My 16 week countdown

This topic contains 467 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 8 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 473 total)

• Hi Cath, they scales are a bit scary. I’m only going to look at the body and water fat content once a month!! How tall are you (can’t remember if you have put it down sometime)? I am just under 5′ 4″.I’m a bit older than you – I’ll be 59 in March and decided that I really needed to do something before the big one! Linda x

Hi Linda, well I always thought I was 5ft 5.5in although my husband (who I’ve known for 10 years) has always disputed this! According the hospital pre-op I came out at around 5ft 4.5in – so I now count 5ft 4in!

And I am 51 – 52 in May. It’s good to have a goal to motivate you – but losing any weight just makes you feel so much better!

Cath x

Congratulations, cathyork!
    I think that is brilliant! I am really impressed because I am assuming you are still on your way to full mobility and maybe have to rest a lot – for me that would be a 100 cups of tea and biscuits, which you’re obviously NOT doing, WELL DONE.
    Have you been for a walk yet? Take care out there in that wild’n’windy weather, I’m in Norfolk so have it much better than our fellows in the South West 🙁

You’re welcome for the book recs! (My Shirley Jackson book has not arrived from the library store yet so I’m reduced to playing Animal Crossing on my daughter’s DS, lol). I love the image of your frock being ‘exhumed’ from your wardrobe, I have a few like that.. maybe one day!

Take care!
    Aud x

Well done Cath!
    You have achieved so much that is beneficial to your joint replacement recovery.
    Its great isnt it to pass that stone and half stone mark on the scales 😀
    I always wait until I am at least 2lbs under to actually believe it.
    Have you read ‘Birdsong’ by Sebastian Faulkes or ‘The Midwife’s Confession’ by Diane Chamberlain? Birdsong is my fave book (read with a box of kleenex) and I found the Midwife one very readable.
    Keep up the good work.

Hi Aud & Linda,

Yes I am improving day by day. Yesterday I went for a short walk outside on my crutches and it felt OK – I am going to try again today as I need to build up distance & stamina gradually.

It is lovely to get under 12 stone at last – though I’ve had a bit of an indulgent weekend since my Friday weigh in so I need to have a few strict days this week. I may do 4:3 seeing as I have no social life at the moment 🙁

Linda – yes I read Birdsong years ago when it first came out – it is brilliant isn’t it? But I’ve not read “The Midwife’s confession” though I have seen Diane Chamberlain’s books listed on Amazon so I may try to get it for my Kindle – thanks for that!

Cath x

Well no weight loss this week but I have stayed the same, which I am OK with (after an unexpected 3lb loss last week). I had intended to do 4:3 this week but after a good fast day Monday, I really struggled on Wednesday so just couldn’t face a 3rd day on Thursday.

starting weight (19 Aug) 13st 8.5 lbs
    weight now (14th Feb) 11st 12lb
    LOSS THIS WEEK = NIL
    TOTAL LOSS = 24.5lb

GOALS:
    1. GET UNDER 11 stone – aim to do this by 4th April (7 weeks time)
    2. REACH A HEALTHY BMI = 10stone 6lbs
    3. REACH ULTIMATE GOAL = 10 stone

Mobility-wise I am continuing to make progress – and can do some limited walking without crutches now. I’ve also managed to get out for a walk with the crutches 5 times this week. 2 more weeks now until my check up and the start of physio. Definitely doing 4:3 this coming week!

Cath x

Mind you don’t get blown over Cath! Don’t walk outside alone. I’m sure you know that so I’ll shut up.
    I will join you on 4:3 this week as for some reason I have found cake and biscuits irresistible this week and I don’t have a sweet tooth normally. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday might work for me – out for lunch on Wednesday and family to visit and eating out all day Saturday.
    Take care x

Hi Cath,

I’m thrilled to hear to getting about without your crutches already, you take care though. I don’t blame you for sticking with 5:2 x

I’m also joining you and LindyW with 4:3 this week. (Lindyw, I’ve been really good during the day but blew on Valentine’s night, oops) On Tuesday, my Spriggles is having an op, so I’ll be fasting with her for support. It might be and up and down week this week, but I’m encouraged by your progress.

Keep on truckin’ (I won’t say ::dances:: … maybe next month!)

Aud xxx

Thanks Lindyw and Aud – I am genuinely feeling much better. I have discovered that recovery is not gradual and linear, some days I can find I can do something which was just impossible the day before – long may it continue!

4:3 this week which means Monday (completed) and Wednesday and Thursday (which I am not looking forward to!

Hope you both continue to do well

Cath x

Great news Cath, sounds like it is all going well. As the weather is rubbish, you can recover in the dry and warm.You have done amazingly well on the weight loss, which no doubt, has made a massive difference on your recovery and mobility.I was also looking at your weight loss goals…the elusive 10 stone, one that I aim for too.

Hi Cath, Glad you are getting about a bit without your crutches – you will soon be running about!

I’ve lost 9lb since Christmas although most of that was what I put on over the Christmas period! I had a couple of weeks of no loss but a few people are now commenting that I look like I have lost weight. I do feel better and my size 14 jeans are loose now! I think something must have happened to sizes over the years because I used to have to be 9stone to fit in a size 12 and I can see that coming sooner now.

I’ve just been looking through some old diaries and in the last 4 years my weight has yo-yo’d from between 11stone 10lb to 13stone 4lbs so at the moment, at 11stone 7lbs, I am the lightest I have been for quite some time. I am convinced and determined that I will carry on losing and do not intend to put it all back on. Linda

Amazingly I have managed to stick to the 4:3 this week. I have been out several times now – on Sunday and Tuesday I walked to the pub and back (very slowly on crutches) for lunch – both non-fast days; and on Wednesday and Thursday I went out shopping in the car with my husband and did a fair bit of mooching around M&S and John Lewis. On those two days I sat through my husband eating delicious lunches in front of me, whilst I stuck to water and mint tea! But I was determined. The result was a 1lb loss which takes me to approximately halfway to my target 🙂

weight now (21st Feb) 11st 11lb
    LOSS THIS WEEK = 1lb
    TOTAL LOSS = 25.5lb

I have also had a major rethink about my weight loss goals – in terms of how long it is going to take. I am now exactly 6 months into following 5:2 and my weight loss averages out at 1lb per week although admittedly there were 7 weeks where I was not following 5:2 (2 weeks holiday in September, 3 weeks over Xmas and 2 weeks whilst I was having my surgery).

I have realised that it is not sensible to think I can speed up the rate of loss, even by doing 4:3, which is not always possible anyway. Plus when I take holidays, chances are I am not going to be fasting at all. So I have decided that if it took me 6 months to lose half the weight – it will take me a further 6 months to lose the remainder.

SO MY NEW GOALS:
    1. REACH THE ‘2 STONE LOST’ MILESTONE (another 2.5lb)- aim to do this by 14th March (3 weeks time)
    2. HIT 11 stone – aim to do this by 9th May(11 weeks time and the day after my 52nd birthday)
    3. REACH A HEALTHY BMI = 10 stone 6lbs (by 4th July)
    4. REACH ULTIMATE GOAL = 10 stone (by 15th August – the 1 year mark!)

I am pretty sure my weight loss would have hit a plateau long ago if I didn’t do the 4:3 intermittently, but I am not aiming to do the 4:3 every week as it is really hard! However, I am hoping that once I can start exercising properly – maybe in about 6 weeks time – that this will give me a boost. This is also the time I am looking to go back to work.

@annette – thanks for your support – I see from other threads that you are still running which is brilliant – here’s to both of us reaching our 10 stone goal!

@linda – not sure I’ll be running – but walking OK will be a start. I see the doc and physio next Friday (28th) so looking forward to moving into the next ‘phase’ of recovery. It is great to hear you are doing so well. It is lovely when people start noticing your weight loss – and your size 14 jeans feeling loose is fantastic – well done you! Unfortunately I am not really ready for jeans just yet – as my surgery scar (which is huge!) runs down where the outside seam would be; so I am making do with M&S joggers when at home and leggings with loose tunics or dresses for going out. I am not even sure when I’ll be able to wear anything tighter – but hopefully by then I may be ready for a smaller size 🙂

Cath x

Congrats Cath- it’s a plan!

I hope that you heal well and are out there running circles around the town in no time at all!

Hi Cath,

Just stopping by to catch up and wish you well on your continued recovery.
    I understand regarding the re-adjustment of goals – me too, I’m trying to stay positive

Aud x

Hi Cath, I find I stick to small targets better than making a huge statement too.
    I did 4:3 last week too (Monday, Wednesday and Saturday) and didn’t find it too bad. I had lost a pound on my Sunday weigh in, then went a family day for my brother in laws birthday and the food (and wine) was delicious so who knows what happened 😛
    Great to hear you are hitting the town again, take one day at a time don’t rush.
    🙂

My recovery is still going well. Had my 6 week check on Friday and have reduced to just one crutch and have instructions now to start doing lots of things I have not been allowed to do since the op – principally exercise!

I also had a consultation with the Physio and I have been given tons of really hard exercises to do to try to reinstate my left side hip/leg/bum muscles which are currently non-existent. Boy do they hurt! But I am persevering. This Thursday I start weekly hydrotherapy which should also help.

I fasted well last week (5:2 not 4:3) but completely blew it as my friend came to stay for a few days and I went crazy on the eating and drinking front so I didn’t even get on the scales on Friday 🙁 I thought best not.

I am planning a week away with my husband to Edinburgh in 2 weeks time and I was amazed when he suggested that he join me on 5:2 for the next two weeks – as he wants to shed half a stone and we are likely to eat out a lot whilst away. The only complication is that he is an insulin dependent diabetic so has to eat at least twice a day. So today was Day 1. I fasted as normal – he really tried hard all day (in fact he didn’t moan once about hunger)- but cracked tonight and had to have a sandwich before bed. I think he’s decided that he will just cut down each day for two weeks instead!

I am still going to try 4:3 this week and next and hope I can reach my “2 stone” milestone of 11stone 8.5lb by 14.03.14. We’ll see….

Hope everyone else is doing well this week

Cath xx

Hi Cath, glad you are recovering well and good luck with the excercises. I’ve had a couple of weeks where I’ve only lost a pound and then put it back on but I’m still trying!

In fact, someone said to me at work this morning that they could really tell I had lost weight. It could be something to do with the fact that I have a new top on that is tighter than some of the old ones I am still wearing! Linda

Thanks Linda – yes I am feeling happy with my progress. Like you my weight is pretty much stalled at the moment (probably due to overindulgence!)but we have to hang in there 🙂

And how lovely that someone noticed you new shape at work – it definitely gives you a boost!

As you probably know I haven’t been working as normal since early November when my project was scrapped and soon afterwards I successfully volunteered for redundancy. Officially I left at the end of January – and my plan is to get a new position to start in April.

Well today, to start my preparations, I spent a couple of hours trying on the work clothes in my wardrobe in front of my very patient but brutally honest husband – and practically nothing fitted any more! Even stuff I thought was OK-ish, if a big baggy, he vetoed.

Now there’s a charity bag full of all my favourite stuff – suits, trousers, shirts and tops. All I have left is a couple of pairs of trousers (hardly worn as they are size 14 and were previously too tight); a skirt and a dress which are both now very big on me but don’t look too bad and 1 nice but really old black suit jacket – the suit trousers were shiny with age and far too big. Also a couple of really old shirts and a couple of smart tops. I was astonished.

It is a bit of a dilemma as I definitely need an interview suit now, but I can see that it would not make sense to buy too much as once my belly flab goes (hopefully with the next stone lost) I will definitely be less that a 14 in trousers. My pesky apple shape means I don’t realistically expect to drop below a 16 top though! When I managed to get back into jeans after my op (only last week),I did notice the size 14 jeans I started to fit back into in early November are quite baggy now – but I think it will be a while before I hit a 12 due to aforementioned belly flab and muffin top.

So it is really great from a weight loss/shape change perspective – but I am going to have to buy an ‘interim’ interview suit very soon!

Cath- you are amazing! You have already done so much! Please build up the muscles in your hip before trying so hard to lose more weight. Heal first, then diet. I’m not saying just stuff yourself, either, but eat enough to let yourself get better. Fasting will still be there, in a few weeks! xxP

Well done Cathy on your recovery post-op.I just wondered if you were able to find an inexpensive jersey type dress and jacket that would flatter your figure in the interim, and might last longer than trousers as you continue to shrink. I bought something similar in the sales last year from M & S which was perfect. I was so disappointed when it clearly became too big.It might well be worth having a look in charity shops, I have some very good ones near me,to see if you can find an ‘interim’ interview suit in one of those.

Well I have managed 2 decent fast days this week and I was really good on the other days – only eating when I was hungry and stopping when I felt full. And I am delighted to have lost 1.5lb bringing me within 1lb of the 2 stone mark!

weight now (7th Mar) 11st 9.5lb
    LOSS THIS WEEK = 1.5lb
    TOTAL LOSS = 27lb

I will push to get another 1lb off next week as I am then off to Edinburgh for a week which I know will involve lots of eating out and drinking. I’d be delighted to hit the 2 stone mark before then even if I gain a little during that week!

@piper – don’t worry I am not doing anything daft! I am doing my exercises religiously and eating properly. I had planned a 4:3 this week but was really hungry on Thursday when I had considered doing the 3rd fast day so decided not to fast. I am just trying to listen to my body 🙂

@annette – thanks for your post! Well I went to M&S yesterday as they had a 20% off clothing offer and was amazed that the suit I thought I might want (black wool, 16 jacket and 14 trousers) was too big for me! I then tried on a much cheaper but still nice navy suit – and get this – I bought a jacket, trousers and a skirt (all in size 14!!) for under £100 – and with the 20% off I got in for £70 something!

I have to admit that the jacket is a little snug, and I might start off not buttoning it up, but it looks great and I am absolutely delighted with it. After my purchases I spent the whole day feeling really happy and so so pleased I found the 5:2 approach and it has worked! And I have also found a local seamstress on line and I have decided to take nicest of the clothes I was intending to donate along to her next week to see if alterations would be feasible/affordable.

So life is good right now – but I am still persevering to get down to my “healthy” BMI.

Cath xx

Well done Cathy! You must be thrilled with your weight loss and with the clothes. Have a fantastic time in Edinburgh.

Hi Cathy
    Great to hear you are progressing so well. Stick with the physio and don’t overdo it!
    I think Spring is coming at last to our part of the world, and since your wardrobe sounds a bit like mine, will be looking forward to some light summery clothes in the shops 🙂
    I keep a skirt that I know I bought in 1994 (omg that’s 20 years ago!)and tried it today and it fits. Now I am wondering if anyone will recognise it………….
    Its the end of my 2nd fast this week so I am hoping to see a change on my scales on Sunday.
    Keep up the good work 😀

Cath- Can’t help caring if you are doing okay. I’m invested. Glad to hear that you are doing well- keep doing well, I’m looking!

Hi Cath!
    I’m reading your updates and thinking WOW, the charity shops are doing well out of you and all for the best reason :):)
    I bet you look a knockout in your new togs and enjoy yourself in Edinburgh – I used to work as tour guide up and down the Royal Mile during my college summers, so much fun.
    Anyway, WELL DONE on being so close to the 2 stones!
    How is your hubby doing?

Take care!
    Aud x

By the way, Lindy, I have a skirt from C&A that I’m determined to get back into… now when did they close their UK stores? LOL

Aud x

Hi Cath, well done, you are doing great. I have lost another couple of pounds and, although not lost any inches (not in the places I have been measuring anyway) my BMI and body fat is going down.

I think I may need a trip to the charity shop too – I have been trying on some spring/summer stuff, trousers mainly and some of them I can pull down without undoing them!! You’re right, it is a great feeling when someone notices. My sister can’t believe my Mum still hasn’t said anything. I nearly told her about this WOE last week but we were talking about losing weight in general and she doesn’t think it’s good to go for long periods without food! I’ll tell her when I’ve lost the next 7lb.

I hope you enjoy Edinburgh, it’s a great city and will be lovely if the weather is like this. Linda

Haha Aud I think C & A closed in UK in about 2000. Not to worry its a great feeling when YOU can wear them again with comfort.

@ Linds
    I think I too will need to update my summer wardrobe soon! My mother didn’t notice for ages either so don’t worry. I met some friends for lunch recently and as the conversation came around to weight (pudding stage I think) I told one(I hadn’t seen for about a year)how much I had lost and how, her reply was I had never looked overweight to her anyway and she couldn’t see any difference in me! My two other friends spat ice cream all over her laughing.

Hi Cathy,

Just stopping by to wish you well and hope you had a fantastic time in Edinburgh

Aud x

Hi Cathy,

Also just wishing you well. How are you doing?

I’m glad someone posted on here – I couldn’t find it!

How was Edinburgh Cath?

Hi everyone and thanks for the messages!

It has been a while since I posted as I had a holiday last week in Durham and Edinburgh. The week before I went I did 3 really strict fast days and lost…nothing at all! so I decided to give myself 10 days off – and I plan to restart tomorrow.

Edinburgh was fantastic. Fabulous city, lovely people – though it was COLD! I was a bit disappointed though that I still needed one crutch to walk properly as I had been hoping to walk unaided by the time we went. I had a slight setback the day before we went when I stupidly jumped a bit awkwardly/too quickly into the passenger seat of the car as we were blocking someone in and I hurt (what I’m hoping is) a muscle in my bad leg. The upshot was that I could no longer manage the exercises I’d been getting gradually better at. So I decided to lay off these – but we still did a lot of walking around whilst we were away. I go back to Physio on Thursday so will see what the verdict is. I am now (9 weeks in) practising walking without the crutches, am managing to walk up and downstairs and all my mobility aids from social services have been returned.

Last week was a very food heavy week – we had some lovely meals, then returned by train to Durham and had a meal out with my parents for my Dad’s birthday, then came home and last night a great friend came to stay so we ate out again. To be honest I’ll be glad not to eat out again for some considerable time! On a positive note I ate nothing between meals and always stopped when full.

However, I haven’t dared get weighed yet – and as my friend stayed last night and I cooked breakfast this morning I decided that today could not be a fast day so I will fast Tuesday and Thursday this week. I will weigh in and post tomorrow so I can assess the holiday damage! I am guessing around 3-4 lbs gained but will see tomorrow.

Oh and hubby didn’t lose anything at all with his first few fasts – he was mega disappointed! He has decided to accompany me as much as he is able, but maybe not restrict to 600 calories on a fast day, particularly as it has to be compatible with his insulin injections. But on a fantastically positive note his blood sugars have plummeted to 7.1 (he’d had really high readings in the last few weeks and I was really worried about him). That has spurred him on and he too is going to get back on it tomorrow.

I hope everyone else is doing well – I’ll check the other threads to see how everything is going.

Cath x

I’m glad you enjoyed Edinburgh, I bet the cobbles on the Royal Mile were a bit tricky though!

I’ve not done so well this month after losing a couple of pounds it seems to have been off and on all month. I have been out for a couple of meals, socialising etc. but I’ve also been a bit naughty with the “munchies”. I had a couple of fast days that I didn’t do so well on and I have had to give myself a bit of a talking to. The thing is that, if you are in that frame of mind, it’s too easy to slip back to the old ways and my will power seems to have fallen by the wayside.

My sister has now started what she calls her version of the 5:2 and has lost half a stone in the last couple of months so I need to get back on track – a bit of healthy competition will perhaps get me motivated again.

OK so finally braved the scales and the damage is not too bad – a gain of 2.5 lbs, so I am back to fasting today:

starting weight (19 Aug) 13st 8.5lbs
    weight now (25th Mar) 11st 12lb
    GAIN SINCE LAST WEIGH IN = 2.5lb
    TOTAL LOSS = 24.5lb

The posh ‘do’ that I am going to takes place in a couple of weeks so I am determined to try very hard this week and next to drop the extra 2.5lbs and hopefully another 1lb to reach the elusive 2 stone lost mark. Hubby has also gained 3lb, so although he is not fasting, he is really trying to reduce his calorie intake to both lose weight and stabilise his blood sugars.

@linds – I know what you mean about the ‘slippage’ and the effect of socialising – one step forward one step back! It is just trying to get a balance that works. Although I have gained weight, we had some fab meals when we were away and a fair amount of beer and wine. I don’t regret it because I really enjoyed it – but we all know how hard it is to shed those extra pounds again. I am trying to anticipate what it will be like to get my summer clothes out from their storage bag under the bed – I am really hoping that the previously tight ones fit and there may be some more donations to charity – the clocks go forward this weekend so I am trying to focus on being slimmer and fitter for summer!

Cath x

Hi:

Your spam is tiresome. As you have already ‘reviewed’ it, you must already know what it is like.

Good Luck!

I have lost 2.5lb this week which makes 20lb in total since I started in October! I’ll do BMI, fat, water “weigh in” this weekend and see what those results are too. I am feeling more positive and motivated after slipping back a bit.

Like you Cath getting fitter and slimmer for Summer is my focus.

I was reading about someone who swallowed the balloon to fill her stomach and her comment was that although the balloon was only in for a few months it had given her the chance to change her eating habits (control her portion sizes and stop the snacking) and this is what 5:2 is doing (most of the time anyway) for me. Linda

Happy this week as after 2 fast days I have managed to drop the 2.5 lbs I gained last week in Edinburgh. Now the tougher job is to keep going and lose some more. I was just thinking that although my total is still 27lbs, I have lost an additional 7.5 lbs as this is the total of my gains from my summer holiday, Xmas and break last week! Anyway only 1lb left until I hit the 2 stone lost mark so I am hoping to be there next week. Also I am now fully off my crutches although walking a bit like a Weeble.

weight now (28th Mar) 11st 9.5lb
    LOSS SINCE LAST WEIGH IN = 2.5lb
    TOTAL LOSS = 27lb

Linda – well done on reaching 20lb – that is brilliant!

Hope everyone else is having a good week

Oh and my poor hubby has only lost half a pound but we had a long session with the diabetic consultant at the hospital yesterday and I came out far more informed about what he should be doing than I was when we went in. It is quite complex and my hubby doesn’t always remember all of it, hence me going along. Don’t think 5:2 is a goer for him with insulin control and injections, so he’s headed down the calorie counting and exercise route with my support 🙂 he only has 10lb or so to lose. We are due nice warm weather this weekend so we will be very active in the garden and we are also planning to go for a swim.

Cath x

Well done to you too Cath. I hope your hubby is able to lose some too – gardening is a great form of excercise.

My BMI and stuff were a bit higher than last month but I had gone up and down in the last month and ended up weighing more than the last time I measured them! On the plus side though I have lost an inch of my thighs and 0.5 off my arms so I’ll try again next month. Linda

Well I think I may have hit a plateau as I keep bobbing around so very near to the 2 stone mark, but still not quite there – stayed the same this week despite gardening & swimming – though I feel (I admit it, I know!!)I wasn’t really strict enough on fast days.

On the health front I am now almost there with walking – I am driving fine and I have my 12 week review with the surgeon next week at which I am expecting to be discharged with only annual checks thereafter. Woo hoo!!

This last weekend was the weekend of my posh do in Eastbourne, at which I managed to wear small heels (for most of the evening) and even dance a bit (after a fashion)! It was great to feel normal again. I didn’t make it into my 15 year old evening dress, still far too tight, so bought a new one – but I felt very happy in it. It is now Monday and I have just got home after a very tough drive – so today didn’t work as my usual fast day – so I will swap to Tuesday/Thursday. To say I have over-indulged this weekend would be a huge understatement – so I am going to start again strictly tomorrow 🙂

weight now (4th Apr) 11st 9.5lb
    LOSS SINCE LAST WEIGH IN = ZERO
    TOTAL LOSS = 27lb

Cath x

Hi Cath,
    I look forward to your updates.Your progress is fabulous, I never expected to hear that you were in heels and dancing!Just keep reminding yourself how well you have done to lose 27 lb and to be so mobile after surgery. Well done you!

Hi Annette, thanks for your kind words. I was thrilled to have a ‘normal’ night out including a bit of a dance – at which no-one who didn’t already know me would have guessed I’d had a total hip replacement 11 weeks ago. I still have a slight limp and my knee on the operated leg is really sore – but I have a land based physio appointment this week (as opposed to the hydrotherapy) and the physio is going to concentrate on sorting that out. I do need to start thinking seriously about how to start doing some regular exercise again now that I am (almost) able.

I think I am entering the territory of a few pounds off/few pounds on week to week and I realise I need to rein in the non-fast days a bit. I am also still not working, and I have to admit when I was busy the whole fast day thing was so much easier as I didn’t have time to think about food – or any time when I was hungry to consider breaking my fast.

There’s a month now before the next big events – hubby’s 50th and my 52nd plus our 10 year wedding anniversary. I am organising a party for his 50th and then we have various meals booked to celebrate the rest plus a camping trip with friends to a food festival. So I need to buckle down and try to shed a few pounds over the coming few weeks rather than start slipping back in the other direction.

Plus I need a job – so if I can get something sooner rather than later I think that will help!

Cath x

Hi Cath, I’m so glad it’s going well for you – it must be so good to be getting back to normal again.

I know what you mean about slipping back – my weight has been up and down again but chocolates and a meal for my Birthday and a whole tub of pringles (left over from Christmas) to myself this weekend haven’t helped although I haven’t got weighed since I ate the pringles yet! I had forgotten all about the pringles in the back of the cupboard but once I remembered I couldn’t forget about them. I didn’t eat them all in one go but over a couple of days but once I’d opened them I had to have them! I was so mad with myself for opening them and just thought once they are gone, they are gone, so just eat them and get it over with.

It was six weeks on Monday to my holiday so I am now working on losing 5-6lbs to get me to 11 stone before I go.

Good luck with the job hunting. Linda

Oh dear – another week with no loss – and it is all my fault again, just overdoing the non-fast days.

Linda – you just have to move on from the Pringles (I hope there’s nothing else tasty lurking at the back of your cupboard!) – and keep going. Your holiday sounds like a great goal – and just think how fantastic it will be to get to 11 stone by then – how are you doing this week?

I have 3 weeks before my husbands 50th party and 4 before the camping trip. My poor husband has gained weight despite a week of really hard garden work – so I am trying to help him to control his calories in the coming week. I also have 2 lunches planned this week with old friends so I am going to have to fast Monday and Tuesday and then be careful when I go out Wednesday and Thursday.

I would really love to reach the 2 stone mark (11st 8.5)as I have been so near for so long – and to get to 11st 7lb would just be fantastic. I am truly not bothered about chocolate or sweet stuff (yes weird I know) so Easter doesn’t worry me other than the potential for eating too much generally.

In other news I am now officially recovered – the X-ray revealed my hip has healed well – I am still doing physio as I am not walking ‘properly’ and my knee hurts, but all that will hopefully be sorted in the next few weeks. I am delighted that it is all over 🙂

Now I just need to start exercising and get a job!!

Good luck to everyone this coming week.

I’m so pleased about your recovery Cath 😀
    You might find your knee does hurt as you have probably not been walking properly for a while, compensating for pain in your hip and putting strain on your knees. I am sure the physios will sort you out soon.
    JOB!! but the summer is coming – who wants to work then? 😛

Cath, great news about your recovery and good luck with the job hunt.

I manage to lose a pound this week despite the pringles so was happy with that. My cupboards are looking very bare at the moment but I will only be filling them with healthy stuff. My sister has started her own form of 5:2 as she puts it and has lost 10lb too so we are in competition now or should I say supporting each other?

I hope you enjoy your lunches this week. It’s great that we can move our days around without that feeling of having “blown the diet” for the week. Linda

Hey Cath,

Really glad you’re getting better and the new hip is all healed! I’ve been having beans on toast for dinner the last few days, reminds me of you!

Great news about being given the all clear x Good luck on the job hunt, been there done that etc., and you have some special events coming soon? Woohoo!

I am really inspired by your achievements and aim to start 5:2 again next Wednesday when I am back to work as I am now ON HOLIDAY, WHEEEEE!

Take care of that knee,

Aud x

Hi everyone,

Back on it today after a rather uncontrolled few days over Easter. I fasted Monday and Tuesday last week, ate out TWICE on Wednesday (but had salad and light options) and then on Thursday had a catch up lunch with old colleagues at which I was fairly good. On Friday I weighed in at 11 stone 9 – just half a pound short of the elusive 2 stone milestone!

Then it all went wrong and I just had a really indulgent weekend which involved drinking lots of beer, snacks and highly calorific food. The sacles this morning say I have regained 3lb!!

Oh well!! Just got to get back to it!

So this week I have swapped my fast days to Tues/Weds with a possibility of another on Friday. I am spending a couple of days with my parents as my dad has to have an operation on Friday and I am on driving/hospital duty. Not sure if I will get away with a fast then!

On a positive note I went through half of my summer clothes that have been packed away in storage under the bed for months – the dresses, skirts and tops. It was lovely to find that things that had been tight now look great and some things I have never worn(!) or not worn for years actually fit well. I have also been brutal and made a large pile of things that simply don’t look that great (regardless of fit) or now horror of horrors just look a bit too young for me – particularly those with low necklines. In all I think I am keeping about a quarter of what I own (gulp) and tomorrow I will take the rest to the charity shop.

Later today I will go through the other half – the trousers, jeans and shorts. I expect that as most of these are size 16 they’ll have to go too. There’s a bit of me thinking I should hold on to stuff ‘just in case’ but if I am serious about not regaining weight then I feel psychologically that they have to go…

So I need to focus myself on hitting that 2 stone lost goal – I am going to try to get there by the end of next week, just before my husband’s 50th birthday party!

Thanks for your comments Lindyw, Linda, Piper and Aud. I am still ploughing on with the exercises – and I have found that concentrating on stretching my hip and walking properly has already improved my knee a lot. I need to decide on an exercise regime really.

@linda – how are you progressing vs your sister? Are you on track for your holiday?

@piper – yup still having the beans on toast although my latest fave is smoked salmon & scrambled eggs on toast – though I don’t have this twice a week!

@Aud – I hope you’ve had a great break and you are feeing better – let us know how you do this week back on 5:2

One last thing is that I am starting to get some interest on the job front – mainly via contacts rather than from applications though. So I am hoping to be able to start something new in the next few weeks.

Good luck this week everyone.

Cath x

Hi Cath, I too had a bit of an indulgent weekend and changed my fast days to Tues and Wednesday and managed to lose another pound. 4 more to go until 11stone and 3.5 weeks to the holiday – can I manage 4lb off? I am going to be really strict with myself on non-fast days in an attempt to get there.

It’s great isn’t it when clothes you haven’t worn for ages actually fit or are too big. I’ve been having a try on too and have a couple of pairs of summer trousers that are way too big. The problem is I really like them and keep thinking that I should keep them in case I put weight back on but, like you said, I think I need to get rid of them.

I hope your Dad is ok, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you on the job front. Linda

Hi, Cathy,

Hope you don’t mind me replying to both my thread and yours; I’m not stalking you really 🙂
    How fabulous to get rid of clothes that are too big for you! WOOOHOOO! I think sometimes with clothes, you just have to be brutal x

All the best this week. For me it is really hard to stick to 5:2 when I am not in a routine, (I find it so much easier at work when snowed under) so for what it is worth, I think you are doing really well. If I won the Lotto I would be the size of a HOUSE, lol.

All the best with the job hunt, let us know how you get on?

Aud xx

PS I *love* scrambled eggs, mmmm…

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 473 total)

You must be logged in to reply.