!! NZ

@funshipfreddie LOL!!! You are so right! This morning I am still full… What amazing food and wine we had last night. Three chefs cooked three courses. The flag ship was a large whole snapper baked in a salty crusty package. The fish was perfectly cooked but salty until you added the oyster infused beurre blanc making it perfectly balanced.
    @jaifaim Great to have you checking in. Enjoy your trip even if it is work and remember to eat like a Parisian!
    @stitchincarol Bed is the best place to be… take care, drink lots and rest up.
    @flourbaby That’s sad for Bo-Bo. Why do cats spray?Does that mean he’s insecure??? Enjoy your salad!
    The country is gearing up for the rugby tomorrow morning, which will be the same in SA @funshipfreddie. It’s a great distraction while the special counts are being counted and the National Party negotiations are on going to form a government…

Pocket List
    @merry🍎

Day 27 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Good FD yesterday. There was a slice of buttered toast at bedtime, BUT the bread had been frozen then defrosted so I am using the reconstituted carbs excuse, and all well on the scales….though I did see a nice number, but it bounced up 2lbs a few mins later, so the battery may be going 😨

Anyway, I may be overweight but I am still flexible and can do all my exercise without a creak, I intend to be dancing and throwing shapes into my 80’s like my Dad too 💃

We were supposed to go away for the weekend, however my brother who comes to cat-sit cannot make it as he feels Dad cannot be left on his own, and all the rest of the family are busy ☹️ There are loads of us and Dad always has somewhere to go or one of us staying over, but this weekend, no.

So I would rather Dad safe and well, so we might just pop off for the night in the van, and Missie wil be ok with that. I would never leave her in the house though for two nights, that litter tray doesn’t clean itself! And there would be spraying 😳

Oh so sorry @flourbaby to hear that BO-BO misses his mum, it’s so sad. I used to put black pepper down but that’s not working now, so hoping the strong cloves work. But if cats are stressed they will spray, but rather out in the garden than in the house. Hope this will pass.

Feel better @stitchincarol.

Right off to work, happy Fri-yay !

Day 27 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 71.2 kg

@merryapple – there’s a LOT of anxiety & apprehension here ahead of tomorrow’s rugby final 😳 There will be relentless speculation, discussion, analysis, you-name-it. I’m just trying not to think about it 🤯 Wishing you a stress-free Friday FD 🎯

@stitchincarol – oh no?! Sore throats are the worst. Feel better soon 🤗

@jaifaim – the line-dancing is going okay. I think we do more laughing than dancing though, & I doubt we’ll be appearing on ‘South Africa’s got Talent’ anytime soon 🤣

@daffodil2010 – a pity about your weekend plans getting scuppered. I don’t even like leaving Boo Boo for more than 3 or 4 hours, she’s so used to having someone around. She can get out during the day though, & she’s usually waiting for me when I get back. Or waiting to be fed, more like 😻

@flourbaby – I’ll bet there was at least one cat snoozing in the stable. And there must’ve been at least two in Noah’s ark? 😅

Two more FDs for me Saturday & Monday, attempting to remove the extra kg that’s sneaked up on me this month. I’m almost out of FUFs though. Anyone putting up their hand for November? 🤔

Happy Fri-yay! 🍹

Today’s FUFs. Did you know…?

Apple seeds contain cyanide.
    The cheesiest pizza ever was topped with 154 varieties of cheese.
    There are giant technicolor squirrels in India.
    A shark is the only animal that can blink both its eyes.

Pocket List – Day 27 🍇
    @merry🍎

Day 27 – Leicester UK – FD

Happy Friday all, another work week is almost done…….another FD for me, getting back into the swing of it now……hoping to see results on the scales reasonably soon……..

2nd Post – Day 27

Pocket List  – Day 27 🍇
    @merry🍓
    @stitchsmith

Day 27 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 223 lbs. Let’s see how today goes!

Day 27 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

It was a quiet day yesterday, as I didn’t speak at all due to that sore throat–truly couldn’t speak particularly, actually. Came home around 2 from working in the church office and went straight to food, and slowly started feeling better. Ate too much, but seemed to feel better each time I ate a little more. And around 8, DH came home from an evening meeting and I asked him how it went and what was discussed–and we suddenly realized I was talking. Whew. Still not 100% this morning, but essentially fine.

I do have a pounding headache, however, that Excedrin hasn’t yet touched (🤷🏻‍♀️❓❓🤷🏻‍♀️) so I’ll skip any chatter this morning. It got down to freezing last night, so our lovely Indian Summer (where’d that phrase come from, anyway?) has come to an end, but it’s wonderful sit-on-the-sofa-with-a-lit-candle-and-knit weather. 🥰🧶❤️

Have a grand one, everyone!

Day 27, London, UK, NFD

So, I got the sausage sarnie with granary bread!!!! It’s sitting in the fridge as the hunger wave came & went with ease, so either I succumb this evening or I save it for tomorrow morning’s breakfast and call this a FD!!!! Decisions, decisions!!!!

Wow @merryapple, that snapper sounds fantastic, I’ve done the salt crust on seabass before …………….. a bit too much faff for the result, but if someone else wants to do it for me, I’m IN!!!! The spraying is a sign of anxiety, he was crying through the night because, unlike my mum, he’s not allowed to share my bed!! I tried a special diffuser to try to settle him, but it only worked for a while, apparently they rub their cheeks against us they release the same “I love you & feel safe” pheromone found in the diffuser!!

@daffodil2010, Bo-Bo usually spends his days outdoors but home for food, warmth & a soft bed by 9pm, but with the terrible rain he’s been indoors for a couple of days, the litter tray is a nightmare by evening, although like most cats he only uses it for No. 1’s and I refuse to get a 2nd tray specially for No 2’s!! The spraying is stress & anxiety and he also tend to spray anything new to ‘his’ house that’s bigger than him – parcels and anything cardboard usually.

@stitchincarol, you had such a full week, it probably knocked your defences down a bit so you were susceptible!! Feel better soon 🙏🏽

@funshipfreddie, I do hope the anxiety & apprehension you’re anticipating doesn’t lead to any spraying!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Onward & downwards folks!!!

Day 28 NZ FD 83kg

The day was OK but in the evening I ate far too much which I am declaring for accountability. Not proud of myself at all. It wasn’t because of hunger but some deep seated comfort eating I don’t even understand… The only thing to note was I spent the preparation and eating of my first dinner on the phone and didn’t focus on and enjoy fully what I was eating, which was asparagus, haloumi, sweet peppers, fennel and a poached egg – well within the 500cals. I followed that up with carbs(bread etc). So here I am joining you for a Saturday FD @funshipfreddie and intend to plan my supper well ahead of time to not fall into the same psychological trap. No phone-dinners allowed from now on…
    @flourbaby Have you ever watched the strange LA cat man (bald with a goatee) on TV who manages to solve all sorts of cat problems their owners are having or owner problems for cats?? You might get some insights from him.
    @funshipfreddie and the rugby crowd – I am walking to Eden Park to watch the final on their big screens with other rugby fans. The park opens at 0700 hrs and the match starts at 0800. The free-to-air game starts an hour later with ads (of course) so I decided to join in on the Live coverage of what will either throw the country into euphoria or despair!!

MORE STEELY RESOLVE!!

Day 28 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@merryapple – Enjoy the rugby! It sounds weird, going to see a match at 8 am?! It’ll be 9 pm here, much more civilised. I think the ‘strange LA cat man’ you mentioned is Jackson Galaxy? I’ve never seen him on TV, but it sounds like the guy on YouTube. Some of his videos have had millions of views & he’s got +2 million subscribers. @flourbaby – he’s definitely your go-guy for any cat-related problems. I’ve never had any problems with Boo Boo spraying, but she’s been neutered. I think that makes a difference? She has a litter tray, but seldom uses it & prefers to go outside.

@stitchsmith – another FD yesterday? Good for you, sounds like you’re on a mission. Your 3rd one this week. I hope you see results on the scales 💪

@stitchincarol – good to hear you’re feeling better, & that the sore throat has gone, at least.

It’s rained all night, & it’s pouring now. Hoping for a reprieve later this morning so I can rack up some steps🚶‍♂️

Have a good weekend everyone 🌤🌈

Today’s FUFs

You would likely “mutate” in space without a spacesuit
    In most advertisements, including newspapers, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10
    There are around 16 million people alive today that are direct descendants of Genghis Khan
    An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain.

Pocket List – Day 28 🥚
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie

Day 28 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 223 lbs. Ho-hum. Highest average in the last couple of years this month, and stubbornly staying there. I’ll wait it out.

Day 29 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD 71.0

Congrats to the Springboks! 🥳️🎈🎉 We won by one point – again?! NZ 11 – SA 12. Those last 10 minutes felt like 10 hours 🥴️. A record-breaking 4th World Cup win for South Africa 🏆

Michael Mosley’s column from yesterday:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12681285/DR-MICHAEL-MOSLEY-Try-seaweed-instead-essential-Omega-3s.html

Sad to hear of Matthew Perry dying suddenly at only 54 years old

3 more days of the 🍂October Challenge🎃 left. I’m guessing there’ll be a whopper of a pocket list tomorrow. Or not 😅 I’ll be on it anyway 🎯

Happy S🌞nday y’all!

“Don’t be discouraged. It’s often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock.” ~ Unknown

Today’s FUFs:-

Finland has the most metal bands per capita.
    Massachusetts is home to Busta Rhymes Island.
    There’s a tiny home in Virginia called the “Spite House” because that’s why it was built.
    An earthquake might have shrunk Mount Everest.

Day 29 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 226 lbs. Egads, where the heck did those 3 lbs pile on me from overnight? My plan is a WFD today and a FD500 tomorrow. No, October has not been kind. I’m averaging my highest weight in two years, and yes, some pants got a bit tight. Grrrrr….

Pocket list – day 29
    @northgeorgia

Day 29 – France – NFD 🚫🚶‍♂️✅ 🌾

Hi all, just a quick check in… I’m actually expanding as I type 😂😂. So much good food… cheeeesssee!!!! 🧀
    A busy week here but lovely catch ups with friends and family is rounding off this busy few months I’ve had. I’m looking forward to getting home tonight and having a quiet week with a bit of focus.

I was super lucky to get to the rugby world cup final last night… it would have been great if Ireland had got through obviously – I can’t imagine what the atmosphere would have been like as already there were people singing Ireland’s Call and Zombie through the streets of Paris late into the night but the game was just incredible and the pre match show with Mika and medal presentation and fireworks afterwards made for a brilliant night – hard luck to @merryapple and the All Blacks 🇳🇿🥲 and super well done to SA 🇿🇦👏 . They must be so happy there @funshipfreddie – they fought hard for it ⭐️ . The last 10 minutes of the match were soooo tense! 😬

Onward and downward ⬇️

NZ FD Day30 82.7

Just lost my post on an edit. So I’m trying to split it in two…
    We are being whipped by the tail of Cyclone Lola which hit Vanuatu two days ago so it’s stormy with wind gusts above 110 km/hr…
    My Saturday FD went well – made cauliflower soup with an egg added at the end like fettuccine for my evening meal. Y’day evening I had dinner at a friend’s place. And here I am back on my usual schedule for FDs. Fingers crossed I’ll make the 1 kg monthly loss… I just checked the sheet and I started the month at 83.2kg. Hmm that could be a tall ask… I should fill in the sheet more often to keep tabs on where I’m up to. Same goes for others!!
    @stitchsmith, @stitchincarol (hope you’re feeling better), @northgeorgia, @flourbaby, @daffodil2010, @at, @lilymartin,@excelsior12309 and all the others I WISH YOU STRENGTH FOR THE LAST 24 hrs of OUTSTANDING OCTOBER!!!
    Is anyone volunteering to host? I know it’s a busy month. I can set up the sheet for someone. I can do it if no one else is able to but I did July and I don’t want to be in the ‘too much of a good thing’ or ‘familiarity breeds contempt’ camp!!☺️

Say Strong everyone!

2nd post Day30

This paragraph should come first!
    Fingers crossed
    Firstly congratulations to SA and @funshipfreddie! And what fun @jaifaim to be there. Two great teams made it to the final and the Springboks deserved to win. The ABs missed opportunities that could have put them in the lead… However the match was not the great game it should have been thanks to the refereeing pack who had far too much influence on the game. There were a ton of people watching at Eden Park who reacted to the refereeing more than the game. In the southern hemisphere our refs allow the game to flow much more. The recent rule changes have slowed the game down in the name of attempting to protect against CTE (used to be called punch drunk syndrome). However it seems like Mr TMO is relitigating and telling the ref on the field (who is meant to be in charge) what to do for way more than dangerous tackles… Moving on…

3rd post Day 30

I’ve put up a spreadsheet for November.
    Hope that’s OK with everyone☺️

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zVx28A6nQ2cPjANfKUiIEgElRTF_tmjWj03TXM6k3sI/edit?usp=sharing

Day 30 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@jaifaim – oh, lucky you?!! I’m green 🍀 with envy. Yes, the whole country is on a high, & there’s green & gold everywhere. And apparently our president will address the nation this evening. Rumour has it he will declare a national holiday to mark the win. Just what our sinking economy needs – more public holidays 🙄

@merryapple – thanks for the November spreadsheet, & for offering to host the next Challenge. You can’t have too much of a good thing 😜 but maybe someone else will volunteer between now & the 1st? But if you do set it up, could you please add this to the list of acronyms? NSV – non-scale victory (courtesy of @flourbaby)

@northgeorgia – don’t look back. Adding you to the list. Last push for October 💪

Monday FUFs – Did you know…?

The largest bill to go into circulation in the United States was a $10,000 note.
    You spray 2.5 drops of saliva per word 😳
    The tallest supported bamboo sculpture is more than 164-feet high.
    Messages from your brain travel along your nerves at up to 200 miles per hour.

Pocket List – Day 30 🍌
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 30, London, UK, NFD

This will be my 4th NFD in a row, not the best schedule for me, this week I’m aiming to fast Tue, Thurs & Sat. I’m treating October as a gentle reintroduction to fasting😉 I’ll need to kick start November as I mean to go on.
    November 1st will be my 7 year fasting anniversary! I bit the bullet on November 1st 2016 and it worked like a charm, then life got in the way, the wagon zoomed off leaving me in the dirt!!! It certainly seems harder 2nd time around (or perhaps that’s due to a certain ‘time of life’ change??), but I’m determined to succeed, if only to ward off Alzheimers, heart disease and diabetes!! enough waffling!!

Have a great Day 30!!!

Day 30 – UK – FD

Good morning all

I’m still struggling with fasting here so will put up my hand to host November with the hope that it gives me the kickstart that I so desperately need 🤞

@merryapple – thanks for the spread sheet – I will attach it to the November Challenge when I set it up today

Pocket List – Day 30 🍌
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @at

I have to remind myself that “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 30 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 221 lbs. Nice Whoosh! I had a tummy-ache mid-day yesterday, which was worrying — but then I remembered: I imbibed in some late night hot chocolate on Sunday. Double whammy of my emerging lactose intolerance and taking in that fat and sugar so late in the evening. That’ll teach me! The bloat subsided, so the weight dropped nearly 5 lbs in a day.

Hoping to wrap up October strong, possibly at my lowest weight for the month tomorrow morning. Plan today is a FD500.

Pocket List – Day 30 🍌
    @merry🍎
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @at

Day 30 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Hideous weight this morning and even more hideous cold. I had a few days respite from the Thursday symptoms, and got through yesterday’s huge service (it was Reformation and we had choir and DS27 on trumpet and me on lots of new/special organ music), but it’s been all downhill from there and I’m now miserable. The meds I took when I woke up haven’t really kicked in, so when it’s time to take more, I’ll be more selective in hopes they are more effective.

Thanks, @at for volunteering to host November.

Perhaps I’ll read everything later, but right now I’m simply miserable with a stuffy head, lots of coughs, and plenty of sneezes…classic common cold.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply.