My 16 week countdown

This topic contains 467 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 8 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 473 total)

• I forgot to say that my sister has lost 8lbs so I think I must have motivated her – or perhaps it was me giving her a pair of my trousers that were too big for me! Being twins there has always been a competitive side to us – if you can do it so can I but it is good to support each other. And, my Mum has finally noticed!! She didn’t actually say anything to me but said it to my sister after I had visited her with a Tee shirt tucked in my jeans! Linda

Just half a pound to go to get to the 2 stone mark…aargh!

starting weight (19 Aug) 13st 8.5lbs
    weight now (25th Apr) 11st 9.0lb
    TOTAL LOSS = 27.5lb

Trying to be strict this week so I can actually make it. Fasting today and Wednesday this week – and possibly another day depending how I feel.

Tomorrow and Wednesday I am on a ‘back to work ‘ course with a company who help you do your CV, mock interviews etc. Free as part of my severance package so I hope it helps as I need to start using my brain again! I also had a meeting with an agency last week who seemed very helpful – I think I just need to try a lot harder with my applications….

I also have my final physio appointment tomorrow, so I need to decide how I am going to exercise going forward. There’s a university owned gym near where I live that is open to the public and cheap so I think that has to be my starting point – I am going to talk it through with the physio tomorrow.

@linds – you sound like you are making great progress – fingers crossed for the last 4lb as you countdown to holiday mode. Didn’t realise you were a twin – I can understand the competitive dieting more! Where are you off to on your holiday? And thanks for your good wishes for my dad – he had a small operation on a skin cancer – all done in 1 day and hopefully that is the end of it. He’s a man who is never ill so I think it has knocked him a bit but it was great to be able to be there with him.

@Aud – lovely to hear from you as ever. Hope you are managing to get back in the swing – but that you are being kind to yourself! Let me know how you are doing.

So this is the week of my hubby’s 50th party – so I can imagine that the weekend may be awash with food and drink. So I am determined to do at least 2 fast days before the weekend – 3 if I can manage it!

Have a great week

Cath x

Hi Cath, I hope the back to work course is useful. Well done on the weight loss – I’m sure you can get that half pound off.

I’m off to Malta for a week – all inclusive – but hopefully if I make the right choices I won’t put too much weight on! I don’t know if I had said before that I was a twin (you forget what you have put in earlier posts). We are very close and are off to Australia in September with her husband so there is an added motivation to lose weight.

I hope you hubby (and you)enjoys his party. Linda

Another pound and a bit down – 2.6lbs to go to 11 stone – can I do before my holiday? I also got a very nice comment from someone at work today about how slim I was looking. As I walked away I also heard her say to someone else about how good | looked! I’ve also bought a pair of size 12 trousers (they are M&S stretch ones) this week as the waist, bum and legs of my size 14s are hanging off me!

No weight loss this week – but hardly surprising as it was my husband’s 50th birthday and I spent days and days cooking lots of lovely Spanish food for his party on Saturday night – and of course I managed to eat and drink a lot too! We had relatives staying all weekend too so there was no way that I could fast yesterday (my normal fast day).

This week I am fasting back to back – today (Tuesday) and tomorrow as they are the only days I can manage. Thursday is my 52nd birthday and 10th wedding anniversary and my husband is taking me out for dinner, and on Friday we are off to a food festival with friends, camping(!)for the the weekend. We go every year and there is always so much gorgeous food and drink on offer I know it will be a blowout! So from next Monday I am determined to start afresh to start shifting some pounds. On the positive side I have not gained any – I am still half a pound away from the 2 stone mark.

Hey Linda – you sound like you are doing brilliantly! So near to that 11 stone mark – I am cheering you on. And great to get the positive comments too! Malta sounds lovely – just think how great you are going to feel on your holiday šŸ™‚

Hope everyone else is getting on well.

Cath x

Feeing positive today as yesterday I decided to address my need to exercise – both to keep my new hip in good condition and hopefully to get me off this “plateau”.

I contacted the local gym (part of the uni) and went for an induction. It was great – the gym manager has sort of adopted me as her pet project and has designed a daily routine for me which I started today. 25 minutes cardio (bike & cross trainer) which nearly killed me; specific hip exercises; sit ups; some upper body/arm weights and stretching.

There are pros and cons: it is near where I live and although they have no parking available, it is a 10 minute walk each way which all adds up. It is extremely cheap – I have paid Ā£20 for a whole month off peak (10am-4pm) which is great whilst I am not working. The downside is that the University is closing the whole campus as it has been sold for a housing development so it will close forever on 27th June – so it only gives me 8 weeks – but at least it is a start!

So I will see what effect this has on my quest for weight loss…..

It sounds great Cath. Focus on the 8 weeks that you have and see what changes you can make to your body and fitness in that time.You may or may not lose weight as you build muscle BUT more muscle= more calorie burning even when you are sitting down….and it will sculpt your body, which makes you look slimmer.In terms of your overall fitness and mobility, it is win win.

I suggest that you put the scales away for the next 8 weeks and just use your clothes/tape measure.

My son and I have been going to the gym, mainly intervals on the treadmill. I haven’t lost any weight but I can run faster for longer, lost half an inch off each calf and thigh. Waist and hips are the same, but trousers are sliding down and skirts that I couldn’t do up, I now can.I have given up trying to make sense of this.

Looking forward to seeing what your experience is over the next 8 weeks.

Thanks Annette! I am always inspired by your exercise regime – it felt so good yesterday to be doing something active after so much time unable to do anything, so I am very motivated!

Today is already turning out to be a lovely day – despite the relentless Mancunian rain. This morning I hit my 2 stone loss mark after months of hovering around it (according to my chart I have been within 1lb of this since 3rd March!)

weight now (8th May) 11st 8.5lbs
    TOTAL LOSS = 28lb aka 2 STONE!!!!!

It is also my 52nd birthday and 10th wedding anniversary. And last night my husband was offered a new job (after 3 months unemployment) so he is skipping around the house with a big smile this morning šŸ™‚

I think I mentioned some time ago that 2 years ago he lost 3 stones whilst I was away in Asia for 5-6 months running a project – basically as I don’t think he really bothered cooking too much for himself. He was delighted as it took years off him and had a positive effect on his diabetes. So we duly shipped all his huge clothes off to Cancer Research and bought him a brand new wardrobe.

Well he had gained a bit at and since Xmas – and then whilst not working he has been bored, less active and eaten more. He’s been aware of this but 5:2 was too tricky for him (hard to calculate insulin dosage)so he was supposedly calorie counting, although I often spotted evidence of clandestine snacking.

His job interview was yesterday so on Tuesday night at 7.30pm he tried on his one and only suit and literally could not fasten either trousers or jacket!! So we had an emergency trip to M&S to buy a new (larger) interview suit. He was mortified. So this morning he is coming with me to the gym at 11am to have an induction as he has renewed motivation to get back to a comfortable size.

I really feel that with the exercise I can start the last ‘phase’ of my weight loss – another 16.5lb to get me to my healthy BMI weight of 10 stone 6lb.

I am having today ‘off’ job hunting as it is a special day – then tomorrow we are off to the Ludlow Food Festival – camping in a field with a group of mates for the 5th year in a row. The forecast is terrible – but it is always wet, cold and windy, we just have to be prepared!

After this I just need to get a job SOON and everything will be great.

Have a great weekend everyone

Cath x

Fantastic news Cath. WELL DONE!

My fold of fat from hip to hip has been shrinking since the 5:2, but I have just noticed that it has….gone!It must be the interval training, which has been very tough.I am thrilled, plateau or not. I just couldn’t figure out why my trousers looked and fitted so much better, when my hips and waist measurement were the same. I can wear shorter tops now too, no longer disguising/covering up that unsightly bulge.

I am thrilled for you Cath.

Hi Cath, Happy Birthday, Happy Anniversary and an enormous “well done” for getting to the 2stone mark – you must be over the moon. Good news about your hubby’s job and your new excercise regime, things are looking up all round – will be better when you get a job too.

I’ve put a pound back on – that damn yo-yo again – but I am keeping on hoping to lose a bit more before I go away. I was tempted to say sod it as I’ve only got ten days to go before I go now but no, I will carry on because even another pound off will mean less to get off when I get back!

Have a great weekend, I’m sure you will enjoy it whatever the weather. Linda

Hi everyone,

Well no further loss this week but that’s OK as I spent all last weekend at a food festival stuffing my face šŸ™‚

Best moment of the week was trying on a new top for work in Hobbs – they only had a small and an extra large and the XL looked really big. So I tried the small and it fits perfectly. I haven’t purchased anything ‘small’ since I was a teenager (let alone a top!) – I was delighted!

Linda – not sure if you have actually gone on your holiday yet or if you are travelling Sunday or Monday? How did you do this week? Hope you have a fabulous time and enjoy that feeling of being slimmer in the sun!

I have been good with the gym since joining – managed 6 times in the first week then awarded myself 2 days off and I restart tomorrow. And I might…just might have a new job. I’ll know for sure on Wednesday – I am very excited!

Cath xx

Great achievement after a weekend at a food festival.
    A ‘small’ in Hobbs? That is extraordinary, did you skip all the way home?

Fingers crossed for the potential new job. New hip, new body, new exercise regime.
    Go girl!

Thanks Annette!

Well it is a fine knit jumper which the assistant did say was designed to be “slouchy” but it is fitted on me and looks nice so I certainly felt like skipping!

I have ALWAYS had a large bust, which is usually what precludes wearing anything nice and I think it makes me look bigger anyway. I’ve been a 36FF for the last 15 years or so – but I do seem to be losing at least a bit, although I think some of the change in shape has more to do with the menopause.

You’d think a 2 stone would make a big difference, but really all that has happened is that my bras fit better. All apart from the moulded T-shirt type bras that are now WAY too big and will have to go.

But I am feeling really good – and if I get this job I will be on cloud 9.

Anyway off to the gym now!

Cath x

The challenge of a large bust, is just that, a challenge.You have my sympathy, I am right there with you.You should feel good, 2 stone is a hell of a lot to shed, even if you cannot yet see the difference to your bust….yet.

Enjoy the gym.

Hi Cathy,

So sorry that I’ve been tardy about keeping in touch, it’s been a really busy fortnight, but I have to tell you something before I forget (do you know what it is like?)

Is your birthday on the 8th May? MINE TOO! WOOOHOOOO! I was always so proud to share my birthday with David Attenborough (whom I’ve always had a massive crush on) and now Cathyork šŸ™‚

Secondly, CONGRATULATIONS on your two stone! AND a *small* from Hobbs, YESSSSSSS!! (I am also cursed with a too-big bust for my frame – since age 11, if I had the money, truly, it would have it ‘done’). Fingers and toes crossed for that job, or the next one, you will rock them! Happy 10th Anniversary and well done on your gym journey. Sorry to hear your Uni.. I know we shouldn’t give up personal details, but I’m curious to know which one – I also work at a Uni (with a fantastic sports park, that I don’t use as I never have the time, lol) and I have to say, business is booming – at the moment at least.

Enjoy Malta, Linda (how lovely) and well done on your shrinking self, Annette

All the best, everyone! Aud xx

Hi Aud,

Wow what a coincidence – well a very Happy belated Birthday for 8th – I hope you had a lovely time.

The sports centre is part of a campus for MMU (Manchester Metropolitan University). MMU is mostly in the city centre but this is an old suburban campus that until now catered for trainee teachers and social workers. The uni applied to expand but locals (not me I may add) objected – so now the whole campus is closing and relocating and the sports centre, which has always been open to the public, is closing on 27th June. It is a real shame – not least as the other local gym options are crazily expensive. However, I am trying to get there daily at the moment until I get a job or it closes – whichever comes sooner šŸ™‚

I have a job “interview” on Weds morning – for a Project Manager contract role with a large Bank. It is with 2 American guys and is an “informal” breakfast meeting at 7:30am!! I am v nervous but have a smart new outfit and am just trying to keep calm. As far as I know I am the only candidate – and they want a speedy start – so it is mine to lose I think! No pressure there. I also had a couple of other agencies after me last week – after weeks of silence – so I am hopeful of having a job of some sort within the next couple of weeks.

It will be good to get the old grey matter moving again. Between the scrapping of my last project, redundancy, and my hip replacement op – it is now over 6 months since I last did any work!!

My husband started his new job this morning – after 3 months of being home with me. He was also v excited and I am so pleased for him.

I am fasting today and tomorrow this week (as I guess I’ll have to eat some breakfast on Wednesday!). How are you getting on with it?

Cath xx

Good Luck for Wednesday and enjoy wearing the smart new outfit.Fingers crossed.

Thanks Annette – turned out that the interview was brought forward to yesterday afternoon (so at least I didn’t have to eat breakfast whilst being interviewed!) – seemed to go well. I will find out today. Fingers crossed šŸ™‚

Cath x

Fingers still crossed. Any news?

Hi Annette,

Yes I am delighted to say that I got the job! I am so so pleased and ready to get started – I will start on 2nd June! šŸ™‚

Cath x

Hi Cath,
    WELL DONE! That is fabulous news.

I am very pleased for you and your husband with his job too.Wonderful.

Thanks Annette you are very kind – I am delighted that things are working out so well – and relieved that I won’t have to keep spending my redundancy money on living expenses..

Weight-wise I have had another week of staying the same. Although most of the week I have been really good, we did go out to celebrate on Wednesday night and I had a few beers which I’m sure undid much of my good in fasting. But I will keep going – there’s always next week!

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new pair of jeans with some birthday money – and went for a size 14 from Next. Although they looked quite nice on, I realised I could actually take them off without undoing them so my husband suggested I didn’t wear them immediately and try a size 12 – which seemed crazy! So the next time I passed Next I bought a 12 and brought them home – and they do fit. The only issue is the roll of fat or “muffin top” that hangs over the waistband.

Now I remember posting something on this thread before during the transition from a 16 to a 14 – I’ve just had a look and that was on 8th November. So it has taken 6 months + to drop a size but I am delighted it has happened, however slowly. The 14s have been returned for a refund and the 12s are in my drawer just waiting for a few more pounds to drop off. If it was winter I could get away with wearing a long jumper over them, but I am still too podgy round the middle to do that with lighter clothes. It is a real incentive though – I reckon maybe 4-5 more pounds should do it. šŸ™‚

Cath x

Congratulations on the size 12’s.A great incentive. I have some size 12 white jeans that need less muffin top too!

CONGRATULATIONS, Cathy!
    On the job AND on the size 12 from NEXT ~ wooohoooo!!!! It’s all happening in your family šŸ™‚

::Aud boogies for Cathy::

Aud x

PS I’m doing okay I think, was 5:2 for two weeks and lost nothing the first week and maybe a pound the second. Doing 4:3 this week (which has gone well) as going for a belated birthday meal tomorrow.. I can feel the pounds going back on already, lol

Hi kathyork, I am 68 and I thought people who jeans must be mad because I had tried a few pairs over my life time of losing weight, this time after losing 3 stone I went shopping with my sister who had also lost 2 stone and she is 9 years older than me. She was going on a coach trip for the weekend. We went into a shop called Bon March she picked up a size 16 and just to be able to go into the changing room with her I picked up a size 14, hers was to big and so was mine so I give the 14’s to her to try on and I in what must have sounded rather very pleased with myself asked the assistant if she could get a 12’s in it. My sister and I giggled like teenagers. Now I have a 2 pairs in blue, 1 in brown, 1 in black and 1 in white. even one in a size 10’s now I never thought I would be writing this little tale. Happy fasting. JIP

Hi Cath, Congratulations on the new job – well done you!! And well done with the Jeans – you will be in the size 12s before long.

I had a great time in Malta and put 6lbs on – that was trying to be sensible so who knows what I would have put on if I had thrown caution to the wind!! It did feel good to be slimmer than when I was away last year though.

Anyway I am pleased to say I have already lost 2.5lbs since I got back – now got to get back on track – only 3 months to Australia.

I too have a large bust – 38DD which doesn’t seem to be getting any smaller. I am finding now that tops are too big on the shoulders but I still need bigger sizes or they pull across my chest.

Hi everyone,

I have weighed myself a day early this week and have lost half a pound – so down to 11 stone 8lb overall. It is cheating slightly as after being really good all week our best friends are treating us to a slap up meal tonight – at the restaurant of one of the chefs from “The Great British Menu”, so I suspect the scales may not look so good tomorrow! It is a really generous gift and a lovely way to celebrate 2 birthdays, a 10 year wedding anniversary, and 2 new jobs! So I shan’t hold back šŸ™‚ But I will get back on it with some lighter days over the weekend.

It is lovely to almost fit into size 12 jeans – the fact they are in my drawer waiting for me to shed my muffin top is actually rather motivational! I have been getting to the gym as often as I can – although I’ve had a few work-related things to do prior to my new job starting on Monday 2nd – and I am starting to feel fitter and find the exercises gradually easier.

Thanks for all the good wishes about my new job. I’m sure I’ll be exhausted once I start after 6 months of not working, but I am looking forward to getting my brain going again. I am hoping life will be easier as a contractor – with a lot less travelling and absolutely no limping – the start of a whole new chapter! My husband now tells me he has a 5 year plan to get everything paid off and start thinking seriously about retirement..

@jipwgp – well done on the smaller jeans and that shopping trip with your sister sounds like great fun. It is great when you need a SMALLER size – it feels almost unbelievable at the time but is a result of a lot of tenacity!

@Aud – hope the belated birthday meal was lovely – how are you getting on now?

@linds – so glad you had a great time in Malta – I was thinking about you rather jealously as the weather in Manchester has been cold and wet in the main. Do you know what – I think the best part of 5:2 is that you can deviate when you want to (holidays etc.) but then you know exactly what to do to get back on track (on previous diets that’s the point I’d have given up and started gaining again!). And a loss of 2.5lb already is amazing!

Cath x

Hi Cath, it sounds like a great way to celebrate to me – I’m sure you will have a great time.

I was going to say before when you said you were from Manchester that I live in Blackburn so we are not so far away.

Good luck on Monday! Linda

Have had a pretty good week despite deviating from my fasting pattern. I ended up starting work on Tuesday instead of Monday (something to do with contracts) so I managed to do a normal fast day Monday. But then spent the first 3 days at work alongside my new boss – and I felt unable to say that I didn’t want lunch at all so I stuck to light salads with no added carbs. Then on Friday I had a new team member starting so I had to take him to lunch.

On the positive side I dropped another half a pound overall:
    weight now (6th June) 11st 7.5lbs
    TOTAL LOSS = 29lb or 2 stone 1lb

so I am feeling pretty good about that.

Clothes-wise I am also feeling good as I managed to wear my size 12 jeans (with a baggy T-shirt as the muffin top is still in evidence)! Then I went shopping to get some summer tops to replace all the things I sent to the charity shop and found that everything I tried on was far too large. I automatically picked up 16/18s or XLs as I’ve been that size on top for at least the last 5 years, I was astonished to find that in most places I now seem to be a size 14 or a medium. I even bought one size 12! And the size 14 trousers of my new work suit are most definitely getting baggy

I am really motivated to continue, although I suspect that the next couple of weeks at work won’t be easy – but I am determined just to decline lunch Monday and Wednesday when I have meetings starting around 1pm anyway. I did get to the gym on Monday but not since so I need to start trying to go in the evening instead as it was really helping.

@linds – how are you doing since the holiday

@Aud – how are you getting on

Hope everyone is doing really well.

Cath x

Hi Cath, I’m happy to say I have lost 5 of the 6lbs I put on in Malta – must have been water (or alcohol!). Hopefully it won’t be too long before I get to 10 stone (and under). I am still eating too many snacks on non-fast days though so have to get out of that habit. The problem is that fruit, carrots (the healthy stuff) doesn’t have the same appeal as a bar of chocolate!

Glad the job’s going ok – it’s hard enough getting to grips with a new job without having to think about what you can and can’t eat. Linda

Oh, Cath, WELL DONE! You now weigh less than me and I think you are good few inches taller, you must look a knockout in all your new togs šŸ™‚

I think you’ve done especially well considering your new job too – GO CATH!!
    I hope you manage to fit in the gymn sessions, I’d find that really hard.

And well done, Linds for shedding almost all of the holiday weight, I can only dream of being 10 stone and under ::cheers you on::

I’m just bumping along – I was sticking to the fast days, doing alternative 5:2 and 4:3 (fellow colleagues just cannot believe I go all day without eating) and not losing. I tried ADF last week and lost 2lb… then promptly put it on again on Saturday after a lunch out – not an especially big meal, just one with chips! Arrgh. Trying ADF again this week.

Aud x

Happy this week as I have lost 2lb! I am amazed – as I have had nowhere near this loss for weeks – but I did do 2 really good fast days. I explained to my new team on Monday that this is what I do. They were intrigued but respectful so I am pleased I told them. So:

weight now (13th June) 11st 5.5lbs
    TOTAL LOSS = 31lb or 2 stone 3lb

I also measured my waist for the first time in months and I have lost another inch -overall I’ve lost 6.5 inches (I have a very thick waist!) – still 2 inches to lose before my waist is half my height.

Linda – that’s great that you have lost most of the Malta weight! Like Aud I can only dream of being 10 stone and under šŸ™‚ I am sure you’ll do it and Australia is a real goal. How is your sister getting on?

Aud – how are you doing? Are you seeing better results from 4:3? I am thinking of getting back into a bit of 4:3 next week -as I now feel I stand a chance of getting under 11 stone in the near future. Looking at my chart I realise I’ve been under 12 stone since the first week of February – so it has taken me 18 weeks to lose 6.5 lbs. Not great – but I feel I need to step things up a bit. Hope you are still sticking with it.

Cath xx

Cath,
    Well done on the weight loss to date as well as the new job.You must be thrilled.

Perhaps focus on all that you have achieved and pat yourself on the back….rather than the time that it has taken to lose those lbs.Think about all that fat that has gone to lose those inches.

It will go, just never as quickly as we would like(3 month plateau to date).

Hi cath, well done on the weight loss – wow 31lb!!. I’ve not lost anymore despite having a good week last week. On the plus side I saw a friend I had not seen for ages who immediately commented on my loss and said I looked good. My sister seems to have slowed down too at the moment but we are both trying hard!!

Hi Audrich – I seem to be the same, a couple of pounds off and then on again. There’s some weeks where I think I surely must have lost something and then, no, nothing. It makes me a bit fed up sometimes but then I think of the weight I have already lost and the health benefits. I am due for my annual health check in August and can’t wait to see my cholesterol results. I’ve been on statins for about 3 years and really hope I can come off them. How are you finding ADF? I think I may have to give it a go.

Linda

Hi Cath, hope the job is going well.

Just wanted to let you know I have lost 1.6lbs this week. Still not down to 11stone yet and really only lost 1 lb in 6 weeks due to the holiday and weight just going up and down.

I was wondering about cutting down on the alcohol but I didn’t drink much for 3 weeks when my sister was in Australia 3 years ago and it didn’t make any difference. I know that was only for 3 weeks but I only go out Friday and Saturday and want to be sociable. Saying that, I am trying to include the calories I drink in my calculations. I have had the odd night out when I have drunk soft drinks due to being on medication and it’s not enjoyable!!

Sorry for having a bit of a moan – hope you (and Audrich) are getting along ok with your weight loss. Linda

Well, I think you all deserve a big well done.

Linds, you are so close to that 11stone, I really wish you well on passing that milestone (and I can relate on the alcohol front – I drink to combat work-generated stress).

I find ADF absolutely fine during the week. Weekends can be tricky depending on what I am doing for my family – this weekend was a BBQ for Dad’s Day which was out of my ADF sequence, so I just started again on Monday. I have found that I get full, very, very quickly after quite small amounts of food. Like you, I just try to grit my teeth through this plateau and concentrate on the weight I have lost and am keeping off.

Annette, my plateau is also about 3 months in too, grr.

Cathy, another well done for you and your shrinking waistline! Today I wore a size 14 skirt which I bought by accident last year. I only realised the mistake when I got home but I loved the colour (rrrrrred) so much I couldn’t bear to take it back. It now fits! (Though I’m still a size bigger ‘up top’)

So I keep going!

Good luck to all
    Aud xx

Hi everyone,

Stayed the same this week, so nothing exciting to report. I know it is because I undo the good work of fasting at the weekends when I go out so I am thinking about a new strategy. I think it has to be 4:3 and a lot more exercise as I so look forward to the weekends (especially now I am back at work) and I don’t want to give up my treats, especially the beer and wine šŸ™‚

One new thing is that I finally joined a ‘proper’ gym – it’s a local Virgin Active, expensive (though not as much as I’d feared) and I got the joining fee and first month free. I have to do this to get into shape. I went to the local uni gym a lot in May and I can really see a difference – particularly in muscle tone in my arms and legs (though they are still horribly flabby!) but I haven’t been since 2nd June (the day before I started work) and it is closing for good next week so I needed to find an alternative. So I am determined to get there 3-4 times a week. I’ll let you know how I get on..

Linda – I think you are doing really well! I know that you want it to be quicker but you’ve done really well shedding the holiday weight and more besides. 11stone is well within reach šŸ™‚

Aud – brilliant on the size 14 skirt. I am still getting my head around no longer being a 16/18 or extra large and it is a nice feeling. Not sure I could do ADF – but I am going to attempt 4:3 this week – Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Annette – really hope the plateau comes to an end soon. The great thing is you keep going!

I have to say I am really motivated (just as much as ever after 10 months) but not as strict as I was so that’s got to change. I am setting myself a goal of getting under 11 stone by the 1st anniversary of starting 5:2, which is on 19th August.

Onwards and downwards!

Cath xx

Hi Cath,
    Week 14 of this wretched plateau, but just another 2 weeks to go until the end of term.Then I will be able to swim twice week on a fast day for 8 weeks, which surely must make a difference? Eleven weeks until the Half, so I should be at the gym x3 times a week and plus one long run, on the down side I will no-longer be walking for 1.5 hours x5 days a week.I shall have to think about that and make some other changes to compensate.

Well done Cath. Don’t let the tyranny of the scales rule your life.

Hi Annette,

I know it must be dispiriting to be “stuck” but I think you have achieved so much – your running puts my feeble gym work to shame! And exercise is really a big part of you life now which is really important.

On my way to work the other day I was listening to Radio 4 and a doctor was saying that even just standing up to work for part of each day has massive health benefits. When I was working on my last project in Sweden they all had height adjustable desks as standard and frequently worked at their PCs whilst standing. Whilst it did look odd, apparently it was doing them all good. I know in my job I sit down hunched over a computer 90% of the time so I am going to try to move more. And hopefully my gym routine will start to pay off too.

I am fairly relaxed about my weight really – I am definitely not gaining, which is great, but I would really like to get to ‘normal’ BMI, not least as my mum developed type 2 diabetes in her 60s and I am the same apple shape as her. I reckon I have come this far so I may as well complete the job! And I know also that it is my weekend treats that sabotage any greater losses that I’ve had of late. So I am just going to try to get back to my stricter routine of the first 3 months of 5:2 – at least for a while…

Let’s hope the plateu ends soon!

Cath x

Hi Cath,
    I am sort of used to being stuck on a plateau. I am hoping that swimming and carefully watching what I scoff on non fast days will help in some inches sliding off the hips…that would be lovely.

I can’t say that I enjoy the gym, but we have a 12 week regime to follow to hopefully improve my speed. I have been thinking about learning to do press ups. I have weedy upper body strength as many women do, but getting stronger arms would help with running and just help with life as I get older. The adage of ‘use it or lose it’ seems apt when referring to muscle mass.The fact that more muscle would burn more calories has not gone unnoticed either!

You have done so well pre-op and post-op, but like you, I want to finish the job too.Hopefully we will both have good news over the coming weeks.

Thanks Cath and Audrich for your words of encouragement. I’ve given myself a talking to and am getting on with it. Like you Cath I think I undo the good work of fasting by what I do at the weekends but I don’t really want to give up my beer either.

I think what is getting to me is the Australia holiday – I need to lose some more because of what I will put on when I am away for 3 weeks (if I put 6lb on in a week will I put 18lb on in 3? – no, surely not!!) My sister thinks I am ok as I am now but,like you Cath, I also want to get to a normal BMI which means me getting to 10 stone 5lbs.

I have invested in a Vibrapower disc – well, my sister got herself one and ordered one for me too as she knew I would want one if she had one. So, for the last few weeks I’ve been on that rather than my usual excercise equipment that I have at home (abs machine and stepper). If you don’t know what a Vibrapower disc is it’s a machine that you stand or sit on to do excercises while it vibrates and works your muscles. You can do a full body work out in 10 minutes. I’m only on the beginners level but there are 2 more levels, various speeds and resistance bands to use. I might have a go with the bands on this week. I think I can see a slight difference in my muscle tone, I’m not sure it’s actually an aid to weight loss but if I can tone up that will be ok.

Good luck this wee everyone, Linda

So good to see everyone doing well.

I’m officially giving up, at least for a while. After 2, 3 weeks on ADF, I’ve actually put ON weight. I’m watching my TDEE and keeping a food diary, weighing food out and so on. My cals are averaging just over 1000 per day!

I’m just exhausted by this. I’m under so much stress at work, it is almost unbearable and I think this is the root cause of my inability to lose. I cannot sleep through worry and stress, I’m replacing all my food cals on feed days with alcohol and I am really on the edge. I have no time to exercise, as I am taking so much work home. I sit hunched at a PC (or running around panicking) all day then sit hunkered over my home PC in the evening. Nothing will happen as regards my weight until my work life changes and there’s nothing occurring about that anytime soon! My dentist has warned me that all the Diet Coke I’m drinking (on fast days) is wrecking not only my teeth but my gums.

Cathy, I will however, ask for a height-adjustable desk as I prefer to work standing up. You never know; maybe that will help, hopefully something positive will come out of it all! (if I get one… maybe not with all the expenditure cutbacks).

I wish everyone all the best and I hope no-one minds if I pop back now and then to say hi šŸ™‚

Aud xx

Haven’t posted for a while as not too much to report. I appear to have stabilised at 11 5.5, and I feel thinner – so I am trying to capitalise by doing 4:3 and getting to the gym as much as I can. To be honest I am so tired working, that apart from going to the gym, I just flop down each evening and I am in bed by 10pm – this is not like me, as I am normally such a night owl! Maybe partly as I am running a project about which I have no real knowledge (IT infrastructure – yeah, me neither!)so it is a bit stressful – and it is an hour’s drive each way, and I start at 7.30am.

I really want to get under 11 stone by my anniversary of starting, which is 6 weeks from now, so in theory I can do it – it would be amazing to be 10 stone something for the first time in years!

On the positive side I am now a size 14 top & dress size (previously an 18), despite bra size not really changing, and my size 12 jeans fit (previously a 16)though the muffin top is still lingering. Oh and the leg is pretty good too. The dispenser in my local opticians has had the same op – about a month earlier than me so we were comparing notes on Saturday (though he is 15 years younger than me!) and it was good to know that he has the same issues of muscle weakness, and that is normal. It is nearly 6 months since my op – hard to believe really!

Aud – I am worried about you petal – you sound so stressed. Just try to look after yourself a bit more. I know it is easy to say but no job is worth that kind of stress. I really hope things ease off and you feel better soon.

Annette – I know you are still plugging away and I am still in awe of your fitness

Linda – I hope it is going well and you are on a downward trajectory in the lead up to Australia (when do you go?)

Hope everyone is doing well. Will try to check in weekly and shed that last 5.5lb before 19th August…

Cath xx

Hi Aud,

Our paths haven’t crossed very much recently. So sorry to hear that work is causing you such grief. I remember being in a job I loathed – my first teaching job at a not very nice comprehensive – for which I still had to work hard evenings and weekends, while also keeping out of the way of the headmaster who was constantly on my case. Fortunately, my head of department was very supportive, saying that it was the head who had the problem, not me. I remember the horrible feeling that started to descend on me around mid-afternoon every Sunday. I get the impression you haven’t always disliked your job but something has gone seriously amiss, to such an extent that it’s making you ill. I do hope there’s some way of improving things.

I think you are right to put 5:2 on the back burner for a while. It must be so disheartening to be gaining weight instead of losing it, especially on 1000 cals a day. I do sympathise with the plateau. I was stuck on one for five months even though I was doing everything right, most of the time anyway. The weight only started to slide downwards when for some unknown I went off carbs at lunchtime. For 5 months now I’ve been eating sandwich fillings of salad and lean protein without the bread. I tend to keep away from the scales as I think I may be plateau-ing again, although at a lower weight. Still, the clothes are hanging very nicely.

Hope you get your height-adjustable desk. You may have seen reports – there are plenty online – of how, in terms of calorie expenditure, standing for three hours a day every day for a year is the equivalent of running 10 marathons in the same space of time.

I agree absolutely with everything Cathy says.

Hermaj xx

Hi Cath, I have only lost another 1lb – now 11 stone 1.6lbs. Like you I do feel thinner and lighter and a few different people have commented that I have lost weight. My sister thinks I have lost enough but I need to get to 10 stone 5lb to be at my ideal BMI which is my aim. I would still love to be under 11 stone before I go to Australia which is 8 weeks away on Saturday. Looks like we have the same goals! Looking at what I am eating I am still doing too much snacking. It’s mostly in the evening when I am bored, not hungry. I’ve always known I don’t eat because I’m hungry but I am a bit of an all or nothing girl – once I’ve started I can’t stop so it’s better not to start at all. The problem is the voice in my head that says “go on, just have one, go on just have another”.

Sorry you are finding your new job stressfull, I hope it gets better. How is your hubby doing with his new job?

Good luck with losing the 5.5lb. Linda

Feeling pleased this week as I have lost 1lb which seems like a big deal. Mind you I did 3 strict fast days and went to the gym 3 times!

weight now (11th July) 11st 4.5lbs
    TOTAL LOSS = 32lb or 2 stone 4lb

So 4.5 lb to go to get under the next barrier (11 stone), hopefully by my 1 year anniversary of starting in 5 weeks time.

Well done Linda – I think our goals are pretty much identical – my BMI should be 25/normal @ 10 stone 6. You are so close to getting into the 10s – I am cheering you on from the sidelines. And I don’t think you’ll necessarily gain loads more on holiday in Australia. But you know if you do that you can shift it again pretty easily. I seem to have done that several times (last year’s hols, Xmas, my operation, a week away in March) – if I add it up that is 8 weeks out of the last 47 that I wasn’t doing 5:2 and gained weight I had to re-lose. Makes me realise how brilliant this is as a way of controlling weight.

And Annette – really sorry to hear on your other thread that you are struggling. I think it just happens from time to time and you have to shake things up. When I look at my progress in the first few months (when I was totally sedentary) compared to now when I am pain free and doing lots of exercise, my current rate of loss seems ridiculously slow. I am just going to try to go back to basics, add an extra fast day here and there and try extra hard. I know you are trying lots of different approaches so I hope you find something that works for you.

Have a great week everyone

Cath xx

Well done to you too Cath. I know what you mean when you say it seems like a big deal. Sometimes I think I have tried my hardest and then realised that if I hadn’t had such and such I would probably have lost more (or something come to that). I look at what I have lost over the last few weeks and it is slow going but I am determined to get there. I know what I need to do and I didn’t think it would be easy anyway so I have to try harder.

My sister and I have been talking (a lot) about Australia and I think because we are both trying to lose weight it might be easier than when I went to Malta with my friend. Hope you have a great week too. Linda xx

Hi Cathyork

I answered your greeting on THE LOACA thread some time after you posted so I don’t know if you saw it….
    I saw Aud’s last post and want to leave a message for her here as I’m not sure if she is still maintaining her own thread.

Hi Aud

Iā€™m not surprised you are giving up being on the FD if you are getting no results especially when you have been trying so hard. You just donā€™t need that extra stress in your life right now.

Except I fear you might have been trying too hard Aud; going down to 1,000 calories a day is probably not enough to get your system going and is possibly lowering your metabolic rate which is the last thing you want to do.
    Even on Mimiā€™s FBD; she only advocates going down to 1200-2000 per day on non-fast days and that is called ā€˜boot campā€™ for the FD.

The rational I have just given there can sound like a lot of excuse making but once at Weight Watchers my friend was ill all week and couldnā€™t keep most of her food down; she was really looking forward to being weighed because she was expecting a much greater weight loss.
    She GAINED weight that week! The next week when she was well, she was back to eating her usual allowance and lost weightā€¦.

Anyways, whatever; I think you are right to just put trying to lose weight out of your mind altogether until the rest of your life calms down.
    Did you read the last post I left you on YOUR thread? You never responded to it so I donā€™t know.
    I mentioned some flower remedies – do take the time to read what I said. They may really help you or they may not; but it cannot do you any harm to try.

I also posted to you about stress and cortisol and it effectively stopping you from losing weight full stop.
    Your job sounds horrendous; no-one should suffer from that much stress at work.
    Can you not find another much less stressful occupation? I donā€™t mean that to sound glib; I know the economic climate is terrible in terms of jobs and cuts etc but taking work home and continuing the stress at home where you are meant to be able to relax after doing your days workā€¦ā€¦.

Not being able to sleep for worry; that is just not acceptable.
    Why donā€™t you go to your doctor and get a nice long sick note from him or do you feel you could not do that to other colleagues perhaps?
    (Obviously I donā€™t know anything about your work situation other than what you have just posted but honestly that is enough!).
    Iā€™m an extremely conscientious person in ā€˜real lifeā€™ and normally wouldnā€™t suggest this type of solution but desperate means call for desperate measuresā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..
    Get your husband to come along with you for moral support if necessary.

NO job is worth making yourself ill for Aud; no matter what your circumstances are.

Please let us know how you are doing; on your own thread perhaps!

Best Wishes
    PreciousBooBooxx

Hi Cath,
    You are doing well and 32 lbs is an impressive loss. I see that it is your one year fast diet anniversary in just over 4 weeks. Do you have any plans to celebrate all that you have achieved?

Quickly jumping on to raise three cheers for Cathy – I’m sure you’ll be under 11 stone in no time.

I haven’t been following the FD for a while, although making sure I have one day of fasting, usually Weds. Although stressed and busy, I’m still keeping my weight within 2lbs of when I stopped the FD. Next week I have my first break since Easter and I’m taking the whole family+charabanc to Whitby… wooo hoo! No dieting will occur, but once I’m back I’ve already resolved to jump back in the saddle.

Thanks to all for your encouraging words; it’s been a long haul, I’m stressed to pieces but now I’m ON HOLIDAY!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

All the best to those FD-ers this coming week,
    Aud

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 473 total)

You must be logged in to reply.