My 16 week countdown

This topic contains 467 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 7 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 473 total)

• Hi Cath,
    That all sounds very sensible and although it is important to have goals, it’s not the end of the world not to be a certain weight by a certain date.

Although I completely understand that this goal was to aid recovery post-surgery.

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you that you reach 12 stone by the 10th.

However long it takes, we both know that this way of life is something that we can maintain and we shall also be in even better shape next Christmas.

Do keep us posted on how it all goes.

Also still cheering for you Cath!!

I know Nika – thanks – and I am still cheering for you (good this isn’t it?)

SO – after saying yesterday that I had 12 days to go, I received a call from the surgeon’s secretary to say that all ops on 14th had to be cancelled as his father died at Xmas and that is the day of the funeral. It threw me completely as I have been so focussed on counting down to this date, and I felt really sorry for myself – and then I felt really guilty as the poor guy has lost his dad!

Anyway I have now heard that they’ve managed to rearrange all the operations planned for the 14th to the 18th! It means some rearranging of care arrangments when I come out (basically my husband and parents) but at least it is not a really long wait (and I still feel really selfish typing this!).

So I am now back to a 2 week countdown. I did my first post Xmas fast yesterday (Thursday) knowing I had gained over the holidays and I am doing another today. Yesterday’s fast was horrendous – I was absolutely starving and had to force myself to get through to the evening where I must confess I probably ate more than 500 calories – but I reckon at least it is better than not doing it at all.

I hate fasting on Fridays as psychologically it is the start of the weekend but we will be having a quiet weekend anyway as we are a bit partied out and my husband has just stated a week of strong antibiotics and can’t drink so I am abstaining in moral support.

And just reading that last paragraph makes me sound like a really heavy drinker! We usually enjoy a few beers at the weekend and I also occasionally drink wine (my husband doesn’t) but we don’t usually drink at all during the week. Xmas has been so full of social events – having people to stay and staying with friends in London – that we have drank WAY more than normal.

The scales this morning, my normal weigh in day, reveal a gain of 3lb overall, which I think is 80% alcohol as I really reined in my eating (!) Oh well!

starting weight (19 Aug) 13st 8.5 lbs
    weight now (3rd Jan) 12st 4.5lb
    GAIN (last 3 weeks) = 3.0lb
    TOTAL LOSS = 18.0lb
    ORIGINAL GOAL WEIGHT(14th Jan) = 11st 10.5lbs which is another 8.0lbs

Realistically I do not expect to lose 8lb in 2 weeks. What I am going to do is do the 4:3 for the next 2 weeks to try to get as near to the 12 stone mark as I can prior to the op.

So – NEW GOAL WEIGHT (now 18th Jan) = 12 stone

Then I’ll cut some slack for a couple of weeks and get back on it when I am out of hospital and feeling more ‘normal’.

Will keep you posted!

Hi Cath,

Thanks for your message, I’m back online and will reply in a moment but wanted to check how you were doing first x
    How stressy that your op date has been moved, we’re waiting to hear about my kidlet (just a routine foot op) so I sympathise. Nerves of steel!
    I put on 3lb too ~ arrgh! Ach well, we start again and I think all your goals are realistic and my goodness, you’ve lost nearly a stone-and-a-half in only four months, that’s fantastic! I like Annette’s view that we’ll all be in better shape by next Christmas 🙂

Take care of yourself (and hope your hubby feels better too)
    Aud x

Thanks Aud!

Having a weird week really. Fasted yesterday and today I have had to travel to Nottingham (my nearest company office) to hand in all my IT kit, mobile, badge etc. and that’s me done! So decided to fast today too as a lot of the day is taken up driving and no sensible eating opportunities. Doing OK so far. I’m determined to do 3 days this week so if I manage to get through today I’ll do either Wednesday or Thursday and hopefully have a nice weekend.

Hope everyone else is having a good week. I’ve learned that it is almost as tough re-starting after a break as it was at the very start – but I know it will get easier 🙂

Sorry your op has been moved Cathy, it must be so frustrating for you. Good luck with it anyway.

I too had a goal to get down to 11.5lb before Christmas but didn’t manage it. I had got down to 11.10lb – but ended up putting 5lb on!!

I was back on the plan yesterday and am looking forward to getting myself back on track. It was so easy to go off the rails just because it was Christmas!!

Good luck, Linds, thank goodness Christmas is behind us (and hopefully we’ll all be in much better shape by the next one!)

Aud x

Good luck with your 4:3, Cathy.. am currently debating whether I should 4:3 this week… I have until tomorrow morning to decide…

Aud x

Linds and Aud,

I have done 4:3 and even ADF a couple of times over the last eight weeks and it is really not so tricky. The beauty of ADF is that on the non-fasting days you can really eat as much and what you like!

With ADF you do not have to watch your calories on non-fasting days! I have just finished reading the book “The Every Other Day Diet”, by Dr Krista Varady, who has been quoted by Michael in his book and she clearly states that there is no limit on your non-fasting days as long as you stick to every other day fasting.

It worked beautifully for me as there were days where I knew that I would completely go overboard with food. (Goose dinner for xmas is not exactly a slimmer)

So good luck with it!
    Stef.

Hi Linds, Aud and Stef,

Yes I was a bit frustrated about my op being delayed but it is only 4 days later so not the end of the world. So only 9 days left and I am now completely finished work so I am just doing lots of domestic stuff and working on my CV. I am also planning to do some cooking for the freezer as I’ll be reliant on my husband cooking when I am immobile – and I think if I don’t do some healthy “ready meals” I’ll be eating my tea at 10pm!

This week’s fasts are definitely getting easier – going for the 4:3 to try to get to that 12 stone target by the end of next week – my last pre-op weigh in will be Friday 17th.

Fasted Monday and Tuesday without any issues. Yesterday met my ex-boss for lunch and had a “less than 500 calorie” Leggera pizza at Pizza Express – a pizza with the centre removed and replaced by salad. it sounds crazy but actually it was lovely and really filling. I then just had soup for tea (whilst my husband tucked into a huge bowl of pasta) as I was still full!. Doing my 3rd fast today. I feel MUCH better already – although the first few fasting days after Xmas I found extremely difficult. Definitely back in the groove now….will post up results tomorrow after my weekly weigh in.

Oh and Stef – did you see the articles in The Times last Saturday about Krista Varady? You can probably still get it online.

Cath x

Hi All, I’m delighted to report that I’ve lost the 5lb I put on over Christmas! I had hoped for a couple of pounds but this is great and means I can get right back on track and pick up where I left off.

Stef, I think I would try ADF if the weekend wasn’t included!

Linda

Wow Linds that’s fantastic – well done you!

And I agree – ADF sounds great but it is much less flexible to have to fast every 2nd day. But I’d be interested to see how anyone following gets on.

Cath x

Now only 8 days to my (slightly revised) operation date of 18th January.

Since I weighed in last week I fasted Friday – and then I have fasted 3 days this week – Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Yesterday was especially hard for some reason but I got through it in the end.

Anyway – it has worked and I have lost 3lb – so back to my pre-Xmas weight! I am really delighted – and makes the possibility of getting to 12 stones before my op doable, although I will still do 4:3 next week if at all possible.

weight now (10th Jan) 12st 1.5lb
    LOSS THIS WEEK = 3.0lb
    TOTAL LOSS = 21.0lb
    GOAL WEIGHT PRIOR TO OP (17th Jan) = 12 stone which is another 1.5lbs
    ULTIMATE GOAL = 10 stone (perhaps by the summer)

I also finished work this week – official redundancy kicks in at the end of the month – so I have spent some time planning ahead. I will weigh in again next Friday (17th) when I am hoping to have reached my 12 stone goal. After that I am not planning to have lost any more for a few weeks as I’ll be in hospital/recuperating etc. So I have set a target of a 1lb loss by Friday 7th Feb (4 weeks away) and then I’ll get back on it properly until I reach my target. And hopefully from March/April I’ll be able to exercise again 🙂

Well done Cath! I’ve set myself a goal of 10.5 stone before I go on holiday which is, hopefully, at the beginning of May. Linda

Thanks Linda – I think you are doing really well, so roll on (or off) 10.5 stones!

Cath x

Linds and Cath

just wanted to say a big well done to you both!!

Good luck for your op Cath, all the best 🙂

Well Done Cath! You must be thrilled and with good reason.

So a new hip and a new future….how exciting.

I have been looking forward to seeing how the week has gone for you, weight wise. I have had my fingers crossed for you. I am really pleased for you.

Thanks Angie and Annette. 1 more weigh in on 17th and then in hospital from 18th. I’d be lying if I said I am not anxious but I am trying to look ahead to when all the gory part is over and I can start recovering and shedding my remaining flab 🙂

Cath I have been reading your thread quietly from the sidelines and found it inspiring, amusing and motivating – thank you.
    Just wanted to remind you – you will be having an enforced fast day on the day of your operation. You will also be using extra calories over the following days while your body repairs all the damaged tissue caused by surgery (that is inevitable).
    The Psysios will have you up and about pretty promptly so your recent exercise routine will help there 🙂
    Give yourself a little space to become mobile again, you have given yourself such a gift losing 21lbs prior to surgery – imagine carrying 4 x 5lb bags of potatoes while you need a frame to get help you get around! Well done you.
    I will be thinking of you and sending healing vibes too.
    Hugs

Cath I have also been following your thread and like Lindy have been inspired by you. What a gift you have given yourself to have dropped the 21 lbs.You have so set yourself up for a speedier recovery. All the very best. big hugs from me too.

Thanks so much Lindyw and double happy – the support on this forum from everyone is really fantastic! And it is good to think of it in terms of bags of potatoes isn’t it – it makes it more real!

Cath x

Cathy I also have been reading your posts and full of admiration, I had a hip replacement last year and lost 1 stone before the operation, but unfortunately it has all gone back on again. I am back on the fast diet after the Christmas binging but finding it difficult now the motivation has gone, but on the bright side, best thing I have done, to put your foot down and not feel pain is amazing even after a year I am still thankful the pain is not there, just come back from the gym doing 45 minutes exercise on bike, x trainer and treadmill, then a 45 minute aqua aerobics class so you may have that to look forward to after about 3 months.
    Hope all goes well and it is as successful as mine was and no regrets. Rita

Hi Rita, oh well done on getting back into the swing. And your exercise regime sounds very impressive!

After about 3 weeks off at Xmas I found the first few fast days nightmarish – but I have settled down into the pattern again now.

Although I am really nervous about the op – now delayed until Saturday – I do keep trying to picture being able to exercise (or even just go for a walk!)again without pain and limping. In fact my husband and I have been spending time online trying to find a holiday in June, by which time I hope I will be fully fit and much slimmer.

Thanks for your good wishes and telling me about your experience – it really helps 🙂

Cath x

Thinking of you, Cathyork xx

me too, Cathy

Good luck with op Cathy!
    Stef.

Thanks so much Aud, Piper and Stef. And everyone else who has been so lovely. I have to say that I have had so much fantastic support from you all – it is absolutely amazing!

Had my ‘transfusion & blood typing’ blood test this morning so it is all feeling very near now. Fasting today and maybe tomorrow too (I’ll see how I feel)before my weigh in on Friday morning. Fingers crossed for 12 stone. Then I’ll have a normal day Friday (apart from no alcohol Friday night) and then hospital 7am Saturday morning – I am getting very nervous!

Will post my final pre-op weigh in results on Friday morning 🙂

Cath x

Hi Cathy!

I think The Day is tomorrow (one more sleep)? All the best and still thinking of you ~ hang in there!

Aud x

Hi everyone – well the 16 week countdown is over – tomorrow is THE day of the operation.

Not done so well in losing anything this week – I have stayed the same – but that is fine in the scheme of things as I have still lost 1.5 stones overall and I believe that will definitely make a difference to the operation and rehab – not to mention the huge difference it has made to me both physically and psychologically!

I did start well by fasting Monday – but on Wednesday after a day of fasting my husband suggested going to the pub for a couple of beers and something to eat in the evening. We rarely ever do stuff like that and it was great to be spontaneous and take my mind off tomorrow! Then while we were there we entered and won the weekly quiz – up against numerous teams of 5-6 much younger people. And that was in spite of getting only 3/20 on the music round (which made us feel old!)But it was a lot of fun.

So I briefly tried to fast yesterday but I was tired and hungry so decided that I’d just cut down a bit and skipped lunch.

So the upshot is that I am still 12 stone 1.5 lb but I am fine with that.

I am extremely nervous about tomorrow. With my logical head on I know it is a routine operation successfully done on hundreds of thousands of people – but emotionally I am a bit of a wuss and don’t even like thinking about it. I just want to get it over with so that I can start concentrating on recovery, rehab, and in a few weeks getting back on 5:2 and seeing my weight reduce gradually to my target!

A massive thank you to Aud, Annette, Nika, Stef, Piper, Precious Boo Boo, Linds, RoBa, Rita, Angie, Lindyw, double happy and all you lovely people who have supported and encouraged me over the last few months. It has made a huge difference. I’ll be keeping up with posts once I am able to in a week or so and will be back on the 5:2 wagon soon enough.

Cath x

Good luck for tomorrow Cath. Keep us posted with your progress. Linda x

Hi Cathy,

I have been following your posts quite closely and just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow. I am positive it will go well and you will be well on the road to recovery in no time.

Your 1.5 stone loss is amazing and a testament to your will power.

All the best for tomorrow.

Jillian

Well Done Cathy,

That is an amazing achievement and will help you immensely on your recovery and rehabilitation.If you can find something around the house that weighs 1.5 stone, you will be able to see what a massive achievement that is.

I think that it was a fabulous idea to go out for the evening and just what you needed!

Every body is scared about surgery. You will be fine.

We will all be wishing you well and looking forward to hearing about your progress post op.

Annette

Hi Cath,
    I hope you are really proud of your success! It just goes to show what focus and commitment can achieve 🙂 Congratulations on winning the pub quiz too – win!! Agree with Annette about going out – sounds like the perfect medicine to me – good on you!

Really all the best for a smooth operation and speedy recovery… And then back on the wagon / truck! We’ll be here to welcome you back 🙂

Char xx

Cath I do hope you are eating normally today. You need to just to help the healing process to start after your op.
    Yes its a routine operation, performed daily so no problem – for the staff!
    From a patient point of view it is hopefully going to be a one off! So you are entitled to feel apprehensive.
    What a lovely husband you have, treating you to a fun evening out. I am sure he took your mind off things.
    Healing vibes coming your way and looking forward to your 16 weeks to Recovery thread
    🙂

A special hello to you Cath!

I’ve thought about you a lot in the last few days; I haven’t been able to come online but I sent you my good wishes for a successful op and a really good recuperation period.

You hit the nail right on the head when talking about how much you have lost since you started your countdown. I looked at your thread a little while ago but didn’t have time to actually post a message but my thoughts were; don’t focus on what you haven’t lost this week/s, focus on the fact that you were 1 1/2 stones lighter going into your operation!!

That is a fantastic achievement and quite apart from how much better you feel about yourself; it will definitely have an impact on your recuperation period.

I hope you are feeling justly proud of yourself and all the best for the coming weeks.
    You’ll have plenty of time to post since you will be doing a lot of resting!

as with Precious–a special hello to you and hoping your recupe is going well

Hello lovely fast friends, I’m back!

I haven’t really kept up with what has been going on in the last week – but I hope everyone is getting on really well.

My operation has been successful and I am surprisingly mobile on my crutches – but it has been a really tough time – mainly as I had a really bad reaction to both the morphine and the codeine and I have been very very sick.

Today is the first day I have felt even reasonably normal. It is also my first day on my own at home – which is proving challenging – but not undoable (husband back at work today – parents arriving Weds)

Anyway – I am trying to concentrate on the positives and my hip and leg feel better than I could have hoped for. It is hard work moving – especially for example getting in and out of bed – and that old 1.5 stone I lost has undoubtedly made a huge difference. If only I had known about the 5:2 and started earlier 🙂

I am not following 5:2 this week at least – although I am still only eating when hungry (though when my parents arrive I suspect I’ll be ambushed with food) – I will get weighed this next Friday (31st) and then potentially start again next week if I feel well enough.

Cath x

hey Cath- good to hear from you! Hope everything goes well!

Hi Cath ….so glad the op went well, Now just take it easy, don’t do too much and you’ll be fully mobile in no time. A friend has just had the same op and is doing really well, he says it’s the best thing ever.

Take care

xx

Welcome back to the fold Cath!
    So glad your op went well – sorry the drugs upset you and I hope they found something that did suit and kept you pain free.
    Take things slowly now, don’t run before you can walk 😛
    hugs

Fatty Bamboula says did you make your weight and how did you operation go?

FB

Thanks everyone – I am starting to feel more like my old self now. They advised me to spend a lot of each day lying down resting for the first two weeks – although I still need to walk on my crutches and do the exercises regularly. I am managing this no worries – I alternate between snoozing and reading and I am working my way through a lot of books!

I have been absolutely knackered – partly the whole ordeal and also just lack of sleep. In hospital it was just continual checks (BP, temperature etc.) and I can’t fault that – but since I have been home I have struggled to sleep – I kept having anxiety attacks just as I try to drop off – but I am putting this down to reaction to the drugs as it seems to be improving as the days go on. Last night I got a reasonable number of hours in although not unbroken so I am hoping it continues to improve. My poor husband is getting used to 4:30am tea toast and meds!

Mobility wise I am amazed that I can walk so well on my crutches and can bear my weight through the replaced hip. I am being really careful though. The worst aspect (for me) was being discharged with 24 syringes of anti-DVT medication with which I must inject myself nightly! I have an absolute horror of injections but no choice so I am jabbing as directed! Only 19 more to go…

As long as I feel back to normal from a bodily perspective I really want to restart 5:2 next week – but of course I will be sensible and only do this if I am up to it.

Cath x

Great to hear about your progress Cathy–we have been cheering you on. re your anxiety attacks it could be the anaesthetic–which can take months to wear its way out of the system.
    Sounds like you have all bases covered and what a lovely husband. all the best on your recoup.

Glad to hear you are recovering. I’ve had the anxiety issue twice after surgeries. I had it pretty severe and the anxiety at bedtime went on for a long time. What finally helped me was a GABA supplement called Pharma Gaba – not sure if this is something that you have in the UK or not. Hope you feel better soon!

Hi Cath,

I’m sure we’re all grateful that you’ve managed to pop online and update us – sorry, my internet has been down for 2 days but it seems to be working now… I’m now in a dilemma as to whether I should cancel the Virgin engineer.. you know what it’s like!

So glad to hear that you are through the other side, albeit sore and careful and having to endure injections, I am seriously in awe, I’m really not sure I could manage that {{gentle hugs}}

Your anxiety experience reminds of a short story by Shirley Jackson (I have a penchant for Gothic, American and otherwise) – she wrote such a sharply observed story called ‘The Tooth’ – anyone who has ever had to endure any sort of intensive medical procedure will absolutely get it and the character’s anxieties, so if you’re looking for something else to read to pass the time ATM, I recommend ‘The Lottery and Other Stories’. Of course the character from ‘The Tooth’ ends up running down a New York street raving mad and stark naked (in my mind anyway) – at least that’s not in your remit at present ;D

As for 5:2, as you said, you see how you feel, you can always come on the forum and give us slaps to get a grip and there’s nowt we could say to contradict a convalescent, lol.

Take CARE and *hugs* to your hubby for being a good egg,

Aud x

Hi all – I am trying to get back on to 5:2 from today as I am feeling (and sleeping) much better. I do feel much improved generally – walking better on my crutches etc. and I really just want to regain a feeling of being back to normal although there are 4 weeks before I get off the crutches (and 2 more weeks of self-injections).

My weight on Friday was 12st 1lb – actually half a pound down from my final pre-op weight. I ate very little in hospital as I was so sick – but in the last week I have made up for it by really regaining my appetite – and I have had lots of treats (I really do mean lots!) as my mam & dad came to stay. I am not sure if that will reflect on the scales by the end of this week!

So today is my first fast day for a while. A lot will be dictated by pain management as although I can take the paracetamol on an empty stomach I can’t take the ibruprofen – although as I slept late this morning I’ve had nothing so far (food or drugs) and it is approaching noon and I actually feel OK. So I am going to try to do the usual full day fast with a <500 calorie meal tonight.

My BMI will not be ‘normal’ until I hit 10 stone 6lbs so that is really my next target – a total of 23 more pounds – more than the 21.5 lbs I have already lost – but I do feel that I can do this with 5:2 – and maybe 4:3 when I feel fully recovered.

Aud – thanks for your Shirley Jackson recommendation – I got “The Lottery” on my Kindle. I must admit I am not usually that into short stories (though I read an awful lot – usually several novels a week), but I loved her writing. So dark and scary! Any other recommendations would be appreciated as I am powering through books at a rate of knots. Almost finished the new Donna Tartt “The Goldfinch”, although I’m not sure I am really enjoying it.

I hope everyone has a great week and that the fasting goes well.

Cath xx

Hi Cath,

Sorry I haven’t replied – I am ground down by work, it’s boring, I won’t bother you , LOL. I am interested to hear you lost weight in hospital – I have been very fortunate not to spend much time in hospital but have found the same. As a veggie, I was once served a chicken salad, lol.

I say have the treats and sod it, plenty of time later to get back on track, although.. did you mange a full day fast on the 3rd? I hope you are eating enough to fuel your recovery *sneaks you a Wagon Wheel for later*

I will investigate the Donna Tartt book (with a name like that, who could refuse, lol). Other recs… golly, ummm.. if you enjoyed the US slant, what about ‘Of Mice and Men’ and ‘Cannery Row’, Steinbeck? Both are comparatively short but so revealing when it comes to the human psyche, especially ‘Cannery Row’, so evocative and bitter-sweet. I have ‘I have always lived in a Castle’ on order from the library, damn it, why isn’t here yet?! My usual fare is the Argos catalogue 🙂

Me? Doing 4:3 again!
    Aud x

Well after getting back on the wagon this week I am delighted to have lost 3lb this week. 🙂

But most importantly this has finally taken me below the 12 stone ‘barrier’! Woo hoo!! Looking back on my progress tracking chart I can see that it has taken me almost 4 months to shed that last stone, but considering that I had a lot of weeks off because of Christmas, New Year and my operation, that seems OK.

weight now (7th Feb) 11st 12lb
    LOSS THIS WEEK = 3.0lb
    TOTAL LOSS = 24.5lb

NEW GOALS:
    1. GET UNDER 11 stone – aim to do this by 4th April (8 weeks time)
    2. REACH A HEALTHY BMI = 10stone 6lbs
    3. REACH ULTIMATE GOAL = 10 stone

I appreciate that the weight loss is not always predictable and linear, but it gives me something to aim for and I am going to a posh ‘do’ on 5th April, and I am hoping that I may be able to exhume a dress from the furthest reaches of my wardrobe that I last wore in January 2000 and that it will fit!

I am feeling really motivated now. I am walking better every day and hope to get outside at the weekend for some limited walking up and down the road (and some fresh air). It is only 3 weeks since my operation but in another 3 weeks I see the doctor again and then I should be able to start physiotherapy and hopefully start to exercise and get fit again.

Hope everyone else had a good week.

Aud – thanks for the book recommendations – I think I did read both those books years ago – but it could be time for a revisit. Hope your 4:3 is going OK and that you are feeling better.

Cath x

Hi Cath, I’m glad you are getting on ok and well done on the weight loss – I’m sure it will keep coming off and the dress will fit!

I’m happy to say after no loss for a couple of weeks I’ve lost 1.6lbs and am down to 12stone 8.4lbs(I’ve got some analytical scales now so it’s in lbs and ounces!). I am now the lightest I have been in a long time and have lost 18.6lbs so far. I have similiar goals to you. My starting weight was a little lower but the end weight I would love to get to is 10 stone (maybe 9 stone 13lbs!). I’m hoping to go on holiday in May so my goal for then is to be under 11 stone. Linda

Hi Linda – oh well done you that’s great progress! Not sure about the analytical scales though – they sound scary!

Our goals do sound really similar – I’m sure we can support each other through this 🙂

Cath x

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 473 total)

You must be logged in to reply.